Cameroon's defence is very vulnerable to the long ball

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

YUJAM wrote:Ayo:
I saw all three games today! :lol:

Algeria did not create much, and I really do not think that Song and Mettomo were outpaced!
If you did not notice Mettomo and Song looking vulnerable on through balls, did you really understand what you were waytching my dear friend? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

I hope you guys are not writing-Off the Camerounian.

The Question is--Can Nigeria give it all like the Algerians. Thier fighting

Spirit was Unquestionable.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

GUEST wrote:I hope you guys are not writing-Off the Camerounian.

The Question is--Can Nigeria give it all like the Algerians. Thier fighting

Spirit was Unquestionable.
You can never write Cameroon off. However, I just cannot see them coping with two quick strikers without making major changes.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Ayo, I think you're a bit harsh on your assessment. For starters, Karlos is one of the top 2 goalies in Africa... His timming on crosses were clinical. The goal that ALgeria scored was a deadly finish that no goalie in the world would stop unless luck was on their side... that WICKED shot was from about 7yards away in traffic which further made it tough to save... I agree with your assessment on the lion's defenders... Song's best days are behind him although he's still useful and a good inspirational leader... mettomo is not a right back in any one's book and will be exposed if changes aren't made sooner than later... then you have the case of Eto who has great skills on the ball but CANNOT finish a damn football to save his life. I don't know whether he was trying to prove to us why he's been voted african player of the year or what (yeah, we know he's won it already)... but he was showing off a bit too much and was pathetic in finishing on at least 3 or more occassions... Geremi is the engine of the lions... without him hustling and crossing nice long passes to the likes of Mboma & Eto, cameroon will be stuck on gear 1.... finally, thank your stars that Mboma is in this ANC cause he's still cameroon's most dangerous scoring threat by a mile... that lanky german based stiff, Idrissou, is totally useless if scoring is part of his duties... yes he hustles for you but a striker he is not... Having said that, Cameroon is still a very dangerous team and was very unlucky not to win... here's the hard part: Cameroon as of late does not seem to play well under pressure... it's almost as if the ghosts of WC'02 are still in your locker room... when things tighten up and great expectations are on the lions to perform, they tend to disappoint... GHana'00 was different b/c Cameroon was not THE favorite to win then just like Nigeria is not THE favorite to win this trophy...
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

G4L:
Idrissou was not a striker. He plays on the left flank just like he did in the Confed Cup. Mettomo partnered Song in central defense.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Ayo i agree with you 100%. Cameroun have serious defensive problems! It will be exposed in due course.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

What was shocking watching this match was the PANIC MODE CAMEROUN WAS UNDER AFTER ALGERIA SCORED. Can you imagine if they were BEHIND IN THIS MATCH.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

If U guys had watched Ghana in 98 against Tunisia.U would have handed the trophy to them after that match.Tunisia(WC bound team) was outclassed by the black stars and didnt do much,At the end of everything that last display was Ghana's best and they went home after round 1.Day 1 peforemace is a wrong way to judge any team.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg

Post by HAWKEYE »

Watched the match at the Eritrean owned Empire Restuarant on Bloor St Toronto for free with a plethora of Africans from North to Southern Africa. Everybody agreed Cameroon left side was weak and I was'nt surprised Tchato and "Basket Ball Player" - the name those of us watching gave Idrissou - were subbed. Also, the Algerians controlled the central midfield - Djemba was too short and all the lobs flew over him for Song and Mettimo to chase. Cameroon unfortunately has opened their under belly to all as aptly described by Ayo and others above, and I bet Egypt will play to win 'cos they have a better goal poacher in Hossam.
I 'm sure the Cameroon squad misses JOB now.
CAPTAIN HAWKINS
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I think the main problem from watching the match was that Cameroon have lost their midfield enforcer. Foe covered his back four with such brilliance that their limitations were often overlooked, but today Mbami was missing and misplacing a lot of passes.

Algeria did the right thing by floating in long balls to the left of the Cameroonian defence once they realised that was where the main weakness was.

I expect Cameroon to improve, but I think they miss Foe too much and if they get out of this group, I dont think they will go far beyond that.
To stop trying is to start dying
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

I was not surprised at the Cameroonian performance and found nothing wrong with their defence.

Their problem has a lot to do with their attack which always scores few goals. Cameroon hardly score more than 2 goals in a match as they play a lot of players deep in the defence and midfield with lone maurauding strikers(Eto).

I have a feeling that they could be knocked out in the early round due to this flaw as most of the games they will play will be draws.

They created more chances than Algeria but could not convert their chances. This is where Nigeria is superior as we are better creators and clinical finishers.

Nigeria scores a lot but are fragile in the defence.
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Having watched the highlights of the DR Congo vs Guinea and the Egypt vs Zimbabwe games too, I must say that so far, Cameroon is still the best team we have seen so far.

After tomorrow and Tuesday when we have seen Mali, Senegal and Nigeria play, we will be better equipped to comment on how the tournament will progress. I must say, however, that I cannot see Cameroon failing to take six points off Egypt and Zimbabwe at the moment.

I still think Cameroon will top that group but after that, it gets more complicated.
Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

Ayo:

Relax. You are exaggerating. Surely I don't see where Schaffer needs to make any drastic changes.

I am still shaking my head over your statements that Algeria exposed our defense of the long ball. Man. I guess we saw different games.

Algeria converted the only decent chance they got, with the help of a poor clearance from our defense. I agree that the tandem Song-Mettomo have some work to do, and Tchato had a bad game. Idrissou was a winger and did his Job. He set up Eto'o twice but the latter could not finish. In all, the story of the game was Eto'o's poor finishing. Period.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I thought the IL showcased a thoroughly professional and assured performance, save for the finishing and were well deserving of their favorites tag. But some of the familiar weakneses remain, and a few new ones have popped up. But then, this is only the first game.....
1. First, I was suprised by the ability of the Algerians to match up physically with the Cameroonians...
2. The defence like I said in the past, still shows discomfort with the technical balls. Suprisingly, the CD pair did not dominate as expected aerially.
3. Bill Tchato I insist is the weak link in defence. As for Song, he played exactly as I expected- he never was a good player IMO, just a highly motivated and committed one.
4. The crafty Rabah Sadaane is back and Algeria are growing again. While their pressing in midfield in the first half was effective in countering Mbami and Geremi, they lacked an experienced instigator to hold up play long enough for the attack to fully develop.
5. On the strength of Egypt's performance against Zimbabwe, I expect Cameroon to beat them flat and go on to top the group.
6. I think Eto'o will get it right, sooner or later.... similar stuff has happened to some of the very best.
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

Mbape wrote:Ayo:

Relax. You are exaggerating. Surely I don't see where Schaffer needs to make any drastic changes.

I am still shaking my head over your statements that Algeria exposed our defense of the long ball. Man. I guess we saw different games.

Algeria converted the only decent chance they got, with the help of a poor clearance from our defense. I agree that the tandem Song-Mettomo have some work to do, and Tchato had a bad game. Idrissou was a winger and did his Job. He set up Eto'o twice but the latter could not finish. In all, the story of the game was Eto'o's poor finishing. Period.
Your defence did not clear the ball. The cross swept over them and landed at the feet of the unmarked attacker. You can say poor marking but not poor clearance. All the player that jumped for the ball missed it.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mbape, maybe indeed we did watch different games. The Song/Mettomo partnership was the weakest link in Cameroon's play today. Had Algerian had a good long ball passer like Seyi Olofinjana in their team and a pacy striker like Julius Aghahowa, they would have beaten the Lions easily.
Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

txj wrote:I thought the IL showcased a thoroughly professional and assured performance, save for the finishing and were well deserving of their favorites tag. But some of the familiar weakneses remain, and a few new ones have popped up. But then, this is only the first game.....
1. First, I was suprised by the ability of the Algerians to match up physically with the Cameroonians...
2. The defence like I said in the past, still shows discomfort with the technical balls. Suprisingly, the CD pair did not dominate as expected aerially.
3. Bill Tchato I insist is the weak link in defence. As for Song, he played exactly as I expected- he never was a good player IMO, just a highly motivated and committed one.
4. The crafty Rabah Sadaane is back and Algeria are growing again. While their pressing in midfield in the first half was effective in countering Mbami and Geremi, they lacked an experienced instigator to hold up play long enough for the attack to fully develop.
5. On the strength of Egypt's performance against Zimbabwe, I expect Cameroon to beat them flat and go on to top the group.
6. I think Eto'o will get it right, sooner or later.... similar stuff has happened to some of the very best.
Txj:

Your assessment is certainly correct on the matter of today's performance. Tchato did not have much to say for himself today, but I still disagree with you about him. It is not on the strength of one game that we are to judge a player. Song-Mettomo are still work in progress as far as forging a central defense partnership.

Lets not forget that Cameroon has never started a tournament on a tear. We'll probably beat the next two opponents and still not be in peak form. We are a seasoned tournament team.

I expect Egypt to also be better than they showed against Zimbabwe. If not of an atrocious finish from a Zim player late in that game, they too would have been forced to settle for a tie.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The way you guys comment on football one would think that Nigerian players are God's gift to the game.

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Mbape, maybe indeed we did watch different games. The Song/Mettomo partnership was the weakest link in Cameroon's play today. Had Algerian had a good long ball passer like Seyi Olofinjana in their team and a pacy striker like Julius Aghahowa, they would have beaten the Lions easily.
confuscius
Egg
Egg

Post by confuscius »

I don't know what game Ayo and some other folk here watched, but it certainly wasn't the same game I saw. I'm amazed at Ayo's comments regarding Kanemi, which is totally opposite to positions he has taken in the past; such as extolling the value of fecafoot placing him in European clubs, his "great" perfomance at the confederation cup......

Cameroon did have some problems, notably Mbami and Djemba not being particularly effective in midfield and idrissou being non-productive down the left flank. The cameroonian defence looked comfortable for the most part and Eto'o did lose quite a few opportunities. However, inspite of this the Algerians failed to take advantage and were particularly lightweight in attack, but very resolute in defending. I suspect the Algerians will feel very lucky to have got away with a draw today!
It is my fantasy to fata si, je n'bu obe si, je n'wobe
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

MBAPE
You will agree that my views on Tchato predate this game and the ANC. He is simply not a good player. IMO, people tend to confuse his committment and professionalism with his true abilities. Ditto for Song.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

txj wrote:The way you guys comment on football one would think that Nigerian players are God's gift to the game.

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Mbape, maybe indeed we did watch different games. The Song/Mettomo partnership was the weakest link in Cameroon's play today. Had Algerian had a good long ball passer like Seyi Olofinjana in their team and a pacy striker like Julius Aghahowa, they would have beaten the Lions easily.
If you want, I can change that to Salif Diao and Henry Camara.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

AYO
Don't get me wrong, I understand the point you are trying to make. It's just that it does get a little tiring reading so many write the report of the SE-Morocco game before it is played!
I repeat, Nigeria may well be the most overrated of the big teams at the ANC!

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
txj wrote:The way you guys comment on football one would think that Nigerian players are God's gift to the game.

If you want, I can change that to Salif Diao and Henry Camara.
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

The difference with this Cameroon team mainly lies in the fact that their approach was offense first and defense second. Quite the opposite from what I have seen in the past.
I don't think anybody can really advocate for Mboma to be dropped after the solid performance he put in today. He wasn't outstanding but he still clearly belonged in the starting 11.
If Etoo had been so wasteful with the chances he created for himself, this discussion will be different.
The major changes I recommend are to bench Idrissou, and have Geremi and the left side midfielder play with a more defensive mentality to cover up some of the gaps that where exposed.