Louis Van Gaal Not At Fault for Man Utd Problems

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Louis Van Gaal Not At Fault for Man Utd Problems

Post by cic old boy »

:thumbs: :thumbs:
Looks like WE are not giving Borinho the job.

Jose Mourinho RESIGNED to Manchester United naming Ryan Giggs manager after Louis van Gaal

22:30, 5 MAR 2016 UPDATED 11:34, 6 MAR 2016
BY SIMON MULLOCK

Reds chiefs have been turned-off by fact the Special One doesn't bring homegrown kids through — and are now set to stick with current boss for next season

Jose Mourinho's failure to nurture young players is the main reason why Manchester United don’t see the Portuguese as a potential successor to Louis van Gaal.

Powerful influences in the Old Trafford boardroom feel the Special One can’t be trusted to keep faith with the club’s long-standing philosophy of promoting homegrown talent from the Academy.

And Sunday Mirror Sport understands the former Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid boss Mourinho has resigned himself to the fact that United are sticking with a succession plan that will see Ryan Giggs eventually take over from Van Gaal.

And the Dutchman, who has been under intense criticism several times this season as his Reds have struggled, hinted on Saturday that he has already been told he WILL complete the final year of his contract next season.

Van Gaal said: “There are a lot of players coming to Manchester United next season because they know I give them a chance.”

United have a proud tradition of developing their own stars — there has been a homegrown player in every single match-day squad since October 1937.

Giggs himself came through the ranks to become the most decorated player in the club’s glorious history.

And legends such as Sir Bobby Charlton, George Best and Duncan Edwards are still revered by the Old Trafford fans.

Manchester-born Marcus Rashford is the latest starlet to burst through the system, scoring two goals in each of his first two senior games last week.

Mourinho, in contrast, has no pedigree when it comes to committing to youth.

The fact that he has not stayed in any of his seven managerial jobs for longer than three years is another reason why he isn’t seen as a good fit by those who roam the club’s corridors of power.

The fear is youngsters like Rashford, Jesse Lingard, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and Paddy McNair will see their pathway into the first team blocked if United opt for a Mourinho appointment to pacify some disgruntled fans.

Van Gaal revealed his record of giving young players their head was a key factor in him landing the United job in the first place in 2014.

He said: “We discussed young players in my interview.

“We had two conversations, first with Ed Woodward and later with the owners.

“They said what the culture of Manchester United is and why they wanted me. One of the reasons was that I give young players a chance, as we are seeing.

“When you have me as a manager, you have a lot of chances.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ed-7499916
http://www.naijiant.com/
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:D :D
i will leave it at that.

you and I are here debating about AdM, and you think the coach of Manchester United did NOT tell him to knuckle down and start playing.

wiseone wrote:ADM's performances were below par. However that is not a reason to sell a player bought for 60 million only months earlier! (otherwise 90% of players in world football would be sold at the end of every season) LVG should have told ADM to knuckle down and start playing like the player he was at RM.

Despite being injured or out of form for most of the season, ADM still got more assists than anyone apart from Hazard! (who played for the champions and was the player of the season!).
tfco wrote: :roll:

massive difference and i'm shocked to read this from you

C Ron was performing.

AdM was not, and was even benched by Young.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

tfco wrote::D :D
i will leave it at that.

you and I are here debating about AdM, and you think the coach of Manchester United did NOT tell him to knuckle down and start playing.

wiseone wrote:ADM's performances were below par. However that is not a reason to sell a player bought for 60 million only months earlier! (otherwise 90% of players in world football would be sold at the end of every season) LVG should have told ADM to knuckle down and start playing like the player he was at RM.

Despite being injured or out of form for most of the season, ADM still got more assists than anyone apart from Hazard! (who played for the champions and was the player of the season!).
tfco wrote: :roll:

massive difference and i'm shocked to read this from you

C Ron was performing.

AdM was not, and was even benched by Young.
Di Maria came from high standards at Madrid where every player is expected to deliver big time every game or the fans go wild, and every one does deliver at Bernabeau, look how Bale gets called out for not scoring or passing

Then Di Maria comes to Man Utd and finds that there's a bit of turmoil, no one agrees on exactly what is wrong, and Di Maria finds something to hide behind, even a break in excuse will do, his high standards start slipping, he was being played all over the pitch at Madrid but it suddenly becomes a problem when it happens at Man Utd.

