Etebo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Etebo

Post by Sunset »

oloye wrote: Na naija man be that for you,instead of simply admitting he is wrong...he wohld get a bigger spade to dig deeper. Common sense says that 2 years ago he probably was still raw but Keshi saw the potentials.but probably not ready,aplty so and a possibility why he went under the radar..Being capped for u23 is not rocket science,may be that is his level for now. Makes me wonder just in case i am on another planet...what does it mean to discover a talent...is this a Mungo Park discovering river niger scenario? Naija man struggles to admit he is simply wrong. :D
Wrt Etebo, the only reason he seemed to go under the radar/not make the CHAN team has to do with him leaving the team to go on trials for Udinese, there was nothing Keshi could do at that point. And when he did come back after not getting the deal, took him a while to get his groove back, this is a dude that scored 16 Goals in his first NPFL season.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

oloye wrote: Na naija man be that for you,instead of simply admitting he is wrong...he wohld get a bigger spade to dig deeper. Common sense says that 2 years ago he probably was still raw but Keshi saw the potentials.but probably not ready,aplty so and a possibility why he went under the radar..Being capped for u23 is not rocket science,may be that is his level for now. Makes me wonder just in case i am on another planet...what does it mean to discover a talent...is this a Mungo Park discovering river niger scenario? Naija man struggles to admit he is simply wrong. :D
thanks for your contribution.
If you think about for a second, you will agree it is rare for a national team selector to discover a player in the way you are describing
I have already explained what I mean by "finding" a player in the context of the national team football
Maybe you missed it
or maybe you just wanted an excuse to tell your "funny" joke about mungo park :D :D
this is not the first time i have argued the difference between integrating a player and merely capping a player
I have no problem accepting i am wrong
but you have to present a counterargument first.
what you have written above is just a bunch of soundbites that makes no sense.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Sunset wrote: this is a dude that scored 16 Goals in his first NPFL season.
oga how is this relevant?
Gambo scored a bucket load of goals in the season he got his first cap under Keshi
What role does gambo play in the national team today?
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

smartbrother wrote:
Gambo scored a bucket load of goals in the season he got his first cap under Keshi
Gambo? Ok o!

Ahmed Musa scored 18 goals in his second NPFL season & he's the only Nigerian player in our history to ever get a brace in the World Cup.....
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Sunset wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
Gambo? Ok o!

Ahmed Musa scored 18 goals in his second NPFL season & he's the only Nigerian player in our history to ever get a brace in the World Cup.....
:huh:
I have a feeling this will fly over your head as well but here goes:
Even though -as you pointed out - Etebo scored 16 goals in his first season , it took vision on Siasia's part to integrate him into the Dream Team, figure out how to get the best out of him & develop him into the national star he has become.
Look at Ighalo.
We all know he is world class but we are yet to see him do it under Oliseh in GWG.
For a national team coach, "finding" players goes beyond giving them their first cap and discarding them the way keshi did countless players including Gambo and indeed Etebo.
Anyone can hand a player their first cap.
I honestly have no idea what Musa has to do with anything
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

smartbrother wrote:
Sunset wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
Gambo? Ok o!

:huh:
I have a feeling this will fly over your head as well but here goes:
Even though -as you pointed out - Etebo scored 16 goals in his first season , it took vision on Siasia's part to integrate him into the Dream Team, figure out how to get the best out of him & develop him into the national star he has become.
Look at Ighalo.
We all know he is world class but we are yet to see him do it under Oliseh in GWG.
For a national team coach, "finding" players goes beyond giving them their first cap and discarding them the way keshi did countless players including Gambo and indeed Etebo.
Anyone can hand a player their first cap.
I honestly have no idea what Musa has to do with anything
:???:

If only you took your time to understand my initial post (to oloye), maybe you'll understand my point. My post has nothing to do with that your nonsense argument about who discovered what player and whatever, because honestly I could care less.... My post is on Etebo the player :roll:
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

smartbrother wrote:
Fact is without Siasia Etebo would not be the player we are all so excited about today
You can say the same for Mikel, Obasi, Nsofor,Taiwo, Apam, Olubayo (RIP), Oduduwa, Ajayi and so many others
Contrast that list of players with those Keshi discovered and tried to integrate such as Mba, Babatunde, Uzoenyi, Uchebo and Gabriel Reuben

We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

metalalloy wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
Fact is without Siasia Etebo would not be the player we are all so excited about today
You can say the same for Mikel, Obasi, Nsofor,Taiwo, Apam, Olubayo (RIP), Oduduwa, Ajayi and so many others
Contrast that list of players with those Keshi discovered and tried to integrate such as Mba, Babatunde, Uzoenyi, Uchebo and Gabriel Reuben

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:The thing is that many here do not exactly agree on what the word "discovering a player" means. Does it mean the first coach to invite a player to NT or the first coach to debut a player at NT level. Which one is it? For instance, can we state that Siasia discover Awoniyi? If not, did Siasia discover Mikel Obi? Did Keshi discover Onazi? Did Keshi discover Emenike or was it Siasia that discovered him?
Bro, the only reason anyone would think of Etebo as a recent "find" is because they only follow Nigerian football by occasionally stumbling into CE... :lol:

Etebo played at least 2 senior games under Keshi (against Jordan and CIV - perhaps more during the CHAN qualifiers), was a member of the CHAN camp and played several of those 'friendlies' (against local opposition) during the camping period. As Sunset duly pointed out, the sole reported reason that he was not at the CHAN under Keshi was because he left the team, with Keshi's permission, to attend trials abroad (of course if he had succeeded and signed at that time, the tired Keshi "agent" drivel would have been regurgitated). Even after the CHAN team had been selected, Etebo was placed on the team's standby list (presumably in case of injury). Accordingly, any notion of Etebo as a new "find" merely succintly illustrates the different 'levels' that exist when discussing Nigerian football. Integrate ko, dis-integrate ni!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

aruako1 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

Forget about discovery or been capped 2 years ago by Keshi...................Etebo is going to be a good inclusion if he can maintain the same ANC U-23 hunger.
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

smartbrother wrote:
ikemba wrote:
Gotti wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
airwolex wrote:This guy reminds me a bit of Oruma. Stocky, strong, lightning quick and good technique striking the ball. The most impressive thing about him though is the way he can take over games...very exciting prospect.
someone else said Amokachi but i think you re spot on with this comparison
he has Oruma's directness and knack for goals
but he doesn't have Amo's deft flick-ons or vision in/around the 18 yard box
if he can add assists to his artillery he will turn out to be something truly special
another fantastic find by siasia
The same Etebo who made his senior debut two years ago or another one?! :blink:

Image[/
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
..and Gambo Mohammed. :lol:
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Gotti wrote:
Tbite wrote:In all fairness....Smartbrother has a point.

Keshi probably capped 2000 players in his tenure. I wouldn't exactly use Keshi caps, as a yardstick for anything.

bobo had no clear direction.
Ironic from the dude that posted the pic two years ago...
Thankfully, we did not have to suffer through another dissertation on it.
What are you on about? Your lot now have your heads firmly stuck up your derrieres.

The same Keshi, after all his accomplishments, who affirmed that he "Had no team".

Keshi capped more players than any Nigerian coach that I know of, I really think it is beyond foolish, to suggest that his 'caps' show any great insight into the trajectory of our pool.

Quality not Quantity. It is ironic, that you question my so called "dissertations", yet you are oblivious to this reality.

The question really is, "Who understands Etebo's role or potential", not who can cap every Tom, d#$% & Harry. The same Keshi that capped Etebo, capped Gambo.......
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tbite wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Keshi probably capped 2000 players in his tenure. I wouldn't exactly use Keshi caps, as a yardstick for anything.

What are you on about? Your lot now have your heads firmly stuck up your derrieres.

The same Keshi, after all his accomplishments, who affirmed that he "Had no team".

Keshi capped more players than any Nigerian coach that I know of, I really think it is beyond foolish, to suggest that his 'caps' show any great insight into the trajectory of our pool.

Quality not Quantity. It is ironic, that you question my so called "dissertations", yet you are oblivious to this reality.

The question really is, "Who understands Etebo's role or potential", not who can cap every Tom, d#$% & Harry. The same Keshi that capped Etebo, capped Gambo.......
Through all your rhetoric the fact still remains that if you want to give a NT coach credit for "discovering" Etebo, the praise should go to Keshi...whether he capped Gambo or not, he capped/discovered Etebo which was the original point...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

And my point being, that I am more interested in the coach(es) that will make good use of these players and determine their roles, than those who 'apparently', discovered every Tom, d#$% & Harry.

I am not sure if Oliseh is the right man, for the job to be honest, but one area where he will fare better than Keshi in, is that he has at the very least, established the need for focus.

As per Siasia, well he has always had the most 'superior' ability among all the local coaches, for getting the best out of attacking players.

So, which leaves three realities here. 1) Mr Quantity, just handing out caps to anybody with a pair of boots 2) Mr Focus and 3) Mr Potential.

I am not arguing with you on that reality...I am just saying, there is nothing particularly impressive about it. After seeing the mess than unfolded in various scenarios such as the confederation cup, I don't know how anybody can really argue theories here, without having see the 'action'. I watch the matches.....I saw the inefficiency and lack of direction.

This may qualify as a dissertation, no doubt...but then again I am not exactly on Gotti's payroll. :P
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Enugu II wrote:The thing is that many here do not exactly agree on what the word "discovering a player" means. Does it mean the first coach to invite a player to NT or the first coach to debut a player at NT level. Which one is it? For instance, can we state that Siasia discover Awoniyi? If not, did Siasia discover Mikel Obi? Did Keshi discover Onazi? Did Keshi discover Emenike or was it Siasia that discovered him?
:clap: Very good point
yes o
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Tbite wrote:
Gotti wrote:

And I can tell that your derriere has relocated to your head because when you open your mouth crap falls out... :lol:

Meanwhile, without needing a dissertation, the same Siasia capped Gift Atilewa, Chubbyuzor Okonkwo, Ugo "Stiffy" Ugah, Michel Odibe, ecectra, ecectra!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

rasak74 wrote:Forget about discovery or been capped 2 years ago by Keshi...................Etebo is going to be a good inclusion if he can maintain the same ANC U-23 hunger.
:bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump: :bump:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley