The Unanswered Questions from Emenike's Retirement......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
The Unanswered Questions from Emenike's Retirement......

Post by Enugu II »

While Emenike's prolonged lack of productivity meant that he was expendable, the content of his retirement message raised some questions that many have ignored or have chosen to gloss over. In any case, I bring them up here. I do not for sure have answers to the issues raised but what do you think?
No more Eagles career! "After 5 great years, I am happy to announce that I have put full-stop to my Nationa team career for the sake of national peace." "Its a pleasure for me to have played for this great country. I never regretted it and I think its the best time to end it. Millions thanks to all the fans who have been very supportive during the good and bad times." "I am very proud of my performance, I am proud of my team mates and I am very proud of the nation called 'Nigeria'. My AFCON gold medal is a sign of great achievement, My AFCON topscorer award speaks a lot about my commitment and dedication to the team. Super Eagles is a camp not a family house, and it shouldn't be a threat zone for any individual. I have done according to our national anthem. "All my dreams came true in the national team, I dreamt to win Nations Cup for Nigeria after 20-years, I dreamt to played at the World Cup as well as to make a name for myself... In the space of five years, I got them. I'm a winner! "For every dissapointing fans, maybe due to my inability to re-establish my goal scoring instinct for Super Eagles, I will like to say I'm sorry but the ones I had scored counted well for the team. As long as Nigeria remains, you and I will always remember the name 'Emenike'. "Finally, I am happy to make a bow and continue supporting the team everytime. Up Eagles, God Bless Nigeria!
1. What exactly do you think he means by "threat zone"?

2. I thought a "family house" would mean a zone of comfort but apparently it means something else to Emenike. What could that be?

3. While, it may be open to interpretation, my thinking is that Emenike is really upset about fans. Or who else could he be upset with?

4. Why was it necessary to rehash what he has achieved? Did he feel that someone or some persons have devalued those achievements?

5. What exactly does he mean by "national peace"? Was there a crisis situation?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Unanswered Questions from Emenike's Retirement......

Post by YemiBrazil »

If he no fit explain himself clearly na him shelenge be that. I was hoping he was going to fight to keep himself in the team and break the goals jinx but well I thank him for providing space for the likes of Isaac Success, Kelechi and others. He served well. Oliseh got this!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Prof, why the inquisition?
Dude doesn't want to play for Nigeria no more.
Let him go on his merry way, please!
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Emenike reacted to a speculative article in rushing in his resignation. He's just trying to make a mountain out of mole hill. Just very similar to the way he plays these days, going for the opponent rather than the ball. Thanks to him for his services of the past but his rash and irrational action, he gets his comeuppance.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Enugu II wrote:While Emenike's prolonged lack of productivity meant that he was expendable, the content of his retirement message raised some questions that many have ignored or have chosen to gloss over. In any case, I bring them up here. I do not for sure have answers to the issues raised but what do you think?
No more Eagles career! "After 5 great years, I am happy to announce that I have put full-stop to my Nationa team career for the sake of national peace." "Its a pleasure for me to have played for this great country. I never regretted it and I think its the best time to end it. Millions thanks to all the fans who have been very supportive during the good and bad times." "I am very proud of my performance, I am proud of my team mates and I am very proud of the nation called 'Nigeria'. My AFCON gold medal is a sign of great achievement, My AFCON topscorer award speaks a lot about my commitment and dedication to the team. Super Eagles is a camp not a family house, and it shouldn't be a threat zone for any individual. I have done according to our national anthem. "All my dreams came true in the national team, I dreamt to win Nations Cup for Nigeria after 20-years, I dreamt to played at the World Cup as well as to make a name for myself... In the space of five years, I got them. I'm a winner! "For every dissapointing fans, maybe due to my inability to re-establish my goal scoring instinct for Super Eagles, I will like to say I'm sorry but the ones I had scored counted well for the team. As long as Nigeria remains, you and I will always remember the name 'Emenike'. "Finally, I am happy to make a bow and continue supporting the team everytime. Up Eagles, God Bless Nigeria!
1. What exactly do you think he means by "threat zone"?

