Time for Nigeria to go old school with 4-4-2

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Time for Nigeria to go old school with 4-4-2

Post by waka-man »

Fans love talking about formations.

It satisfies the fantasist in all of us, that tells us we know more than experiences coaches.

It's nice and visual, easy on the eye, graphically simple, like arranging pieces on a chess board.

And it allows us to "theoretically" engage with the perpetual evolution of the game: 90's back threes, midfield diamonds and christmas trees, noughties 3 man attacks, attacking diamonds and dual holding midfielders and so on. We've seen formations with no strikers, goalies as sweepers, attacking full backs non-goal scoring strikers.

On this forum, we have proponents of 4-3-3, 10 pointers on 3-5-2 and debates about the difference between a DM and a playmaker.

It's like a side sport to the sport itself.

Of course its all rubbish.

So with that in mind, I'd like to make my own suggestion:

Nigeria should play 4-4-2.

Lets face, these are not the golden days of Nigerian football. When we a young player at the mighty Grenada, a rarely used sub at Arsenal, a 19 year old recent grad to the senior squad at Man City and an jouneyman keeper in the championship variously declared the future of Nigerian football, you know you've got problems.

We've got problems.

4-4-2 is the simplest idea to get your head around.

Two banks of four when you lose possession with two upfront to put the pressure on. In those positions, we have two ok players on Ighalo and Iheanacho. One might one day be great, but that's years ahead. The other is at his peak, just not a particularly high one. But it's enough to qualify you from Africa. I think.

Then we have have a bunch of fast wide players. Problem is none of them can cross. Or defend. But hey, you have what you have. Moses, Moses, Musa can all at least run with the ball and you have a small chance of two of them learning how to track back and squeeze play. Yes, I'm being optimistic. Isaac Success may be an option here too. Actually, no he isn't. Not yet anyway.

Between them is where we have some genuine quality. Mikel remains the only genuine high quality player we've produced in the last 10 years (over the last 15 years you could add Yobo and Enyeama to that list, then you're really struggling). Alongside him we've learnt to accept the erratic energy (and not much else) of Onazi. I would take the almighty shot in the dark of letting that pipe dream go now, and play Alex Iwobi. At least he can protect the ball. And pass. And not concede stupid freekicks. Or get red cards.

Behind them, it's a smorgeshxborg of rejects from international football. Pick any four. Tell them where to stand. And pray.

At least you have to occasional starter from Wolves, Ikeme in goal. Depressing? It could have been Chigozie Agbim. So count your blessings.

Pop this collection of jouneymen, promising talents, pretenders and old-timers into a 4-4-2 and you have a chance. Keep it simple. Two banks of four. Let Mikel direct traffic. When we have the ball, ask the Moses/Musa guys to run with the ball. In the right direction. Don't hope for good crosses. Just really fast running. Maybe with the ball once in a while. Iheanacho and Ighalo have enough about them to feed off the mayhem.

Anything else is too complicated. Not just for the players, but for the social media expert we've hired as a coach.

Long live the simple, basic, 4-4-2.
Last edited by waka-man on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Time for Nigeria to go old school with 4-4-2

Post by cic old boy »

It is easier to outwit opponents with 4-1-9
http://www.naijiant.com/
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

cic old boy wrote:It is easier to outwit opponents with 4-1-9
True
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Most teams adapt during a game,when in attack and whilst defending depending on the strengths of your players.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Leicester have woken an old ghost. In the past decade, has Nigeria ever shown a fraction of the workrate imperative to canceling out it's counterproductivity.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Coach wrote:Leicester have woken an old ghost. In the past decade, has Nigeria ever shown a fraction of the workrate imperative to canceling out it's counterproductivity.
Oh how I wish Nigeria had any of the qualities of Leicester! Alas we don't.
Our version of it would have to be infinitely more static, boring and based on luck :scared: :scared: :scared:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Yup! Ww have enough problems already that we dont need the other fancy formation. lets go back to the simple 442. It what our players play growing up .
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Behind them, it's a smorgeshxborg of rejects from international football. Pick any four. Tell them where to stand. And pray.
:lol: :lol: :lol: kai!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

waka-man wrote:Fans love talking about formations.

It satisfies the fantasist in all of us, that tells us we know more than experiences coaches.

It's nice and visual, easy on the eye, graphically simple, like arranging pieces on a chess board.

And it allows us to "theoretically" engage with the perpetual evolution of the game: 90's back threes, midfield diamonds and christmas trees, noughties 3 man attacks, attacking diamonds and dual holding midfielders and so on. We've seen formations with no strikers, goalies as sweepers, attacking full backs non-goal scoring strikers.

On this forum, we have proponents of 4-3-3, 10 pointers on 3-5-2 and debates about the difference between a DM and a playmaker.

Lets face, these are not the golden days of Nigerian football. When we a young player at the mighty Grenada, a rarely used sub at Arsenal, a 19 year old recent grad to the senior squad at Man City and an jouneyman keeper in the championship variously declared the future of Nigerian football, you know you've got problems.

We've got problems.

Two banks of four when you lose possession with two upfront to put the pressure on. In those positions, we have two ok players on Ighalo and Iheanacho. One might one day be great, but that's years ahead. The other is at his peak, just not a particularly high one. But it's enough to qualify you from Africa. I think.

