Is Babayaro Now Surplus Materials?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is Babayaro Now Surplus Materials?

Post by General Trousers »

Let us be objective. Consider this -

1. A left back that contributes little to attack
2. The prescence of Udeze, and now Taiwo (among others)
3. Few goals for Club and Country since 1996
4. Various fueds with players/coach

In a WC setting I believe we are allowed to select 18 players. If Udeze is certainly going, then will someone dress and make space for Babayaro to sit down? I don't think so.

What you like to see in Babayaros game for him to win your heart again. He is one of the most athletic players on the field ... but has been exposed as surplus by Chelsea.
kongi the emir

Post by kongi the emir »

As much as we like to bash Baba i must admit that the guy is a highly regarded LB. 7yrs at chelsea is nothing to sniff at, nor is the fact that he was signed by Newcastle at the earlist availability keeping in mind that Liverpool and middlesBOLI were also very interested. All that being said i think come 06 its going to be very difficult to deny Baba an automatic shirt in the SE lineup if he is playing regularly for newcastle. The odd man out will be UDEZE. He has to take it from Baba while Taiwo can just cruise and take his opprtunity as it comes. Taiwo is the best offensive LB we currently have while Baba remains the best defensive naija LB. If CCC goes for defense which is more likely then i dont see Udeze beating baba to a shirt. However if he has enough confidence in the defensive abilities of taiwo then it might just be lights out for both baba and Udeze as far as starting is concerned.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Is Babayaro Now Surplus Materials?

Post by YUJAM »

I'd say yes.. Unless his form improves drastically at Newcastle. He needs to start taking risks again.
General Trousers wrote:Let us be objective. Consider this -

1. A left back that contributes little to attack
2. The prescence of Udeze, and now Taiwo (among others)
3. Few goals for Club and Country since 1996
4. Various fueds with players/coach

In a WC setting I believe we are allowed to select 18 players. If Udeze is certainly going, then will someone dress and make space for Babayaro to sit down? I don't think so.

What you like to see in Babayaros game for him to win your heart again. He is one of the most athletic players on the field ... but has been exposed as surplus by Chelsea.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Mind you I am not bashing the guy. I am simply stating that from his vantage of comfort, not a few people have been raiding his pantry. He has been a SOLID player and this perhaps has made him feel perhaps untouchable.

The reality is good players are appearing left and right.
kongi the emir wrote:As much as we like to bash Baba i must admit that the guy is a highly regarded LB. 7yrs at chelsea is nothing to sniff at, nor is the fact that he was signed by Newcastle at the earlist availability keeping in mind that Liverpool and middlesBOLI were also very interested. All that being said i think come 06 its going to be very difficult to deny Baba an automatic shirt in the SE lineup if he is playing regularly for newcastle.

The odd man out will be UDEZE. He has to take it from Baba while Taiwo can just cruise and take his opprtunity as it comes. Taiwo is the best offensive LB we currently have while Baba remains the best defensive naija LB. If CCC goes for defense which is more likely then i dont see Udeze beating baba to a shirt. However if he has enough confidence in the defensive abilities of taiwo then it might just be lights out for both baba and Udeze as far as starting is concerned.
kaycee2g

Post by kaycee2g »

it is threads like this that makes the word "stupid" feel important.

What the hell are y'all blabering about?? Baba has told Nigeria to go to hell, that he does not intend to wear the green again. Please leave Baba alone. let him enjoy his life. Abi na by force person go play for Naija???
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

kongi the emir wrote:As much as we like to bash Baba i must admit that the guy is a highly regarded LB. 7yrs at chelsea is nothing to sniff at, nor is the fact that he was signed by Newcastle at the earlist availability keeping in mind that Liverpool and middlesBOLI were also very interested. All that being said i think come 06 its going to be very difficult to deny Baba an automatic shirt in the SE lineup if he is playing regularly for newcastle. The odd man out will be UDEZE. He has to take it from Baba while Taiwo can just cruise and take his opprtunity as it comes. Taiwo is the best offensive LB we currently have while Baba remains the best defensive naija LB. If CCC goes for defense which is more likely then i dont see Udeze beating baba to a shirt. However if he has enough confidence in the defensive abilities of taiwo then it might just be lights out for both baba and Udeze as far as starting is concerned.

Well spotted, Benitez,McClaren and their scouts cannot be wrong.Udeze's neme isn't raising pulses this transfer window.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

I think you are missing the point of this thread. We are talking about the National Team. Ignore what KC said, when the World Cup comes, all players want to attend the dance, and have a change of heart. It is ONLY Dutch players who scuttle their WC chances every 4 years with player tirade after player tirade ...

