Is Messi now better than Maradona?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Messi now better than Maradona?

Post by Skylolo »

ohsee wrote:We have all yabbed, Now it is time to see a montage of the 3 main contenders for GOAT. You will note that
1) They are all outstanding dribblers (di tin wey dey sweet Naija man)
2)They can all shoot and place the ball with consummate ease.
3) They can "bend" the ball either from a deadball situation, or running with it.

So what sets them apart? Accomplishments, individual and team, especially accomplishments at an early age. Real genius manifests itself early. Pele Igwe!! :thumbs:

[/video]

Nobody cares what was done at a early age, it is ultimately about how good you go on to become. Who knew Drogba at 24? Meanwhile Everybody knew Etoo at 17.....we know both of them at the end of their careers, that is what matters....

I have not seen a player player in my time, or on you tube better than Lionel Messi. Who knows if Pele would have won 3 World cups in the current Brazilian team and in this era? Who knows if Messi would have won 4 CL titles if he was not at Barcelona?

What it comes down to is what you have seen and what you make of it, Cruyff never won a World cup, Weah never played in one...they are better players than many who won a World cup. Achievements alone does not count, you have to believe what you have seen with your own eyes....to the ones who among us who believe Messi is the best we have seen, let us be abeg!
To God be the glory
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Skylolo wrote:
ohsee wrote:We have all yabbed, Now it is time to see a montage of the 3 main contenders for GOAT. You will note that
3) They can "bend" the ball either from a deadball situation, or running with it.

So what sets them apart? Accomplishments, individual and team, especially accomplishments at an early age. Real genius manifests itself early. Pele Igwe!! :thumbs:

[/video]

I don't care what is done at an early age :lol: , it is ultimately about how good you go on to become. Who knew Drogba at 24? Meanwhile Everybody knew Etoo at 17.....we know both of them at the end of their careers, that is what matters....

I have not seen a player player in my time, or on you tube better than Lionel Messi. Who knows if Pele would have won 3 World cups in the current Brazilian team and in this era? Who knows if Messi would have won 4 CL titles if he was not at Barcelona?

What it comes down to is what you have seen and what you make of it, Cruyff never won a World cup, Weah never played in one...they are better players than many who won a World cup. Achievements alone does not count, you have to believe what you have seen with your own eyes....to the ones who among us who believe Messi is the best we have seen, let us be abeg!
I don correct your krazy komments. :lol: I can only laugh at absurdity. :lol:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
ohsee wrote:No player has ever been blessed by the gods of soccer with all the necessary skills and abilities like Pele. They made Pele and broke the mold. Maradona, Messi, these are earthbound imitations, not soccer gods who soar. Watch and weep, you Messi fans. My bros, come see speed. Not "pace" as they say nowadays, but raw speed.

[/video]
OK, we got it. Pele is your man. I agree to a point, but ..... do you know Pele's idol?

Most people don't, that is why we have these annual arguments.
Idi Amin?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

How many champs league did Madonna win?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Ohsee, I believe you once wrote and shared an article discussing soccer GOAT. Am I right? If so, kindly point me to the article.

There are some madmen running loose in cyberspace again because of bicycle kick.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

bamenda boy wrote:How many champs league did Madonna win?
How many did Real Ronaldo win?
How many world cup did Messi win?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

If you play on a team with stars, your chances are quite high. Maradona made Napoli. Who were the stars? Context matters. I believe Messi is in the same class but he sure has to win the World Cup because he has been on a squad that is regularly among the World's best teams -- Argentina. That is not the same with Ronaldo at the NT team level, BTW.