Then we have have a bunch of fast wide players. Problem is none of them can cross. Or defend. But hey, you have what you have. Moses, Moses, Musa can all at least run with the ball and you have a small chance of two of them learning how to track back and squeeze play. Yes, I'm being optimistic. Isaac Success may be an option here too. Actually, no he isn't. Not yet anyway.

Between them is where we have some genuine quality. Mikel remains the only genuine high quality player we've produced in the last 10 years (over the last 15 years you could add Yobo and Enyeama to that list, then you're really struggling). Alongside him we've learnt to accept the erratic energy (and not much else) of Onazi. I would take the almighty shot in the dark of letting that pipe dream go now, and play Alex Iwobi. At least he can protect the ball. And pass. And not concede stupid freekicks. Or get red cards.

At least you have to occasional starter from Wolves, Ikeme in goal. Depressing? It could have been Chigozie Agbim. So count your blessings.

Pop this collection of jouneymen, promising talents, pretenders and old-timers into a 4-4-2 and you have a chance. Keep it simple. Two banks of four. Let Mikel direct traffic. When we have the ball, ask the Moses/Musa guys to run with the ball. In the right direction. Don't hope for good crosses. Just really fast running. Maybe with the ball once in a while. Iheanacho and Ighalo have enough about them to feed off the mayhem.

Anything else is too complicated. Not just for the players, but for the social media expert we've hired as a coach.

wake-man!

This was as wickedly entertaining as it was sobering. Surely an early favorite for post of the year. Supremely poignant.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

kAI....We don suffer sha.....

But you do make some valid points.

Onazi is supposed to counter Mikel's languid style....but he is starting to believe in his own abilities and his forays have left us open more times than we would like. I don't think Iwobi is the answer. The Iwobi I have seen is an attacking midfielder, if we play 4-4-2 you need a box to box. Who will be the Kante to Mikel's Drinkwater?

Onazi is probably the answer to that. But he will have to be much more tactically disciplined.

The two up front we are spoilt for choice really. I know Success is on the wing now but I really see him evolving into a central striker sooner rather than later. I remember Odion played on the wings for Grenada for a while before being who he is now. Success and Ighalo combo will be fascinating to see much more than Kelechi and Ighalo.

Victor Moses should get one of the wing spots....just not sure how he does defensively in this formation. Same with Musa...I don't know.

Definitely something to ponder.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

We've got problems.

This was highly entertaining :clap: and fun to read. Actually made sense too
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

Where is Ayo with 10 reasons why this is not going to work :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Waka, as bread and butter with milk saturated tea, heavily sugared, as the 4-4-2 is, it's lack of intricacy and over reliance on grit and graft, championing facets, are where it falls down. Or perhaps more fittingly, falls apart. There's something inherently Okonkwo about Nigeria's Super Eagles, brawn, swashbuckling bravado and barrel-chestedness of the celebrated village champion. Old-fashioned, staunchly opposed to the gadflies of change and yet, lacking in the necessary to repel it. There may well be the odd Ikemefuna on the way, but the noose waits patiently for their neck. If they are to go against the currents of change, swim in those tempestuous seas, they must change their stroke, ironically.

Absolutely agree, the national team is far from the standard assumed by many, mid-table and a decent cup run, sexual satisfaction of Lady Luck dependent, at best.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

I have been seriously thinking about this. I think formations and tactics should be based on the type of players you have at your disposal. We have not had a proper "number 10' in a long time and yet we have been trying to play the 4-2-3-1 meaning we have unsuccessfully played many players in that position in recent years (Azeez, Nosa, Mba, Moses, Babatunde and now Igbonu). The strange thing is when we had Oruma and J.J, we hardly played 4-2-3-1.
What we seem to have now though are talented and in-form out and out attackers but with the 4-2-3-1, there is room for only one of them, except one is played out of position out wide. I think it is time to begin to play to our strengths.
Until we find a proper "number 10', playing 4-4-2 should be considered by our coaches.
yes o
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^A copycat culture which thrashes out a sorry excuse for a replica. Not only the players at one's disposal but the collective strengths and weaknesses, should define the system. And just as much, the opposition. Neutrality is as imperative an objective as affording space within which a fleet-footed headless chicken can break landspeed records.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Great post.

You need at least one of the two forwards to really do a good job of harrying and sacrificing...think someone like Amokachi. Kelechi won't do that and Ighalo has Deeney doing that for him at Watford. Who else? Salami? This is where I liked the Emenike/Brown combo, they seemed to have that connection.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Absolutely. And then there's the issue of Salami, the preparation is irrelevant, halal would be more insolence than integrative. Nigeria are neither Foxes nor Simeone inspired nihilists. Inherently lazy and quintessentially naive, the 4-4-2 is as much for Nigeria as 24 hours of uninterrupted power supply and running water.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

waka-man wrote:Lets face, these are not the golden days of Nigerian football. When we a young player at the mighty Grenada, a rarely used sub at Arsenal, a 19 year old recent grad to the senior squad at Man City and an jouneyman keeper in the championship variously declared the future of Nigerian football, you know you've got problems.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Abegi, tell them...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

kai this nah serious finishing ooo, we don suffer :lol: :lol: :lol:waka man, i beg you easy small nah
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

We've got problems.

But nobody (Coach/Manager/Team) plays old school 4-4-2. The 4-4-2 you see from Leicester, Watford, Atletico Madrid etc is far removed from the old style 4-4-2 my bro.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

We've got problems.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Would that be because 4-1-9 formation will use 14 players as against 10 by the other team in 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe