Okoronkwo says one year contract is behind his Wolves woes

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Okoronkwo says one year contract is behind his Wolves woes

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Okoronkwo reveals Wolves pain

By Osasu Obayiuwana

BBC Sport in Monastir, Tunisia

Nigeria defender Isaac Okoronkwo has claimed his failure to secure a first-team place at Wolverhampton Wanderers is a result of a contractual dispute.

Okoronkwo, who joined the struggling English Premiership side from Ukrainian club Shaktar Donetsk, said he has been under pressure from club officials to sign an extension to his current one-year contract.

"Officials of the club are not happy with the fact that I only have a one-year deal.

"They have said that if I get a regular place in the side, which I deserve, bigger clubs would be aware of my qualities and they would just wait for the end of my one-year contract to sign me on a free [transfer].

"I am in a pretty difficult situation at the moment," Okoronkwo admitted.

The central defender is expected to play a key role in Nigeria's Cup of Nations campaign and says that being able to hold down a place in the national team provides him a respite from his problems in English football.

"Not being able to play regularly has not been easy.

"I do my best in training sessions and the reserve games that I play in but it is not the same as playing league games.

"One just has to keep his head up and not feel depressed about the situation.

"But if things do not change soon, I may have to seek new opportunities elsewhere," Okoronkwo warned.

Okoronkwo will be hoping he can prove his worth for the Super Eagles when they play South Africa, Benin and Morocco in Group D at the Cup of Nations
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Okoronkwo is my boy and i wish him the best of luck.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

This is how they kill ones confidence!
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
superwinger
Egg
Egg

Post by superwinger »

He should just sit back and wait till the end of the season. Wolves know that if they are relegated he will leave for free so they want to be able to make some money out of Okoronkwo. Both parties are in a no-win situation really. Wolves might as well use him and try to stay up.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Of all the ridiculous excuses I have heard for not being good enough to make a team!

He needs to accept that he currently doesn't cut it and he should gear himself at proving Davey Jones wrong. Either that or go to another club...
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

As sad as the situation is, I doubt if the 1 year contract is the problem. Regardless of if Okoronkwo plays or not throughout the season, I doubt if they would be able to hold on to him cos Isaac is way too talented to ply his trade at the Nationwide league.

On the other hand if it is true, then the Wolves management must be regarded as the worst business enterprise. How can you have an investment that could ultimately help you stay in the EPL for another season but fail to use him simply because he won't sign more than a year contract? Now think about all the money they are going to loose and all the revenue they have lost by not utilizing all their best personnel.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

Otitokoro wrote:Of all the ridiculous excuses I have heard for not being good enough to make a team!

He needs to accept that he currently doesn't cut it and he should gear himself at proving Davey Jones wrong. Either that or go to another club...
Come on - are u putting Okoronkwo's ability to question? It is nbelievable 'cos the guy bis tried and tested at the highest level.
You future depends on your dreams: so go to sleep
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Okoronkwo will surely put gravel in the mouth of his critics next tomorrow
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

Talk IT wrote:Okoronkwo will surely put gravel in the mouth of his critics next tomorrow
Too right! but with a dash of hot pepper as well
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Its a Goal wrote:As sad as the situation is, I doubt if the 1 year contract is the problem. Regardless of if Okoronkwo plays or not throughout the season, I doubt if they would be able to hold on to him cos Isaac is way too talented to ply his trade at the Nationwide league.

On the other hand if it is true, then the Wolves management must be regarded as the worst business enterprise. How can you have an investment that could ultimately help you stay in the EPL for another season but fail to use him simply because he won't sign more than a year contract? Now think about all the money they are going to loose and all the revenue they have lost by not utilizing all their best personnel.
Thank you!
Staying in the EPL for Wolves is much more beneficial than playing in the Nationwide league - millions of pounds, that is. They will do anything to accomplish that and that includes playing the best players at their disposal!

If JJ was rated at 5.0 million pounds coming in from a renowned club as PSG, I really do not see Okoronkwo (a defender for that matter) being rated any higher than 3.0 million pounds (that is, if he played every game for Wolves). That is a fee Wolves would able to dole out should they have to extend his contract if they remain in the EPL.

The guy needs to face the reality that he is not good enough to play for Wolves and work hard to correct the situation!
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I doubt if this story is true. I think Isaac (if he said these things) is just making excuses. Managers are not that backwards, and even if they were, the board will be within their right to ask questions of the manager.
To stop trying is to start dying
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

Look, Jones is a moi-moi manager so I would not put it past him. Check out how he did similar while at Southampton
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Leeds want to stay in the top league too. You'd better be sure that if Isaac was all that, he'd be starting!

