MY VERDICT ON THE TEAMS SO FAR

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chief Bambostic
Egg
Egg
MY VERDICT ON THE TEAMS SO FAR

Post by Chief Bambostic »

Guinea and DR Congo will be also-rans in this tournament on the evidence of today. DR Congo with that keeper don't have a snowflakes in hell's chance of reaching the quater-finals. Rwanda is also just making up the numbers. Guinea will make a swift exit in the quater-finals to Senegal.

Tunisia will top their group due to the very easy pairing. It remains to be seen what Mali does tomorrow but if they are as good as we think they'll be with Kanouté, Seydou Keita and Sidibé, I think this will be another disappointing tournament for Tunisia - I see them making a quater-final exit also.

Cameroon were impressive against Algeria and were just unlucky not to win by at least two goals. I still tip them to go to at least the semi-finals after disposing of Morocco in the quaters (yes, they will still top their group).

After seeing Egypt's game, I believe they will finish second as Cameroon will definitely beat them in the final group game to avoid a quater-final clash with Nigeria. Egypt were lucky to beat Zimbabwe today - as for Cam, Eto'o is the greatest threat

Semis will be Senegal vs Nigeria and Cameroon vs Mali again!!!

I'd like to see Nigeria vs Mali as the final this time though...
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

Based on what I have seen, Nigeria has the talent to carry this thing. That is man for man. However, I wouldn't be surprised if our shoddy preparations cost us once again.
After all we have had the talent to have one every ANC since '94 but one excuse after the other has hurt us.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Ghost wrote:Based on what I have seen, Nigeria has the talent to carry this thing. That is man for man. However, I wouldn't be surprised if our shoddy preparations cost us once again.
After all we have had the talent to have one every ANC since '94 but one excuse after the other has hurt us.
By Nigerian standards, this is probably the best prepared team we have had in a while. As long as CCC put's the best 11 of the 22 on the fireld, we will win this tournament.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Here is a chilling fact: Nigeria has always won an ANC in every decade. The 1980s decade, we won. The 1990s decade, we won. This is the 2000 decade, we are due for another and it will either be this one or next, or the next :D.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The number one thing to do in first games is to secure the points... eF style points...

Egypt showed me quality... DR Congo can still get it together if they decide to play for a full 90 minutes...

Cameroon played well considering that a FAT bulleye is on their backs... I expect Eto'o to come back firing when he decides to keep it simple...

Ghost, you have not seen Naija play... and unless YesOga has us playing differently from the last hand full of games we have played I won't be surprised if we get ambushed...

I dey wait for my boys Burkina and Mali to ship Senegal home so I go collect mai wager...

Up Naija!!!
Last edited by Cellular on Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

Nija fan, superficially we trained better. However, at the end of the day, some of our core players still were absent from the camp.
We have done better than '02 for sure and I hope it pays off.
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

Like 94, we have Adidas
Like 94, we have at least 2 weeks of solid training
Like 94, we have the motivation and desire to win
(Okocha and Kanu won't like to be the generation not to win the African title)
Like 94, we have the African Player of the year.

Like 94, we are winning this thing - Write that down!
visit the village square
elhadji
Egg
Egg

Post by elhadji »

I came away from watching the cameroon game, highly impressed. Eto'o and Mboma had some fantastic link up play with the Cameroon midfield. Plus Cameroon has some skillful beastmasters in their midfield. Mbami, Geremi, and Djemba Djemba can mix it up. Who in the Nigerian team is going to match up with these guys. Our midfield is lightweight. We have got no true ball winners / destroyers. From Ekong, Olofinjana, Ekweume somebody has to step up in that midfield and do the dirty work.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

elhadji wrote:I came away from watching the cameroon game, highly impressed. Eto'o and Mboma had some fantastic link up play with the Cameroon midfield. Plus Cameroon has some skillful beastmasters in their midfield. Mbami, Geremi, and Djemba Djemba can mix it up. Who in the Nigerian team is going to match up with these guys. Our midfield is lightweight. We have got no true ball winners / destroyers. From Ekong, Olofinjana, Ekweume somebody has to step up in that midfield and do the dirty work.
broman, we much have watched different games... mbami & djemba were missing in action for most of the game... the only midfielder that was holding things down and linking up with mboma/eto is Geremi (di real deal... as always... bobo neva disappoints me)... he was everywhere perhaps leading you to mistaken him for his 2 slacker brethren in the midfield... I'm not worrying about our matchup to the IL cause it means absolutely nada rite now.... the only game on my mind is thre freaking morroccans and that #7 dude (zairi... the fake 'Hadji'). 8)
fishward1
Egg
Egg

Post by fishward1 »

What do you think Enyeama is another rep Congo goalkeeper without
a clue!!!!!!!!!
If he plays we will concede for sure!!!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

fishward1,it seems Enyeama snatched your girlfriend,You've been popping up everywhere with the same old and tired bashing.Let's discuss Enyeama objectively after the Morocco game.That's only fair to the young man.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Thank you Mr. Cleo... ok just kidding... I don't think Mali will make it that far but Cam. will top the group fo sho dou
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

green4life wrote:
elhadji wrote:I came away from watching the cameroon game, highly impressed. Eto'o and Mboma had some fantastic link up play with the Cameroon midfield. Plus Cameroon has some skillful beastmasters in their midfield. Mbami, Geremi, and Djemba Djemba can mix it up. Who in the Nigerian team is going to match up with these guys. Our midfield is lightweight. We have got no true ball winners / destroyers. From Ekong, Olofinjana, Ekweume somebody has to step up in that midfield and do the dirty work.
broman, we much have watched different games... mbami & djemba were missing in action for most of the game... the only midfielder that was holding things down and linking up with mboma/eto is Geremi (di real deal... as always... bobo neva disappoints me)... he was everywhere perhaps leading you to mistaken him for his 2 slacker brethren in the midfield... I'm not worrying about our matchup to the IL cause it means absolutely nada rite now.... the only game on my mind is thre freaking morroccans and that #7 dude (zairi... the fake 'Hadji'). 8)
green4life thank you bro...I thought I was the only one who thought Mbami and Djemba were very conspicuous with their absence in the middle of the park..
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

The last thing I would want to see in this tournament is Nigeria have a quarter-final fixture against cameroon. And it looks like the tournament has started to head in that direction with the draw that Cameroon got today and the possibilily of a Nigerian win on tuesday. If both teams continue at that momentum. Nigeria would end up first in its group and Cameroon second thereby inviting a quarter final fixture. Cameroon has always had a psychological edge over Nigeria and it might tell on when we meet. But who knows may be it will just be opportunity it beat and eliminate the Cameroonians from the tournament. I know I am probably thinking too far, this is just speculation.
bobbye
Egg
Egg

Post by bobbye »

MAY BE ONE OF THEM WILL NOT MAKE IT OUT OF THE GROUP STAGE. THEN ALL BETS ARE OFF. LETS KEEP OUR FINGERS CROSSED UNTILL ALL FIRST ROUND MATCHES ARE PLAYED. wE SHOULD STOPPED PUTTING THE CARTS BEFORE THE HORSES. LESS I FORGET REMEBER THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED MATCH BETWEEN NIGERIA AND BRAZIL IN WORLD CUP FRANCE 98.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Its a Goal wrote:Here is a chilling fact: Nigeria has always won an ANC in every decade. The 1980s decade, we won. The 1990s decade, we won. This is the 2000 decade, we are due for another and it will either be this one or next, or the next :D.
Oga IAG...we won nada in the 50's, 60's or 70's... :?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

cameroon looked impressive eventhough they failed to finish off opposition-am sure they will qualify to the knockout stages-it is too early to read into the competition-this stage of the competition is about getting points to qualify -and this is where we might see the true form of teams
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

marko wrote:cameroon looked impressive eventhough they failed to finish off opposition-am sure they will qualify to the knockout stages-it is too early to read into the competition-this stage of the competition is about getting points to qualify -and this is where we might see the true form of teams
Very true but I do not think,Cameroun,will have the freedom to run rings around nigeria like they did against Algeria.For one Nigeria is equally as physical and on one on one basis,Nigeria can withstand any opposition.But again that is on paper.
who no know go know.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

well the cameroon players looked physically big,strong and pacy,Nigerian players on the other hand are more skillful,technical but until i see the match tommorow,cant give an indication as to what the super eagles will do in this competition
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko