The rise of Emmanuel Iwu - 18 Year Old GK @Heartland

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
The rise of Emmanuel Iwu - 18 Year Old GK @Heartland

Post by Sunset »

The rise of Emmanuel Iwu
http://www.supersport.com/football/nige ... manuel_Iwu
by Ojeikere Aikhoje 14 August 2014, 20:40

Nobody expected Heartland's Emmanuel Iwu to get in between the sticks for the famous club so soon, but he appears ready for the challenge.

Iwu was close to joining the Naze Millionaires last season, but was not registered due to his age.

As a result, the youngster had to wait till the 2013/14 season to be considered again by veteran manager, Kelechi Emeteole.

With the experienced Ebele Obi, Chinedu Udeh and Emmanuel Phillip, it was obvious Iwu would remain on the bench for a long time.

Call him a rookie and you would not be wrong as the Shell Cup and National Sports Festival in Rivers State were all he could put together in his credentials.

DEBUT

Iwu's opportunity to hog the headlines came on match day nine when Obi was unable to come out for the second half against a star-studded Enyimba side.

Add the fact that Heartland had gone four matches at home without a victory, then you will understand the pressure from the fans.

Iwu was on the bench and the obvious substitute on match day, but no one expected his chance would come against Enyimba.

In fact, many were left scratching their heads and wondering how the untested youngster would fare against an Enyimba side with stars like Mfon Udoh, Abdulrahman Bashir, Kingsley Sokari et al.

The rest is now history as he kept a clean sheet on a day Heartland earned their first victory and was listed to star for the first time against champions, Kano Pillars, in the next match which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Since then, the youngster has continued to impress for Heartland and was in goal when the Naze Millionaires earned a point at Sharks, on match day 23.

"I knew my time would come one day, so I just continued to work hard. I wasn't registered last season, but the coming of Emeteole changed my story," he told supersport.com.

APPROVAL

Credit for Iwu's rise to prominence in the league will go to Emeteole, who registered the lad this term.

"I registered Iwu because I like young players. I've always given youngsters a chance to play in all my previous clubs.

"Iwu has impressed me and I believe he will continue to do well," Emeteole said to supersport.com.

Name: Emmanuel Iwu

Club: Heartland

Previous League club: None

Glo Premier League Debut: v Enyimba, Saturday, April 22, 2014

Role Models: Ebele Obi, Chijioke Ejiogu, Daniel Akpeyi