Messi: I am not a ´true great´ like Maradona

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

14 May 2014

Lionel Messi does not believe that he deserves to be compared to Argentina legend Diego Maradona until he has lifted the FIFA World Cup.

The Barcelona talisman goes into the finals in Brazil as Argentina's main attacking threat and wearing the number 10 shirt made famous by Maradona during his 17-year international career.

The former Argentina captain won the World Cup in 1986 when he scored five goals on their way to beating West Germany in the final.

Comparisons have been made between Messi and Maradona and their influence on the national team, but the 26-year-old does not feel that he can claim to be his compatriot's equal just yet.

"The comparison with Maradona is a very nice compliment, but not one that I can accept yet," Messi told Goal. "He did so much for the national team - and I don't think any player can be considered a true great until they have won the World Cup.

"I hope that I can do that and I hope I can do that this summer - but until then I don't talk about me as the best.

"When people say nice things about you and the way you play the game it is always nice to hear - but I have always said when I retire is the time to look back at what I have achieved.

"For now it's about constantly trying to improve and winning things with Barcelona and Argentina."

Messi made his international debut in 2005 and will be playing in his third World Cup in Brazil.

http://us.soccerway.com/news/2014/May/1 ... a/n288331/
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Messi: I am not a ´true great´ like Maradona

Post by Tbite »

After this article...I am ALMOST a fan of Messi...almost!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

iworo wrote:[

"The comparison with Maradona is a very nice compliment, but not one that I can accept yet," Messi told Goal. "He did so much for the national team - and I don't think any player can be considered a true great until they have won the World Cup

"I hope that I can do that and I hope I can do that this summer - but until then I don't talk about me as the best..

/

what I've been saying for years, and Messi apologists just won't shut up

He's a club great...end of.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Messi is trying hard to tell us so if he wins the world cup we should call he great abi?
He is good but he need to be the main man when they win it not just an ok player.
So most waste pipe that won the world cup we should call them great players?
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

Messi is just being modest here, you don't have to win the WC to be a great champion.....the same way he cannot turn around and say Maradona is not a great champion because he did not win the CL.

Many things fall into place for a player to win the WC or any other trophy....Messi has scored 37 goals in 83 games for Argentina and Maradona scored 34 in 91. Messi has not lit up a big tournament for Argentina like Maradona did in 1986 and he may never but this should not take anything away from his greatness, Maradona cannot come back and do the amazing things Messi has done in European football either...does not take anything away from his greatness too.
To God be the glory
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

tfco wrote:
iworo wrote:[

"The comparison with Maradona is a very nice compliment, but not one that I can accept yet," Messi told Goal. "He did so much for the national team - and I don't think any player can be considered a true great until they have won the World Cup

"I hope that I can do that and I hope I can do that this summer - but until then I don't talk about me as the best..

/

what I've been saying for years, and Messi apologists just won't shut up

He's a club great...end of.
Well said.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I like his humility, but I'm a little suprised. A lot of great players don't shy away from such comparisms.
cyrilndo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cyrilndo »

kajifu wrote:Messi is trying hard to tell us so if he wins the world cup we should call he great abi?
He is good but he need to be the main man when they win it not just an ok player.
So most waste pipe that won the world cup we should call them great players?
At least I am not alone when i read that.
" The best way to have a fair judgement on anything is to imagine yourself sitting somewhere in space watching planet earth with the beings that inhabit it, especially those who call themselves homo sapiens. You have no nationality or tribe, you are not a fan of Arsenal, Barca, Inter Milan, Manchester United etc. You won't see a booty or huge boobs if they walk pass you. Money is like tissue to you. what is your opinion? "

This post has been made by camex whom I have ignored.
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

Messi is already great :?
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

If he wins the world cup with Argentina then he will be greater than Diego..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

papparassi Sport wrote:If he wins the world cup with Argentina then he will be greater than Diego..
maybe in your own head .smh .. the guy came out and said he isn't better than Maradona and you are here saying otherwise..( get this Argentina will not be winning this worldcup on Brazilian soil and they are grouped in the cursed group F ... no team ever grouped in Group F has lifted the worldcup trophy. everyone has an opinion, so do the copy paste spammer..
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Thu May 15, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

He was won more medals in football than Diego and is the only player to have won the Ballon D' awards 4 times in a row! He only needs to play well and help Argentina win the world cup .
Bigpokey24 wrote:
papparassi Sport wrote:If he wins the world cup with Argentina then he will be greater than Diego..
maybe in your own head .smh .. the guy came out and said he isn't better than Maradona and you are here saying otherwise..( get this Argentina will not be winning this worldcup on Brazilian soil and they are grouped the the cursed group F ... no team ever grouped in Group F has lifted the worldcup trophy. everyone has an opinion, so do the copy paste spammer..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

what the heck is " he was won" :shock:
SuperEagles

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

I guess paparrassi coach is not great since he never won the APOY.Or Adebayor is greater than Jay jay since he has won the APOY.My friend winning the wpoy does not mean you are better than some people who never won it.Apart from Barca what else has he done.Same Barca players are the reason Spain looks like the best national team in history of the game.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Messi has won everything with Barca and has also won the World Youth Cup in 2005 and 2008 Olympics with Argentina. All he needs is a world cup..
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Not really, His case is exceptional.

