How did you rate Keshi's Punditry on BBC3 ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babafad »

In my view Keshi's performance as a co-commentator was abysmal. It was an absolute disaster!

A little while back after finding out that BBC were going to show matches from the ANC, I wrote to them saying that it might help if they got match analysts who know and understand African football. Real Africans!

BBC have an assembled studio cast of Gavin Peacock, Mark Bright & our very own Nigerian Oyinbo John Salako - who once said "playing for Nigeria is not an option". In terms of co-commentators, I suppose one can't fault them (or so I thought). They have lined up the likes of Efan Ekoku and "Big Boss" Stephen Keshi.

I know English is not our mother tongue, and some of us will always be able to speak it better than others, so I will never run anyone down for not speaking "unblemished" English. However what we got from Keshi, yesterday, was diabolical. The man has played in Europe for many years - hence there should be an above average technical knowledge of the game. He had played international football for the Eagles, from 1979 - 1994, thus giving him an in-depth knowledge of African football and how things work on the "inside".

Apart from his poor command of the English Language, which was not really a problem, bearing in mind my above comments. His knowledge of the game seemed suspect. Or maybe the guy just couldn't articulate himself. For instance check this out - the commentator asked Keshi what he thought of Algeria's play after they had eqaulised. Our man said the following "I must tell you, I am surprised by what is happening here. However I am not surprised, because Algeria are a very technical team". What the hell was he trying to say?

Also check this one out, as well. He was asked, after Algeria had gone a goal down "what do you think the Algerians need to do to get back into the game. His answer was "they (the Algerians) just have to pack the forward line". For God's sake, is that all. Remember this guy is also meant to be a top flight coach!

I would have expected him to have made some reference about how he would have reacted in certain situations or probably draw on his experience as a player when proffering a view. We heard none of it.

Oh how are the mighty fallen. "Big Boss" my foot!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Keshi may not be an orator, i doubt if he has ever been one, someone said in another thread that he has played in Europe long enough to be able to command good English, mmm the guy played in Belgium didn't he, the last time i checked they are still speaking french over there.
But what really picked me about it all someone criticised his use of words when he said that the Algerians should pack their attack, it does not take a genius to know what Keshi is trying to say here, he is simply saying the Algerian need to commit more attackers.
I have seen my good friend Claudio Ranieri , speak English he is so good reporters queue up to interview him. Isaw Patrick Kluivert on sky the other day, i swear if he was a nigerian he would fail school cert english, same Van de sar, the funny thing is that all these guys were born and bred in Europe abi.
Keshi may not be able to explain things , but as coach your ability to demonstrate and the usage of the board takes that responsiblity off your shoulder.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babafad »

Oloye,

Which one eh? I know you are referring to my post, which I have now posted in this thread, as I was not aware there was already one in existence on the subject.

Please go over it again, and correct the untruths vis-a-vis your reference to my post. I beg, biko!

Keshi dosen't have to be able to speak good English, to make sense when analysing a football match.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

BBC please save keshi from all the embarrasment!! i thought he was talking about armed robbers in lagos-when he said they should pack the attack :lol:
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

marko wrote:BBC please save keshi from all the embarrasment!! i thought he was talking about armed robbers in lagos-when he said they should pack the attack :lol:
articulation is his only problem, if he was commenting in igbo or yoruba language, then u can judge is knowledge of football. Is just like casting babasuwe and u expect him to make all those "out of this world jokes" in a english speaking home video.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

was very funny though-i bet his co-commentator will be thinking'damn where in earth did he spring from'' well its good to know that at least he has a vast knowledge on Nigerian football but he cannot express himself-BBC should try and one live match in Ibo
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
NEDI
Egg
Egg

Post by NEDI »

marko wrote:was very funny though-i bet his co-commentator will be thinking'damn where in earth did he spring from'' well its good to know that at least he has a vast knowledge on Nigerian football but he cannot express himself-BBC should try and one live match in Ibo
Bia na my man una de pieces so? :evil:

Oloye, I couldn't have put it any better. As a coach he will be more inclined to acting out what he wants from his players on the pitch (if it was during training) or utilizing the board drawing X's, O's and arcs to facilitate his points.
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

oloye wrote:Keshi may not be an orator, i doubt if he has ever been one, someone said in another thread that he has played in Europe long enough to be able to command good English, mmm the guy played in Belgium didn't he, the last time i checked they are still speaking french over there.
But what really picked me about it all someone criticised his use of words when he said that the Algerians should pack their attack, it does not take a genius to know what Keshi is trying to say here, he is simply saying the Algerian need to commit more attackers.
I have seen my good friend Claudio Ranieri , speak English he is so good reporters queue up to interview him. Isaw Patrick Kluivert on sky the other day, i swear if he was a nigerian he would fail school cert english, same Van de sar, the funny thing is that all these guys were born and bred in Europe abi.
Keshi may not be able to explain things , but as coach your ability to demonstrate and the usage of the board takes that responsiblity off your shoulder.
For goodness sake Oloye, ENGLISH is our OFFICIAL language. All those other ppl u mentioned come from non-english speaking countries so comparing Keshi to them is nonsense. And coming from a guy that supposedly went to Secondary school in Nigeria then there is no excuse for not being atleast adequate in his english-speaking skills.
I consider any Nigerian that cannot speak adequate english as a disgrace(no offence intended).
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Look give the guy some time and see how it goes. Judging by Keshi's time as a player, you *know* he has a sharp brain. Broadcasting is a skill and it takes time to learn. Anyone of us who's had to learn presentation delivery for work can see that - but luckily we weren't being broadcast on worldwide TV as we learned.

I remember when Magic Johnson retired and first came on TV as an NBA basketball commentator. Magic was nothing short of comical - he was not only unintelligible but in fact he sounded unintelligent too. The guy couldn't express himself well and he seemed to have no insight to offer. Again, this was despite the phenomenally razorsharp brain we saw when the guy was a player on the court.

After a very short while, Magic developed into one of the most insightful basketball commentators I have ever had the provilege of hearing. He identified and pointed out things on the basketball court that well-schooled commentators were complete unaware of It was like he was taking about a 3-D chesss game and they were still on Checkers. At that point you understood why Magic was a hall-of-famer.

Yet, Magic never quit lost his "ebonics" verbal delivery style. Mind you, English is the only offical language in America too!

Give Keshi time - he may well turn out to be very good. And most important, he is blazing a path that we will all appreciate later on, as more African ex-players follow him. I think by now we've all had our fill of tired-#$% Europeans with no insight falling back on on the empty cliches like "naive" and so on...
Last edited by Ziontrain on Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

ZionTrain you have said it all. Babafad you are right na ya statement i was referring to but with no malice oh, this na new year abeg. All i am saying is this , Keshi na footballer, SylverEagles, biko English na our official language, no mean say i must speak am like oyibo man, even sef our President dey struggle to put am together. When you spend most of the time speaking pidgin English and expressing yourself with it, waking up overnight in front of BBC, will not turn you to an orator overnight.
Make una bear with the BOss, with time im go settle down,you are not required to be able to speak Queens English to become a sucessful coach or baller. Wo a beg make una leave my bobo alone. Make im skata dem for BBC, dem get patience for them Ranieri, so make dem get patience for Keshi, we no owe anyone aplogy for that.
I agree say Keshi need to improve but that will come with time, so in the meanwhile when Keshi blow another one just find something to cover your head in case of a friendly fire coming your way :lol: :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho