Coach praises Akpeyi for monstrous performance in derby win

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Coach praises Akpeyi for monstrous performance in derby win

Post by Lolly »

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/socce ... t-pirates/
Chiefs coach Middendorp praises Akpeyi for his monstrous performance against Pirates

01 March 2020 - 12:48

BY MARC STRYDOM

Kaizer Chiefs coach Ernst Middendorp said that an immense performance from goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi in Amakhosi’s huge 1-0 Soweto derby win against Orlando Pirates on Saturday was made more impressive by the circumstances in which it came.

Akpeyi’s mistake in a 2-1 home defeat to Maritzburg United‚ a result that put Chiefs under pressure going into the derby as their Absa Premiership lead was cut from nine to four points‚ had seen calls for Bafana Bafana and Amakhosi veteran and favourite Itumeleng Khune to return between the poles.

Middendorp said such a situation never made it easy for Akpeyi‚ and praised the Nigeria No 1 for responding with a monstrous performance.

“Compliments‚ not because of the result‚ because we have seen a great performance from Daniel Akpeyi over months‚” Middendorp said afterwards.

“I think it’s an unbelievable character if you come into a club where everybody’s first choice [Khune] being injured at that time‚ now coming back. And at any time you get pressurised – another one should play‚ another one should play.

“I think it’s an incredible performance under these circumstances‚ what we see week-in‚ week-out from Daniel Akpeyi.

“Compliments to him in particular. Otherwise the entire team have contributed.”

It was also a brave decision by Middendorp to stick with the man who‚ apart from one glaring error‚ had played a big part in Chiefs leading the league‚ knowing that if it backfired the coach would have been castigated.

“That’s the job we are in as coaches – ‘It backfires’‚” Middendorp laughed.

“But believe me‚ just to get to this point – if you start with this‚ where you are ‘Oof‚ if I make this decision and it backfires for me’ ... . [Where you are thinking] ‘Oh no‚ take the beloved Itu Khune and ignore the performance level from a player you have in a training session’ ... .

“If you really think so far – that it might backfire – I mean‚ come on man. Then go and sell insurance or do something else.”

Chiefs now have a seven-point lead against second-placed defending champions Mamelodi Sundowns‚ who have played a game less‚ and nine points over Pirates‚ who have played one more game.

Amakhosi meet AmaZulu at FNB on Saturday.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Coach praises Akpeyi for monstrous performance in derby

Post by Lolly »

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Good job in goal :clap:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote:
Juju at work? Wetin be dat at the foot of one of his goal posts? :rotf: :rotf: na waaao!!! Great saves by Akpeyi.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Nigeria’s best.Well done Dan. :clap: :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Wow benching Nkhune in SA no be small beans o!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

maceo4 wrote:Wow benching Nkhune in SA no be small beans o!
Our residents agents are not and will not be happy.

Daniel has been castigated by a loud minority, who aim to is push GK in division 3 and 4 to the SE.

Daniel keep doing your best, remember what you were told, when you were unceremoniously dropped to the bench during the WC.... Keep your head up, keep getting better and your time will come. Your are SE No.1 GK, the rest are pretenders.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

:lol:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Akpeyi just needs confidence.
Its unfortunate that the moment he steps foot in Naija, the negativity hits him like a sledge hammer
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Damunk wrote:Akpeyi just needs confidence.
Its unfortunate that the moment he steps foot in Naija, the negativity hits him like a sledge hammer

My brother he gets even worse negativity in South Africa since he moved to their biggest club and is keeping their national team goalkeeper on the bench. Any little mistake he makes there is magnified tenfold. Despite an excellent season in which he's been a major part of keeping his clubside in pole position to win the SPFL, he committed an error that cost his team the game two weeks ago, and the Kaizer Chiefs fans went berserk calling for his head and questioning the coach for continuing to keep Khune on the bench. Many fans did not want to see him in goal ahead of their matchup with their bitter rivals Orlando Pirates.

That's what made his performance vs Pirates so epic.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mystic wrote:

My brother he gets even worse negativity in South Africa since he moved to their biggest club and is keeping their national team goalkeeper on the bench. Any little mistake he makes there is magnified tenfold. Despite an excellent season in which he's been a major part of keeping his clubside in pole position to win the SPFL, he committed an error that cost his team the game two weeks ago, and the Kaizer Chiefs fans went berserk calling for his head and questioning the coach for continuing to keep Khune on the bench. Many fans did not want to see him in goal ahead of their matchup with their bitter rivals Orlando Pirates.

That's what made his performance vs Pirates so epic.
Wow.
And here I was thinking it was just us.
Unfortunately goalkeeping errors tend to be far more catastrophic than striker, midfielder or defensive errors and they cannot afford to make more than the very occasional one. Fans can be very unforgiving of 'keepers, even though outfield players make errors all the time.
He has to be strong. He def proved himself in this game. :thumb:
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Well done flying Akpeyi, that defence just left him to it!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Congratulations, Akpeyi.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Nigeria's current best!!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle Damunkey, this is a false perception of Akpeyi. If actually look at his performances for Nigeria objectively, you will see that he has been best of the current goalkeepers we have. The only real example anyone can as his poor performance for Nigeria was the Argentina friendly. Every other example is just made up.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

1naija wrote:
Uncle Damunkey, this is a false perception of Akpeyi. If actually look at his performances for Nigeria objectively, you will see that he has been best of the current goalkeepers we have. The only real example anyone can as his poor performance for Nigeria was the Argentina friendly. Every other example is just made up.
Dude stop lying.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

The so-called "real" Nigerians are all finally coming around
See my line up, in my signature, below. It's been that way for months
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

bret- hart wrote:
1naija wrote:
Dude stop lying.
Bret Fart, who has been better?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

1naija wrote:
1Neuron, I am in no doubt that Akpeyi wasn't given a fair trial by Nigerian fans and media. That one error v Argentina cemented all preconceptions many fans had about him. After that it became a free-for-all and the guy was blamed for everything blameable. That brilliant last minute Mahrez FK that knocked us out of AFCON was even attributed to his "bad positioning".
He became a lightening rod for all the frustrated SE fans esp those short sighted ones that are praying day and night for Rohr to be sacked..
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Damunk wrote:
1naija wrote:
1Neuron, I am in no doubt that Akpeyi wasn't given a fair trial by Nigerian fans and media. That one error v Argentina cemented all preconceptions many fans had about him. After that it became a free-for-all and the guy was blamed for everything blameable. That brilliant last minute Mahrez FK that knocked us out of AFCON was even attributed to his "bad positioning".
He became a lightening rod for all the frustrated SE fans esp those short sighted ones that are praying day and night for Rohr to be sacked..
Anyone that blamed him for Mahrez spectacular free kick must have been very high on Ondo's finest. The only way he could have been in better position to save that goal was if he stood right behind the line and left the other post completely open like he did against Argentina. If anything he saved us from being beaten 5-1 by Algeria with spectacular one on one point blank saves.

Until we discover that phantom world class goalkeeper making fantastic saves under bridges in Lagos, he is our best. Uzoho showed some improvement in his last game for Nigeria before his injury, but he not better.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention your name, Damunkey..
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Damunk wrote:
1naija wrote:
You too like trouble, so you are calling Mazi porky and the crazy keke driver all these shortsighted names.

Anyways, Truth be told, our keeping situation hasn’t been that great since Enyeama left. Akpeyi’s facial expression gives the opponents confidence and reduces his fans to jello. That doesn’t mean he is a bad keeper. He is the best of the bunch at the moment but the youngsters have a higher ceiling if the continue to improve.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
lacidi
Egg
Egg
Akpeyi wins it for Chiefs

Post by lacidi »

Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.