THIS IS BAD

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet
THIS IS BAD

Post by skillful »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 427429.stm

Wadsworth misses opener

Mick Wadsworth missed the Nations Cup's opening match
DR Congo's English coach Mick Wadsworth did not get to see the opening match of the African Cup of Nations after the team's liaison refused to take him to the ground.
Wadsworth and his staff, who are still awaiting tournament accreditation, said they had not been given tickets to watch their Group A rivals Tunisia and Rwanda in action.

The Simbas opening match is against Guinea on Sunday.

"The people who are supposed to be our liaison would not help us get to the stadium," Wadsworth said.

"They wouldn't even take us to the venue.

"Winning is not important without an element of sportsmanship.

"The country can't surely be that desperate to win."

Instead the coach had to watch the game, which Tunisia won 2-1 on television.

Host's Tunisia meet DR Congo on Wednesday in Rades.

The former Huddersfield Town boss was also unhappy with the sight of his squad's training ground, which is more than an hour's travel from their hotel.

"If we train twice a day, we spend four hours on the road," he said.

"But I suppose if you share the same group with the host nation, these things can happen.

"I just didn't expect it in a major tournament like the Cup of Nations."

Wadsworth has been dogged by problems since taking over the Simabas last November, including botched travel arrangements and a threatened player strike.

He then lost the services of former French under-21 player Franck Matingou, who was excluded just before the tournaments he had not received clearance from Fifa to change national allegiances.
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Spoiling tactics, the host need all the help they cant get. Last nite's performance was nothing to write home about