Cameroon's defence is very vulnerable to the long ball

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

MYMIND wrote:
Mbape wrote:Ayo:

Relax. You are exaggerating. Surely I don't see where Schaffer needs to make any drastic changes.

I am still shaking my head over your statements that Algeria exposed our defense of the long ball. Man. I guess we saw different games.

Algeria converted the only decent chance they got, with the help of a poor clearance from our defense. I agree that the tandem Song-Mettomo have some work to do, and Tchato had a bad game. Idrissou was a winger and did his Job. He set up Eto'o twice but the latter could not finish. In all, the story of the game was Eto'o's poor finishing. Period.
Your defence did not clear the ball. The cross swept over them and landed at the feet of the unmarked attacker. You can say poor marking but not poor clearance. All the player that jumped for the ball missed it.
I've watched the game twice already, and several replays of the goal. The ball was headed out by a defender. But read the BBC report of the game if you don't believe me.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

I've watched the game twice already, and several replays of the goal. The ball was headed out by a defender. But read the BBC report of the game if you don't believe me.
I'm watching that goal right now, the defender did get a head on the ball
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

Mbape, I concur. Better finishing from Etoo would have changed the discussion we are now having.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Ayo,am I missing something,or are you criticizing Kameni,your much-hallowed "best" African keeper?
Despitre what might seem a set-back,I believe the indomitable Lions will come roaring back in the next match,and yes,there will be personnel changes.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

Some people are sensible here. Some are just naive. Cameroon played well but failed to score. Until they are out of the tournament, all of this is noise. A player can have a bad day. Etoo who has scored 8 goals in 16 games in the liga cannot be a wastepipe. He will miss many, but he will score sooner or later, and will certainly create enough distraction in the defense for some other player to benefit.

I am waiting till the 3rd February to draw my conclusions, even if by then Ayo has 100 points to fix the "Cameroon problem".

Our name is not written on the cup, so others are allowed to win. We have to know that.
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mlkama, obviously, you did not see the following:

(1) Mettomo's backpasses that got the team in trouble
(2) Kameni almost gifting the Algerians a goal by not judging the flight of the ball correctly
(3) Song handling the ball in the box and giving away a penalty that was not awarded
(4) Song and Mettomo being overran whenever thye ball was played long
(5) Djemba-Djemba and Mbami being unable to drive the team forward in central midfield
(6) Idrissou being unable to pass to save his life
(7) Tchato mis-timing his tackles
(8) The fact that Cameroon picked up three yellow cards in this game
(9) Nothing happening oin midfierld unless Eto'o droped off or Geremi was the one in possession
(10) Song and Mettomo having to boot the ball to nowhere after being put in trouble by poor Djemba-Djemba passing which gifted the Algerians the ball.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo:
7 yelllow cards?
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

YUJAM wrote:Ayo:
7 yelllow cards?
Sorry, I meant three. It was a typo.
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Mbape, maybe indeed we did watch different games. The Song/Mettomo partnership was the weakest link in Cameroon's play today. Had Algerian had a good long ball passer like Seyi Olofinjana in their team and a pacy striker like Julius Aghahowa, they would have beaten the Lions easily.
Ayo
how good at long ball-passing is olofinjana really... based on what evidence do you make such assertation. :?: Is he as good as oliseh for instance? And how good is his tackling and ball winning ability?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Mbami and Djemba Djemba are much better than Olofinjana!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

old_obsession wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Mbape, maybe indeed we did watch different games. The Song/Mettomo partnership was the weakest link in Cameroon's play today. Had Algerian had a good long ball passer like Seyi Olofinjana in their team and a pacy striker like Julius Aghahowa, they would have beaten the Lions easily.
Ayo
how good at long ball-passing is olofinjana really... based on what evidence do you make such assertation. :?: Is he as good as oliseh for instance? And how good is his tackling and ball winning ability?
Be patient, you shall see it all tomorrow. At the moment, I am yet to see anyone in the tournament who can pass the ball as well as Seyi Olofinjana.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Yeah right! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be patient, you shall see it all tomorrow. At the moment, I am yet to see anyone in the tournament who can pass the ball as well as Seyi Olofinjana.
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

basically, the long and short of this is that the IL did not take their chances. if Etoo had done what he'd to do in the first half, we wont be having this discussion.

i dont think the Camerounian defence was that bad i.e overall and the first half was dominated by them. when Algeria scored was when the game turned. Algeria showed more purpose and resilience.

i give kudos to Algeria cos they didn't let themselves be overrun by the Lions. they seem mot to care bout the predigre of the Lions and they matched them man for man.

Well Cameroun, i believe will come back better in the second match. at least now, a lot of the arrogance showed against Algeria has vanished.

What was with Algeria's celebration. u would think they'd won the cup. i.e they were in such awe of the lions (though i'm glad they displayed that after the match and not during0
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Ayo
here you go, Song and Mettomo struggling for pace, maybe i was watching another game, because on Eurosports the cynical commentators could not help but commend Song. Camroons problem was in the midfield, like someone RIP Foe , the guy's calming influence was missed badly, on a pitch that was very bad, they needed to calm things down , but what we got from Mbami (who was very bad) and Djemba were some gra gra football which helped no one. Did Mbami make a correct pass yesterday, i am sure i did not see him do one. The camerron we know have always been assured when it comes to moving the ball up.
As for Etoo mmm the same thing he did that robbed Camerron from going further in the last WC is being repeated here again, fine footballer, great pace, full of running but the vital element needed as a striker putting the ball in the net is missing. Only Etto can explain how he missed those sitters, that is the problem.
All of a sudden we think Algeria did something extra ordinary, for God's sake this team has been one of African's best team for ages, we use to develop goose pimples when their name is mentioned, bad fortune has made them look like a minnow in African football. They have never been lacking in talents, if they hold Camerron i am not suprised perhaps the desert Warriors are beginning to realise the meaning of that name.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

YUJAM wrote:Mbami and Djemba Djemba are much better than Olofinjana!
haba is your name ayo? And did i ask for a comparison with cameroonian players? You are becoming a little childish & silly Yujam. If you had a foul mouth, it would be impossible to distinguish you from Omey2k.
Last edited by old_obsession on Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Fegwu:
You stop being silly. Have I ever responded to one of your posts?

I was responding to Ayo and not you. Thank you very much!
haba is your name ayo? And did i ask for a comparison with cameroonian players? You are becoming a little childishly silly Yujam. If you had a foul mouth, it would be impossible to distinguish you from Omey2k.
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

YUJAM wrote:Fegwu:
You stop being silly. Have I ever responded to one of your posts?

I was responding to Ayo and not you. Thank you very much!
haba is your name ayo? And did i ask for a comparison with cameroonian players? You are becoming a little childishly silly Yujam. If you had a foul mouth, it would be impossible to distinguish you from Omey2k.

all i am saying is grow up.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Fegwu:
You are a clown. No wonder your moderator position was rescinded.

And all I am saying is stop looking for issues where they are none! In other words, stop going out of your way to find my trbl!

all i am saying is grow up.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If Seyi is worse than those two comedians who we saw galloping around the centre of the pitch like disabled donkeys yesterday, I for one would have long advised him to return to his village and concentrate on selling yams. Between the two of them, did they complete one accurate pass all afternoon?

Yujam, please do not insult my friend. Do you think that if Seyi was that bad I would be this friendly with him.?
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

[/quote]

What on earth are you going on about moderator positions? Are you demented ? I am going to stop responding to you from now on. Kindly do the same.
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
If Seyi is worse than those two comedians who we saw galloping around the centre of the pitch like disabled donkeys yesterday, I for one would have long advised him to return to his village and concentrate on selling yams. Between the two of them, did they complete one accurate pass all afternoon?

Yujam, please do not insult my friend. Do you think that if Seyi was that bad I would be this friendly with him.?

So is it because seyi is your friend that you are hyping him up? Anyway as you said we'll see tomorrow. I expect him to start alongside okocha in the midfield although i suspect that he is actually an attacking midfielder as well.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I never did respond to any of your posts anyway without you finding my trbl. I was not responding to u in the first place!

You'd better be sure that if you come at me with that nonsense, you will be blasted further.
old_obsession wrote:
What on earth are you going on about moderator positions? Are you demented ? I am going to stop responding to you from now on. Kindly do the same.[/quote]
Last edited by YUJAM on Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

old_obsession wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

So is it because seyi is your friend that you are hyping him up? Anyway as you said we'll see tomorrow. I expect him to start alongside okocha in the midfield although i suspect that he is actually an attacking midfielder as well.
You don fight Yujam finish you wan come fain me trouble too. :lol:

Friend or no friend, Seyi is streets above those two comical characters we saw in Cameroon's central midfield yesterday. I have a lot of friends in the Eagles camp and I do not hype all of them up.