Messi needs World Cup win to join greats: Ardiles

Lionel Messi would trade all his Barcelona success for a World Cup winners' medal with Argentina to sit alongside the game's greats, according to compatriot Ossie Ardiles.

"That is how important the World Cup is for him," said Ardiles, who was in the Argentina team that won the 1978 World Cup at home in Buenos Aires.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/14/me ... ts-ardiles
kajifu wrote:I guess paparrassi coach is not great since he never won the APOY.Or Adebayor is greater than Jay jay since he has won the APOY.My friend winning the wpoy does not mean you are better than some people who never won it.Apart from Barca what else has he done.Same Barca players are the reason Spain looks like the best national team in history of the game.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Oboy he is great but not oga Maradona level.If he win the world cup I will not put him along side Diego Maradona.I will like to see him win it but this world cup I see Argentina chance only if Brazil and Germany are out befor they face them.Something tells me an African team might get to semi or win it like play like play.Alot of drama to come.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
kai min 5.25
SuperEagles

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I disagree with his assertion that one needs to win the WC to be considered a great. Plenty of greats have never won the WC. Plenty of greats will never win it. Messi is already an all-time great however to be considered up with Pele and Maradona, he will need to win a WC. All this talk of Messi being a WC failure is hog-wash and pre-mature. He was 18, coming off a 4-month injury spell, and was not a key member of Argentina's 2006 squad. In 2010, he played well in Argentina's first 4 matches and despite not scoring any goals, he directly contributed to probably 70% of Argentina's goals in the tournament. He lost a great chance to win it in 2010 due to poor managing by Maradona. In my estimation, Messi has this WC and 2018 in Russia to try to get it done. This time around wont be easy but winning a WC rarely is.

Argentina looks like they will have a fairly light schedule and will sleep-walk their way to the top of their group. On paper they should comfortably advance to the semis. It will take good managing by Sabella to propel Argentina to WC glory. Argentina has all the pieces this time around and I am sure Messi will deliver the goods. Its a matter of Argentina achieving the right tactical balance in the latter stages of this tournament (and avoiding Brazil at all costs).
Nipsy
Egg
Egg

Post by Nipsy »

Guys, guys, please just stop this nonsense. Being a great player is not about statistics. You watch Zidane trap the ball and glide past players, and you don't need his stats to decide he's a great player at the highest level. You watch Maradona and Messi on the ball, and there's no way in hell Messi even comes close. Look, he can score 100 goals in this world cup, and win the another 4 world cups, scoring 500 goals in all, but no way will he be a better player than Maradona. When you are talking about players at this level, you're talking about a level where sports meets art, and please, don't demean it by dragging some kind of statistics into the mix of the stuff of peoples' souls.

I'm pretty sure Ronaldo will smash all Pele's records (OK, maybe outside winning the world cup). Would you then place them at the same level? Same level of artistry, and magic? I'd like to know.

So just stop all this nonsense, abeg.
Last edited by Nipsy on Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Heliopolis wrote:I disagree with his assertion that one needs to win the WC to be considered a great. Plenty of greats have never won the WC. Plenty of greats will never win it. Messi is already an all-time great however to be considered up with Pele and Maradona, he will need to win a WC. All this talk of Messi being a WC failure is hog-wash and pre-mature. He was 18, coming off a 4-month injury spell, and was not a key member of Argentina's 2006 squad. In 2010, he played well in Argentina's first 4 matches and despite not scoring any goals, he directly contributed to probably 70% of Argentina's goals in the tournament. He lost a great chance to win it in 2010 due to poor managing by Maradona. In my estimation, Messi has this WC and 2018 in Russia to try to get it done. This time around wont be easy but winning a WC rarely is.
Argentina looks like they will have a fairly light schedule and will sleep-walk their way to the top of their group. On paper they should comfortably advance to the semis. It will take good managing by Sabella to propel Argentina to WC glory. Argentina has all the pieces this time around and I am sure Messi will deliver the goods. Its a matter of Argentina achieving the right tactical balance in the latter stages of this tournament (and avoiding Brazil at all costs).
Everything you wrote are excuses, not once did you even blame messi..talk about pure rubbish
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Thu May 15, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Nipsy wrote:Guys, guys, please just stop this nonsense. Being a great player is not about statistics. You watch Zidane trap the ball and glide past players, and you don't need his stats to decide he's a great player at the highest level. You watch Maradona and Messi on the ball, and there's no way in hell Messi even comes close. Look, he can score 100 goals in this world cup, and win the another 4 world cups, scoring 500 goals in all, but no way will he be a better player than Maradona. When you are talking about players at this level, you're talking about a level where sports meets art, and please, don't demean it by dragging some kind of logistics into the mix of the stuff of peoples' souls.

I'm pretty sure Ronaldo will smash all Pele's records (OK, maybe outside winning the world cup). Would you then place them at the same level? Same level of artistry, and magic? I'd like to know.

So just stop all this nonsense, abeg.
Thank you bros, some people just forget so soon.Diego Maradona is in another level, Messi is just a good player.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

something we been 'knew' from long time

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf: