SUPER EAGLES SELECT XI – FINAL ROUND!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
SUPER EAGLES SELECT XI – FINAL ROUND!!

Post by The YeyeMan »

Fellow CyberEagles.

The question of Nigeria's greatest eleven is raised every so often in this forum and a game has now been devised which will give us a definitive Super Eagles XI.

Below you’ll find a list of players available for selection in this game. What we have to do is vote players off the list until we reach the final 11 players.

All the players in the list appeared for the Super Eagles from 1980 onwards and, accordingly, the game has been restricted to this period. So there’s no room for such luminaries as Thompson Usiyen, Tony Igwe, Tesilimi ‘Thunder’ Balogun, and a host of others!

The decision was taken to restrict the game to this time frame since many forumers (myself included) would not have recognised some of the names bandied around by the older & wiser heads on the block around here. Additionally, 1980 was the year Nigeria landed her first major trophy after bagging the African Nations Cup in Lagos and so it was deemed an appropriate starting point. Essentially, the aim is to make this game as inclusive as possible and encourage participation.

Revised List & Players
GOALKEEPERS
E. Okala -- P. Rufai

DEFENDERS
RB: S. Okpala -- J. Yobo

LB: O. Isima -- Y. Sofoluwe

CB: C. Chukwu -- S. Keshi

CB: G. Odiye -- T. West

MIDFIELDERS
RM: F. George -- O. Odegbami

LM: A. Amesiamaka -- E. Amunike

CM: M. Lawal -- S. Oliseh

CM: H. Nwosu -- A. Okocha

FORWARDS
FW: D. Amokachi -- S. Siasia

FW: J. Aghahowa -- R. Yekini -- T. Usiyen *
* Please nominate TWO forwards for eviction.

Details & Rules
  1. The players have been divided into positions (e.g. GK, RB, LM, etc.) with each category containing four players.
  2. The formation is 4-4-2.
  3. Select ONE player from EACH line to be eliminated from the game (except where indicated).
  4. Each round will last approximately one week.
  5. The votes will be totalled up once a round is over and the players receiving the most nominations will be removed from the list.
  6. The final XI will be chosen by process of elimination after three rounds.
  7. Invalid entries will not be considered.
Acknowledgements
I’d like to extend special thanks and appreciation to Enugu II, heavyd, and SUYA for their contributions and advice in compiling the list. Left to my own devices the list would have been a who’s who of Nigerian football since 1994! :oops:

I hope the rules are clear! Remember to select the players you want EVICTED from the list.
Last edited by The YeyeMan on Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

These are my evictions:

GOALKEEPERS
B. Ogedegbe - have not seen him in action.

DEFENDERS
RB: A. Eguavon - I wasn't fond of his style
LB: C. Babayaro - ditto plus five years of backtracking and poor excuses
CB: U. Okafor - easily the weakest link among the four IMO
CB: S. Eboigbe - ditto

MIDFIELDERS
RM: J. Utaka - not quite there yet
LM: F. Owolabi
CM: S. Okwaraji
CM: A. Atuegbu

FORWARDS

FW: Y. Aiyegbeni
FW: V. Ikpeba - never really blossomed in SE colours
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

These are my evictions:

GOALKEEPERS
V. Enyeama - Too short, and needs to perform at the WC to win my confidence.

DEFENDERS
RB: P. Ekeji - His gragra was too much.
LB: C. Babayaro - Not consistent at the highest level
CB: U. Okafor - I will agree with Yeye. Excellent CB but compared to the others, he's got to go! Sorry...
CB: G. Odiye - Will I ever forgive or forget his infamous name still known everywhere in Nigeria if a defender scores against his own team?

MIDFIELDERS
RM: J. Utaka - Tough list, but John is still too young and the only one still in a position to top this list, so he can try again in a few years.
LM: A.Amesiamaka - Who??
CM: A. Adeshina - Another very tough list to pick from. Weakest link has got to go.
CM: A. Atuegbu - Didnt see him play, and the others are practically midfield gods.

FORWARDS
FW: Y. Aiyegbeni - Easy. Too young. Next Bull in the making though!
FW: O. Martins - I am not trying to create controversy but Femi is 19 and still has a lot to prove in an SE jersey. The others have come through on critical games at one time or another...

Good game by the way,,,
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
I vote the these fellas off

Post by Enugu II »

GK -- Best Ogedegbe

RB -- Augustine Eguavoen
LB -- Benedict Iroha
CB -- Uche Okafor
CB -- Sunday Eboigbe

RM -- Tijani Babangida
LM -- Humphrey Edobor
CM -- Ademola Adeshina
CM -- Aloysius Atuegbu

FW -- Yakubu Aiyegbeni (This is the most difficult choice I had to make)
FW -- Victor Ikpeba
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Thanks Yeyeman, I hope you will gladly accept my apologies for my inability to make inputs earlier on. Good Job.

Here are my picks
GK -- Best Ogedegbe

RB -- Augustine Eguavoen
LB -- Okey Isima
CB -- Uche Okafor
CB -- Sunday Eboigbe

RM -- Tijani Babangida
LM -- Humphrey Edobor
CM -- Ademola Adeshina
CM -- Aloysius Atuegbu

FW -- Samson Siasia
FW -- Victor Ikpeba
baprophet
Egg
Egg

Post by baprophet »

Suggestion:
Since you use the term definitive , I would suggest that the nomination process should allow for more input than that from Suya, heavyD and EnuguII. i am certainly not questioning their ability or judgement. I am simply stating that at leats in my opinion there are a number of worthy players who failed to get a mention and would have ,had the nomination process been wider.

For example the exclusion of bright omokaro at the left back position imho borders on criminal keep in mind that Omokaro literally forced Shofoluwe from the left back to the Right Back position. The likes of Friday Ekpo should certainly be listed before the likes of Adeshina, furthermore I certainly would list the likes of Augustine Igbinabaro, Dimeji Lawal and the original Super brat Tarila Okorowanta ahead of Tijani Babangida and Utaka. However the most criminal exlusion has to be the non inclusion of ETIM ESIN whom skill for skill many would argue was better than Okocha, certainly Pacier and DEFINITELY more skillfull than Kanu, Siasia, Atuegbu or Mutiu assuming of course that this list doesnt exclude those who only played age grade soccer.

Just a suggestion guys if you want a truly definitive list.
SUYA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by SUYA »

Enyema

: A. Eguavon

Y. Sofoluwe

U. Okafor

S. Eboigbe

T. Babangida

H. Edobori

A. Adeshina

A. Atuegbu

Y. Aiyegbeni
V. Ikpeba
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I vote the these fellas off

Post by Gotti »

GK -- Best Ogedegbe

RB -- Augustine Eguavoen
LB -- Benedict Iroha
CB -- Uche Okafor
CB -- Sunday Eboigbe

RM -- Tijani Babangida
LM -- Humphrey Edobor
CM -- Ademola Adeshina
CM -- Aloysius Atuegbu

FW -- Yakubu Aiyegbeni
FW -- Victor Ikpeba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

I thought Usiyen played a few games in the 80's
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

baprophet wrote:Suggestion:
Since you use the term definitive , I would suggest that the nomination process should allow for more input than that from Suya, heavyD and EnuguII. i am certainly not questioning their ability or judgement. I am simply stating that at leats in my opinion there are a number of worthy players who failed to get a mention and would have ,had the nomination process been wider.

For example the exclusion of bright omokaro at the left back position imho borders on criminal keep in mind that Omokaro literally forced Shofoluwe from the left back to the Right Back position. The likes of Friday Ekpo should certainly be listed before the likes of Adeshina, furthermore I certainly would list the likes of Augustine Igbinabaro, Dimeji Lawal and the original Super brat Tarila Okorowanta ahead of Tijani Babangida and Utaka. However the most criminal exlusion has to be the non inclusion of ETIM ESIN whom skill for skill many would argue was better than Okocha, certainly Pacier and DEFINITELY more skillfull than Kanu, Siasia, Atuegbu or Mutiu assuming of course that this list doesnt exclude those who only played age grade soccer.

Thanks BA. YOu made a good point especially on Bright Omokaro a.k.a 10/10. Yeyeman did tried to get input from many of us, unfortunately other duties prevented us from joining in. I trust the ommission of Omokaro was well-reasoned out. I don't believe we can get a definitive list given the well of talents that has come out of our great country. The effort though should be encouraged. If there is anything that can be done I believe Yeyeman will look into it. Thanks again.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Here's my humble opinion.

GOALKEEPERS
V. Enyeama

DEFENDERS
RB: A. Eguavon

LB: C. Babayaro

CB: C. U. Okafor

CB: S. Eboigbe

MIDFIELDERS
RM: J. Utaka

LM: H. Edobor

CM: S. Okwaraji

CM: A. Atuegbu

FORWARDS
FW: Y. Aiyegbeni

FW:O. Martins
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Thanks for the input BA.

And you're right. There are plenty of worthy players who failed to get a mention. As Furiously Frank pointed out I tried to widen the list of contributors but other duties prevented them from providing lists. So I had to work with what was in front of me. And remember of course, all lists of this nature are subject to biases and prejudices, and there's rarely ever univeral agreement on these things.

We must even put the word 'definitive' into context because the list excludes those who did not play past 1980. The original idea was based on an All-Time Super Eagles XI but as I wrote above, many forumers would have been excluded from contributing to that game. So the list is only 'defintive within this decidely narrow framework.

You'd certainly know more than I do about Augustine Igbinabaro, Dimeji Lawal, and Tarila Okorowanta, and could no doubt answer if they were eligible for consideration in this game (i.e. Super Eagles appearances since 1980).

But I must say Etim Esin is unfortunate -- he almost made the final cut but was omitted at the last minute. Again, the original plans included a shorter list where players where divided into general positions (i.e. midfield, attackers) rather than specific ones (i.e. RB, LM) and somewhat ironically, he stood a better chance under that format. It's just one of those oddities that these lists can throw up. Esin was eventually cut after advice from the contributing team.

If we visit this subject again perhaps everyone will be invited to throw their suggestions into the ring so we can end up with a wider nomination process. In the meantime, I hope you'll be able to contribute to the game under its current format.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I'm of the understanding he played from 1976 - 1978...
Mister Dolly wrote:I thought Usiyen played a few games in the 80's
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

no wonder why players don't want to play for naija anymore COS WE DON'T respect them even if they die on the field. Rashidi should be on everybody's list, he is the best SE striker ever.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

mastermind wrote:no wonder why players don't want to play for naija anymore COS WE DON'T respect them even if they die on the field. Rashidi should be on everybody's list, he is the best SE striker ever.

Dude, Its a vote off list. :roll:
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Baprophet,thanks for pointing out the glaring omission of Etim Esin.May I point out that he was a principal member of the Eagles that barely failed to make Italia '90,and should definitely have made the cut,everything considered.On that score,I withhold my evictions in protest!
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

The List was drawn up to provide a "SUPER EAGLES" eleven so I would have thought only players who performed at the highest level should be included. I take your point with Etim - he was indeed a very good player and would no doubt have gotten better if he had had a little bit of discipline and focus. He however did not play long enough in the Super Eagles to warrant being included, especially with the players he was up against. This is probably also why why the likes of Augustine Igbinabaro, Dimeji Lawal and Tarila Okorowanta cant make the list.

My exclusions willl be - :

GK - V. Enyeama (still new to the scene)

RB - A. Eguavoen (Like Yeye was not fond of his style - always looked like conceeding a penalty, which he famously did against Italy)
LB - C. Babayaro
CB - U. Okafor (not even close to the others)
CB - C Nwanu (this was very difficult)

RM - J Utaka
LM - H Edobor
CM - S Okwaraji
CM - A Atuegbu (another difficult one)

FW - Y Aiyegbeni
FW - O Martins (still a baby)
YNWA
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

YeyeMan v4 wrote:I'm of the understanding he played from 1976 - 1978...
Yes he did but he came back to play some matches such as Nigeria against Algeria for the 1982 WC qualifiers. He also played in the friendly match against Uganda in Benin
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
legend
Egg
Egg

Post by legend »

Sir V wrote:
Yes he did but he came back to play some matches such as Nigeria against Algeria for the 1982 WC qualifiers. He also played in the friendly match against Uganda in Benin

:lol: and messed up big time with Andrew Atuegbu :lol:
but Usiyen still remains a great player
Apart from my usual Amodu rantings all in all. He has done very well and the laurels and records speak for itself - MI5

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157957
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

legend wrote:
Sir V wrote:

:lol: and messed up big time with Andrew Atuegbu :lol:
but Usiyen still remains a great player
They messed up big time and we lost 2-0 at the main bowl of the national stadium. They also lost the match against uganda in Benin.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SUPER EAGLES SELECT XI – ROUND ONE

Post by Molue Conductor »

YeyeMan v4 wrote: List & Players
GOALKEEPERS
V. Enyeama -- B. Ogedegbe -- E. Okala -- P. Rufai

DEFENDERS
RB: A. Eguavon -- P. Ekeji -- S. Okpala -- J. Yobo

LB: C. Babayaro -- B. Iroha -- O. Isima -- Y. Sofoluwe

CB: C. Chukwu -- S. Keshi -- U. Okafor -- U. Okechukwu

CB: S. Eboigbe -- C. Nwanu -- G. Odiye -- T. West

MIDFIELDERS
RM: T. Babangida -- F. George -- O. Odegbami -- J. Utaka

LM: A. Amesiamaka -- E. Amunike -- H. Edobor -- F. Owolabi

CM: A. Adeshina -- M. Lawal -- S. Oliseh -- S. Okwaraji

CM: M. Adepoju -- A. Atuegbu -- H. Nwosu -- A. Okocha

FORWARDS
FW: Y. Aiyegbeni -- D. Amokachi -- N. Kanu -- S. Siasia

FW: J. Aghahowa -- V. Ikpeba -- O. Martins -- R. Yekini
bolded are elliminated
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

lagos777 wrote:
mastermind wrote:no wonder why players don't want to play for naija anymore COS WE DON'T respect them even if they die on the field. Rashidi should be on everybody's list, he is the best SE striker ever.

Dude, Its a vote off list. :roll:
mastermind my @$$ :lol:
Africana
Egg
Egg

Post by Africana »

GOALKEEPERS
V. Enyeama

DEFENDERS
RB: A. Eguavon

LB: C. Babayaro

CB: U. Okafor (IMO, has no business in the list)

CB: S. Eboigbe

MIDFIELDERS
RM: J. Utaka

LM: H. Edobor

CM: A. Adeshina

CMA. Atuegbu

FORWARDS
FW: Y. Aiyegbeni (Can become one of the best but not there yet)

FW: O. Martins (How many games yet for the Eagles?—Just checking! Can become the best ever, but we are not assessing mere prospects here but people who have done it)