Yugoslavia = Best in the World?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Yugoslavia = Best in the World?

Post by wiseone »

The other day when Stoke played Chelsea I saw the Stoke GK Begovic (a Bosnian) greet Ivanovic and Matic (Serbians). I started to think that if the former Yugoslavia was to field a united football team they would be one of the best in the world. Think that the following players from ex Yugoslavian countries would be eligible for a united Yugoslavia team:

Serbia: Vidic, Matic, Ivanovic, Kolarov, Subotic
Croatia: Modric, Srna, Mandzukic, Rakitic, Perisic, Lovren
Bosnia: Dzeko, Begovic, Pjanic, Lulic
Slovenia: Handanovic
Last edited by wiseone on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Yugoslavia = Best in the World?

Post by YUJAM »

They had the same talent back in the day but were simply unable to get it together
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

wiseone wrote:The other day when Stoke played Chelsea I saw the Stoke GK (a Bosnian) greet Ivanovic and Matic (Serbians). I started to think that if the former Yugoslavia was to field a united football team they would be one of the best in the world. Think that the following players from ex Yugoslavian countries would be eligible for a united Yugoslavia team:

Croatia: Modric, Srna, Mandzukic, Rakitic, Perisic, Lovren
Bosnia: Dzeko, Begovic, Pjanic, Lulic
Serbia: Vidic, Matic, Ivanovic, Kolarov, Subotic
Slovenia: Handanovic

Nothing new here...they always had excellent players at all positions. Both soccer and Baskeball.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

YUJAM wrote:They had the same talent back in the day but were simply unable to get it together

True. I think they may have become a force though because Spain had same choking issues too.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Serious team :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Na wow ooh,Names dont win you game ooh.Argentina and Brazil can name you such talent but they are not even best in the world.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Yugoslavia V Nigeria .. 1998 ...
[/video]
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Sir V wrote:Yugoslavia V Nigeria .. 1998 ...
[/video]
That was a spanking. Pure comedy at 1:06 ...

Wha choo looking at?!
yannick
Egg
Egg

Post by yannick »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
[/video]
Kai where we that bad? or was Yugoslavia really that good.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

yannick wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
[/video]

We were that bad.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

There was a time they produced some of Europe's best midfielders - Dragan Stojkovic, Dejan Savicevic, Robert Prosinecki, Zvonimir Boban, etc.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

yannick wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
[/video]
My bro, that was Amokachi selected side. Baruwa (Omo Alhaja) had no business playing in that team. Nor be today we don dey mess up.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

That 1998 match was FIXED.

O pari
Note to: Emir Kongi, big porkey, and smartbrother: Don't talk unless you can improve the silence. (c)
www.awooze.com

#BringBackOurGirls
Hashtag #KeshiDonHammer
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Perhaps harsh. They were "unable to get it together" precisely because their country disintegrated into war and bloodshed at the time that their most talented players came into their prime. Remember that an exceptional Red Star Belgrade team won the 1991 European Cup with the following players in their squad: Mihajlovic, Pancev, Prosinecki, Savicevic, Jugovic, Binic, Stojanovic (AKA the Yugoslav national team!).

The Yugoslavs were among the favourites to win the 1992 European Championship. However they never got to play in the 1992 tournament (despite qualifying). Their country had slid into conflict and that team never played together again. Who knows what that team could have done in the 1992 Euros and 1994 World Cup? Especially when the team that replaced them in the 1992 Euros (Denmark) won the tournament with a young GK called Peter Schmeichel in goal.

When you consider that the core of that Red Star/Yugoslav team then went on to win several more European cups at other big clubs like AC Milan, Inter, Real Madrid, Juventus etc, one cannot help but think that the sky was the limit for them had they stayed together.

platinum wrote:
YUJAM wrote:They had the same talent back in the day but were simply unable to get it together

True. I think they may have become a force though because Spain had same choking issues too.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

If I don't remember anything while I was growing u I will remember Argentina vs Yugoslavia in Italia '90. Yugoslavia were good.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Balkan teams have nerves of butter. Once the going gets tough, they melt and evaporate. Yugoslavia with all that talent would not have won jack. The team that I honestly feel were robbed of a golden generation was Zambia of the early 1990s.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

If the core of their U-20 of '87 had stayed together they might have won a world cup or at least reached a semi final in the 90s
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

bret- hart wrote:Balkan teams have nerves of butter. Once the going gets tough, they melt and evaporate. Yugoslavia with all that talent would not have won jack. The team that I honestly feel were robbed of a golden generation was Zambia of the early 1990s.

Indeed, that's why Czechoslovakia have only been to two world cup finals.
If I recall, it wasn't too long ago that Spain were the guys with nerves of butter.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

anikulapo wrote:If the core of their U-20 of '87 had stayed together they might have won a world cup or at least reached a semi final in the 90s
The Croatian team that lost to France in the semis of WC '98 counted Suker, Prosinecki, Boban, Stimac and Jarni as alumni of that victorious Yugoslav U-20 team. Predrag Mijatovic was also in that U-20 team, but he played for Yugoslavia in WC '98.

Wha choo looking at?!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

platinum wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Balkan teams have nerves of butter. Once the going gets tough, they melt and evaporate. Yugoslavia with all that talent would not have won jack. The team that I honestly feel were robbed of a golden generation was Zambia of the early 1990s.

If I recall, it wasn't too long ago that Spain were the guys with nerves of butter.
Dude, Spain winning a WC was only a matter of time. Infct in not for Korean Ojoro in 2002, and France's ojoro in 2006, they might have won the WC a lot earlier. Yugoslavia with all that talent never came close to winning a World Cup. Rather it was choke job after choke job after choke job. People keep waxing lyrical about their 92 squad but last time I checked, breezing through qualifiers does not mean your team is going to just show up and win. You have to have the temperament to cope as the tournament progresses. something the Slavs will never have.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
anikulapo wrote:If the core of their U-20 of '87 had stayed together they might have won a world cup or at least reached a semi final in the 90s
The Croatian team that lost to France in the semis of WC '98 counted Suker, Prosinecki, Boban, Stimac and Jarni as alumni of that victorious Yugoslav U-20 team. Predrag Mijatovic was also in that U-20 team, but he played for Yugoslavia in WC '98.
So you agree with me :tic:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

bret- hart wrote:
platinum wrote:

Dude, Spain winning a WC was only a matter of time. Infct in not for Korean Ojoro in 2002, and France's ojoro in 2006, they might have won the WC a lot earlier. Yugoslavia with all that talent never came close to winning a World Cup. Rather it was choke job after choke job after choke job. People keep waxing lyrical about their 92 squad but last time I checked, breezing through qualifiers does not mean your team is going to just show up and win. You have to have the temperament to cope as the tournament progresses. something the Slavs will never have.

bret, but I have pointed out that Czechoslovakia made TWO world cup finals and you've ignored that. The fact is a united balkan region would have been enough of a threat.
You're changing the Spanish narrative now....in 02 and 06, the story was about their lack of 'cojones', situations be damned.
Everything you've said above about the Balkans was also said about Spain.
I don't agree with that temperament talk.
Okay, let me ask....do you think the Dutch have the temperament to win the world cup?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Yugoslavia were onto something special in the early 1990s. The success of Red Star Belgrade in winning the European Cup (despite the millions being splashed by teams like AC Milan, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc) pointed to a big breakthrough at national team level. I recall that after being beaten home and away by Croatia, Italy's coach Arrigo Saachi said that "Croatia are a force of nature. They take the ball away from you and never give it back".

Croatia got to the semi-finals of the 1998 World Cup in their first World Cup, and were eliminated by the hosts and eventual world champions France. Finishing third in their first World Cup was no mean feat. Do you not think that had their coach Miroslav Blezevic been allowed to also select Bosnian, Montenegrin, Slovenian, and Serbian players, they probably would have done more and perhaps won the World Cup? (with Stojkovic, Stankovic, Mijatovic, Savicevic, and Drulovic)

In 1998 such a team would have been matched only by Brazil.