Diego Maradona questions Lionel Messi's commitment to Argent

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Diego Maradona questions Lionel Messi's commitment to Argent

Post by anointed »

Diego Maradona questions Lionel Messi's commitment to Argentina

The former Argentina number ten asks 'dammit, are you Argentinian or are you Swedish?'

By Callum Davis

10:01AM BST 14 Jul 2015

Diego Maradona has waded into the debate on Lionel Messi's international career, insisting it's time to stop giving the Barcelona star special treatment.

Following defeats in the World Cup and Copa America finals, Lionel Messi's wait for a competitive international trophy at senior level goes on.

As in the World Cup final last year, the three-time Ballon d'Or winner was unable to make his impression felt in the Copa America climax against Chile, and Diego Maradona did not hold back in his assessment of the Argentinian number ten.

"It's logical that he comes in for flak, it's easy to explain. We've got the best player in the world, who goes and scores four goals against Real Sociedad, then he comes here and doesn't touch the ball".

"You're left saying to yourself 'Dammit, are you Argentinian or Swedish?" Maradona added.

In an interview with Argentine sports paper, Olé, the former Argentina coach backed criticism of Messi claiming it's "the only way he'll improve" his performances for the national side.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ntina.html
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Diego Maradona questions Lionel Messi's commitment to Ar

Post by tfco »

"It's logical that he comes in for flak, it's easy to explain. We've got the best player in the world, who goes and scores four goals against Real Sociedad, then he comes here and doesn't touch the ball".

"You're left saying to yourself 'Dammit, are you Argentinian or Swedish?" Maradona added.
dis time, no be me tok am o

oya, ChICken, Yu(seless)jam and other fanboys...come defend your boy and the NDL statement el Diego made

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

tfco wrote:

dis time, no be me tok am o

oya, ChICken, Yu(seless)jam and other fanboys...come defend your boy and the NDL statement el Diego made
It's a team sport. Why blame Messi for Higuaim's mistakes?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

if Maradona had Higuain playing in front of him instead of Buruchaga or Valdano, he wont have won the WC in 1986.

If Messi had Cannigia playing with him in place of Higuain, he would have won world cup in 2014 and Copa America.

so, Maradona should shattap
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

tfco wrote:dis time, no be me tok am o

I am not sure of the history - but can we do away with calling names like these? Can we call truce on this please? I know we have stopped doing this for our public figures but can we extend it to fellow CEs?

It kinda throws one off. What do you think? Pardon me for interjecting....
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.
The earth is not our home.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7711/opaks.gif
http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/bsflag.gif
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

PapaK wrote:if Maradona had Higuain playing in front of him instead of Buruchaga or Valdano, he wont have won the WC in 1986.

If Messi had Cannigia playing with him in place of Higuain, he would have won world cup in 2014 and Copa America.

Maybe our rating of these players are different but both a fan of Diego and Lionel but I tend to believe that Burucha and Canigia's greatness was enhanced due to Diego.

I believe the Argentina teams that played the last 2 WC and Copa American Grande Finales are better than the 1986 and 1990 squads I saw.

What do you think?
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.

PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Catalyst wrote:
PapaK wrote:if Maradona had Higuain playing in front of him instead of Buruchaga or Valdano, he wont have won the WC in 1986.

Maybe our rating of these players are different but both a fan of Diego and Lionel but I tend to believe that Burucha and Canigia's greatness was enhanced due to Diego.

I believe the Argentina teams that played the last 2 WC and Copa American Grande Finales are better than the 1986 and 1990 squads I saw.

What do you think?
maybe Messi's squad is better, but when Maradona supplied balls to Buruchaga, if he had wasted it the way Higuain wasted his own opportunities, Maradona wouldnt have been world champion
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Messi needs some luck..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

That is a lot of conjecture, bro. The fact is Maradona imposed himself in Argentina colors. Often messi stays aloof as if he is just another player. That is the difference.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Enugu II wrote:

That is a lot of conjecture, bro. The fact is Maradona imposed himself in Argentina colors. Often messi stays aloof as if he is just another player. That is the difference.

Their characters are different and that's what kills Leo. Maradona was a fighter and allied with his talent, it made him what he became. When Leo goes missing, he goes missing even when he contributes. If he had the fighting mentality of say Alexis to add to his talent, I doubt this would be an issue. It's harsh on him...very harsh but until Argentina win, I expect it'll continue.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

Enugu II wrote:

That is how I see it.

The proof is not in 1986 alone, 1990 as well. Argentina HAD NO BUSINESS making it to the quarters talkless of getting past it in Italia 1990. That was all Diego. That guy was a colossus. They recovered from losing to Cameroon to manage a 3rd place finish, to beat a Brazilian team that was better than them? That Brazil game was all Diego - that was about heart and pride.

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Catalyst wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

That is how I see it.

The proof is not in 1986 alone, 1990 as well. Argentina HAD NO BUSINESS making it to the quarters talkless of getting past it in Italia 1990. That was all Diego. That guy was a colossus. They recovered from losing to Cameroon to manage a 3rd place finish, to beat a Brazilian team that was better than them? That Brazil game was all Diego - that was about heart and pride.
You raise some good points but I'm not sold.

Recent Argentina teams are not balanced. Look at Argentina's first game in the Copa America this year. They could have gone up 4-0 in the first half but ended up drawing the game. The coach screwed up his subs bringing on Higuain and Tevez for Pastore and Aguero. Tevez was a waste-pipe. Messi was so pissed that he refused the MoM accolade.

Maradona had a better team. Just watch Argentina vs Brazil in 1982 when young Diego tormented the Brazilians and got sent off for retaliation.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Did someone claim that Diego had more talented teammates than Messi? Seriously? Kun Aguero isn't as deadly a finisher / striker currently alive in the planet? Di Maria? Tevez? Pastore? Etc. Please come again.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

green4life wrote:Did someone claim that Diego had more talented teammates than Messi? Seriously? Kun Aguero isn't as deadly a finisher / striker currently alive in the planet? Di Maria? Tevez? Pastore? Etc. Please come again.
Notice that you didn't mention any defenders or goalies.
It is a team sport.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Kabalega wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

That is how I see it.

You raise some good points but I'm not sold.

Recent Argentina teams are not balanced. Look at Argentina's first game in the Copa America this year. They could have gone up 4-0 in the first half but ended up drawing the game. The coach screwed up his subs bringing on Higuain and Tevez for Pastore and Aguero. Tevez was a waste-pipe. Messi was so pissed that he refused the MoM accolade.

Maradona had a better team. Just watch Argentina vs Brazil in 1982 when young Diego tormented the Brazilians and got sent off for retaliation.
Argentina in 1982 wasn't that good. And you referenced a game that Brazil dominated from start to finish and won 3-1 which is why Diego lost his mind towards the end after the third goal and took a red card rather than congratulate the Brazilians. Also, that loss knocked out Argentina from contention of qualifying from that QF group that was eventually won by the Italians.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Kabalega wrote:
green4life wrote:Did someone claim that Diego had more talented teammates than Messi? Seriously? Kun Aguero isn't as deadly a finisher / striker currently alive in the planet? Di Maria? Tevez? Pastore? Etc. Please come again.
It is a team sport.
How about you mention the super stars that helped Maradona win the WC?

By the way macherano, zabaleta, and demichelis aren't slouches and would walk into the starting 11 of many contenders.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

green4life wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
It is a team sport.

By the way macherano, zabaleta, and demichelis aren't slouches and would walk into the starting 11 of many contenders.
Did you see Argentina's defending in the Copa America?
You do not win trophies with a lopsided team!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
It is a team sport.

G4L,

KPOM. That is what many guys miss. Many of those players who played with Maradona particularly in 1986 had lesser international profile compared to those playing with Messi today. I have not researched this but I truly believe it because people are shouting Burruchaga without the realization that Burruchaga was a virtual unknown till the World Cup. Now compare that to Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria who are big names. The fact is that at the international level, Messi inexplicably does not command his team. He appears laid back too often for a guy whose status is supposedly on the level of Maradona and Pele.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

TFCO - This fight against Messi is the height of foolishness. The guy is the best player of his era whether he wins with Argentina or not. The trophy will eventually come btw

Maradona played in an era when the game was very different. The game is faster and players are fitter and better. But despite all of this, when it comes to pure stats (goals and assists), Messi has better stats for Argentina than Maradona had
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YUJAM wrote:TFCO - This fight against Messi is the height of foolishness. The guy is the best player of his era whether he wins with Argentina or not. The trophy will eventually come btw

Maradona played in an era when the game was very different. The game is faster and players are fitter and better. But despite all of this, when it comes to pure stats (goals and assists), Messi has better stats for Argentina than Maradona had
Yujam,

No doubt he is the best player of his era. That is exactly where it ends. As per comparing him to Maradona, they are entirely different. Maradona was a play maker. I think Messi has same level of skill as Maradona and Pele. His problem may just be that he does not have the personality to simply take over at the NT level. The others look to him to no avail but he appears to look to guys who are much lesser skilled. Until he does shoulder the burden, Argentina will continue to flounder. In this same era, we have seen lesser guys like Arjen Robben and Pirlo impose themselves on their NT. Thus, that surely is not only possible now but in fact there are examples.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Enugu II wrote:
green4life wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
It is a team sport.

G4L,

KPOM. That is what many guys miss. Many of those players who played with Maradona particularly in 1986 had lesser international profile compared to those playing with Messi today. I have not researched this but I truly believe it because people are shouting Burruchaga without the realization that Burruchaga was a virtual unknown till the World Cup. Now compare that to Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria who are big names. The fact is that at the international level, Messi inexplicably does not command his team. He appears laid back too often for a guy whose status is supposedly on the level of Maradona and Pele.
We are talking about footie on the field not popularity contests. Those big names you are talking about all play up front, and have the benefit of TV, internet and a more open market for Argentine players. Maradona's teammates didn't have any of that, but it does not mean that they were worse players than Messi's. In fact, Maradona played on a better team.

Maradona knows better but he is just trying to light a fire under Messi when he of all people, should know why Messi hasn't won anything with Argentina as the Argentina he coached was too imbalanced to win any cup.
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Catalyst wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

That is how I see it.

im a Maradona fan too. However, my point is that, in the final of 1986 WC, Maradona did not score. When he laid those passes for Buruchaga and Valdano, they scored. Had any of them missed their chances the way Higuain did at WC and Copa America final, Maradona would not have been champions.

At Italia 90, Maradona did much to take his team to the final. But he did not score a single goal. When he rounded 3 Brazilian players in the 2nd round and laid a pass to Cannigia, he rounded the keeper and scored to give Argentina the win. Had he missed his chance like Higuain does when put through, Argentina would not have beat Brazil.

At the same Italia 90, in the q/final match ended in penalty shootout. Maradona indeed lost his own kick. His team mates, especially the keeper bailed him out. The semi-final also went to penalty shootout. Had Maradona's team mates skied their kicks like Higuain did, Argentina would not have got to the final. That's my point. It is unfair to ask Messi to do the job of 11 men. Maradona did not, neither did Pele have to.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

PapaK wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

That is how I see it.

im a Maradona fan too. However, my point is that, in the final of 1986 WC, Maradona did not score. When he laid those passes for Buruchaga and Valdano, they scored. Had any of them missed their chances the way Higuain did at WC and Copa America final, Maradona would not have been champions.

At Italia 90, Maradona did much to take his team to the final. But he did not score a single goal. When he rounded 3 Brazilian players in the 2nd round and laid a pass to Cannigia, he rounded the keeper and scored to give Argentina the win. Had he missed his chance like Higuain does when put through, Argentina would not have beat Brazil.

At the same Italia 90, in the q/final match ended in penalty shootout. Maradona indeed lost his own kick. His team mates, especially the keeper bailed him out. The semi-final also went to penalty shootout. Had Maradona's team mates skied their kicks like Higuain did, Argentina would not have got to the final. That's my point. It is unfair to ask Messi to do the job of 11 men. Maradona did not, neither did Pele have to.
KPOM! Case closed.
Next!