At club level, both Messi and Ronaldo have been on super club teams and they have won. Maradona was not in a super club. That is a difference.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Messi has been better than Maradona for a long time please. Which one is “now”?? I saw Maradona play...he ain’t no Messi...not even close when it comes to goal scoring. Closer when it comes to playmakingn, but Messi will better on that. So, evidence is pretty clear.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

deanotito wrote:Messi has been better than Maradona for a long time please. Which one is “now”?? I saw Maradona play...he ain’t no Messi...not even close when it comes to goal scoring. Closer when it comes to playmakingn, but Messi will better on that. So, evidence is pretty clear.
No vex when did you see Maradona play? What years?So because Messi has score more goals is why he is better Maradona?So again what is pretty clear abeg help me out here.
Thanks
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Maradona was more talented but Messi is a more level headed person so has achieved more at club level playing with other great players. Maradona's talent and presence, on the other hand, enabled him to single-handedly lift teams to trophies at his peak even when the other players were average. This is something Messi has struggled with so far. It's not only talent that matters but how professional you can be to keep yourself at the top for a long time and Messi is better at this.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Orion wrote:
Maradona was more talented but Messi is a more level headed person so has achieved more at club level playing with other great players. Maradona's talent and presence, on the other hand, enabled him to single-handedly lift teams to trophies at his peak even when the other players were average. This is something Messi has struggled with so far. It's not only talent that matters but how professional you can be to keep yourself at the top for a long time and Messi is better at this.
Thank you. Talent, leadership and mental strength, that's what Maradonna has over Messi. All in all I will take Maradonna. Messi has done wonderful things in the La Liga and the champions league, but so has Ronaldo...and no way would I say Ronaldo is better than Maradonna.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Orion wrote:

Talented??? Bros, if you say he had more leadership qualities, I go hear you. But talent??? No bro...no way, no how. It’s not even close. The share amount of goals and assists that Messi has alone...He towers above Maradona.

Even leadership is debatable. Maradona was vocal but his off field qualities were poor. Messi is quiet, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t lead. When it comes to greatest of all time comparisons, it’s Messi v Pele.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

kajifu wrote:
deanotito wrote:Messi has been better than Maradona for a long time please. Which one is “now”?? I saw Maradona play...he ain’t no Messi...not even close when it comes to goal scoring. Closer when it comes to playmakingn, but Messi will better on that. So, evidence is pretty clear.
No vex when did you see Maradona play? What years?So because Messi has score more goals is why he is better Maradona?So again what is pretty clear abeg help me out here.
Thanks
I no vex....very late eighties into the early 90s. For club and country
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Deano, you are really seriously saying Mr. I-need-Barca-Stellar-Cast-to-Perform Messi is better than Diego Armando Maradona???? :? :? In the words of Robbynice, make una fear God now. Haba!!!!! :shock:
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

theDunamis wrote:
Deano, you are really seriously saying Mr. I-need-Barca-Stellar-Cast-to-Perform Messi is better than Diego Armando Maradona???? :? :? In the words of Robbynice, make una fear God now. Haba!!!!! :shock:
To perform? If you said, “to win”, I could maybe start the debate. But Brother.....Messi would perform even if he played for Kenya. The talent cannot be hidden.

Without Messi, Barca would have been just another top European team of the 2000s...like Drogba’s chelsea. Messi made them extra-terrestrial.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

deanotito wrote:To perform? If you said, “to win”, I could maybe start the debate. But Brother.....Messi would perform even if he played for Kenya. The talent cannot be hidden.

Without Messi, Barca would have been just another top European team of the 2000s...like Drogba’s chelsea. Messi made them extra-terrestrial.
Let's assume you are right. Why hasn't he been able to make Argentina extra-terrestrial?? What is it that he is lacking that has made him repeatedly fail at making Argentina similarly extra-terrestrial?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

[/video]
My brother. Messi and Ronaldo are the first football superstars of the social media age, so to these generation, they are not just the best, they are football.

To me, the original Ronaldo was more gifted and better. Zico was more gifted and better. Maradonna was way better than both of them. Pele of course is the King of them all.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... A3vR8101q4[/video]

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... pK4KpQr7-V[/video]

That they even mention them next to Pele is an insult to the greatest. But I forgive their ignorance

Let me ask again. Are Messi and Ronaldo better than Eusebio? That's debatable. It is a shame all these great players did not have social media.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

theDunamis wrote:
deanotito wrote:To perform? If you said, “to win”, I could maybe start the debate. But Brother.....Messi would perform even if he played for Kenya. The talent cannot be hidden.

Let's assume you are right. Why hasn't he been able to make Argentina extra-terrestrial?? What is it that he is lacking that has made him repeatedly fail at making Argentina similarly extra-terrestrial?
My simple answer is that I don't know. But lets put it this way. I watched Argentina vs. Nigeria with Maradona and with Messi. And using that small sample size, Messi was better. Even with cocaine running through his veins, Messi was better than he.

If Messi doesn't win the WC with Argentina, this will remain the eternal argument for Maradonians. For me, its not. I think there is far too much that goes into the performance of a team at a tournament to put it on the shoulders of one player who uses the 'hand of god' to defeat an opponent :sneaky:
Last edited by deanotito on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Waffiman wrote:

[/video]
My brother. Messi and Ronaldo are the first football superstars of the social media age, so to these generation, they are not just the best, they are football.

To me, the original Ronaldo was more gifted and better. Zico was more gifted and better. Maradonna was way better than both of them. Pele of course is the King of them all.

That they even mention them next to Pele is an insult to the greatest. But I forgive their ignorance

Let me ask again. Are Messi and Ronaldo better than Eusebio? That's debatable. It is a shame all these great players did not have social media.
Forget social media...Use stats, flawed as they are. I love Brazilian Ronaldo. If I were to be honest, that was the star of my youth. He was the first person that made me open my mouth agape at the TV screen. But a few months ago, I had to come to the realization that I couldn't go on dismissing Cristiano Ronaldo's stats. Cristiano has surpassed Ronaldo in almost every individual stat you can think of...and this is without the center forward position. Calling the Brazilian the "real ronaldo" is now disrespectful.

Messi and Cristiano are scoring 50 goals a season...a feat not matched in the few years before or after they did it. They are statistical anomalies....If it was easy to score 50 goals, then others would have copied them. If they scored these many goals because soccer has become 'soft', then there would be other players doing it. The difficulty of football, by and large, is the same as it was in the 90s...and you have these guys pumping in 50 goals??????These are not natural men.

As for Messi, again on stats. You can make the debate about Pele...it boils down to what you consider an official goal for Pele vs. those goals he scored in charity matches...But I can admit that there is a healthy debate there. But Maradona??? Messi has won that one.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

deanotito wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

[/video]

Forget social media...Use stats, flawed as they are. I love Brazilian Ronaldo. If I were to be honest, that was the star of my youth. He was the first person that made me open my mouth agape at the TV screen. But a few months ago, I had to come to the realization that I couldn't go on dismissing Cristiano Ronaldo's stats. Cristiano has surpassed Ronaldo in almost every individual stat you can think of...and this is without the center forward position. Calling the Brazilian the "real ronaldo" is now disrespectful.

Messi and Cristiano are scoring 50 goals a season...a feat not matched in the few years before or after they did it. They are statistical anomalies....If it was easy to score 50 goals, then others would have copied them. If they scored these many goals because soccer has become 'soft', then there would be other players doing it. The difficulty of football, by and large, is the same as it was in the 90s...and you have these guys pumping in 50 goals??????These are not natural men.

As for Messi, again on stats. You can make the debate about Pele...it boils down to what you consider an official goal for Pele vs. those goals he scored in charity matches...But I can admit that there is a healthy debate there. But Maradona??? Messi has won that one.
I hope God forgive you ignorance.SMH.Messi better than Maradona?Jesus did you even watch Diego play?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Much like Ogbuefi, Akwa Akwuru Zidane, Messi’s majesty will only truly be regarded with unequivocal universality once the cow’s skin slides off his feet and he retires to the Igwe’s chair. There will never be another within this generation, not without the precipitating cosmic storm and meteoritic collisions.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Maradona is better.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

ohenhen1 wrote:Maradona is better.

He played in era when defenders took no prisoners. Until Messi wins a WC, then we may have a discussion.