Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by anikulapo »

marko wrote:https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/30/manchest ... z-7991470/

Now we want to offload sanchez

Are you taking anything written by metro seriously? Cmon men
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:No. It was the other way around. LVG fielded a weak team when he did not have to (Man U had no fixture congestion and were not in the Champions League - so he could/should have fielded a strong side). Man U's starting 11 that day was:

David de Gea, Marnick Vermij, Reece James, Anderson, Jonny Evans, Michael Keane, Saidy Janko, Nick Powell, Shinji Kagawa, Javier Hernandez, Danny Welbeck (the subs who came on were Januzaj, Pereira, and Wilson).

Of that starting 11, only DDG was still at the club 1 year after that result. LVG just cleared out the squad.
Thanks @wiseone.
Because there was so much outcry and hullabaloo after this game, i actually thought it was because LVG lost after fielding a strong first team.
Managers just cannot win, it turns out he got called very arrogant for doing what you guys are suggesting here :rotf:
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

As much as I dislike Mourinho, the club has been let down by poor leadership. They replaced the legendary SAF with David Moyes who had never accomplished anything. Then they brought in Hiddink and Mourinho, two managers who are notorious for sticking around only 3-4 years or so due to their intense coaching methods. You don't hire Mourinho thinking he's going to be a long-term project; you bring him in as a hired gun who will win trophies in years 2 and 3 of his tenure and then burn out by year 4. As such, the club should've bought the players Mourinho wanted and given him the chance to build the team he wants. It makes no sense bringing him in and then having his transfer wishes vetoed by an accountant that doesn't know anything about winning on the field.

At this point its clear Mourinho is living on borrowed time. In his recent tenures at Chelsea and Real he's not demonstrated the ability to turn things around when things start going wrong and its unlikely he'll be able to reverse things at United. They won't win the league or CL this year but they should at least seek to rebound by seeking to finish top 4 and making it to the CL quarters or semis. I don't think Mourinho can do that for them because of the tension between him and senior management and key players. The players won't respect a guy they feel is a lame duck. Its time for United to admit defeat, fire him, and if they don't get Zidane, hire a caretaker and then hit the reset button in the off-season.

Its hard to imagine what's next for Mourinho. There's no room for him in England and Spain, while clubs like PSG and Bayern have new managers. I can see him eventually going back to Italy but its clear at this point he's lost his lustre and his career is heading backwards.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Sanchez is on nearly 500k/wk. Tell me who's going to buy him.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

amafolas wrote:

That was a big mistake by Mourinho and ManU.
Such moves also discourage talented youth players from joining ManU or sticking around.

BTW, Mourinho is feeling the heat for not supporting young players but alas, it is too late.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Its already late, not sure the board knows what to do, Mourinho time is up uinfortunately, all the bullying, throwing his players under the bus is well and truly over, the players sense it to and will help or actually force him out, its best this is handled the right way, let him leave by mutual consent, no messy sackings, united is a big club, let us move on

if the united board decide to play hide and seek and leave things the way they are, sorry it will get really messy and this is what should be avoided, real madrid would have sacked him already

there is no way back, whats left is the board to make that announcement
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Kabalega wrote:
amafolas wrote:

That was a big mistake by Mourinho and ManU.
Such moves also discourage talented youth players from joining ManU or sticking around.

BTW, Mourinho is feeling the heat for not supporting young players but alas, it is too late.
only because city wanted him so we had to make a statement but it was a flop move, stupid move, no value whatsoever
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

When.a.coach goes on.pre-season and spends it trashing his team, i wonder what he expects of the same team.during the season.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

oloye wrote:When.a.coach goes on.pre-season and spends it trashing his team, i wonder what he expects of the same team.during the season.
This! :clap: :clap:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Kabalega wrote: BTW, Mourinho is feeling the heat for not supporting young players but alas, it is too late.
:lol: :lol:

a falsehood which i have debunked so many times on here

...but go on

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Some people here are not as vocal as they once were, seems like they have resigned to our line of thinking, united board decide to keep mourinho will not end well, its either tbey call a ceisis meeting and everything should be allowed to air their views without repercussion but i rather think its too late, Mourinho has overstepped his boundaries

You dont mess with player power these days at the top teams unless tbe players respect you and buy into your philosophy

Even the great ronaldo threw tantrums at united once upon a time, usually Ferguson would have told him where to go but no, Ronaldo was a special player indeed, after we lost the champions league final to Barcelona, Ronaldo was furious with the team and made his feeling known, he told the board he wanted to leave and Ferguson had to make a deal with him, stay for one year and you can leave, thats what exactly happened

Mourinho man management skills are zilch, everything has to be about him, sometimes you have to know when to pick fights and who to pick fights against, the recent one he picked against Pogba put him right in the spot, Pogba smelled blood and well he is in a dire situation, now same with Sanchez, well that was an expensive flop which we all noticed right from day 1, we had to Accomodate other players for him and did not exactly work out, 500,000 flushed down the drain

Everything is just wrong now, maybe the board hopes results might swing our way, sorry, it is not going to happen, the players have sent coded body language to the board that they want him out

If they still dont listen, well David de gea might have to make the final death blow, once rumours start he wants to leave the sinking ship, it will not take the board more than 5 mins to make a swift announcement!

Marko
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Heliopolis wrote:As much as I dislike Mourinho, the club has been let down by poor leadership. They replaced the legendary SAF with David Moyes who had never accomplished anything. Then they brought in Hiddink and Mourinho, two managers who are notorious for sticking around only 3-4 years or so due to their intense coaching methods. You don't hire Mourinho thinking he's going to be a long-term project; you bring him in as a hired gun who will win trophies in years 2 and 3 of his tenure and then burn out by year 4. As such, the club should've bought the players Mourinho wanted and given him the chance to build the team he wants. It makes no sense bringing him in and then having his transfer wishes vetoed by an accountant that doesn't know anything about winning on the field.

At this point its clear Mourinho is living on borrowed time. In his recent tenures at Chelsea and Real he's not demonstrated the ability to turn things around when things start going wrong and its unlikely he'll be able to reverse things at United. They won't win the league or CL this year but they should at least seek to rebound by seeking to finish top 4 and making it to the CL quarters or semis. I don't think Mourinho can do that for them because of the tension between him and senior management and key players. The players won't respect a guy they feel is a lame duck. Its time for United to admit defeat, fire him, and if they don't get Zidane, hire a caretaker and then hit the reset button in the off-season.

Its hard to imagine what's next for Mourinho. There's no room for him in England and Spain, while clubs like PSG and Bayern have new managers. I can see him eventually going back to Italy but its clear at this point he's lost his lustre and his career is heading backwards.

I'm guessing you meant to write LVG instead of Hiddink right?

And they did buy the players Mourinho wanted over the past couple of seasons. Just not this summer. You can't throw your toys out because one summer they didn't get you the players you wanted.
Last edited by F360 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

--------------------------------------------
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

tfco wrote:
Kabalega wrote: BTW, Mourinho is feeling the heat for not supporting young players but alas, it is too late.
:lol: :lol:

a falsehood which i have debunked so many times on here

...but go on

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o
Debunked that he is feeling the heat for not supporting young players

or that he doesn't support young players?

--------------------------------------------
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Mourinho is only interested in the finished article unles ssomeone can point out any player Mourinho has groomed as a coach and now are doing fantastic things in football??

after the world cup, he wanted 2 croatian players, both in the 30s, no sell on value to united and why? why dont he make rashford and martial the finshed article?

Its far easier getting 11 finished players to play to your game plan than built players into that position

any coach trying to get rid of martial when it is clear the talent is there should never manage a high profile team, give martial to pep and withina year, you will see results

I judge Mourinho on evidence and sorry, Mourinho has no time for young players

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The Neviller is partially right. If Moyes had been allowed to spend the 500 million odd that LVG and Jose spent, would he have done any worse than their 4th, 5th, and 2nd place finishes?

Man Utd are still paying for their bungled succession planning for Ferguson. The lack of good succession planning at a club as big as Man Utd is simply mind boggling. Ferguson was over 70 yo when he retired. He first tried to retire as far back as 2000. You would think that the club would have regarded his retirement as a realistic possibility for a long time and would have been planning for it.

Instead they allowed the entire leadership hierarchy and coaching team to walk out with Ferguson. It was utter madness to let the successful CEO David Gill leave at the same time as Ferguson - and Scholes. Followed by Vida, Rio, Evra, and Rafa the next year. You'd think that a billion dollar business would have the good sense not to replace their manager, CEO, coaching team, captain, vice-captain, former captain, and entire back 4 in the space of 12 months.

That is the equivalent of Apple or Coca-Cola replacing their CEO, chairman, CFO, CTO, board of directors, and entire finance department in the same year.

benteke wrote: Gary is starting to bite, but he doesn't want to bite directly, Ferguson and his friends made the biggest mistake by hiring Moyes against all common wisdom.

And as much as Woodward now takes the blame for signings, but there is still a board at United that i am not sure who it consists of and how it works when it comes to these decisions about signings
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

wiseone wrote:The Neviller is partially right. If Moyes had been allowed to spend the 500 million odd that LVG and Jose spent, would he have done any worse than their 4th, 5th, and 2nd place finishes?

Man Utd are still paying for their bungled succession planning for Ferguson. The lack of good succession planning at a club as big as Man Utd is simply mind boggling. Ferguson was over 70 yo when he retired. He first tried to retire as far back as 2000. You would think that the club would have regarded his retirement as a realistic possibility for a long time and would have been planning for it.

