Diego Maradona questions Lionel Messi's commitment to Argent

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Diego Maradona questions Lionel Messi's commitment to Ar

Post by anointed »

PapaK wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
PapaK wrote:if Maradona had Higuain playing in front of him instead of Buruchaga or Valdano, he wont have won the WC in 1986.

If Messi had Cannigia playing with him in place of Higuain, he would have won world cup in 2014 and Copa America.

so, Maradona should shattap
That is a lot of conjecture, bro. The fact is Maradona imposed himself in Argentina colors. Often messi stays aloof as if he is just another player. That is the difference.
That is how I see it.

The proof is not in 1986 alone, 1990 as well. Argentina HAD NO BUSINESS making it to the quarters talkless of getting past it in Italia 1990. That was all Diego. That guy was a colossus. They recovered from losing to Cameroon to manage a 3rd place finish, to beat a Brazilian team that was better than them? That Brazil game was all Diego - that was about heart and pride.
im a Maradona fan too. However, my point is that, in the final of 1986 WC, Maradona did not score. When he laid those passes for Buruchaga and Valdano, they scored. Had any of them missed their chances the way Higuain did at WC and Copa America final, Maradona would not have been champions.

At Italia 90, Maradona did much to take his team to the final. But he did not score a single goal. When he rounded 3 Brazilian players in the 2nd round and laid a pass to Cannigia, he rounded the keeper and scored to give Argentina the win. Had he missed his chance like Higuain does when put through, Argentina would not have beat Brazil.

At the same Italia 90, in the q/final match ended in penalty shootout. Maradona indeed lost his own kick. His team mates, especially the keeper bailed him out. The semi-final also went to penalty shootout. Had Maradona's team mates skied their kicks like Higuain did, Argentina would not have got to the final. That's my point. It is unfair to ask Messi to do the job of 11 men. Maradona did not, neither did Pele have to.
What kind of rubbish writing is this?

Had Rufai conceded those early chances against Bulgaria in 94?
Had Mathematical not scored 2 goals against Algeria in 1980?
Had Amuneke not scored the brace against Zambia in 1994?
Had Finidi not scored Algeria against in our last 1994 WCQ?
Had Guinea not scored the a late minute goal against Siasia's Naija in 2012 AFCONQ?
Had JJ not equalized Algeria's goal with a free kick in 1993?
Had Mba not scored the winner against CIV and the lone goal against Burkina Faso in 2013?
Had Ghana won an afcon in 33 years going on 35?
Had there been no Internet and CE?
Had God not created you?

What kind of reasoning is this? Unbelievable!!! I think we should start a thread on this.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Kabalega wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
green4life wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
green4life wrote:Did someone claim that Diego had more talented teammates than Messi? Seriously? Kun Aguero isn't as deadly a finisher / striker currently alive in the planet? Di Maria? Tevez? Pastore? Etc. Please come again.
Notice that you didn't mention any defenders or goalies.
It is a team sport.
How about you mention the super stars that helped Maradona win the WC?

By the way macherano, zabaleta, and demichelis aren't slouches and would walk into the starting 11 of many contenders.

G4L,

KPOM. That is what many guys miss. Many of those players who played with Maradona particularly in 1986 had lesser international profile compared to those playing with Messi today. I have not researched this but I truly believe it because people are shouting Burruchaga without the realization that Burruchaga was a virtual unknown till the World Cup. Now compare that to Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria who are big names. The fact is that at the international level, Messi inexplicably does not command his team. He appears laid back too often for a guy whose status is supposedly on the level of Maradona and Pele.
We are talking about footie on the field not popularity contests. Those big names you are talking about all play up front, and have the benefit of TV, internet and a more open market for Argentine players. Maradona's teammates didn't have any of that, but it does not mean that they were worse players than Messi's. In fact, Maradona played on a better team.

Maradona knows better but he is just trying to light a fire under Messi when he of all people, should know why Messi hasn't won anything with Argentina as the Argentina he coached was too imbalanced to win any cup.
How does international profile equate to popularity contest? Are we talking about David Beckham here?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

anointed wrote:
PapaK wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
PapaK wrote:if Maradona had Higuain playing in front of him instead of Buruchaga or Valdano, he wont have won the WC in 1986.

If Messi had Cannigia playing with him in place of Higuain, he would have won world cup in 2014 and Copa America.

That is a lot of conjecture, bro. The fact is Maradona imposed himself in Argentina colors. Often messi stays aloof as if he is just another player. That is the difference.
That is how I see it.

The proof is not in 1986 alone, 1990 as well. Argentina HAD NO BUSINESS making it to the quarters talkless of getting past it in Italia 1990. That was all Diego. That guy was a colossus. They recovered from losing to Cameroon to manage a 3rd place finish, to beat a Brazilian team that was better than them? That Brazil game was all Diego - that was about heart and pride.
im a Maradona fan too. However, my point is that, in the final of 1986 WC, Maradona did not score. When he laid those passes for Buruchaga and Valdano, they scored. Had any of them missed their chances the way Higuain did at WC and Copa America final, Maradona would not have been champions.

At Italia 90, Maradona did much to take his team to the final. But he did not score a single goal. When he rounded 3 Brazilian players in the 2nd round and laid a pass to Cannigia, he rounded the keeper and scored to give Argentina the win. Had he missed his chance like Higuain does when put through, Argentina would not have beat Brazil.

At the same Italia 90, in the q/final match ended in penalty shootout. Maradona indeed lost his own kick. His team mates, especially the keeper bailed him out. The semi-final also went to penalty shootout. Had Maradona's team mates skied their kicks like Higuain did, Argentina would not have got to the final. That's my point. It is unfair to ask Messi to do the job of 11 men. Maradona did not, neither did Pele have to.

Had Guinea not scored the a late minute goal against Siasia's Naija in 2012 AFCONQ?
Had Mba not scored the winner against CIV and the lone goal against Burkina Faso in 2013?
Had God not created you?

What kind of reasoning is this? Unbelievable!!! I think we should start a thread on this.
you are free to understand what you want to understand. The fact that you dont agree with what I wrote doesnt make it rubbish. It is not my fault if you have never heard of "what if analysis" in your life.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Enugu II wrote:
YUJAM wrote:TFCO - This fight against Messi is the height of foolishness. The guy is the best player of his era whether he wins with Argentina or not. The trophy will eventually come btw

Maradona played in an era when the game was very different. The game is faster and players are fitter and better. But despite all of this, when it comes to pure stats (goals and assists), Messi has better stats for Argentina than Maradona had
Yujam,

No doubt he is the best player of his era. That is exactly where it ends. As per comparing him to Maradona, they are entirely different. Maradona was a play maker. I think Messi has same level of skill as Maradona and Pele. His problem may just be that he does not have the personality to simply take over at the NT level. The others look to him to no avail but he appears to look to guys who are much lesser skilled. Until he does shoulder the burden, Argentina will continue to flounder. In this same era, we have seen lesser guys like Arjen Robben and Pirlo impose themselves on their NT. Thus, that surely is not only possible now but in fact there are examples.
This is a complete kpom. Greatness in this context is the ability to elevate your teammates to do more than their normal performance sufficiently to won the big one. Personally, I won't bet on messi not winning a WC because he's surrounded by too much talent not to win one. But until he does so, his name doesn't elevate to the supernatural level of Diego and Pele. I watched Diego in 1982 and 1986. And what was noticeable was the growth in terms of maturity of his game. That is what largely made his teammates look like superstars. He did everything for Argentina and sacrificed himself in any way to make sure they won. Messi is supremely gifted but he hasn't - and inexplicably I might add because I don't question his commitment - elevated his team to cross the finish line. When Diego was on the pitch in 1986, all man knew he was the boss: simply the best above and beyond every other human on the pitch! Every single game. But messi at times plays ordinarily if not going missing as he did during the cops America finals. By the way, during those WCs and until Nigeria qualified, my main team was Brazil. But I was so much in awe of Diego that I had his poster on my bedroom wall as a kid. Please, abeg mek dem forget story. You can't be a supernatural without winning the big one. Michael Jordan went thru the exact same thing as messi until he crossed the hurdle in 1991. I feel messi will get there simply because I can't see him not doing so.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

YUJAM wrote:TFCO - This fight against Messi is the height of foolishness. The guy is the best player of his era whether he wins with Argentina or not. The trophy will eventually come btw

Maradona played in an era when the game was very different. The game is faster and players are fitter and better. But despite all of this, when it comes to pure stats (goals and assists), Messi has better stats for Argentina than Maradona had
i am not the one who called him Swedish - pick your fight with Diego....abeg o

I am sure your Argentine friends are very much concerned with stats after losing 2 international finals on the trot.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

I have never believed Messi is better than Maradona.
Maybe its nostalgia. Maybe not.

But Messi not winning things with Argentina must not be the point.
How about Messi being unfortunate to be playing in an era that Argentina is afflicted with "self-doubt"?
Self-doubt, or lack of self-belief; that abstract constant which can truncate even the most capable amongst us.

Argentina last won a major trophy in 1993 (Copa America); 22 yrs and counting...
Maybe the failure to meet expectations is dogging this generation of Argentina players, and Messi doesn't seem like the mortal to inspire the belief to change that.
Whereas Maradona was a rabble-rousing dynamo (witness his leading the singing & dancing in the dressing-room after the WCup'86 triumph), Messi is the introverted shy genius who prefers others take the lead.

I fear the nay-sayer's judgement of Messi is more about Messi's persona than his prowess.
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

One thing I know, this crop of Argentine players are one of the best the World's seen. Maradona's crop weren't better, I'd say they were inspired to great heights by a larger than life character that had the balls of a bull and the leadership qualities of Napoleon.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

PapaK wrote:
anointed wrote:
PapaK wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

That is how I see it.

Had God not created you?

you are free to understand what you want to understand. The fact that you dont agree with what I wrote doesnt make it rubbish. It is not my fault if you have never heard of "what if analysis" in your life.
Hahahahahahahaha...so you have heard of the "what if analysis". Good. Now, go and hear of the "what if NOT analysis" and come back and tell me which one is not rubbish and which one is sensible.
Last edited by anointed on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

platinum wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Their characters are different and that's what kills Leo. Maradona was a fighter and allied with his talent, it made him what he became. When Leo goes missing, he goes missing even when he contributes. If he had the fighting mentality of say Alexis to add to his talent, I doubt this would be an issue. It's harsh on him...very harsh but until Argentina win, I expect it'll continue.
Are we talking about Messi or Ozil? :rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

airwolex wrote:One thing I know, this crop of Argentine players are one of the best the World's seen. Maradona's crop weren't better, I'd say they were inspired to great heights by a larger than life character that had the balls of a bull and the leadership qualities of Napoleon.

Wow who stole Air Head's handle
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

People are always looking for simplistic answers that their simple minds can be able to process.

Messi has not achieved with Argentina what he has achieved with Barca for reasons that you can put down to BOTH Messi and Argentina. It is not one or other.

B/4 the past season, Messi played mostly as a “false nine”. He is not (at least since towards the end of Pep’s reign) as individualistic as Maradona. As a false nine, he spent most times finishing moves – in the last third. That’s when he broke scoring records in a calendar year. The thing with this role is that it relies on service. This was top quality at Barca. The Argie midfield did not compare favourably.

Since this season, Messi has played wide right for Barca and more in the playmaking role for Argentina (at the Copa). At Barca he has shared the goal-scoring with Neymar and Suarez. Again for the Argies, the finishing was not the best at the Copa.

The other daft thing with the comparisons with Maradona is that while El Diego won the WC, Messi has had a more successful club career. He is bound to play better at Barca considering he has been there since he was 13 and knows their system inside out. Additionally, a more successful club career may mean you have less gas in the tank for summer tournaments. The guy just came off winning the treble with Barca. That’s a lot of games that they didn’t play as many in Diego’s time.

Football is more of a team game these days. Messi is more reliant on team-mates than Diego was. He was pretty much quiet by his standards in the CL final. But it didn’t matter for Barca.
http://www.naijiant.com/
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

EII:
I seem to recall Messi carrying the team in several games during the past WC. He did it against Nigeria, Iran and Bosnia, scoring crucial winning goals in each one. There are many other games in which he carried the side. Unfortunately, finals are tougher contests and my observation of the past two finals indicate that the failure was a collective one. His team mates simply didn't step up.

In this Copa tourney, I noticed a change in his role which I think was part tactical and partly his own choice. If you noticed, he took on the role of the provider more this time around. He was more than happy to provide for his team mates than actually go for the score himself. This change is reflected in the number of assists he had. He assisted at least three times in one game alone. He also spent a lot of time playing a false 10 role, something that Tito took right our Enrique's playbook at Barca. I suspect that if he had played a strictly attacking role, his goal tally would have been higher.

Also, a lot of credit must go to Chile in the final who used a brilliant strategy to stop Messi. They constantly cut off his lanes with multiple players which made life very difficult for him.

BTW, I think Messi's time will come soon. I have no doubt that he will win that tourney with Argentina
Enugu II wrote:

Yujam,

No doubt he is the best player of his era. That is exactly where it ends. As per comparing him to Maradona, they are entirely different. Maradona was a play maker. I think Messi has same level of skill as Maradona and Pele. His problem may just be that he does not have the personality to simply take over at the NT level. The others look to him to no avail but he appears to look to guys who are much lesser skilled. Until he does shoulder the burden, Argentina will continue to flounder. In this same era, we have seen lesser guys like Arjen Robben and Pirlo impose themselves on their NT. Thus, that surely is not only possible now but in fact there are examples.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

It is kind of strange how people complain that Messi at Barca is different from Messi at Argentina. It is obvious that the player's roles are different and the team set-ups and personnel are different, so it is not a surprise that the outcome is different.

What I noted in the Copa America is that Messi was essentially playing as a midfielder, where his role was to create chances for the forwards. He did create chances, but the forwards did not finish the chances. On the contrary, at Barca he is one of the three striker, with Iniesta, Rakitic, and Busquets (as well as the wing backs Dani Alves and Jordi Alba) creating the scoring chances.

Argentines needs to be asking themselves why they are unable to get the best out of the best player in the world instead of accusing him of lack of commitment. They should be asking whether their tactical set-up is good enough. They should be asking why a player like Higuain is asked to take a PK after missing the PK that denied Napoli a Champions League position just a couple of months earlier or missing a gift at the World Cup.

When you have players like Aguero, Messi, Pastore, Di Maria, Mascherano, Tevez, etc in your team, you should not be waiting for a single individual like Messi to bail you out. Messi provides an advantage that no other national team has, but Argentina has enough players to win major trophies even without Messi. They need to ask themselves why they have won nothing in 22 years instead on blaming a single individual.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

platinum wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Their characters are different and that's what kills Leo. Maradona was a fighter and allied with his talent, it made him what he became. When Leo goes missing, he goes missing even when he contributes. If he had the fighting mentality of say Alexis to add to his talent, I doubt this would be an issue. It's harsh on him...very harsh but until Argentina win, I expect it'll continue.
The only problem with your argument is that Maradona's "fighting spirit" won him very little (compared with Messi) at club level. This suggests that it is not just about fighting spirit, it is about the tactical set-up and the coach's selections. Messi does not show more "fighting spirit"at Barca, but he is breaking all records...

For example, at the Copa America, Messi was always surrounded by three players whenever he got the ball. The question is "What the the coach do to take advantage of the spaces left by those extra two players marking Messi? At Barcelona if a team puts 3 players on Messi, Neymar and Suarez will exploit those spaces left open.

Maybe Argentina should model their style and tactics on Barcelona if they want Messi to replicate his Barca performances? They cannot play him as a midfielder and expect him to score as many goals as he does for Barca, where he is part of a front three
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Enugu II wrote:
green4life wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
green4life wrote:Did someone claim that Diego had more talented teammates than Messi? Seriously? Kun Aguero isn't as deadly a finisher / striker currently alive in the planet? Di Maria? Tevez? Pastore? Etc. Please come again.
Notice that you didn't mention any defenders or goalies.
It is a team sport.
How about you mention the super stars that helped Maradona win the WC?

By the way macherano, zabaleta, and demichelis aren't slouches and would walk into the starting 11 of many contenders.

G4L,

KPOM. That is what many guys miss. Many of those players who played with Maradona particularly in 1986 had lesser international profile compared to those playing with Messi today. I have not researched this but I truly believe it because people are shouting Burruchaga without the realization that Burruchaga was a virtual unknown till the World Cup. Now compare that to Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria who are big names. The fact is that at the international level, Messi inexplicably does not command his team. He appears laid back too often for a guy whose status is supposedly on the level of Maradona and Pele.
Chief, things were different in those days. Most players were "virtually unknown" until the World Cup because European teams had not begun vacuuming all the talent from South America and Africa at that time. That does not mean that they were not good players.

Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria, Tevez, Pastore are all excellent players at club level. The question is why they are unable to replicate that excellence for Argentina by converting the numerous chances that Messi creates for them when they are playing for Argentina...

platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Vincent. wrote:
platinum wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

The only problem with your argument is that Maradona's "fighting spirit" won him very little (compared with Messi) at club level. This suggests that it is not just about fighting spirit, it is about the tactical set-up and the coach's selections. Messi does not show more "fighting spirit"at Barca, but he is breaking all records...

For example, at the Copa America, Messi was always surrounded by three players whenever he got the ball. The question is "What the the coach do to take advantage of the spaces left by those extra two players marking Messi? At Barcelona if a team puts 3 players on Messi, Neymar and Suarez will exploit those spaces left open.

Maybe Argentina should model their style and tactics on Barcelona if they want Messi to replicate his Barca performances? They cannot play him as a midfielder and expect him to score as many goals as he does for Barca, where he is part of a front three

It's a weak argument I concede as demeanor is not an accurate or credible gauge of anything, and indeed if Hiigain and Lavezzi wouldn't have conspired to throw away that last minute chance Messi gifted them, this would be a different story entirely.
Leo is the best player in the world today, he'll keep getting slammed as long as rgentina fails to win. It comes with the territory.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:rotf: :rotf:

Kai see essays and thesis by Messi fanboys

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

tfco wrote::rotf: :rotf:

Kai see essays and thesis by Messi fanboys
It is not a matter of fanboyism. It is a matter of preferring to analyze the real issues affecting variations in performances/results... As a Barca fan, I am very happy with Messi. I am not an Argentina fan, although I would like them to win something for Messi's sake.

The point I am trying to make is that it s too simplistic to blame a single player (in what is a team game) when the likes of Aguero, Tevez, Pastore, and Mascherano are also winners with their clubs but they cannot do it with Argentina. The right approach is to ask "What is wrong with Argentina that they have not won a major trophy in 22 years despite producing a long line of great players" in that period?

If you put Messi in the Nigerian national team, we will win more trophies than Argentina (not sure about Ghana, though). So, what is Argentina doing wrong? That is the question.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Vincent. wrote:

It is kind of strange how people complain that Messi at Barca is different from Messi at Argentina. It is obvious that the player's roles are different and the team set-ups and personnel are different, so it is not a surprise that the outcome is different.

What I noted in the Copa America is that Messi was essentially playing as a midfielder, where his role was to create chances for the forwards. He did create chances, but the forwards did not finish the chances. On the contrary, at Barca he is one of the three striker, with Iniesta, Rakitic, and Busquets (as well as the wing backs Dani Alves and Jordi Alba) creating the scoring chances.

Argentines needs to be asking themselves why they are unable to get the best out of the best player in the world instead of accusing him of lack of commitment. They should be asking whether their tactical set-up is good enough. They should be asking why a player like Higuain is asked to take a PK after missing the PK that denied Napoli a Champions League position just a couple of months earlier or missing a gift at the World Cup.

When you have players like Aguero, Messi, Pastore, Di Maria, Mascherano, Tevez, etc in your team, you should not be waiting for a single individual like Messi to bail you out. Messi provides an advantage that no other national team has, but Argentina has enough players to win major trophies even without Messi. They need to ask themselves why they have won nothing in 22 years instead on blaming a single individual.
Surprised Maradona had nothing to say about Tata Martino.

It always pains me to see managers playing the percentages. Argentina had no clear tactical direction, except perhaps against Colombia, in which ironically their couldn't score!

Of the four Argentine managers that dot to the Copa s/final, Martino was the one with no clear tactical ideas in the manner in which he organized his team.

Its the same weakness that floored him at Barca...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

"If" pigs could fly, we would all be gods.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Kabalega wrote: Maradona had a better team. Just watch Argentina vs Brazil in 1982 when young Diego tormented the Brazilians and got sent off for retaliation.
Huh? Kabalega, you sure you watched that game? Diego tormented the Brazilians in 1982? For where? Diego was a bust in that WC, and punched someone in frustration because despite the fact that the Brazilians gave all the space he needed, he could not do nada.

Also not sure what you are talking about; the team Maradona had in 1982 was indeed a great team with Osvaldo Ardilles, Mario "The Hammer" Kempes, and captain Daniel Passarella--the core of that '82 team won the World Cup for Argentina four years earlier in 1978. Diego was surrounded by great players, but could not perform in that tourney.

In 1986, the only players from '82 left on the team were goalkeeper Pumpido, Diego Armando Maradona, and Jorge Valdano. The 86 team was NOT a better team than the 1978/82 team.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

green4life wrote:
Argentina in 1982 wasn't that good.
Huh? The team that won Argentina the World Cup in 1978 was not that good? A team that was supposedly strengthened by the addition of Diego? Come on.