Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The contrasting dynamic and horror performances against Man City and WBA are indictments of Mourinho's defensive mindset. He sets the team to play with the handbrake on. When he actually lets them lose - they can play very well (as they showed against City and at the start of the season). Starting a home game against the bottom team with Rashford, Martial, and Lingard on the bench is mind numbingly conservative.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

win away to Bournemouth
After 34 games
2017/18: 74 points (2nd)

2016/17: 65 points (5th)

2015/16: 59 points (5th)

2014/15: 65 points (4th)

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And a possible FA Cup triumph. It’s been a good season for United.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The FA Cup semi is basically a home game for Spurs. They must be favourites to win the entire thing since they will play at home in the semi and final (if they get through).

Side note - Man Utd's defensive record when Phil Jones has played/does not play 90 minutes this season:

Played 90 minutes in 20 games - 14 clean sheets
NOT played 90 minutes in 14 games - 3 clean sheets

Luke Shaw has started 6 EPL games this season. Man Utd kept a clean sheet in all of them...

Coach wrote:And a possible FA Cup triumph. It’s been a good season for United.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

wiseone wrote:The FA Cup semi is basically a home game for Spurs. They must be favourites to win the entire thing since they will play at home in the semi and final (if they get through).

Side note - Man Utd's defensive record when Phil Jones has played/does not play 90 minutes this season:

Played 90 minutes in 20 games - 14 clean sheets
NOT played 90 minutes in 14 games - 3 clean sheets

Luke Shaw has started 6 EPL games this season. Man Utd kept a clean sheet in all of them...

Coach wrote:And a possible FA Cup triumph. It’s been a good season for United.
Phil Jones is a typical English agbero no-nonsense defender. He fights like a bulldog. He is a great asset especially when you play the smaller teams away.

I still prefer Bailly/Rojo combo but that's when they are fully fit and in form. Rojo is like Rooney, he takes forever to hit form but when he does he is a beast! Injuries have really done a number on Man United but they are getting there!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

There seems to be some kind of juju curse on Man Utd defenders that hexes them with injury after injury (Rio, Vida, The Twins, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Shaw, Blind, Evans...). I thought Jonesy had another injury yesterday. There was a moment when he blocked a shot by Wilson and stayed down. I thought "here we go again"...
YemiBrazil wrote: Phil Jones is a typical English agbero no-nonsense defender. He fights like a bulldog. He is a great asset especially when you play the smaller teams away.

I still prefer Bailly/Rojo combo but that's when they are fully fit and in form. Rojo is like Rooney, he takes forever to hit form but when he does he is a beast! Injuries have really done a number on Man United but they are getting there!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

United have to win trophies, its in our DNA, we expect to go for the big trophies every season, this season has been a dissapointnent but certainly an improvement from the last 3 years, I am sure Mourinho knows the players he needs to win a premiership, a typical Mourinho side is defensively tough, will not let you score and powerful midfielders and a proven finisher, we are pretty close, next season, he has to make it right meaning against the smaller teams , we have to get 3 points, that exactly what City did and we still failed in that department, we certainly did well against the big 6 but thats why City are the champions today
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marko wrote:United have to win trophies, its in our DNA, we expect to go for the big trophies every season, this season has been a dissapointnent but certainly an improvement from the last 3 years, I am sure Mourinho knows the players he needs to win a premiership, a typical Mourinho side is defensively tough, will not let you score and powerful midfielders and a proven finisher, we are pretty close, next season, he has to make it right meaning against the smaller teams , we have to get 3 points, that exactly what City did and we still failed in that department, we certainly did well against the big 6 but thats why City are the champions today
JM has done very well this season, with the personnel at hand. I actually consider this his 'true' season #1
(last season was Europa league and using LVG's scrubs)

Gradually the deadwood is being moved on.

We will definitely be in the running next season

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

tfco wrote:
marko wrote:United have to win trophies, its in our DNA, we expect to go for the big trophies every season, this season has been a dissapointnent but certainly an improvement from the last 3 years, I am sure Mourinho knows the players he needs to win a premiership, a typical Mourinho side is defensively tough, will not let you score and powerful midfielders and a proven finisher, we are pretty close, next season, he has to make it right meaning against the smaller teams , we have to get 3 points, that exactly what City did and we still failed in that department, we certainly did well against the big 6 but thats why City are the champions today
JM has done very well this season, with the personnel at hand. I actually consider this his 'true' season #1

Not sure I should be laughing or not at your excuse....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

next season we'll keep hearing the same tripe bc of wins over RM and a gutsy performance against Juve

GTFOH

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
tfco wrote:

this is not an excuse. read what i wrote properly.

JM inherited a crap squad and had to play Europa with that squad

why all the plenty talk sef...the new Arse coach will experience same.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

To the Jose Out crowd.
Chew on this

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

tfco wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
tfco wrote:

this is not an excuse. read what i wrote properly.

JM inherited a crap squad and had to play Europa with that squad

why all the plenty talk sef...the new Arse coach will experience same.
LOL...interesting that you bring up Arsenal...beware of becoming like Arsenal fans...patient like vultures for something like 15 yrs since the last title.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Man united will win soon, we are pretty close, right now as i said earlier, Mourinho and the board will have a clear picture of what players belong to the club and those that do not, Mourinho has to get rid of the dead wood, if that means getting rid of Pogba for a more consistent attacking midfielder, so be it, eventhough i think Pogba will come good for united
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marko wrote:Man united will win soon, we are pretty close, right now as i said earlier, Mourinho and the board will have a clear picture of what players belong to the club and those that do not, Mourinho has to get rid of the dead wood, if that means getting rid of Pogba for a more consistent attacking midfielder, so be it, eventhough i think Pogba will come good for united
i agree with what you've said except that last part.

please tell me who in world football can we get in that position?

Since paul scholes, have we had a more creative midfielder?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

tfco wrote:
marko wrote:Man united will win soon, we are pretty close, right now as i said earlier, Mourinho and the board will have a clear picture of what players belong to the club and those that do not, Mourinho has to get rid of the dead wood, if that means getting rid of Pogba for a more consistent attacking midfielder, so be it, eventhough i think Pogba will come good for united

None really, there are not too many skillful midfielders in Europe with Pogba talent, i just wish he use it more and consistently, look at Zidane how he controlled games and was a pretty good finisher, that is what i want to see from Pogba, the big games belongs to the big players, you have to outperform like Messi and Ronaldo, the man has it all, poise, eye for the killer pass, dribbling skills, awareness, he just lacks consistency, just play it simple in our half and destroy them with his skills in the opponents half, Pogba should be the assist general of the premiership, dont think we will sell him unless he has a brilliant world cup and the big clubs come for him, will be sad to see him leave though

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marko wrote:
tfco wrote:

None really, there are not too many skillful midfielders in Europe with Pogba talent, i just wish he use it more and consistently, look at Zidane how he controlled games and was a pretty good finisher, that is what i want to see from Pogba, the big games belongs to the big players, you have to outperform like Messi and Ronaldo, the man has it all, poise, eye for the killer pass, dribbling skills, awareness, he just lacks consistency, just play it simple in our half and destroy them with his skills in the opponents half, Pogba should be the assist general of the premiership, dont think we will sell him unless he has a brilliant world cup and the big clubs come for him, will be sad to see him leave though
and he will be

He's #4 this season, 5 shy of KDB who has played more games.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

tfco wrote:
marko wrote:
tfco wrote:

and he will be

He's #4 this season, 5 shy of KDB who has played more games.
:D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Tuanzebe probably out for the rest of the season with injury (while on loan at Villa). May return there on loan next season since this season's loan has been an injury bust. Continues a long distinguished tradition of injury prone Man Utd defenders.

Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Lindelof, Johnstone, Riley, and Luke Shaw (if Mourinho will not play him) should go out on loan next season. I would recall Pereira and give him a go in the first team squad since he plays in an area (AM/creative) where Man Utd do not have options not named Pogba.