Is Messi now better than Maradona?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Is Messi now better than Maradona?

Post by anikulapo »

ohsee wrote:
anikulapo wrote: Thank you for highlighting that. No mind my brother Skylolo, na correct guy but sometimes em head no dey house :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Diego will always be for me the Greatest of All Time :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Let Messi go lead Real Sociedad to a La Liga title like Diego did the equivalent with Napoli when he went there, then we go talk :D
That is not what makes Maradona "greater" than Messi. Maradona had Careca and Giordano at Napoli, just like Messi has dangerous forwards and midfielders around him at Barca.

As I said before, the argument of "better" is pointless and can never be resolved. We cannot know who is "better" because they played in different eras against different oppositions. But we can know "greatness" by looking at who accomplished more given the obstacles before him.

I am surprised that fanboys are still touting Messi as the GOAT after he appeared in a World Cup Final, and delivered nada, not even a goal. Perhaps Messi is the greatest club player of our era. Right now, that's the best we can say.
Negro stick to your snuff box and kolanuts Biko ...you clearly have no clue :mrgreen:

Careca and Giordano compared to loaded Juventus and the Milan squads and their history and pedigree ... Negro sharrap biko :mrgreen:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

tfco wrote:
Al B Sure wrote:Messi is the best player to have played the game.
WC2006: Serbia & Montenegro

WC2010: N/A

WC2014: Bosnia Herz, Iran, Nigeria (2)

Messi is the best player to have played the game.

Maradona scored 8 goals in four world cup appearances, Messi has scored 5 in 3.
Last edited by Al B Sure on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

ohsee wrote:
Skylolo wrote: Messi is the greatest all round attacker this game has ever seen, end of!
:lol:
Chei! Small pikinism no good. Bros, one day, visit my house, I have video to show you. Let me repeat, there is nothing Messi can do that Pele could not do in his prime, and much more Pele could do that Messi could not do.
He is a playmaker, winger and striker rolled into one....
You must be talking about O Rei. So why do you think Messi is the greatest all round attacker when Messi has not accomplished half of what The King has accomplished?

I've watched more Pele games that you can ever dream of watching. Pele was a great player so was Maradona, Cubillas, Platini, Cruyff et al. Messi is the greatest of them all.
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

anikulapo wrote:
theDunamis wrote:
Skylolo wrote:Can anybody here actually say Maradona is actually better than Messi as a player? Forget about achievements(And Messi has more BTW).

Think about them playing....at what exactly is Maradona better than Messi on a football pitch? Is it creating goals? Is it scoring them? Was Maradona the better dribbler? Did he have a better right foot? Was he a better header of the ball? Did he have better vision? Was he more lethal at free kicks? Did he give more wow moments?

Messi is the greatest all round attacker this game has ever seen, end of! He is a playmaker, winger and striker rolled into one....Maradona was on the Ronaldinho level extremely skilled at one or two things at best, it so happens Argentina won a World cup in his era, does not mean he had more than a player who is simply more talented and a lot more professional than he ever was.
Psst! It didn't so happen. There is a reason why the World Cup in 1986 was dubbed after the FACT as Maradona '86.
Thank you for highlighting that. No mind my brother Skylolo, na correct guy but sometimes em head no dey house :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Let Messi go lead Real Sociedad to a La Liga title like Diego did the equivalent with Napoli when he went there, then we go talk :D[/quote

Diego did not do the Equivalent with Napoli. Napoli was the best team in Italy that year. Maradona was a wonderful player. He scored 10 goals in 29 games that year.
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

Somebody is trying to tell me that a team that had DeNapoli, Giordano, Salvatore Bagni and Andrea Carnevale was like Real Sociedad. :) (Careca and Alemao did not join the team until a year after).

Maradona was fantastic for Napoli he scored 10 goals from 29 matches, 8 from open play and two penalties.

The defence in that team was mean only conceding about 20 goals in 30 matches. That does not take anything away from Diego. He was a super star one of the greatest to have played the game.

Messi is the best ever.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

platinum wrote:I know the argument is Messi v Don Diego but I feel cheated that injuries ruined this man. For me, he had everything necessary to be the greatest ever.

[/video]
I will take him over Messi,the guy was a beast.
This is a guy French team in practice talking about him.Thuram and other great legend befor facing him.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

anikulapo wrote:
ohsee wrote:
anikulapo wrote: Thank you for highlighting that. No mind my brother Skylolo, na correct guy but sometimes em head no dey house :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Let Messi go lead Real Sociedad to a La Liga title like Diego did the equivalent with Napoli when he went there, then we go talk :D
That is not what makes Maradona "greater" than Messi. Maradona had Careca and Giordano at Napoli, just like Messi has dangerous forwards and midfielders around him at Barca.

As I said before, the argument of "better" is pointless and can never be resolved. We cannot know who is "better" because they played in different eras against different oppositions. But we can know "greatness" by looking at who accomplished more given the obstacles before him.

I am surprised that fanboys are still touting Messi as the GOAT after he appeared in a World Cup Final, and delivered nada, not even a goal. Perhaps Messi is the greatest club player of our era. Right now, that's the best we can say.
Negro stick to your snuff box and kolanuts Biko ...you clearly have no clue :mrgreen:

Careca and Giordano compared to loaded Juventus and the Milan squads and their history and pedigree ... Negro sharrap biko :mrgreen:
Look at this fat bum bumboy from Buffalo. How old were you in 1987? Two? You have no idea who Careca is obviously, the Brazilian star of that age. Go and do your research, ewu fat bum. :lol: The forward line of Maradona, Giordano and Careca was known as "MaGiCa" in those days. How you go take sabi, small pikin like you? :lol:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Al B Sure wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Skylolo wrote: Messi is the greatest all round attacker this game has ever seen, end of!
Chei! Small pikinism no good. Bros, one day, visit my house, I have video to show you. Let me repeat, there is nothing Messi can do that Pele could not do in his prime, and much more Pele could do that Messi could not do.
You must be talking about O Rei. So why do you think Messi is the greatest all round attacker when Messi has not accomplished half of what The King has accomplished?

I've watched more Pele games that you can ever dream of watching. Pele was a great player so was Maradona, Cubillas, Platini, Cruyff et al. Messi is the greatest of them all.
He is the greatest because you say so? Let me hear why you think Messi is greater than Pele. What are Messi's senior accomplishments outside Barcelona? :D

And even if we are to compare only club careers, why do you think Messi is greater than Pele? Because Messi has won nine consecutive league scoring titles, starting from age 16? Because Messi was league scoring champion in his first full professional season playing only half the games? Because Messi was league scoring champion even in seasons when he was injured for most of the season?

My bros, na lie you dey talk, you have never seen the young Pele play or you would acknowledge the god of soccer. Whether it is in the air or the ground, Messi is no match for O Rei. Messi is a mere mortal whose name will disappear once he stops playing, just like a host of other "better than Peles"--Eusebio, DiStefano, Cruyff, Maradona, real Ronaldo.

And you have watched more Pele games than I can dream of watching? Because you were alive in the 1960s? Because you collect videos for a book you are writing? Because you have several Pele games on old videotape. Chief, no make me laff. :lol: I have seen all the potential GOATs play, when they were playing. The greatest of them all is Pele, no question.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Lionel iNeedBarcaToWinSmth Messi.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

ohsee wrote:
Al B Sure wrote:
ohsee wrote:

He is the greatest because you say so? Let me hear why you think Messi is greater than Pele. What are Messi's senior accomplishments outside Barcelona? :D

And even if we are to compare only club careers, why do you think Messi is greater than Pele? Because Messi has won nine consecutive league scoring titles, starting from age 16? Because Messi was league scoring champion in his first full professional season playing only half the games? Because Messi was league scoring champion even in seasons when he was injured for most of the season?

My bros, na lie you dey talk, you have never seen the young Pele play or you would acknowledge the god of soccer. Whether it is in the air or the ground, Messi is no match for O Rei. Messi is a mere mortal whose name will disappear once he stops playing, just like a host of other "better than Peles"--Eusebio, DiStefano, Cruyff, Maradona, real Ronaldo.

And you have watched more Pele games than I can dream of watching? Because you were alive in the 1960s? Because you collect videos for a book you are writing? Because you have several Pele games on old videotape. Chief, no make me laff. :lol: I have seen all the potential GOATs play, when they were playing. The greatest of them all is Pele, no question.

Messi is better than Pele because of his abilities with and without the ball.

The greatest footballer ever is Lionel Messi. It is not even close!!!!

I do appreciate you trying very hard :D :D :D to try and tell me you are the only one to see Pele play. However you are wrong. and yes i've watched more Pele Games that you think you may have watched. Contrary to what you guys do, I will not be discrediting Pele to praise Messi - no need.

Whilst pele was the best player for a very long time, he has now been pushed to second place by Messi (it is not even close!)

Pele scored 757 goals in 813 matches ofcouse he was an absolute superstar. It is just that someone better on the ball has come along someone better in making assist has come along and someone better without the ball has come along and his name is Lionel Messi. Whether you agree or not, is not really consequential. You have the platform to say what you like, and i am sure as heck going to say what i believe. It is that simple! As for saying i am lying, not suprising as i've been on CE for a long time, i'm used to the random emotional outbursts.