Di Maria was simply hiding, and so are many others with big reputations, the high standards are no longer there.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

:rotf:
Arsenal fans: you guys just will not give Wenger a break.
amafolas wrote: Leave us out of this abeg. At Arsenal, both manager and players have jobs for life!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

losing 2-0 at Anfield with zero shots on target was just not good

tactics? Fellini starting over Herrera/Schweini?

hmm

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

tfco wrote:losing 2-0 at Anfield with zero shots on target was just not good

hmm
Hater :taunt:
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

felarey wrote:

hmm
Hater :taunt:
:lol: :lol: His Kumasi eyes don dey clear.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Former Manchester United captain Rio Ferdinand says on BT Sport that Liverpool overran United throughout and says that the home side 'played like United used to.'

"It was shambolic. So bad," says Paul Scholes.

I'd like to play Scholesy at poker. He can't keep his feelings in. Absolutely fuming...

More from Paul Scholes on BT Sport: "Manchester United have spent £300m and they are sixth in the league, they have ended up in the Europa League. They should be competing with Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

"Manchester United didn't need a new philosophy. They had one for 20 years which worked."
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

I am just wondering, apart from De Gea, which other Manchester United player ever puts on a good performance for more than 2 games, I now can't even see the difference if Herrera or Felliani start , the whole bunch is so inconsistent they hide in most games.

Why is it that one of the best games the team played this season was vs Arsenal and it was mostly hungry kids, and soon as the so called seniors come back from injury it's back to losing ways and sh.it football.

Majority of Man Utd players are hiding and need to be shipped out to China.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Does this man even know about the Utd/Loserpool rivalry or the history behind it? The man is a calamity, look at him praising the atmosphere at Antfield :roll: :roll:
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal: "I have to say that Liverpool created an atmosphere that was fantastic. They played very good in the first half and we could not cope with their pressure. David de Gea was fantastic. But we had a cheap penalty and in the second half we changed the shape. We had much more contribution to the game but we didn't create enough.

"They scored another cheap goal, he was offside, and that is difficult. Losing 2-0 is a difficult result for us but we have to create an atmosphere like that next week.

"Liverpool deserved it. I haven't seen [the incident with Marouane Fellaini] but I have to say that Fellaini was one of the best players on the pitch."
All from BBC http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/35762852

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

hmm
The trick may have been to try and beat Klopp's gegenpressing with the long ball to Felliani, note how even Man City's accomplished passers struggle terribly with that pressing when they try to tiki taka their way into Liverpool's half.
Otherwise the other solution may have been to press Liverpool back even harder, but Man Utd squad is not good enough at that.
And they are not good enough at counter attacking either.

The club needs to start afresh
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

benteke wrote:

hmm
The trick may have been to try and beat Klopp's gegenpressing with the long ball to Felliani, note how even Man City's accomplished passers struggle terribly with that pressing when they try to tiki taka their way into Liverpool's half.
Otherwise the other solution may have been to press Liverpool back even harder, but Man Utd squad is not good enough at that.

Mr Philosophy has no trick other than pass the ball and hope for the best. All those kids that people were drooling about will fizzle out as they absorb the philosophy :D
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

YemiBrazil wrote:
benteke wrote:

hmm

Mr Philosophy has no trick other than pass the ball and hope for the best. All those kids that people were drooling about will fizzle out as they absorb the philosophy :D
But we are continuously told by football fundis that passing and possession style is the correct way to play football :taunt:

In my opinion it's just that LVG is using the wrong tools for that style of football, most of the players that the club has assembled for the job are very average, their big price tags are very misleading and give fans unjustified hope and unrealistic expectations.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote::thumbs: :thumbs:
Looks like WE are not giving Borinho the job.
Our style against Liverpool was very very boring tho'

what was the style again? 0 shots on Mignolet.
Last edited by tfco on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Lost in translation or rather, transition. With the Big Fella on the park, United needed more crosses than B.A Baracus' jewellery box. Knock it wide, fizz it in. Flick ons, throw ins, setpieces. Rory Delap on a free, cup-tied, would like to see them try. Clad in Von Philosophy, t'is perhaps time for Fellani to play the John Obi role, block, tackle release. Six foot plus, bags of afro, t'is one of the greatest tragedies in football than Maoam hasn't translated his physique into a bone crunching midfield general. He arrived talking about Roy Keane but has given no more than Roy Walker.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

benteke wrote:I am just wondering, apart from De Gea, which other Manchester United player ever puts on a good performance for more than 2 games, I now can't even see the difference if Herrera or Felliani start , the whole bunch is so inconsistent they hide in most games.

Why is it that one of the best games the team played this season was vs Arsenal and it was mostly hungry kids, and soon as the so called seniors come back from injury it's back to losing ways and sh.it football.

Start from the point where they are all confused ..the answer becomes easy :woot: :woot: :woot: Luckily for DeGea, the only philosophy he has to contend with is to stop the shots with his hands and body. Then throw or kick the ball away to someone near or far away....simple enough. Unlike the other players, he does not need to go looking for imaginary triangles all over the field :D :D :D
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

LVG's obsession with playing people out of position is mind boggling:

*Rashford (a young hungry striker with a great turn of pace and ability to finish inside the box) - shunted out to right wing, asked to play as auxillary wing back to mark the opposition's left back, played 5 games in a row, in danger of burn out 2 weeks into his career.

Martial - see Rashford, and replace "right" with "left" (and vice-versa).

*Blind - a calm assured full back or midfielder with the ability to spot a pass. No pace or aerial strength. Played out of position at CD.

*Carrick - see Blind.

*Fellaini - a very dangerous player who can wreak havoc in the air if played just behind the main striker. Played as a DM and striker.

*Fosu-Mensah - a promising CM. Played at LB and CD.

*Januzaj - a promising winger. Played at wing back, and center forward.

*Valencia - a good winger with pace. Played at FB.

*Young - see Valencia.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

oloye wrote:
benteke wrote:I am just wondering, apart from De Gea, which other Manchester United player ever puts on a good performance for more than 2 games, I now can't even see the difference if Herrera or Felliani start , the whole bunch is so inconsistent they hide in most games.

Start from the point where they are all confused ..the answer becomes easy :woot: :woot: :woot: Luckily for DeGea, the only philosophy he has to contend with is to stop the shots with his hands and body. Then throw or kick the ball away to someone near or far away....simple enough. Unlike the other players, he does not need to go looking for imaginary triangles all over the field :D :D :D
But that cannot be an excuse.
Confused by what exactly ? Pass the ball, keep possession, score goals, defend ?

Honestly man in some games these guys turn up and play well, but soon as they go a goal down they give up.
That cannot be an LVG problem
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I think Serge Aurier's foolish antics at PSG could be a blessing for Man Utd. They badly need a dynamic attacking full back with speed (since they decided to get rid of the fullbacks with those qualities they already had: Rafa, Evra, Fabio). PSG probably want Aurier out of the building ASAP and 10-15 million could do it. To me that is a snip for a 23yo quality defender who is one of the best in the world in his position.

That will save us the horror of watching Valencia, Young (and maybe Depay, Martial, and Rashford if LVG gets his way) playing at RB.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

wiseone wrote:I think Serge Aurier's foolish antics at PSG could be a blessing for Man Utd. They badly need a dynamic attacking full back with speed (since they decided to get rid of the fullbacks with those qualities they already had: Rafa, Evra, Fabio). PSG probably want Aurier out of the building ASAP and 10-15 million could do it. To me that is a snip for a 23yo quality defender who is one of the best in the world in his position.

That will save us the horror of watching Valencia, Young (and maybe Depay, Martial, and Rashford if LVG gets his way) playing at RB.
:(

dude, you are losing it.

you do realize why Valencia and Young were deputizing at RB?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

When Valencia was playing RB (and a fully fit Rafael was sitting in the stands), who was he "deputising" for? When Young was playing RB, LB, RWB, LWB (and a fully fit Darmian and Varela were sitting on the bench/in the stands), who was he "deputising" for?
tfco wrote:
:(

dude, you are losing it.

you do realize why Valencia and Young were deputizing at RB?
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:bump: :bump:

the LVG years

The Doom & Gloom brigade would have been on LCG's neck regarding the 'philosophy'

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

when you are used to a footballing tradition and a coach does not get the desired results, its not rocket science that there will be complaints
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko