SUGGESTION: TEMPORARY DISABLING ACCESS FOR GUESTS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Rogba
Egg
Egg
SUGGESTION: TEMPORARY DISABLING ACCESS FOR GUESTS

Post by Rogba »

Can i hear your view on this.

I intend to temporarily disable access to the site unless you are registered member. The intention is to force registration in order for the forum to be adequately tested for performance well before ANC. This will enable me to properly assess the requirements we will need for this forum to be crash free and maximise performance delivery for the long term.
With God all things are possible
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

If it is a temporary thing then go ahead. I mean it is been done for the good of the forum. Btw Rogba I beg you fit send me via PM the link to the poll administration section of the main site?
mystic

Post by mystic »

Just how long is temporary?
Rogba
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogba »

Good question. That caught me unawares. How about time for enough number of registrants to keep the site busy. Say 2-7 days.

How about the stipulation that if you don't register before a specific date before ANC, there is no guarantee of accessing the site. My concern is bandwidth. We've got limited bandwidth here unlike the previous forum.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Rogba:

Bear in mind that traffic during the ANC will be far more than any during this period. Also note that it may not be a great idea to freeze those who want to join during the ANC as that period is the period when we get numerous new members.
Rogba
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogba »

Enugu II,

U tok true.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

personally, i think guest account should be disabled permanently.

If we are to maintain rules on foul language ad stuff, we should reduce the ability of someone logging on as guest and saying whatever.

Guest accounts are being used on Ghana forum to say silly things.

It should not happen here.
IF YOU WANT TO CONTRIBUTE: BE A MEMBER
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

I agree with Pa Jimoh, looking at the log in members listed above you will notice that traffic is heavy and this will surely test the server.
Guest membership should be IP linked(if this is possible) and you can only be a guest once from that IP address you will be prompted to register next time you log in as guest...this I think should and ought to be a long time solution to the Guest issue. Knowing your traffic patterns helps prepare for the crowded time like ANC and that we don't have, a good membership stats will help in management and other admin related issues..i believe
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Rogba
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogba »

I actually agree with PaJimoh and Enugu II on a number of things.

The idea is a marriage of both(PaJimoh,Enug II) ideas where we disable guests entry not permanently but outside big games or competitions. We then allow guests during big competitions for the reason to encourage visits and awareness of CE site and disable guests entry once the big games are over.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

How do we prevent people logged on as guest from using abusive words?

Personally, I think if people want to contribute, they will register. I also expect people to register in droves once the ANC starts. To give them option is limiting our membership. People will still log on as guest to view, but they should not be able to contribute without registering.

I've seen the type of contribution people logged on as guest make to sites like Ghanaweb, it an opportunity to come in without a face and say whatever one pleases.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

My views on this subject is that we should allow Guests access to the Forum during ANC or any big competition and disable the access at any other times.

Here is a good example on this Forum, if you are NOT registered, you can participate and registration only takes a minute.

http://domain501593.sites.fasthosts.com/forum/index.php

Waiting for your comments.
mystic

Post by mystic »

Frankly, I like the idea of guests being able to visit but not participate on the forum, as we've done in the past. Guests should have a read-only level of participation.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

I slightly differ with Larry in the sence that, if guest do not register when the ANC is on and the level of interest and participation is high, they will never register. We've always witnessed increase in membership just before and during ANC. That should still be the case.

It will also become difficult to run rules and regulations on guests that mibehaves, because of lack of identity. In the end one abuse by someone might force us to lock it down anyway.