2. I thought a "family house" would mean a zone of comfort but apparently it means something else to Emenike. What could that be?

3. While, it may be open to interpretation, my thinking is that Emenike is really upset about fans. Or who else could he be upset with?

4. Why was it necessary to rehash what he has achieved? Did he feel that someone or some persons have devalued those achievements?

5. What exactly does he mean by "national peace"? Was there a crisis situation?
Ok e be clear nah bros...
1)Threat zone some people don dey threaten him and its better he stay away
2)Well family house when some one think he is the owner and dont respect you and your elder you know you are no gonna be comfortable
3)Well he is not upset about fans but the way his keeper was treated and feel its best e walker befor he become next.
4)Well when you have a coach that tell players they are not good and he has achieve more than them.Its better you walker.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Otitokoro wrote:Prof, why the inquisition?
Yes but the reason why is kinda important. He seems to have been harassed and bullied outta the team. If so, not cool.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

theYemster wrote:
Yes but the reason why is kinda important. He seems to have been harassed and bullied outta the team. If so, not cool.
We are being sentimental with this.

If Oliseh and staff engage statistical analysis (Plus and Minus tool) and also base their invitation of players especially strikers on either their club performance or on their performance with the Eagles it will be difficult to justify repeatedly inviting Emenike. To be fair to Oliseh he did give Emenike an opportunity to be directly assessed by him.

Even at that, Emenike retired by himself...

Ps., I can understand keeping an in-form older striker or a struggling young striker but a striker at the downward spiral of his career needs to concentrate on his club career.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Cellular wrote:
theYemster wrote:
We are being sentimental with this.

If Oliseh and staff engage statistical analysis (Plus and Minus tool) and also base their invitation of players especially strikers on either their club performance or on their performance with the Eagles it will be difficult to justify repeatedly inviting Emenike. To be fair to Oliseh he did give Emenike an opportunity to be directly assessed by him.

Even at that, Emenike retired by himself...

Ps., I can understand keeping an in-form older striker or a struggling young striker but a striker at the downward spiral of his career needs to concentrate on his club career.
Clearly you misunderstand or I didn't explain myself well enough. I'm not saying he deserves to be on the team, he obviously doesn't on the basis of his recent performances. If I were the coach I'd have dropped him much earlier sef. However he is suggesting he wasn't dropped but instead hounded, bullied and harassed out of the team. That's not cool.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I don't think it is right for fans to engage in innuendos regarding the reasons why Emenike stepped away. If he wants he can sit with any journalist of his like and completely explain the reason(s) behind his resignation instead of leaving all these conjures and half tales. Until then let us just thank him for his contribution to national service and wish him well in the future. I hope he will rebuild his career and move out of the backward league. MLS would have even been a better league career option.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

According to media reports in Nigeria, Emenike quit because SO told him to move back to Europe and play in a more competitive league to justify his selection. Emenike on the other hand wants to turn his loan deal at Al-Ain to a permanent deal. So the way out for him was to announce his retirement.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Again, by leaving him to go unceremoniously, we are disrespecting our heroes. Yes, he has not been delivering in recent months, but when he was kicking, he was kicking. If the guy is upset about something, we need to dig into it and show regard for his feelings.
Anyone can lose form and it is notorious how we discard of our heroes when we see something new coming over the horizon. Today it is Emenike, tomorrow it will be Iheanacho.
In my view, he doesn't want to play but there is a reason for that and NIGERIA owes him some respect by asking hm weytin happen.
(And I am not saying he is currently deserving of a place, just in case that is not clear)
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Damunk[/color] wrote:
[color=brown]Otitokoro[/color] wrote: Prof, why the inquisition?
Again, by leaving him to go unceremoniously, we are disrespecting our heroes. Yes, he has not been delivering in recent months, but when he was kicking, he was kicking. If the guy is upset about something, we need to dig into it and show regard for his feelings.
Anyone can lose form and it is notorious how we discard of our heroes when we see something new coming over the horizon. Today it is Emenike, tomorrow it will be Iheanacho.
In my view, he doesn't want to play but there is a reason for that and NIGERIA owes him some respect by asking hm weytin happen.
(And I am not saying he is currently deserving of a place, just in case that is not clear)
Bros, you are bringing a lot of sentiments into this discussion. I hope you don't use sentiments in your boardroom decisions nor with patients :P. Honestly speaking we have to regard wearing the GWG as a national honor rather than as a right or privilege. If a sniper soldier is no longer hitting his mark on the battle field are you going to continue to keep him on the field because of what he did in the past or turn the page when there are younger and sharper officers who are ready to go to war?

If he felt disrespected about being dropped there are more matured manners to go about expressing your grievance. He is making it all about him rather than about Nigeria.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Its a Goal wrote:I don't think it is right for fans to engage in innuendos regarding the reasons why Emenike stepped away. If he wants he can sit with any journalist of his like and completely explain the reason(s) behind his resignation instead of leaving all these conjures and half tales. Until then let us just thank him for his contribution to national service and wish him well in the future. I hope he will rebuild his career and move out of the backward league. MLS would have even been a better league career option.
The problem here is that you assume these guys know this,the problem here is that you do not understand the pressure under which guys try to play for Nigeria. All it takes to get a glimpse of that is to put yourself in his shoes sit back and take in some of what is being said about him,you will begin to appreciate...the fear. Note i used the word fear...it is real,because i have been in that camp. Unless you are desperate and need the team to suceed as was the case in the past,to be honest you have a peace of mind not wearing that gwg, not from the sense of unpatriotism but rather from the sense of wanting your peace of mind. Do you know that as a player sometimes you dread opening the oages of the newspapers for fear of what you will read about yourself? This pressure just builds over time and without good counsel most players implode.

I have participated in the beating up of a couple of fans who were fond of always harrassing us ,week in week out this particular guy would pick a player to lampoon with his foul tirade, for several weeks he was ignored ,he got bolder and one day he crossed into the field after a match ,this time to harass the coach,we hunted him down,he waa almost escaping but unfortunately for him he had to get past me, i slide tackled him,one of the best tackles i ever made . By the time we finished with him,it was the last we heard of him. The pressure is real and people deal with it in many ways, friends ,family immediate and extended come under presure because of you. I am not supporting his action, but one must recognise that just as this decision seeems rash,he must have his reasons which at best we must try to understand even if it makes no sense.

Not everyone has a thick skin, not everyone is immuned to harsh criticism..some are fragile and yes sometimes they needed to be wrapped in a cotton...because in reality it is about managing their talent.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

YemiBrazil wrote:If he no fit explain himself clearly na him shelenge be that. I was hoping he was going to fight to keep himself in the team and break the goals jinx but well I thank him for providing space for the likes of Isaac Success, Kelechi and others. He served well. Oliseh got this!
KPAM! Let's let him go! May it be well for him in everything he does, like it should be for us all - here - at the CE
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Emenike chose to go on his own accord I don't understand the brouhaha!!
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Emenike chose to go on his own accord I don't understand the brouhaha!!
If after the numerous explanations given here you still don't understand then clearly that's on you.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Well, who else will retire?

For as long as Oliseh is WINNING, there is no problem. The problems will be swept under the carpet! Person just dey retire just like that? :)
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Some of this players can be annoying, Oloye respect goes both ways, Fans risking lifes, travelling across countries in Africa, across the world for someone to have an opportunity to play for his country instead of deciding to keep his head down and work harder, take the easy path out.

I think the players needs to start showing more respect to the fans.
oloye wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:I don't think it is right for fans to engage in innuendos regarding the reasons why Emenike stepped away. If he wants he can sit with any journalist of his like and completely explain the reason(s) behind his resignation instead of leaving all these conjures and half tales. Until then let us just thank him for his contribution to national service and wish him well in the future. I hope he will rebuild his career and move out of the backward league. MLS would have even been a better league career option.
The problem here is that you assume these guys know this,the problem here is that you do not understand the pressure under which guys try to play for Nigeria. All it takes to get a glimpse of that is to put yourself in his shoes sit back and take in some of what is being said about him,you will begin to appreciate...the fear. Note i used the word fear...it is real,because i have been in that camp. Unless you are desperate and need the team to suceed as was the case in the past,to be honest you have a peace of mind not wearing that gwg, not from the sense of unpatriotism but rather from the sense of wanting your peace of mind. Do you know that as a player sometimes you dread opening the oages of the newspapers for fear of what you will read about yourself? This pressure just builds over time and without good counsel most players implode.

I have participated in the beating up of a couple of fans who were fond of always harrassing us ,week in week out this particular guy would pick a player to lampoon with his foul tirade, for several weeks he was ignored ,he got bolder and one day he crossed into the field after a match ,this time to harass the coach,we hunted him down,he waa almost escaping but unfortunately for him he had to get past me, i slide tackled him,one of the best tackles i ever made . By the time we finished with him,it was the last we heard of him. The pressure is real and people deal with it in many ways, friends ,family immediate and extended come under presure because of you. I am not supporting his action, but one must recognise that just as this decision seeems rash,he must have his reasons which at best we must try to understand even if it makes no sense.

Not everyone has a thick skin, not everyone is immuned to harsh criticism..some are fragile and yes sometimes they needed to be wrapped in a cotton...because in reality it is about managing their talent.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I just heard the interview Oliseh granted Brila FM and it was quite revealing. Emenike didn't inform the coach nor NFF before announcing his retirement. Furthermore Oliseh said when he heard of it he called Emenike twice but he couldn't reach him. Emenike has yet to return that call.

Oliseh revealed that he has not being feeling well, being concentrating on CHAN qualifier and has not had a chance to think of whom to invite for the next camp. He said he hasn't discussed with anyone the subject of who is to be invited and who is to be dropped.

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

oloye wrote:

At the end of the day it is still Emenike's problem if he can't handle the pressure or tell his story if he was bullied, after all he has nothing to lose at this point. I have no problem with this thread but how on earth are we going to get the answers other than fuel rumours, exaggerations and speculations and enjoy juicy stories of Oloye's thuggery 30 years ago? :D

*I am a strong advocate of not blaming the victim, but the victim must tell his/her story. Shikena!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

We have to move on. Who will be Ighalo's understudy? Isaac Success or Taiwo Awoniyi?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

YemiBrazil wrote:
oloye wrote:

At the end of the day it is still Emenike's problem if he can't handle the pressure or tell his story if he was bullied, after all he has nothing to lose at this point. I have no problem with this thread but how on earth are we going to get the answers other than fuel rumours, exaggerations and speculations and enjoy juicy stories of Oloye's thuggery 30 years ago? :D

*I am a strong advocate of not blaming the victim, but the victim must tell his/her story. Shikena!
He probably came on this site read the insults, went of facebook read the insults and decided to quit before a greater harm is done. I will call him a coward..yes, but we must learn to understand nevertheless, his uniqueness and the manner which he has chosen to handle his situation whether we agree with it or not. His heroics display against CIV in 2013 is all he needs to get my empathy. Anyone who can destroy the CIV the way he did, gets a free pass from me any day. :thumbs: The more i read comments on this page , the more i understand the way NFF is run, the more i understand how sports is run generally in my country. I find it alarming that i have heard such comments from so called sports administrators. :scared:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

In this case i don't think it is fair on Oliseh the way Emenike has gone about his retirement, more the reason why i feel like Enugu11 that his case needs to be reviewed to really find out what pushed his in this direction. If i were Oliseh i would take time out to talk to him, not to beg him, but rather to help him to know the frame of mind of the players in camp.....except well may be there is actually a plan to weed them out as being suggested by some.