So really what are our options wrt to the left back slot in the Super Eagles {the context of this discussion}. Yes Babayaro is a great player, but it seems he is now getting on fine w/o International Caps (He must have some sort of EU citizenship now), and other young players are interested in his job.
tolahs wrote:
kongi the emir wrote:As much as we like to bash Baba i must admit that the guy is a highly regarded LB. 7yrs at chelsea is nothing to sniff at, nor is the fact that he was signed by Newcastle at the earlist availability keeping in mind that Liverpool and middlesBOLI were also very interested. All that being said i think come 06 its going to be very difficult to deny Baba an automatic shirt in the SE lineup if he is playing regularly for newcastle. The odd man out will be UDEZE. He has to take it from Baba while Taiwo can just cruise and take his opprtunity as it comes. Taiwo is the best offensive LB we currently have while Baba remains the best defensive naija LB. If CCC goes for defense which is more likely then i dont see Udeze beating baba to a shirt. However if he has enough confidence in the defensive abilities of taiwo then it might just be lights out for both baba and Udeze as far as starting is concerned.

Well spotted, Benitez,McClaren and their scouts cannot be wrong.Udeze's neme isn't raising pulses this transfer window.
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

It is factors other than skill that will determine Baba's
place on the National team.

In recent years, he has become very picky in responding
to National call-ups (due to 101 different reasons ranging
from ticket refunds to pride). He chooses only to respond
to call-ups for the big game (the WC). He will need to
up his game tremendously for a coach to drop his loyal
players for Baba when the big game comes around in
2006 - if we make it!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Baba must first be willing to play on the team now. You all think that other team mates will simply accept him back when he becomes interested because the WC finals are around the corner. The guy has pulled that stuff of waiting till the team qualifies for the tournament and then showing up to play.

Now, we should not continue to believe that such team psychological distabilization does not matter. It does. If he does not want to play now then the coaches will be making a mistake to accept him back after the team qualifies for Germany. I am perfectly comfortable with the par of Udeze and Taiwo.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I can't remember the last time Baba played in a friendly or a qualifying game. He seems to only show up for championship matches. In any case he may not be needed with the likes of Udeze, Taiwo, Emaghara all doing well at left bac
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Baba don't play Qualifying Matches-JUST THE REAL THING-ANC-WC.
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Enugu II wrote:Baba must first be willing to play on the team now. You all think that other team mates will simply accept him back when he becomes interested because the WC finals are around the corner. The guy has pulled that stuff of waiting till the team qualifies for the tournament and then showing up to play.

Now, we should not continue to believe that such team psychological distabilization does not matter. It does. If he does not want to play now then the coaches will be making a mistake to accept him back after the team qualifies for Germany. I am perfectly comfortable with the par of Udeze and Taiwo.
well said bros...this is really a factor for a lack of harmony in a team and a source for envy....I really much hope Baba supports us at the world cup...but he must play the qualifiers before to be allowed to go for the world Cup!....a player just playing for the world cup and waiting for the others to qualify him!what be dis???
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

He came for ANC and he was sent home like a goat, they put their business in the newspapers and all and u guys think that he will be running back like that? He has played for naija for 11 yrs, maybe the boy is considering retirement, fans don't appreciate his effort anywayz. Omoyelewa(sp) of Germany get more love than him here.
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg
leave dis guy alone

Post by jungle-jawara »

YOu guys are funny. Of all those guys that came in with Baba, how many of them can boast of still upping their games? I am not talking about just the national team, but also club level. This guy knows exactly what he is doing, and he is as good as anyone can be. He is not one to show up only when the lights are on. My pick for lb anytime in Niegria is Baba. It is a shame you guys have not gotten to know how cool headed this guy is. How many of his mates at the 1993 u17 are still making waves? See how he is about the only one who has not been blamed for downing his age
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: leave dis guy alone

Post by mastermind »

jungle-jawara wrote:YOu guys are funny. Of all those guys that came in with Baba, how many of them can boast of still upping their games? I am not talking about just the national team, but also club level. This guy knows exactly what he is doing, and he is as good as anyone can be. He is not one to show up only when the lights are on. My pick for lb anytime in Niegria is Baba. It is a shame you guys have not gotten to know how cool headed this guy is. How many of his mates at the 1993 u17 are still making waves? See how he is about the only one who has not been blamed for downing his age
people are just playerhating him cos he keeps shining. With the way people bash him here, teams like Liverpool, Newcastle etc are still winlling to sign him for 4 years contract.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

I admire Babayaro since from the Olympic gold-medal run,

But I have to admit he has lost some of the daring offensive punch we saw in that Olympics where he was flying through with utter abandon

Maybe club-play has constrained him, who knows.

But eagus needs wing-backs who are reliable defensively & fearless offensively. Whether we play an Akinfe 3-5-2 or a CCC 4-4-2 or an overloaded-midfiled (ala eagus 1994) 4-5-1, we need more offensive punch from our back-line.