Maradona was great, Pele was greater, and Messi is by far the GREATEST!
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by sinequanon »

One thing "seals" it for me.

Maradona's superior vision.

The key to Maradona's dribbling is anticipation.

The key to Messi's dribbling is reaction.

Maradona's style requires more vision. Messi's style requires closer control.

Maradona herded defenses. He made them do what he wanted. He was better able to open up chances for other players, and he dribbled and passed all in one phase. He could play a diagonal ball out of nowhere and find a player in space twenty yards away before anyone realized that he could even see that player.

Messi picks his way through defenses. His dribbling and passing are generally more like two phases. Once his head goes down, he needs phase two to complete a pass.

Maradona was simply a way more intelligent player, imo.

That "seals" it for me. But I put "seals" in quotes, because I have seen much more Maradona footage than Messi footage.
There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done..

https://voca.ro/1dk47QJEvGY2
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

sinequanon wrote:One thing "seals" it for me.

Maradona herded defenses. He made them do what he wanted. He was better able to open up chances for other players, and he dribbled and passed all in one phase. He could play a diagonal ball out of nowhere and find a player in space twenty yards away before anyone realized that he could even see that player.

Messi picks his way through defenses. His dribbling and passing are generally more like two phases. Once his head goes down, he needs phase two to complete a pass.

That "seals" it for me. But I put "seals" in quotes, because I have seen much more Maradona footage than Messi footage.
:clap: :clap: :clap: I watch what Maradona did to Brazil in 1990 for the killer pass was out of this world.
I see how average players were turn to be super stars playing along Maradona.
Even in 1994 World cup his vision was top class,he was on his way to win that world cup.
After he was ban ,Argentina look below average and were out fast.If Maradona was not in that Naija game ,Argentina would not have won that game.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

sinequanon wrote:One thing "seals" it for me.

:shock: :shock:

shaniqua??

what next, you go begin tok pidgin?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Al B Sure wrote:
Whilst pele was the best player for a very long time, he has now been pushed to second place by Messi (it is not even close!)

:D
I know now say na yokes you dey yokes. :lol:
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

I have not bothererd to read through all the responses but when will people learn to stop comparing people from different era's. Just accept they are supreme in their respective era's.

Diego Armando Maradona was one off in my humbnle opinion! Its not fair on Messi to compare him with Diego.
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Has Messi taken any world cup by storm and dragged his national team to the title, twice?

Maradona is way better
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Mankinka wrote:I have not bothererd to read through all the responses but when will people learn to stop comparing people from different era's. Just accept they are supreme in their respective era's.

Diego Armando Maradona was one off in my humbnle opinion! Its not fair on Messi to compare him with Diego.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

This is still going on? Even Messi bows down to Maradona. In the movie "Messi" this discussion comes up with the likes of Johan Cryuff, and former Argentina coaches, chiming in. They certainly raise a lot of very good points with funny quips. But I will not ruin it for you guys.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Gooner1 wrote:Has Messi taken any world cup by storm and dragged his national team to the title, twice?

Maradona is way better
It astonishes me that the Messi-can'ts continue to fan-boy him after his miserable floppy-d#$% in the final :shock: :shock: of the 2014 World Cup. Biko nu, how can you be the greatest of all time, and you are in the Final for all the World marbles, and you cannot even deliver an assist--let us even forget about goals and about winning the whole damn thing--just deliver an assist even if in a losing cause! And bobo no fit. Some greatest he is! :lol:

At least the second greatest of all time was able to deliver the game-winning killer pass to Jorge Burruchaga in the 1986 World Cup Final.

Should we even bother to talk about the greatest of all time, King Pele, who scored two goals in his FIRST World Cup Final at age 17, which his team won? What was Messi doing at 17? What was Maradona doing at 17? Both had their azzes either parked at home or on the bench! :lol: :lol:

And what did The King do in his SECOND World Cup Final? Despite tight marking by the ITALIANS, O Rei scored with a spectacular leaping bullet header (that is why Pele is greater than both Argentinian pretenders: you stop Pele on the ground, he beats you in the air--none of these jokers were as good as he was in the air, on the ground and with both feet.) And he was not finished o! He set up Jairzinho with a header, and Carlos Alberto with a sublime no-look pass! One goal, two assists in one World Cup Final! :thumbs: And the jokers continue to joke. :taunt: :lol:
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

ohsee wrote:
Al B Sure wrote:

:D
I know now say na yokes you dey yokes. :lol:

Good am glad you now realise the error of your ways.
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

platinum wrote:I know the argument is Messi v Don Diego but I feel cheated that injuries ruined this man. For me, he had everything necessary to be the greatest ever.

[/video]
Personally, I still think R9 was the greatest in the last 50 years or so. On sheer ability alone, he was unplayable till the injuries and thyroid problems came in. His modesty on and off the pitch drew more people to him. He may not have the goals of Messi or Ronaldo but he was a different kind of beast. He was not a selfish player (maybe if he was he would have had crazy la liga goal records too). I still think him being ill before the match against France cost them that World Cup although Zidane had just kicked into another gear at that stage.

On the Maradona/Messi issue, it's a tough one to call. The question being asked is if messi is now better than Maradona? If that's to be taken literally based on achievement/things won, then maybe on club level I guess he is but for country, nope...not till he wins a World Cup!
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

Above is the link to the 'full match' of the 1970 world cup Final. :)

Now i know most people are busy, and will not have the time to be watching this, but i urge some of you to watch it, it may just put things in perspective :)
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Gooner, such has been the evolution of the game, no longer can one man step into the phone booth, loosen up the tie, open the shirt, superman is still alive...the game today is more teamish than it has ever been. Great players make great moments, great teams make history. The Spanish Armada of a few years back for instance. France of '98 and 2000, great teams, great accomplishments. Now, in his prime, was Essien not one of the game's finest box to box juggernauts, Yaya Touré the same. Luis Suarez is amongst the game's finest forwards, Cristiano Ronaldo, Luis Figo, the list is long and lengthy. One cannot choose their true nationality, nor instruct the ability of associates and thus, is there legitimacy in sentencing their status upon the grounds of joint enterprise? Argentina failed therefore Messi isn't all that? Was it not in this season past that Ronaldo scored umpteen hattricks, broke umpteen scoring records, etched his name ever further into the stone pillars of the Bernabeu and yet, what was Real's yield? Did Ronaldo fail by way of association with the team failure?

The game has changed, today, more so than ever before, the better team, not necessarily those more aesthetically pleasing, but of greater balance and teamsmanship, tend to take the spoils. Has Messi played in an Albiceleste as teamly as Maradona's World Cup winning side? Granted Sen Diego was the star, but that Argentina was a well drilled unit, an exhibition in pragmatism and certainly one of history's "for all eras". A rugged 3-5-2, defensively stout, with the right balance of brawn and brazen. That their impression served as a blueprint for others thereafter speaks with volume of the team that they were. In an era at the threshold of the changing ethos that saw form as the produce of function, Argentina boasted a true great in a great team. Team being the operative word, of which the coach is every bit a component. Has Messi been coached by an equal?

Stepping back to the seventies, the Selecao of Pele's time is arguably one of the greatest teams, irrespective of sport, to have ever played in contest.

Is Messi better than either? That is as a question that serves little more than to showcase the nonchalance and ignorances of today's Xbox generation who, double tapping buttons on a control pad, have conquered artificial intelligence with one man. The question can never be answered and is very much football's own offering to the catalogue of great illogical comparisons. Who's the best pound for pound boxer ever? A statement that casually ignores the physiology and physics of mass and matter. Does one's mastery of the ring depend on their number of knockouts, their having never been knocked out, their wins ratio or the number of belts around their waist? Are the Klitschkos, two skilled heavyweight fighters with a hegemonic hold over a division in perhaps it's poorest state in decades, amongst the sport's greats? Is greatness not as much a matter of circumstance as it is capability? In Hagler's era would Mayweather boast 48 and 0? In those days of shorter intervals between fights and the normalcy of big names squaring off at the drop of a hat, would Floyd be as imperial? Pacquiao Mayweather took how many years today? Would it have taken as long back then? Hence the irrelevance of such questions. As a fan of this era, Messi is without doubt a great by one's own opinion, greatest? After the assault on Materazzi, one assigned alpha stature to Zidane and that remains intact. Just about. Unsubstantiated and easily challenged, but no more than an opinion to a silly question. Likewise the championing of Floyd Mayweather, t'is the here and now.

@Mazi, as for Messi's name disappearing after his boots are packed away, no chance, he is the Maradona of today in the eyes of the World. Maybe not as good or great, that is a matter of conjecture, in the eyes of the game, he is the Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Platini of now and will be chaperoned to the throne when those names are lost to the crowd. Does he need a World Cup to be a great? Does that marvellously crafted mare gorgeously decorating Outkast's 'I like the way you move' video need a giant pair of jubblies to be a fine specimen? Absolutely not.