Sterling criticized for being too tired to play for England

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

femibyte
Egg
Egg
Sterling criticized for being too tired to play for England

Post by femibyte »

If England cannot beat Estonia w/o Sterling then they don't deserve to make it...

Raheem Sterling appears to hit back at criticism after Roy Hodgson reveals England winger told him he was too tired to start against Estonia in Euro 2016 qualifier
Raheem Sterling retweets those criticising his decision to pull out of England's startling line-up against Estonia on Sunday evening in Tallinn
Sterling writes himself: 'Now listening to... Excuse me for being human'
The 19-year-old came on in the 64th minute and won the winning free kick
Roy Hodgson says 'there are times when top league teams with Champions League football when players suffer from a physical and mental fatigue'

By KIERAN GILL FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 19:16 EST, 12 October 2014 | UPDATED: 03:10 EST, 13 October 2014

Raheem Sterling appeared to hit back at those criticising him after England manager Roy Hodgson revealed the 19-year-old said he was too tired to start against Estonia.
The Liverpool winger tweeted a cryptic response shortly after midnight on Monday: 'Now listening to... Excuse me for being human. On my way home.'
The message came after Sterling retweeted those criticising his decision, including one post that suggested he should 'try getting up at 5am six days a week and putting in a proper shift'.

Sterling retweeted those criticising him online before writing: 'Now listening to... Excuse me for being human'
Sterling (centre) seemed quite relaxed on the bench during the first half in Tallinn
+8
Sterling (centre) seemed quite relaxed on the bench during the first half in Tallinn
IT'S ALL A MATTER OF MINUTES...
Of the players England used against Estonia, only Gary Cahill has played more minutes this season than Raheem Sterling

1164 - Gary Cahill
1079 - Raheem Sterling
1064 - Jack Wilshere
1035 - Jordan Henderson
995 - Calum Chambers
990 - Joe Hart
990 - Leighton Baines
919 - Phil Jagielka
836 - Danny Welbeck
758 - Wayne Rooney
741 - Fabian Delph
538 - Adam Lallana
Sterling started on the bench for England's Euro 2016 qualifier against Estonia before being brought on in the 64th minute, winning the free kick that led to Wayne Rooney's only goal.
Sterling failed to complete training on Saturday night after only playing 45 minutes in Thursday's 5-0 win against San Marino at Wembley, and Adam Lallana started in his place on Sunday.
After the 1-0 win, Hodgson said: 'People don't like it when you simplistically tell the truth.
'We were training at The Grove doing a light session but some work in how we wanted to play the game tactically.
'Just before we started, Raheem had done the warm up and he came to me and said, "Look I really am feeling a bit tired, I'm not in my best form at the moment because I am feeling a bit tired".
'So I said the best thing is Adam Lallana starts the game and you rest and I have got you to bring on from the bench, simple as that.
'As you saw when he came on there is nothing wrong with him and he isn't suffering from anything.'
Hodgson also claimed Liverpool's poor start to the new Premier League season could be behind Sterling's decision to pull out of the starting line-up in Tallinn.

Sterling's Liverpool team-mate Adam Lallana started in his place after the 19-year-old complained of tiredness

There is an awful lot going on in his head. Perhaps it's quite simply the season hasn't started quite as well for Liverpool as they wanted
'There is an awful lot going on in his head,' the England manager added. 'Perhaps it's quite simply the season hasn't started quite as well for Liverpool as they wanted.
'He's a player who's always in the focus and spotlight for England and Liverpool, maybe that's had some effect. But I don't know, it's a theory.
'In mitigation of a young player, when you break into a team like Liverpool and you have a fantastic season, then you go to the World Cup and you do well and people regard you as one of the few who lived up to his reputation.
'Then you come back and you're still only 19 years of age, there are a lot of other things that play a part it people's make up. It isn't quite as simple as the training you're doing maybe taking some juice from your legs.'
Roy Hodgson: Raheem Sterling came to me complaining of tiredness

Sterling told Roy Hodgson he was feeling tired and not in the right mental state during training on Saturday

Sterling came on in the 64th minute but still received criticism from those on Twitter for his decision
ENGLAND PLAYERS AGAINST ESTONIA BY AGE...
32 - Jagielka, Lambert
29 - Baines
28 - Rooney, Cahill
27 - Hart
26 - Lallana
24 - Henderson, Delph
23 - Welbeck
22 - Wilshere
21 - Oxlade-Chamberlain
19 - Chambers, Sterling
Hodgson insists the Liverpool youngster played at his best in the A. Le Coq Arena, and says bringing Sterling on in place of Jordan Henderson should be no cause for concern.
'Don't forget it was two days after quite a difficult game against San Marino. It was two days after the game,' Hodgson continued.
'It was fatigue he hadn't managed to shake off after the San Marino game, it was no more complicated than that. Is it common? I don't really know.
'At international level, when there are so many good players trying to get their hands on the shirt, I don't think you should keep hold of it when maybe you are feeling yourself that you're not at your best.
'We have to take players' welfare into consideration and there are times when top league teams with Champions League football when players suffer from a physical and mental fatigue.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3G12kviqu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ifier.html
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com