Cameroon's defence is very vulnerable to the long ball

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Cameroon's defence is very vulnerable to the long ball

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I have just finished watching the Cameroon vs Algeria game and must say that this is one of the weakest Indomitable Lions' defences I have ever seen. Physically they are very strong but they get into all sorts of problems when the long ball is played over the top.

Mettomo and Song do not have the pace top match quick strikers and they always panicked when put under pressure. Personally, I blame the change of formation forced on Schaffer with the inclusion of Mboma in the team.

At the Confederations Cup, Cameroon played 4-5-1, sitting deep and not giving any space between the defence and the midfield. Now, however, they have reverted to 4-4-2 and when they push upfield, there are gaping holes at the back.

Song no longer has the pace to cope with quick counter attacks and Mettomo in my opinion, is sub-standard. Given that Ndoube and Tchato are also not in the class of the likes of Tawtaw and Wome, Cameroon has a very dodgy back four.

In midfield too, the penetration is not there. Neither Mbami nor Djemba-Djemba have the attacking capability to pose any threat, so they just sat back and left the attacking to Geremi and Iddrissou. I must say Geremi's crosses were sopmething out of this world. The man is a real deliverer of the dead ball. Idrissou, however, does not have that kind of quality and is more of a workhorse similar toi Garba Lawal.

Upfront, however, the Lions remain an awesome threat. Samuel Eto'o and Patrick Mboma remain one of the most potent strike forces you will ever see. The ease with which Eto'o coasts past opponents is a delight to watch.

In goal, Kameni's inexperience showed again. I have repeatedly said that he is overhyped and been pilloried for it. I repeat, Greg Etafia would have put in a better performance than that today.

Given the inexperience of the goalkeeper and the lack of pace at the back, I really cannot see Cameroon handling teams with quick strikers like Camara, Kamara, Diouf, Aghahowa, Utaka and Aiyegbeni. Upfront, Eto'o and Mboma will score goals from Geremi crosses and Eto's nifty footwork but they will also concede at the back.

The Indomitable Lions cannot win this Africanm Cup of Nations!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

well the Guy who carries the team is late thats why they struggled
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Ayo, I still believe they can go all the way.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
bigtruth
Egg
Egg

Post by bigtruth »

I think they will get stronger and correct their mistakes as the tourney progress, they have a coach that can make that happen.
It Is Well.

hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

SPOT ON, I THINK THE CENTRAL MIDFIELD PAIRING WAS NOT PARTICULARLY ENTERPRISING
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Changes Schaffer can make to save the day include:

(1) Bringing the quicker Tchato into central defence to partner Song
(2) Playing Atouba as a left back
(3) Playing either Ngom Kome or Olembe in place of Idrissou
(4) Dropping Mboma and reverting back to 4-5-1
(5) Playing Idrissou as a support striker behind Eto'o
(6) Reverting to 3-5-2 with a back three of Song, Tchato and Mettomo
(7) Playing Olembe as a playmaker
(8) Asking the team to defend a lot deeper
(9) Dropping either Mbami or Djemba-Djemba for a better passer of the ball like Olembe
(10) Accepting that Cameroon will never be another Nigeria and reverting to the tradition Lions conservative approach of loking to win by the odd goal on the counter attack.

He must do something!
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg
Re: Cameroon's defence is very vulnerable to the long ball

Post by Kneedeep »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I have just finished watching the Cameroon vs Algeria game and must say that this is one of the weakest Indomitable Lions' defences I have ever seen. Physically they are very strong but they get into all sorts of problems when the long ball is played over the top.

Mettomo and Song do not have the pace top match quick strikers and they always panicked when put under pressure. Personally, I blame the change of formation forced on Schaffer with the inclusion of Mboma in the team.
At the Confederations Cup, Cameroon played 4-5-1, sitting deep and not giving any space between the defence and the midfield. Now, however, they have reverted to 4-4-2 and when they push upfield, there are gaping holes at the back.

Song no longer has the pace to cope with quick counter attacks and Mettomo in my opinion, is sub-standard. Given that Ndoube and Tchato are also not in the class of the likes of Tawtaw and Wome, Cameroon has a very dodgy back four.

In midfield too, the penetration is not there. Neither Mbami nor Djemba-Djemba have the attacking capability to pose any threat, so they just sat back and left the attacking to Geremi and Iddrissou. I must say Geremi's crosses were sopmething out of this world. The man is a real deliverer of the dead ball. Idrissou, however, does not have that kind of quality and is more of a workhorse similar toi Garba Lawal.

Upfront, however, the Lions remain an awesome threat. Samuel Eto'o and Patrick Mboma remain one of the most potent strike forces you will ever see. The ease with which Eto'o coasts past opponents is a delight to watch.

In goal, Kameni's inexperience showed again. I have repeatedly said that he is overhyped and been pilloried for it. I repeat, Greg Etafia would have put in a better performance than that today.

Given the inexperience of the goalkeeper and the lack of pace at the back, I really cannot see Cameroon handling teams with quick strikers like Camara, Kamara, Diouf, Aghahowa, Utaka and Aiyegbeni. Upfront, Eto'o and Mboma will score goals from Geremi crosses and Eto's nifty footwork but they will also concede at the back.

The Indomitable Lions cannot win this Africanm Cup of Nations!
Ayo you are one of the people that have not let us hear word for the last four years, everyday we were told about their preparations, how they have a special team washerman, how Planti and Ekpankoko is specially prepared for them every morning,
and now this; maybe it is your hype that has made this very efficient but low scoring team seem like the supermen you now say they are not.

Please will you leave the topic of Mboma to speculation, instead to making up reasons why the 3-5-2 has been dropped. We know he was forced in the squad, there is no indication however he was forced on Schaeffer as a starter. I say this using the precedent of the imposed inclusion of Roger Milla in the 1990 and 1994 WC as a sub. You can only pick a squad from the available players you country has.

Despite your usual politics(3-5-2 and oyinbo coach), this is one of the most concise analysis you have done in a while, good Job!
Last edited by Kneedeep on Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Ayo, you are unnecessarilly hard on them. This team is just beginning to get into it's own plus they are now the team to beat. No longer is any team under-rating them as everyone will be contended to steal a point off them. That's why Algeria celebrated after the match as if they had won the tournament.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Its a Goal wrote:Ayo, you are unnecessarilly hard on them. This team is just beginning to get into it's own plus they are now the team to beat. No longer is any team under-rating them as everyone will be contended to steal a point off them. That's why Algeria celebrated after the match as if they had won the tournament.
I was looking for flaws. They were woeful with the long ball. I can tell you now, that had Algeria had an excellent passer of the long ball like Seyi Olofinjana in their team, with a quick lethal striker such as Aghahowa, they would have beaten Cameroon hands down.

This is not about blame, it is about the fact that the formation used did not suit the available players. I bet you Schaffer will alter things big time come the next match.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

(10) Accepting that Cameroon will never be another Nigeria and reverting to the tradition Lions conservative approach of loking to win by the odd goal on the counter attack.
So true. I saw Cameroun trying to do a Nigerian on the Algerians :mrgreen:. Mboma dribbling himself into a corner, Eto'o doing some fancy footwork instead of shooting. It was pathetic :lol:.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Its a Goal wrote:
So true. I saw Cameroun trying to do a Nigerian on the Algerians :mrgreen:. Mboma dribbling himself into a corner, Eto'o doing some fancy footwork instead of shooting. It was pathetic :lol:.
Be guaranteed, we will not see Cameroon play like this again in the tournament. I can see quite a few changes being made before the next game.
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

cameroon's strikers will giive any defence in this tournament hell. But they stink and eTOO is a wastepipe
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Sir V wrote:Ayo, I still believe they can go all the way.
I suppose Schaffer will now know that he has to make drastic changes to his defence. I cannot imagine he will allow the team to remain that slow at the back.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

I still say Cameroun, in spite of today's result, is the best team we have seen so far.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

egypt is better
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Naija fan wrote:I still say Cameroun, in spite of today's result, is the best team we have seen so far.
Very true. Let us see Mali, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco and Burkina Faso before we start making predictions about who will get to the next round.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo:
There is nothing wrong with their defense. Algeria hardly created a chance and all the aerial balls were won by the Cameroon defense.

The problem was the wastefulness of Etoo. At this level of of football, if you do not take your chances, you will pay!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Sir V wrote:Ayo, I still believe they can go all the way.
I suppose Schaffer will now know that he has to make drastic changes to his defence. I cannot imagine he will allow the team to remain that slow at the back.
Ayo, he ain't going to change, he will probably justify the performance with a platera of excuses i.e., if we scored our chances blah blah blah, it was the first game... etc...

The point is that Cameroon should understand that they are a hippopotamus and should play and act as such... anytime they try something different they are left exposed...

Ps. I am disappointed that they did not get a single Red card... I was hoping for one or two...

Pps, I am still amazed that Song is still playing football... bobo is atrocious...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

YUJAM wrote:Ayo:
There is nothing wrong with their defense. Algeria hardly created a chance and all the aerial balls were won by the Cameroon defense.

The problem was the wastefulness of Etoo. At this level of of football, if you do not take your chances, you will pay!
I can only assume that the usual bad veiwing FSW provides you guys with did not show the long passes the Algerians made. Everytime they tried it, this created panic in the heart of the Cameroonian defence because neither of the centrebacks had the pace to get on the end of things.

All the Alkgerians needed was a quick striker who could outsprint the defenders. You also talk about headers being won Yujam?????

Hey, did you seee the Algerian goal at all?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo:
I saw all three games today! :lol:

Algeria did not create much, and I really do not think that Song and Mettomo were outpaced!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

YUJAM wrote:Ayo:
I saw all three games today! :lol:

Algeria did not create much, and I really do not think that Song and Mettomo were outpaced!
Agreed. Algeria only had one shot on goal and that's the one they scored. At this level, that's pretty bad. The Camerounian defense was not as bad as Ayo is suggesting. They lost this game because they did not convert their chances.
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

etoo is a joke. I've said it time and time again I dunno if any body'sever listening. Take away geremi and cameroon's got nothing
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

so__so_scandalous wrote:egypt is better
Cameroun will take their frustration out on Egypt. I predict a 3-1 score in favor of Cameroun.