1996 Olympics: Nigeria vs Brazil. Ballers galore

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin
1996 Olympics: Nigeria vs Brazil. Ballers galore

Post by juventuss »

[/video]

Ballers all over.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: 1996 Olympics: Nigeria vs Brazil. Ballers galore

Post by kalani JR »

Kanu was only 19 in that game. How didn't we win 98?
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

kalani JR wrote:Kanu was only 19 in that game. How didn't we win 98?
98 WC or ANC ?
ANC = Banned or boycott or whatever

WC = Overestimating Denmark and I believe infighting. Damn Shame...
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

juventuss wrote:
98 WC or ANC ?

98 for me remains our worst world cup showing relative to the available talent and expectations. Total waste that was a representation for what nigeria was then.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

Notice how the commentator sound so deflected when Naija score the third and fourth goal. He didn't scream the usual goooooooaaaaaaaaallllll, golaso. The thing sweet me well well. The coaches should be show the current team this tape before any match. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

That Brazilian team with a couple of additions dominated France 98 2 years later.

Our 1996 olympic team was actually stronger than our 1998 WC team. Amuneke, Amokachi were both injured in 1998. Joseph Dosu was better than any goalkeepr we have in 1998. Kanu was post-surgery and not as sharp as he was in 96.
Last edited by amafolas on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
nko
Egg
Egg

Post by nko »

'Prince of Monaco' - Victor Ikpeba was great in that game.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

amafolas wrote:That Brazilian team with a couple of additions dominated France 98 2 years later.

Our 1996 olympic team was actually stronger than our 1998 WC team. Amuneke, Amokachi were both injured in 1998. Joseph Dosu was better than any goalkeepr we have in 1998.
This game Oliseh was bench warmer that is how loaded this team was.
If this team had gone to France 98 with the hope to win the whole thing.Semi final was the minimum after the way they spank Spain and end up mess everything against Denmark.
Befor this World cup we have players bigger than Zidan
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

platinum wrote:
juventuss wrote:
98 WC or ANC ?

98 for me remains our worst world cup showing relative to the available talent and expectations. Total waste that was a representation for what nigeria was then.

Well, the signs of our defensive weakness were already showing here in 96. The discipline wasn't there for the defensive unit. The fist goal vs Brazil is still paining me. How the heck did the defenders and Dosu allow a Brasilian player to be part of the wall? That is like comic book footie...it was already obvious to me the guy was going to vacate his position to create a hole for the shooter!

Babangida sef...glorious opportunity to put Kanu one-on-one and he doesn't bother to look for an open teammate in a great position.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

kajifu wrote:
amafolas wrote:That Brazilian team with a couple of additions dominated France 98 2 years later.

Our 1996 olympic team was actually stronger than our 1998 WC team. Amuneke, Amokachi were both injured in 1998. Joseph Dosu was better than any goalkeepr we have in 1998.
If this team had gone to France 98 with the hope to win the whole thing.Semi final was the minimum after the way they spank Spain and end up mess everything against Denmark.

not true.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

How the mighty SE has fallen, most of these players were important players for top clubs in the top leagues now it's big news when Emunike signs for some team in some country that I don't even know.

Oliseh has his work cut out for him to restore Nigeria football but I think he is up to the job if given the latitude and time.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
kajifu wrote:

not true.
WTF lol, Oliseh had a card problems...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

African Star wrote:How the mighty SE has fallen, most of these players were important players for top clubs in the top leagues now it's big news when Emunike signs for some team in some country that I don't even know.

Oliseh has his work cut out for him to restore Nigeria football but I think he is up to the job if given the latitude and time.

Another inaccurate statement. Only Ikpeba, Kanu and Amokachi can arguably be said to be to be in top clubs in top leagues with Monaco, Ajax and Everton. Even Oliseh himself has admitted that the players had something to prove because they had either had poor seasons or were looking to establish themselves in new clubs.
[/video]
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
fishward
Egg
Egg

Post by fishward »

Abeg hire Bonfere as an assistant okare
For evil too prosper it only needs men of goodwill to stand by Idile and do nothing!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

metalalloy wrote:
kajifu wrote:

not true.
I think he was injured or somn cos he played the very next game in the final v Argentina
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

juventuss wrote:[/video]

Ballers all over.
I just love that Babayaro 'Headless Chicken' walk after his goal. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unforgettable
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Oliseh was suspended for the game. Second yellow in the quarter final against Mexico.
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

metalalloy wrote:
African Star wrote:How the mighty SE has fallen, most of these players were important players for top clubs in the top leagues now it's big news when Emunike signs for some team in some country that I don't even know.

Another inaccurate statement. Only Ikpeba, Kanu and Amokachi can arguably be said to be to be in top clubs in top leagues with Monaco, Ajax and Everton. Even Oliseh himself has admitted that the players had something to prove because they had either had poor seasons or were looking to establish themselves in new clubs.
[/video]
*ahem*
Tijani_Babangida - Ajax: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tijani_Babangida
Celestine_Babayaro - Anderlecht (Chelsea in 97): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestine_Babayaro
Sunday Oliseh - FC Köln (Ajax in 97) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Oliseh
Jay Jay Okocha - Eintracht Frankfurt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay-Jay_Okocha

Our boys would be lucky to get into some of these clubs today
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

I still insist Dosu was very average in this tournament.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
asheq almozmar
Egg
Egg

Post by asheq almozmar »

https://youtu.be/SgP8oFis9cc

I think Brazil match was the turning point cus after watching Mexico match i think the perfomance wasnt good!
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

fishward wrote:Abeg hire Bonfere as an assistant okare
KPOM!

:thumbs: :thumbs:
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

platinum wrote:
juventuss wrote:
98 WC or ANC ?

I heard a lot of sh!1t went down in 98. From trying to sabotage Bora during friendlies so that Abacha would sack him and re-hire Bonfrere to players over partying before the Denmark game assuming that they were already guaranteed a QF spot vs Brazil. I heard some unflattering things about players including a prominent one banging two chicks possibly at the same time mid tourney.

We wasted the 94 generation cos they could've easily won three ANCs (94, 96, 98 and maybe even 2000), the Olympic gold (which they did win), and at least made the WC QF which would've been a helluva legacy. Their underachivement was all mostly self inflicted.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

theYemster wrote:
platinum wrote:
juventuss wrote:
98 WC or ANC ?

I heard a lot of sh!1t went down in 98. From trying to sabotage Bora during friendlies so that Abacha would sack him and re-hire Bonfrere to players over partying before the Denmark game assuming that they were already guaranteed a QF spot vs Brazil. I heard some unflattering things about players including a prominent one banging two chicks possibly at the same time mid tourney.

We wasted the 94 generation cos they could've easily won three ANCs (94, 96, 98 and maybe even 2000), the Olympic gold (which they did win), and at least made the WC QF which would've been a helluva legacy. Their underachivement was all mostly self inflicted.
This right here is a fallacy that has been pedaled over the years. Considering naija football's propensity to self destruct with regularity, doing anything easily would more likely had been screwing things up than winning 3 ANC's back to back
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!