Balogun Says We Must Learn To Play Dirty

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Shownoja
Egg
Egg
Balogun Says We Must Learn To Play Dirty

Post by Shownoja »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44710504
Leon Balogun has called on his Nigeria team-mates to learn football's darker arts following their World Cup exit.

The Super Eagles exited the tournament last week when losing to Argentina, who themselves crashed out on Saturday.

"It's always important when you play internationals to be a bit dirty," the defender, 30, told BBC Sport.

"That's what Argentina has, definitely, and you also need to be cold-blooded - that's probably the most important (lesson from this World Cup)."

Despite winning just 22 caps, Balogun is one of the more experienced figures in a Nigeria squad that was the youngest of all the teams in Russia, with an average of 25.

The Super Eagles finished third in Group D after defeats by Croatia and Argentina either side of a 2-0 win over Iceland.

The victory kept them in contention until just four minutes from the end of their campaign, when Marcos Rojo's late strike sunk Nigeria and ended a World Cup that had promised more.

"It will be very important to keep going the way we have started," the new Brighton and Hove Albion signing added.

"We have experienced players, young players, talented players - and there are even more players that are not in the team yet - and we have to keep developing them and investing in their football education.

"We just have to keep working and keep our focus on advancing year after year and then in the next four years we will have a good team - maybe an even better one."

William Troost-Ekong
William Troost-ekong started alongside Leon Balogun in all three or Nigeria's World Cup matches.
Balogun's central defensive partner William Troost-Ekong also hopes the experience gained by the squad can lead to a brighter future for the Super Eagles.

He also wonders whether a silver lining can come from the dressing room atmosphere following the bitter defeat to the South Americans in St Petersburg.

"Everyone was just trying to deal with the loss and move on, so it was a quiet dressing room but definitely one that learnt a lot and hopefully formed some players," he told BBC Sport.

Prior to these finals, only five members of the current Nigeria squad had ever played in the World Cup before - with John Obi Mikel, Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa all seeing action in Russia while Elderson Echiejile and Oganyi Onazi were unused.

Now, 13 more have experienced World Cup football.

"This is what you need as a team," Troost-Ekong, 24, told BBC Sport.

"When you talk about that Argentinian team, that's a team that has experienced all levels, Croatia are the same while Iceland have played the Euros together.

"You need a tournament like this just to learn what it is like to play at this level, under this pressure, in front of the whole world.

"Hopefully by the next time we get to a World Cup, and if we can be part of that with all the players (who played in Russia), it will be nothing new to us and it might be easier for us to perform at a higher level."

Troost-Ekong also highlighted the team spirit within Nigeria, whose squads in the past have often been accused of being more about individuals than togetherness.

"All of us are really down to earth and most of us are quite young," he said.

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has been in charge of the Super Eagles since August 2016
"I think everyone has got great harmony, everyone wants to work for each other and if we can keep this up then it is definitely promising for the future."

Following their World Cup exit, Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr - who signed a two-year contract extension last year - also praised the mood within the camp.

"I think the future is for Nigeria because the spirit is wonderful, big solidarity and you see in these difficult moments how great the spirit the team is," he told BBC Sport.

The German is keen to focus on two main areas following the Russia campaign - slow starts and a newfound belief.

"What they learned is to be better in the beginning of the match," he explained. "We reacted well in all three matches in the second half, so our start must be better.

"Also - we should have no complex now. We have seen that we can win against good teams like Iceland. We had some mistakes of youthfulness, like conceding penalties, but all the time the team is in this collective spirit and I like it."

Nigeria's next competitive match comes in September when they play an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against the Seychelles.
The highlighted is what I said after the game. They beat us because they knew the craft of winning by playing dirty. It's not illegal, it's just working within the margins of the rules.
To stop trying is to start dying
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Balogun Says We Must Learn To Play Dirty

Post by Kabalega »

Am I the only one tired of reading the phrase "in the future?"

We heard it in 2010, then 2014 and now 2018.

I bet you we will hear it before 2022. :sneaky:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Shownoja wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44710504
Leon Balogun has called on his Nigeria team-mates to learn football's darker arts following their World Cup exit.

The Super Eagles exited the tournament last week when losing to Argentina, who themselves crashed out on Saturday.

"It's always important when you play internationals to be a bit dirty," the defender, 30, told BBC Sport.

"That's what Argentina has, definitely, and you also need to be cold-blooded - that's probably the most important (lesson from this World Cup)."

Despite winning just 22 caps, Balogun is one of the more experienced figures in a Nigeria squad that was the youngest of all the teams in Russia, with an average of 25.

The Super Eagles finished third in Group D after defeats by Croatia and Argentina either side of a 2-0 win over Iceland.

The victory kept them in contention until just four minutes from the end of their campaign, when Marcos Rojo's late strike sunk Nigeria and ended a World Cup that had promised more.

"It will be very important to keep going the way we have started," the new Brighton and Hove Albion signing added.

"We have experienced players, young players, talented players - and there are even more players that are not in the team yet - and we have to keep developing them and investing in their football education.

"We just have to keep working and keep our focus on advancing year after year and then in the next four years we will have a good team - maybe an even better one."

William Troost-Ekong
William Troost-ekong started alongside Leon Balogun in all three or Nigeria's World Cup matches.
Balogun's central defensive partner William Troost-Ekong also hopes the experience gained by the squad can lead to a brighter future for the Super Eagles.

He also wonders whether a silver lining can come from the dressing room atmosphere following the bitter defeat to the South Americans in St Petersburg.

"Everyone was just trying to deal with the loss and move on, so it was a quiet dressing room but definitely one that learnt a lot and hopefully formed some players," he told BBC Sport.

Prior to these finals, only five members of the current Nigeria squad had ever played in the World Cup before - with John Obi Mikel, Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa all seeing action in Russia while Elderson Echiejile and Oganyi Onazi were unused.

Now, 13 more have experienced World Cup football.

"This is what you need as a team," Troost-Ekong, 24, told BBC Sport.

"When you talk about that Argentinian team, that's a team that has experienced all levels, Croatia are the same while Iceland have played the Euros together.

"You need a tournament like this just to learn what it is like to play at this level, under this pressure, in front of the whole world.

"Hopefully by the next time we get to a World Cup, and if we can be part of that with all the players (who played in Russia), it will be nothing new to us and it might be easier for us to perform at a higher level."

Troost-Ekong also highlighted the team spirit within Nigeria, whose squads in the past have often been accused of being more about individuals than togetherness.

"All of us are really down to earth and most of us are quite young," he said.

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has been in charge of the Super Eagles since August 2016
"I think everyone has got great harmony, everyone wants to work for each other and if we can keep this up then it is definitely promising for the future."

Following their World Cup exit, Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr - who signed a two-year contract extension last year - also praised the mood within the camp.

"I think the future is for Nigeria because the spirit is wonderful, big solidarity and you see in these difficult moments how great the spirit the team is," he told BBC Sport.

The German is keen to focus on two main areas following the Russia campaign - slow starts and a newfound belief.

"What they learned is to be better in the beginning of the match," he explained. "We reacted well in all three matches in the second half, so our start must be better.

"Also - we should have no complex now. We have seen that we can win against good teams like Iceland. We had some mistakes of youthfulness, like conceding penalties, but all the time the team is in this collective spirit and I like it."

Nigeria's next competitive match comes in September when they play an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against the Seychelles.
The highlighted is what I said after the game. They beat us because they knew the craft of winning by playing dirty. It's not illegal, it's just working within the margins of the rules.
The cold blooded part should be directed at Ighalo’s useless self back posting on social as if nothing happened mschew...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
solo
Egg
Egg

Post by solo »

Kabalega wrote:Am I the only one tired of reading the phrase "in the future?"

There is always going to be future, win or lose, as long as new players are coming, it is a continues work.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

solo wrote:

There is always going to be future, win or lose, as long as new players are coming, it is a continues work.
Unfortunately we are not seeing better outcomes... :twisted:

BTW, Naija is already playing dirty.... even against minnows and that is the big problem with Africa's qualification system.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

If that is the assumed missing link, then there’s no hope for Nigeria at all. It wasn’t attention to hygiene that sent them home.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Don't you feel depressed and sad that day in day out you are consumed with the SE when NOBODY including yourself even thinks about the Cranes for a second? I know I would if I were in your shoes.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

1naija wrote:

Don't you feel depressed and sad that day in day out you are consumed with the SE when NOBODY including yourself even thinks about the Cranes for a second? I know I would if I were in your shoes.
What is The Cranes all time record against Nigeria?
That is the depressing part...

But it is a work in progress. Soon the Cranes will be at a World Cup and probably win it before Naija.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Kabalega wrote:
1naija wrote:

But it is a work in progress. Soon the Cranes will be at a World Cup and probably win it before Naija.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Thanks Kaba, my day needed that.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
1naija wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Thanks Kaba, my day needed that.
Enjoy it because you have less than 20 hours left and more heartache unless you avoid certain countries... :taunt: :taunt:
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

He should first learn how to pass the ball instead of booting it out all day long.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

We sound like this is our first World Cup. How many times have we played Argentina again?
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Yes Leon you are right, but we need you to continue working on being more comfortable moving the ball :taunt: .
Last edited by Kneedeep on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

DIMKA76 wrote:We sound like this is our first World Cup. How many times have we played Argentina again?
You people keep beating yourself unnecessarily. Argentina is God's personal tutor assigned to Nigeria. The day we get our independence from them is the day we graduate into WC big boys. Everytime they pls us, arguably the best player in the world is always the difference - Maradona and Messi. They have them and we don't. They won't always have them.

In the meantime, we keep learning and evolving. I know if We have the best player in the SE, I sure won't expect Argentina to beat us. Yes we are sad, but we keep evolving.

Balogun is right but the ref allows them to get away with it. They might not be so accommodating with an African team. They will say we are too physical, cheating, .......
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:
1naija wrote:

Chief Kabalega, I am glad you said "probably." However, we all know such will not happen; at least, not within the next 100 years. By then, many of us, if not all, might be dead. Thus, we will never know
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
1naija wrote:

Chief Kabalega, I am glad you said "probably." However, we all know such will not happen; at least, not within the next 100 years. By then, many of us, if not all, might be dead. Thus, we will never know
You want to bet against a Ugandan side that beat Naija with a 2nd string side in Nigeria? A Ugandan side that almost qualified for the WC ahead of Egypt and Ghana?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

DIMKA76 wrote:We sound like this is our first World Cup. How many times have we played Argentina again?
It was for almost 80% of the team.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

pajimoh wrote:
You people keep beating yourself unnecessarily. Argentina is God's personal tutor assigned to Nigeria. The day we get our independence from them is the day we graduate into WC big boys. Everytime they pls us, arguably the best player in the world is always the difference - Maradona and Messi. They have them and we don't. They won't always have them.

In the meantime, we keep learning and evolving. I know if We have the best player in the SE, I sure won't expect Argentina to beat us. Yes we are sad, but we keep evolving.

Balogun is right but the ref allows them to get away with it. They might not be so accommodating with an African team. They will say we are too physical, cheating, .......
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

pajimoh wrote:

Not in WC 2002. :idea: Let us just accept that they have our number.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

KPOM :!:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

metalalloy wrote:
It was for almost 80% of the team.
More than 80% of the team has played against Argentina.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

solo wrote:

They dont play football over there , do not waste your time, that is why he does not get it.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Leon Balogun will be asked serious questions in the EPL. So far, he does not seem to have that "rough n tumble". Hope he gets it, otherwise he may end up Isaac Okoronkwo Part II.