GEORGE ABBEY: LAST SUMMER JOKE!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

I haven't seen this guy play. The only opportunity was against Brazil and he pulled up lame and missed the encounter. I'll hold my fire until I have seen him play. I hope he's not mulato like Reuben or Osaze cause this could be reason for the fascination with him; Only in Naija!
...but with God all things are possible...
Bell

Post by Bell »

EAGLE WINGED, YOUR MEMORY FAILS YOU

People did not criticize Abbey directly but, by implication, did so when they disparaged the manner in which he was invited and the fact that he played in a lowly level. I know because I participated in debates taking the position that it didn't matter how he was invited - all that mattered was whether he could play.
Bell
temitope
Egg
Egg

Post by temitope »

Enugu II is correct..

There was indeed a lot of debate on George Abbey on this forum after his call up and after the games he played.. CCC in an interview said he had never seen him play but called him up on Yobo's recommendation and I opened a thread "How CCC invites players by man no man and hearsay" on how CCC can call up a 3rd division player for the national team without seeing him play.. that thread grew few pages long with all manners of opinions on him, the manner of the callup, Yobo's motive (seeing that Abbey was his old pal from PH), the fact that he had been languishing in the English lower divisions for about 5 years and how he surely should have been spotted if he was that good etc etc...
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Some interesting quotes on this thread. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Some of us have short memories indeed. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Some of us know why Abbey is playing for Nigeria today, it is not because he his a good crosser of the ball.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Sir V wrote:Some of us know why Abbey is playing for Nigeria today, it is not because he his a good crosser of the ball.
There were two major concerns raised about Abbey's call up. They were: A) How he got his chance? and B) Question marks about his ability and league he plays in.

Those quesion marks are still there for most of his detractors and quite rightly so. Abbey is yet to be tested at a very high level internationally so we must reserve judgement. This is our problem position, so the shirt should be up for grabs.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

Hush it jare and go and assist in helping the Ghanian team. This discussion is for ANC bound teams :P
Web Ohene wrote:George Abbey is not an ANC material.If Abbey is the best RB Nigeria can offer then there is a problem with the quality of Nigerian football.England would never invite a conference player to the national squad, even if he was the best passer/crosser of the ball.If he was indeed the best passer/crosser of the ball he should be playing for the premiership.(Dont forget how Reuben Agboola faded after his shortcomings were exposed in the 1990 ANC).The enemy of excellence is mediocrity.George Abbey is a mediocre player playing in a mediocre league. :twisted: :mrgreen:
Akingbade
Egg
Egg

Post by Akingbade »

I think Abbey should be allowed to continue.He is the best[quite sadly]right full back we have currently.Or who do you want to pick?Enarkhire?Osim?Abass Lawal?Oparaku?Please the SE are no longer the force they once were,let's manage him and pray. :oops:
Don't throw stones if u live in a glass house and kindly use the pre-frontal lobe of your brain more often; scientists call it the seat of good manners...
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

chei,
so is he better than Efetobore "bandana" Sodje?

Naija don pari finish. :cry: :cry: :cry:
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
nasoo
Egg
Egg

Post by nasoo »

Simple !!!! :shock:
IN GOD I TRUST, WITHOUT HIM I AM NOTHING
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

I think in all fairness this dude is better than Efe. He is truly an improvement.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

After watching the tape of the Malawi vs Nigeria game in Abuja when Abbey played right back, I voiced my concerns on this forum over what I perceived to be a lack of skill on Abbey's part. I was widely blasted for my observation.

In my estimation, Abbey George is really not good enough to play for the Eagles.
Last edited by YUJAM on Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

OK, so what if we play Yobo at RB with Okoronkwo and Ribo in the Centre?

Desperate move but hope you understand.
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

Abbey is here to stay, he never really got the brake he required his brother is a very good friend of Babayaro he was well known to the Nigerian footballers based in the UK and to think he is one of those soft Nigerians is a joke he is a Pigin english speaking Waffarian and as tough as nails he can adapt to the ANC easily.
Last edited by monkeypost on Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Web Ohene
Egg
Egg

Post by Web Ohene »

Lefak wrote:Hush it jare and go and assist in helping the Ghanian team. This discussion is for ANC bound teams :P
Web Ohene wrote:George Abbey is not an ANC material.If Abbey is the best RB Nigeria can offer then there is a problem with the quality of Nigerian football.England would never invite a conference player to the national squad, even if he was the best passer/crosser of the ball.If he was indeed the best passer/crosser of the ball he should be playing for the premiership.(Dont forget how Reuben Agboola faded after his shortcomings were exposed in the 1990 ANC).The enemy of excellence is mediocrity.George Abbey is a mediocre player playing in a mediocre league. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Lefak, I hope u r not a racist ???
pastorhotr99
Egg
Egg

Post by pastorhotr99 »

....."The enemy of excellence is mediocrity....George Abbey is a mediocre player playing in a mediocre league"....

Web Ohene...."circa 2003"
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Well, the problem we have is that Isaac Okoronkwo is a tad bit rusty considering that his arse is sore from warming the bench of the worst EPL team all year long... so if we want to move Yobo, our traditional RB, to CB to pair with West, then we have a fat hole at RB that we unfortunately won't know whether it's been filled until ANC begins... Abey looked good playing the 3 LG cup games... against third string players.... the ANC is no joke so we really have no idea as to whether he can hold his own considering that his current action is division 4 ball in England. In short, Houston, we have a problem.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

From what i saw during the venezuela game, i think he is a better RB option than Joe Enakhahire (a CD by trade). i cant reate him against Bob Usim as i have never seen the latter play
chopeski
Egg
Egg

Post by chopeski »

Dodo wrote:From what i saw during the venezuela game, i think he is a better RB option than Joe Enakhahire (a CD by trade). i cant reate him against Bob Usim as i have never seen the latter play

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, IT WAS AGAINST VENEZUELA!!!!! :!: :!: :?: :idea:

Not exactly world class are they!!!!!!!!
daddyrich
Egg
Egg

Post by daddyrich »

Web Ohene wrote:
England would never invite a conference player to the national squad, even if he was the best passer/crosser of the ball.

...now that is a mediocre statement if I ever heard one! :?
Well jolly goodluck to England then, only the best for my SE team even if they play in the Ajegunle league.

Some of the SE players in the 70's and early 80's had no other clubs than their secondary school when they were first invited to camp. The aim of having camp is to select the best players - not the biggest names.
Baxter Onigbinde's second coming is the most disingenious stint ever in Nigerian coaching history.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

george abbe should not be in the team. I agree that there is a problem with the RB position but the problem can be solved by grooming young ones such as kennedy chinwo, bob osim and the likes in the domestic leauge.