Oliseh's Super Eagles Emerging; Somewhat....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Oliseh's Super Eagles Emerging; Somewhat....

Post by txj »

Two friendlies against Congo DR and Cameroon begin to show clearer the footprints of Oliseh's tenure as coach of the Super Eagles.

http://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/2015/ ... ewhat.html
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Oliseh's Super Eagles Emerging; Somewhat....

Post by txj »

Two major tactical issues stand out from both matches:

http://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/2015/ ... ewhat.html[/quote]

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

But the flip side of this is that Oliseh must back this up by an aggressive search for the players to match his philosophy of the game. Such an aggressive mindset would need to ignore the club profile of players, or phony classifications of age grades....
:clap:
Considerable work still remains to be done in organization of the team in the non-possession phase, ...
This has become a mantra for you. Can you give an example of a national side that is excellent at this on a consistent basis?

Good article.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

metalalloy wrote:
But the flip side of this is that Oliseh must back this up by an aggressive search for the players to match his philosophy of the game. Such an aggressive mindset would need to ignore the club profile of players, or phony classifications of age grades....
:clap:
Considerable work still remains to be done in organization of the team in the non-possession phase, ...
This has become a mantra for you. Can you give an example of a national side that is excellent at this on a consistent basis?

Good article.

Multiple countries bro....multiple.

But SO is still at a very early stage so this is understandable.

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Omeruo is getting regular first team football in Turkey, he is only injured at the moment.
I am happy
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Good write up... however, I would challenge you regarding Sly Igbonu.

I think Sly brings a different dynamic to the central midfield role that has been long absent. I liked the speed and aggression he brought to the role, always challenging the defense and moving the ball forward, while finding mates that were open. Can't recall the numerous amount of fouls he got in the last third for Nigeria.
Yes, he is listed as a forward. However, I thought he played the attacking MF role with aplomb, which tells me he is very versatile. Last time I saw that happen was with Okocha.

Regarding Rabiu, I will maintain that he is way too lightweight for the role - too small and lacks speed. The AM role is not just about the ability to spray passes...it involves taking initiatives atimes. I do commend Oliseh for having the foresight to slide Igbonu into the AM role. Lets see how it pans out over the next couple of games.

Finally, on Mr. Emenike, I would hope Oliseh is scouring for alternatives, as dude doesn't seem to be it (and that has been the case for a while now, even under Keshi). I would like to see Kehinde Fatai tried out, as he has been performing quite well for his club (Sparta Prague), both in the Czech and European League level. Or even Aaron Samuel, who, after reviewing previous games he played in, wasn't as bad as I initially thought, as he brings a dynamic lacking with our strikers now (size - at 6'2", speed and holdup play).
Fact is: Emenike's ball hogging & physical preferences do not necessarily jive with the style of play Oliseh is trying to posit for this team.
txj wrote:
Two friendlies against Congo DR and Cameroon begin to show clearer the footprints of Oliseh's tenure as coach of the Super Eagles.

http://africanfutbol.blogspot.com/2015/ ... ewhat.html
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

I won't be too hasty to throw away Emenike. Yes he hasn't scored in ages but he all around contribution in terms of work rate, hold up play, linking with teammates and also very importantly, ability to handle physical punishment from defenders/markers (especially in Africa) is still unmatched by any SE striker currently on the books. Odion is a sharp finisher with good movement but is not physical. Same applies to Martins. At worst, the trio of Martins, Odion and Emenike should be called up for the next fixture. Also, Emenike can be effective from wide positions where he routinely delivers quality balls into the box. He need not start but can be effective off the bench against weary defenders.

As for Igbonu, he's put in a good shift vs the Lions but overall, the quality is lacking in various attributes expected of an AM. Did someone compare him to JJ? Please leave story. For one thing they're totally different players in addition to the fact that he hasn't exhibited a fraction of JJ's overall quality on the ball. That said, his effort was commendable but that position is very much up for grabs and Oliseh will have to look downwards to the u23 level at the likes of Kelechi and perhaps, Yahaya, for long term answers.

On the wing, Vic Mo needs return asap. Defensively, options are emerging by way of Balogun and Efe in central defense to complete against Kenneth and oboabona. Though the fat gap at RB still remains. Oliseh will have to scour the earth for one. Good luck boss.

In goal, I'm not sold on Ikeme compared against Enyeama. The two of them will have to sit down and patch up the differences in the interest of Nigeria. Ikeme has tried but you cannot put a value on Vince experience and Vince is still active and in his prime.

All in all, I feel Oliseh is onto something but he needs to improve his management of personnel and stay away from unnecessary drama in order to enjoy the fruits of his vision.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

G4L,
Just to clarify...
I didn't 'compare' Igbonu to JJ. I only made a reference to a particular component Sly exhibited, which was driving hard at the opponents defense and forcing them on their heels (he did the same in the Congo game).
That was a key component of the SE that has been missing since JJ left.
green4life wrote:I won't be too hasty to throw away Emenike. Yes he hasn't scored in ages but he all around contribution in terms of work rate, hold up play, linking with teammates and also very importantly, ability to handle physical punishment from defenders/markers (especially in Africa) is still unmatched by any SE striker currently on the books. Odion is a sharp finisher with good movement but is not physical. Same applies to Martins. At worst, the trio of Martins, Odion and Emenike should be called up for the next fixture. Also, Emenike can be effective from wide positions where he routinely delivers quality balls into the box. He need not start but can be effective off the bench against weary defenders.

As for Igbonu, he's put in a good shift vs the Lions but overall, the quality is lacking in various attributes expected of an AM. Did someone compare him to JJ? Please leave story. For one thing they're totally different players in addition to the fact that he hasn't exhibited a fraction of JJ's overall quality on the ball. That said, his effort was commendable but that position is very much up for grabs and Oliseh will have to look downwards to the u23 level at the likes of Kelechi and perhaps, Yahaya, for long term answers.

On the wing, Vic Mo needs return asap. Defensively, options are emerging by way of Balogun and Efe in central defense to complete against Kenneth and oboabona. Though the fat gap at RB still remains. Oliseh will have to scour the earth for one. Good luck boss.

In goal, I'm not sold on Ikeme compared against Enyeama. The two of them will have to sit down and patch up the differences in the interest of Nigeria. Ikeme has tried but you cannot put a value on Vince experience and Vince is still active and in his prime.

All in all, I feel Oliseh is onto something but he needs to improve his management of personnel and stay away from unnecessary drama in order to enjoy the fruits of his vision.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Dammy wrote:Omeruo is getting regular first team football in Turkey, he is only injured at the moment.

just to make una laugh oh..yak is getting starting time and is even capito of a turkish team.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Siddonlook11 wrote:
Dammy wrote:Omeruo is getting regular first team football in Turkey, he is only injured at the moment.

just to make una laugh oh..yak is getting starting time and is even capito of a turkish team.

Yup. Saw him against Fenerbache yesterday
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

green4life wrote:I won't be too hasty to throw away Emenike. Yes he hasn't scored in ages but he all around contribution in terms of work rate, hold up play, linking with teammates and also very importantly, ability to handle physical punishment from defenders/markers (especially in Africa) is still unmatched by any SE striker currently on the books. Odion is a sharp finisher with good movement but is not physical. Same applies to Martins. At worst, the trio of Martins, Odion and Emenike should be called up for the next fixture. Also, Emenike can be effective from wide positions where he routinely delivers quality balls into the box. He need not start but can be effective off the bench against weary defenders.

What about Ujah ? are we done with him ?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

And at best? Cos I'm picky like that. :?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

^^

The SE frontline is easy to pick. Success. Ighalo. Ujah. Iheanacho. Simple.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Its always a mistake to bring JJ into these kinds of discussions as it inevitably invites unfair comparisons...

I have watched Sly for quite a few years, esp in Denmark. He is no attacking MF; doesn't have the attributes. Driving forward at the opposition defence is only a segment of the role, a quality he exhibits better from his more natural wide forward role...

I think Oliseh is wasting time using him there. He should bring Kelechi into that role without more....

@G4L,

I am less worried about the attacking roles than about the defence. But I agree that we should persist a little bit more with Emenike. Not sure there's a need for Martins when Success is showing such encouraging signs...

Otitokoro wrote:G4L,
Just to clarify...
I didn't 'compare' Igbonu to JJ. I only made a reference to a particular component Sly exhibited, which was driving hard at the opponents defense and forcing them on their heels (he did the same in the Congo game).
That was a key component of the SE that has been missing since JJ left.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Just saw the piece about Emenike retiring from international football.

Presents opportunities for others IMO.

And for SO to look towards Success in tandem with Ighalo...