Instead they allowed the entire leadership hierarchy and coaching team to walk out with Ferguson. It was utter madness to let the successful CEO David Gill leave at the same time as Ferguson - and Scholes. Followed by Vida, Rio, Evra, and Rafa the next year. You'd think that a billion dollar business would have the good sense not to replace their manager, CEO, coaching team, captain, vice-captain, former captain, and entire back 4 in the space of 12 months.

That is the equivalent of Apple or Coca-Cola replacing their CEO, chairman, CFO, CTO, board of directors, and entire finance department in the same year.

benteke wrote: Gary is starting to bite, but he doesn't want to bite directly, Ferguson and his friends made the biggest mistake by hiring Moyes against all common wisdom.

And as much as Woodward now takes the blame for signings, but there is still a board at United that i am not sure who it consists of and how it works when it comes to these decisions about signings
You guys never cease to amaze me, the same Moyes has been sacked since then by how many clubs? If those clubs, Sunderland and Westham do.not.find him good enough,how os he ever.good enough for ManU.....Fergie.wanted a.stooge he.could control, Moyes saw through it and.removed.the tentacles by refusing to work with the assistants Fergie left behind..the rest os history. Trying to ask the driver of a truck to driver a F1 car is a mismatch any day. Moyes is a truck.driver.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

wiseone wrote:The Neviller is partially right. If Moyes had been allowed to spend the 500 million odd that LVG and Jose spent, would he have done any worse than their 4th, 5th, and 2nd place finishes?

I can agree with Neville, a club as big as united should have made a concrete plan on succession, they failed and Ferguson is part of this as well, well its too late, we can re-build from here, man united are still pulling in the right revenues to stay relevant

first they have to address the rot and right now Mourinho is part of the problem, he surely cannot stay at the club as the players do not respond to him anymore, thats the worse case scenario, he has burnt too many bridges and no player is willing to fight for him

Just get rid of him

Marko
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Mourinho's 3rd-season syndrome is in full effect.

ManU should have anticipated this but I still suspect that, financiers forced their hand to sign JM to an extension.
Anyway, how low can ManU go?
As low as 32Red? :P
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

marko wrote:

I can agree with Neville, a club as big as united should have made a concrete plan on succession, they failed and Ferguson is part of this as well, well its too late, we can re-build from here, man united are still pulling in the right revenues to stay relevant

first they have to address the rot and right now Mourinho is part of the problem, he surely cannot stay at the club as the players do not respond to him anymore, thats the worse case scenario, he has burnt too many bridges and no player is willing to fight for him

Just get rid of him
The uncomfortable truth here is that Manchester United is currently a very badly run football club.
What is going on now with Mourinho and bad results is just one of the symptoms of how badly run the football club has been for the past decade.
I would say starting from around 2009 when Ronaldo was sold to Madrid, Manchester United made a lot of bad moves on the footballing side of things.

The commercial success is hiding a lot of rot and hiding how badly the club is run, but things may start catching up.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

you guys just need to sack Mourinho and bring back Sir Alex. I am a Man U hater, but this team is sad to watch.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The funny thing is that arguably, Man Utd have better/more talented players now than when SAF was in charge. Post SAF, Man Utd bought the best players from Arsenal, Juventus, Chelsea, Monaco, and Everton (RVP/Sanchez, Pogba, Mata, Martial, Lukaku/Fellaini) yet they are still faffing about in mid-table.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:you guys just need to sack Mourinho and bring back Sir Alex. I am a Man U hater, but this team is sad to watch.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:The funny thing is that arguably, Man Utd have better/more talented players now than when SAF was in charge. Post SAF, Man Utd bought the best players from Arsenal, Juventus, Chelsea, Monaco, and Everton (RVP/Sanchez, Pogba, Mata, Martial, Lukaku/Fellaini) yet they are still faffing about in mid-table.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:you guys just need to sack Mourinho and bring back Sir Alex. I am a Man U hater, but this team is sad to watch.
When Ferguson was around, he had Arsenal only to worry about, and in the later years Chelsea of Abramovich.
But once City started raising it's head, Manchester United didn't adjust and rebuild fast enough, Fergie kept laughing them off as noisy neighbours, as they started to challenge for the title and look dangerous.
After Ferguson left, you now have a stronger Spurs, a resurgent Liverpool, City is now a regular title winner, Arsenal is also starting to find it's feet under the new manager. And some troublesome midtable teams who are no longer scared of coming to Old Trafford and upsetting the applecart.
And all United has been doing is knee jerk transfers and manager appointments since Ferguson retired.

It's not a decline from the Fergie times as such, there are some small improvements in personell here and there.
But other top teams have caught up very fast in terms of organisation on and off the pitch, some like City are actually overtaking and pulling away.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Just find a manager to play attacking football and all will be well

Marko