Mikel John Obi admits: I owed my team-mates equaliser

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

obaGol
Egg
Egg
Mikel John Obi admits: I owed my team-mates equaliser

Post by obaGol »

Chelsea’s Mikel John Obi admits: I owed my team-mates equaliser against PSG
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... aliser-psg
Mikel John Obi has admitted he owed his team-mates the equalising goal against Paris Saint-Germain at Parc des Princes, a lifeline to which Chelsea will cling in the return leg next month, having been culpable in the buildup to the hosts’ opener on Tuesday.

Mikel scored only his sixth goal in 358 Chelsea appearances, netting from close range after PSG failed to clear Willian’s corner in first half stoppage time, with the visitors eventually succumbing 2-1 against much-fancied opposition.

His role in the opener, when his foul on Lucas Moura had earned the hosts a free-kick from which Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s shot flicked from the Nigerian’s heel and went in, had drawn stinging criticism, most notably from Rio Ferdinand in his role as a pundit for BT Sport.
The former England captain had questioned why Mikel had jumped and turned his back in the defensive wall. “In the changing rooms I’m sure they’re saying: ‘What are you doing?’” said Ferdinand. “If you’re not going to have the balls to stand there then don’t be in the wall. He’ll look back on this and be embarrassed. You’ve got to stay strong, stay front on and want to take the ball in the face.