Is Messi now better than Maradona?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Messi now better than Maradona?

Post by airwolex »

People talk as if the Champions league is the be all and end all. Ronaldo never won a champions league but he is a more talented player than Cron and even Messi.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

airwolex wrote:People talk as if the Champions league is the be all and end all. Ronaldo never won a champions league but he is a more talented player than Cron and even Messi.
Not sure there are too many folks that watched more Ronaldo than I did. If one can accuse me of being a later Maradona watcher and a youtube Pele watcher, I can never be accused of being late to anything Ronaldo...from PSV to Real, we dey kanpe....followed him to every major port.

I said all that to say this... Your statement is not true. I spent most of the last 5 years resisting the C Ron is better than "Real" Ron argument...but even I have to admit that by conventional measures, C Ron has eclipsed "Real" Ron. And Messi eclipses C Ron. One could make an argument that were it not for those 2 years blighted by knee injuries, "Real" Ron would be better. But alas, reality is all we have. We cannot guess what could have been. Brother, you are talking about players that score 50 goals a season playing for the same clubs that "Real" Ron played for...Lets be real with this thing. I love Dan Amokachi as well...If you ask me to pick an all time XI, I would probably pick The Bull for sentimental reasons....but not because I believe he's the best option.

I know....it was hard for me too. I would hold my hands to the side when I scored a goal, just like he did when he scored....I was, and will remain a fan forever. But even fans have to face reality sometimes. Statistics are not everything. Ballon D'Ors are not everything. Trophies are not everything. BUT at some point, their share weight and volume get so much that we have to disregard sentiment.

And by the way, I don't think the Champions League is the highest standard of soccer. I believe the WC is. C League is second. But when you judge a player, his whole body of work has to be considered. WC, C-League, Domestic leagues etc.
Last edited by deanotito on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

1. Pele
2. Maradona
3. The rest
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

YemiBrazil wrote:1. Pele
2. Maradona
3. The rest
3: Zidan/Ronaldo(Brazil)
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Diego played in an era where using your studs to rake the back of an attackers legs, two footed tackles from behind, and knee high studs up challenges, were regarded as "normal" defending. I wonder how Messi would have got on playing on a mud patch against Claudio Gentile, Gieuseppe Bergomi and such other Darks Arts masters.

Conversely, how much better would Diego be today playing on perfect lawn smooth pitches with strict refereeing the the psychological security than he will get a free kick if a defender goes near him.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

deanotito wrote:
airwolex wrote:People talk as if the Champions league is the be all and end all. Ronaldo never won a champions league but he is a more talented player than Cron and even Messi.
Not sure there are too many folks that watched more Ronaldo than I did. If one can accuse me of being a later Maradona watcher and a youtube Pele watcher, I can never be accused of being late to anything Ronaldo...from PSV to Real, we dey kanpe....followed him to every major port.

I said all that to say this... Your statement is not true. I spent most of the last 5 years resisting the C Ron is better than "Real" Ron argument...but even I have to admit that by conventional measures, C Ron has eclipsed "Real" Ron. And Messi eclipses C Ron. One could make an argument that were it not for those 2 years blighted by knee injuries, "Real" Ron would be better. But alas, reality is all we have. We cannot guess what could have been. Brother, you are talking about players that score 50 goals a season playing for the same clubs that "Real" Ron played for...Lets be real with this thing. I love Dan Amokachi as well...If you ask me to pick an all time XI, I would probably pick The Bull for sentimental reasons....but not because I believe he's the best option.

I know....it was hard for me too. I would hold my hands to the side when I scored a goal, just like he did when he scored....I was, and will remain a fan forever. But even fans have to face reality sometimes. Statistics are not everything. Ballon D'Ors are not everything. Trophies are not everything. BUT at some point, their share weight and volume get so much that we have to disregard sentiment.

And by the way, I don't think the Champions League is the highest standard of soccer. I believe the WC is. C League is second. But when you judge a player, his whole body of work has to be considered. WC, C-League, Domestic leagues etc.
Lawd have mercy,you compare the defenders of today with those during Real ron days?How do you compare Both Ronaldo's in Real colors?Real Ron came to Real in his 30's after several injuris waiting for retirement and you compare him with Ronaldo that went to Madrid in his best days?
So please explain what measures that force you to accept Messi eclipse C Ron?Since when did he Eclipse him?
You even talk about Messi better than Diego that you never watch play in the 80's... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

deanotito wrote:

Dean,

Nobody ever had to convince me about C-ron. He is a phenomenal player, by conventional measurements, even better than Messi.

I agree with you that if we are to look at their club achievements, Messi and C-ron can nopt be rivaled, not even by Pele and Maradonna, but I am looking at their whole body of work...this has to include international games. Taking everything into consideration, I'd say Pele and Maradona are better than C-ron and Messi. I'd say Ronaldo is at the very least on their level. If either of them wins a WC then they will start approaching Maradona level. If they win multiple wc's we can now start talking about Pele.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

theDunamis wrote:Ohsee, I believe you once wrote and shared an article discussing soccer GOAT. Am I right? If so, kindly point me to the article.

There are some madmen running loose in cyberspace again because of bicycle kick.
:D :D
Chief, you know say I be okongwu (old man). I no lememba where di thread dey. :D I used to have a blog about the GOAT. But that was a long time ago, and I let it lapse.

Chief, na small pikins dey run about dey make noise. I can forgive my second son for doing that--he is in his early 20s. The kid no go gree me rest with his claims--always stated loudly in my ear--that Ronaldo is the GOAT. I just smile and let him run his mouth as any indulgent papa should. :D What did FIFA call it again? Yes, the "Recency Effect."
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

ohsee wrote:
theDunamis wrote:Ohsee, I believe you once wrote and shared an article discussing soccer GOAT. Am I right? If so, kindly point me to the article.

There are some madmen running loose in cyberspace again because of bicycle kick.
:D :D
Chief, you know say I be okongwu (old man). I no lememba where di thread dey. :D I used to have a blog about the GOAT. But that was a long time ago, and I let it lapse.

Chief, na small pikins dey run about dey make noise. I can forgive my second son for doing that--he is in his early 20s. The kid no go gree me rest with his claims--always stated loudly in my ear--that Ronaldo is the GOAT. I just smile and let him run his mouth as any indulgent papa should. :D What did FIFA call it again? Yes, the "Recency Effect."
Hmm, it may definitely have been a blog. I recall it was a detailed and comparative analysis that showed the exploits / achievements of Pele right from his teen years versus those of Maradona starting from a similar age. Before that article, I definitely held Maradona as the GOAT -- "Recency Effect" :lol: -- but I repented based on the detailed analytical facts of each man's contention for that honor that you presented.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!