10 reasons why I am not getting carried away yet

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 reasons why I am not getting carried away yet

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Yes, we beat Cameroon 3-0 but it is not yet uhuru
[2] We won by such a margin because Cameroon was a very poor team
[3] Did you notice how Congo kept everything in front of their back four but it was easy to get behind Cameroon?
[4] Our Eagles still needs a lot of work in too many areas of the team
[5] We still do not have proper fullback. Maybe Musa Mohammed and Juwon Oshaniwa might just do the trick
[6] We still do not know our best central defensive pairing yet
[7] Oliseh appears to have settled for 4-3-3 but who are his two widemen? Will he go for Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa? Are they good enough
[8] Our biggest headache remains who will be our playmaker. Several players have been tried there but no one has claimed the position yet. Let us see if Iheanacho can
[9] Who should be our targetman? Emenike of Ighalo?
[10] Oliseh has given himself a problem by making Musa captain. Does that mean he has to field him every game?
goldenera94
Egg
Egg
Re: 10 reasons why I am not getting carried away yet

Post by goldenera94 »

I concur
Goldenera94
amoky
Egg
Egg

Post by amoky »

I just need just one reason not to read your 10 rubbish. you would have coined another 10 reasons oliseh is not the right manager had we lost yesterday. can you for once take out positives, So Cameroon are as week as Chad or Niger.. You would have complained even if the victory was against Argentina SMH :ohmy: :ohmy: :veryangry: :veryangry:
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

Ayo, cut this down to 5 points and I will KPOM your post. It doesn't always has to be 10 points, you know :rotf:

Meanwhile, let's fix your post (points):

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Yes, we beat Cameroon 3-0 but it is not yet uhuru
[3] Our Eagles still needs a lot of work in too many areas of the team
[4] We still do not have proper fullback. Maybe Musa Mohammed and Juwon Oshaniwa might just do the trick
[5] Oliseh has given himself a problem by making Musa captain. Does that mean he has to field him every game?
Note to: Emir Kongi, big porkey, and smartbrother: Don't talk unless you can improve the silence. (c)
www.awooze.com

#BringBackOurGirls
Hashtag #KeshiDonHammer
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

[quote="Ayo Akinfe"][1] Yes, we beat Cameroon 3-0 but it is not yet uhuru
[3] Did you notice how Congo kept everything in front of their back four but it was easy to get behind Cameroon?
[5] We still do not have proper fullback. Maybe Musa Mohammed and Juwon Oshaniwa might just do the trick
[7] Oliseh appears to have settled for 4-3-3 but who are his two widemen? Will he go for Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa? Are they good enough
[8] Our biggest headache remains who will be our playmaker. Several players have been tried there but no one has claimed the position yet. Let us see if Iheanacho can
[10] Oliseh has given himself a problem by making Musa captain. Does that mean he has to field him every game?[/quote]

No problem at all Oliseh don’t have to field or start him every game but he will always be in the squad if fit and in form - like a Kanu never gives excuses complain or dug out from call ups – high commitment on and off. however Mikel commitment in field of play good--- off field ?????
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

walesvilla wrote:
[10] Oliseh has given himself a problem by making Musa captain. Does that mean he has to field him every game?[/quote]

No problem at all Oliseh don’t have to field or start him every game but he will always be in the squad if fit and in form - like a Kanu never gives excuses complain or dug out from call ups – high commitment on and off. however Mikel commitment in field of play good--- off field ?????
KPOM. Much ado about nothing.
If the captain is not playing one of the assistants will have the band. Even the likes of Mikel will gladly wear the band when the team eventually takes shape. If Oliseh proves himself to be a worthy manager and leader all hands will be on deck.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Super Eagle wrote:Ayo, cut this down to 5 points and I will KPOM your post. It doesn't always has to be 10 points, you know :rotf:

[4] We still do not have proper fullback. Maybe Musa Mohammed and Juwon Oshaniwa might just do the trick
[5] Oliseh has given himself a problem by making Musa captain. Does that mean he has to field him every game?
Good but I don't think any of the points is lost on anyone here not to talk of Sunday Oliseh and his assistants. Even if Cameroon fielded their very best team or if it was same scoreline against a very strong CIV in a friendly you can't sing Uhuru at this stage.

However,

i) Did the coaches achieve a chunk of their objectives with the 2 friendlies? I believe so. We saw the ugly first and we saw the good. We even saw off the field challenges. Oliseh couldn't have asked for more within a week. Great experience for any coach.

2.) Were they able to convince most Nigerian football fans that they know what they are doing? IMO a strong YES.

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
Super Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by Super Eagle »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Super Eagle wrote:Ayo, cut this down to 5 points and I will KPOM your post. It doesn't always has to be 10 points, you know :rotf:

Good but I don't think any of the points is lost on anyone here not to talk of Sunday Oliseh and his assistants. Even if Cameroon fielded their very best team or if it was same scoreline against a very strong CIV in a friendly you can't sing Uhuru at this stage.

However,

i) Did the coaches achieve a chunk of their objectives with the 2 friendlies? I believe so. We saw the ugly first and we saw the good. We even saw off the field challenges. Oliseh couldn't have asked for more within a week. Great experience for any coach.

2.) Were they able to convince most Nigerian football fans that they know what they are doing? IMO a strong YES.
Speak for yourself, bro. I saw some natives celebrating and popping champagnes as if Oliseh has just won the World Cup :shock:
Note to: Emir Kongi, big porkey, and smartbrother: Don't talk unless you can improve the silence. (c)
www.awooze.com

#BringBackOurGirls
Hashtag #KeshiDonHammer
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[10] Oliseh has given himself a problem by making Musa captain. Does that mean he has to field him every game?
Exactly what I was thinking and asking myself. Will Musa be fielded in every game or will the Captain be on the bench and sometimes, never? Well, maybe Oliseh and Co knows what they are doing
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Super Eagle wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

However,

Speak for yourself, bro. I saw some natives celebrating and popping champagnes as if Oliseh has just won the World Cup :shock:
So what if some choose to celebrate a victory even if it's a tune-up? How does that affect you? I will celebrate any victory over any major rival under any circumstance and that does not mean I take it to be uhuru. Also, a loss would have been painful.

Bottomline, my comment was focused on the coaching crew and the team and I believe those are the people that Ayo's points addressed :D .

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Odas wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:[10] Oliseh has given himself a problem by making Musa captain. Does that mean he has to field him every game?
Exactly what I was thinking and asking myself. Will Musa be fielded in every game or will the Captain be on the bench and sometimes, never? Well, maybe Oliseh and Co knows what they are doing
Yes, a captain can be on the bench. It happens and there is no FIFA rule against it.

paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

[10] Oliseh has given himself a problem by making Musa captain. Does that mean he has to field him every game?
:blink:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Poor team or not, we have been playing poor teams for eons and struggling, playing hopeless ball. Yesterday was something I have not seen in a long time.

By the way Cameroon just beat the Belgium league leaders 3-1 before they played us. Although na rubbish FIFA rankings, they are ranked above us as well.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

vancity eagle wrote:Poor team or not, we have been playing poor teams for eons and struggling, playing hopeless ball. Yesterday was something I have not seen in a long time.

By the way Cameroon just beat the Belgium league leaders 3-1 before they played us. Although na rubbish FIFA rankings, they are ranked above us as well.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

The team yesterday looked like a coordinated orchestra, unlike the disjointed teams
with gaping midfield that the opposition runs through like the 'Autobahn'.
If Oliseh and his coaches keep jelling the team, the SE will become competitive again.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

That defense is extremely poor. I am not buying the Balogun hype in defense. Our fullbacks were exposed.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ohenhen1 wrote:That defense is extremely poor. I am not buying the Balogun hype in defense. Our fullbacks were exposed.

You are smoking something. That Balogun display, was perhaps the best display I have seen by a CB in a very long time. He was a straight boss.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

While I agree with you that people should not overreact after this win but the same should apply to the loss to Congo DR. For instance, it is likely that the camp crisis affected the players in that Congo game. Never under estimate that. Against Cameroon, we played well and even though it is an international friendly we must understand what we are capable of against some of our competitors. Granted that Cameroon has been poor for years but has Nigeria done much since the 2014 World Cup?

For me, you are spot on regarding our defense. Right now, we have no one that you can say with any confidence is a sure starter or should be a sure starter on that defense. Bologna had his best game yet (Second half) but that isn't saying much. When you look at that game, the mystery to me is his inability to routinely win aerial contests in spite of his height. Contrast to Efe's domination in aerial contests. However, he is a guy who accurately assesses danger and does not take chances defensively. A plus compared to Efe and a few others.

I share your take on Musa because of his inconsistencies. However, what choices were there for Oliseh? If Enyeama and Mikel were not diligent in answering his call ups, why rely on them? He had to go to the next guy. The only other option would have been Onazi in my opinion. I just don't buy Omeruo as option because Omeruo has been on the decline for a while and who is to say that he deserves to start on the time at the moment?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

A skipper is a guy who leads the team on and off the pitch. I fail to see the logic behind naming someone captain when he will not be on the pitch to lead the boys.

For me, the following are more certain to start than Musa:

Carl Ikeme
Kenneth Omeruo
Mikel Obi
Ogenyi Onazi
Victor Moses

Common sense tells me that Oliseh would have been better naming one of them as his skipper. How is Musa going to motivate the team and lift morale when he is not on the field of play?

My view is that Oliseh was a bit hasty in his decision. Your captain should be a regular starter in my opinion!