This story does not sound right!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Eclipse
Egg
Egg

Post by Eclipse »

What do you mean by if isaac is all that, he'd be starting!!! Dave Jones signed a player for a year and has not played him in the first team. Yet, the defenders he's got at the moment are acknowledged to be some of the worst in the premiership!!!!!

Have you seen them play,(don't let those two results against man u and liverpool fool you) wait until they start travelling on the road and you'll see how appalling their defenders are!!!!

I don't know if dave jones thinks its a case of the longer they play together, the better they will get cause I for one cannot see how Isaac is not allowed to play ONE game for wolves in the premiership. :? :?

Isaac is quality(even though he has "problems in the air".But that not withstanding, if he's got problems, what about those two centre backs leaking goals like sieves :x :x

Abeg, Isaac, have a good tournament and get the hell out of molineux, dave jones na original tosser!!!! :evil:
only the super eagles of nigeria are capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory-total football magazine circa june 02'
NEDI
Egg
Egg

Post by NEDI »

YUJAM wrote:Leeds want to stay in the top league too. You'd better be sure that if Isaac was all that, he'd be starting!

This story does not sound right!
I wonder why some of you think this story is too far fetched. If Isaac is as bad as the manager wants us to believe why in the world was he even signed on in the first place.
On a team with defensive problems like Wolves, I think Isaac not getting a game is just unforgiveable.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

As bad as Canara is, if he can get a game l don't see why Isaac can't as well.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
elhadji
Egg
Egg

Post by elhadji »

Isaaco has not even started one league game and Wolves are at the bottom of the premiership leaking goals like no mans business. If they were winning games and were a mid table side I would understand the coach not using him. But they are a useless team.

Surely, something does not make sense there. A decent coach and a decent man would give Isaaco a runout in the team to see what he can add to the mix. To me the only thing that guy lacks is concentration. In dead ball situations and man marking he often goes to sleep and then has to rely on his physical attributes to recover.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Signing a player for one year and then sticking him in the reserves because he signed a one year contract doesnt wash with me
felele
Egg
Egg

Post by felele »

This calls to mind the treatment meted out by Joe Royle to Daniel Amokachi when he was at the top of his game at Everton.
Bend it like felele
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

The ball is in Isaac's court. He now has a chance to showcase his skills and prove all his doubters wrong (whichn I'm sure he will).

Its time he went to a better club. Part of a maager's job is to keep a player happy. Jones looks like an Alcoholic anyway - so he probably wouldn't know any better
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

Otitokoro wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:As sad as the situation is, I doubt if the 1 year contract is the problem. Regardless of if Okoronkwo plays or not throughout the season, I doubt if they would be able to hold on to him cos Isaac is way too talented to ply his trade at the Nationwide league.

Thank you!
Staying in the EPL for Wolves is much more beneficial than playing in the Nationwide league - millions of pounds, that is. They will do anything to accomplish that and that includes playing the best players at their disposal!

If JJ was rated at 5.0 million pounds coming in from a renowned club as PSG, I really do not see Okoronkwo (a defender for that matter) being rated any higher than 3.0 million pounds (that is, if he played every game for Wolves). That is a fee Wolves would able to dole out should they have to extend his contract if they remain in the EPL.

The guy needs to face the reality that he is not good enough to play for Wolves and work hard to correct the situation!
It's people like you that believe so much in a coach and feel he is benching Okoronkwo for factual reasons. keep on deceiving yourself. It's like saying every chick is a virgin. This decision goes further than football. Face it and stop working off the wrong base!
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

What Isaac has said is the cruel truth of the institutional racism that exists in the premiership.
These guys are the master of psychology and they can make you feel so worthless that you will sign anything thrown to you. If he is not playing, few people will want him! Simple.
This is arm twisting and is all about making a quality player sign for less than he is worth.
I pray he does well in the ANC and then the manager will be asked questions by fans and even commentators. This is a tournament Isaac must play his heart out. When he gets back, if there are any enquiries for him, Wolves will start playing him and will try and entise him with a lucrative offer as they know he will definitely go for nothing!
I wish him and the Super Eagles the VERY best!
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

I don't know all the facts of this case, but one thing I can swear on...Okoronkwo is not worse than the guys I've seen play in defence for Wolves.