INTERVIEW: Alex Iwobi's Dad......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: INTERVIEW: Alex Iwobi's Dad......

Post by Prince »

Wow Alex is lucky
Oya back to the matter
open and close
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Goldleaf wrote:Chuka is the most humble and gracious chap ever, along with his twin, Chike. Top man. :thumb: :thumb:
some kids just win the lottery in life in terms of God-given talent and great parents
Lex is one of them
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

[quote="Enugu II"]Excellent interview!!!!

GOALEXCLUSIVE

You finally saw Alex make his competitive debut for Nigeria having jettisoned your own football career as a youth - how does that make you feel?

"Alex came on in the 81st minute and it was more like a dream come true, and that answers the question on whether Alex is going to play for England or Nigeria. That put a stop to the question and the rest is for him to work hard and become a regular for the Nigerian side and take it game by game."
I like the emphasis on hard work - it will take him places.

Many parents would feel playing for England is more prestigious. Was it a tough decision to make?

"My philosophy in life is to always follow your heart. For Alex, I did play a role in persuading him to come, but ultimately it was his decision to come and play for Nigeria. It’s been a long journey, not an easy journey, and we want to send a message to footballers of Nigerian origin who are abroad.

"There is a lot of misconception that things are not properly organised in Nigeria. All I can say to [those people] is come, have a look as I have done, and they will see a totally different setup from what they have heard. It is a joy to play for Nigeria, things are properly done in Nigeria, Nigeria is a big footballing nation and I would like to encourage everyone out there who is having any doubt to come and see and taste for themselves.

"I’m talking from personal experience; it’s a wonderful opportunity for anybody to come back and play for their country. Alex was born in Nigeria on May 3, 1996, and he went abroad when he was four months old. For me and for Alex it’s like coming home and home is where the heart is. It is a privilege to play for Nigeria and I am honoured and overjoyed."
Pride and joy in country. I may not share his testimony about the Nigerian environment especially for foreign born players but how can one argue with such loyalty?

"At the beginning of the season when Wenger said Alex was not going out on loan, we had no reservations because we believe in his philosophy. Alex has really improved this season, it is more like a breakthrough season for him. He has really progressed from the reserves to the first team and it is through hard work and, above all, humility, respect for senior players, understanding and a desire to learn. And pride always goes before a downfall because when a player starts thinking that he’s better than he actually is, then he is destined for failure.
More emphases on humility and hard work - two ingredients for success.

"I can say, and with a lot of joy, that my son is a very humble person and he is always well loved by his team-mates and coaches. He listens and he respects and he is a team player. He relishes the joy of winning as a team rather than any personal achievements. The priority for him is the team and if he is able to make a contribution, that is a bonus."
I stress to people: if you are great don't set yourself apart from your colleagues, try to be one of them and you'll never have fiercer boosters or loyal defenders?

"Alex is not a finished product, he still has a lot to learn, but he has come a long way. When you look at players like [Lionel] Messi, they’re working, they’re shooting, they’re training, they’re doing extra work and that’s what it takes to become successful.

"For Alex there’s a lot to be learnt in aspects of his game and I keep saying to people who think Alex has made it: 'He hasn’t made it'. He has embarked on a journey and he still has a long way to go. God willing and injury free, I’m hoping he will continue to grow in the game and become a much better player, being level-headed and respecting those above him and also encouraging those coming up."
How can one not be impressed by this statement from a parent? And it happens to be true also.

"The shortcut to everything is that he has picked up the universal language which is Pidgin English and he has made an effort talking to his team-mates. In the [Nigeria] team, you have Igbo people and Yoruba people but the universal language is Pidgin.

"His first encounter with Pidgin was when he was invited to the Under-23s, that’s when he picked up the language. It’s getting better now and it’s coming to a stage where he understands every word of Pidgin but then he’s struggling to put his thoughts into words. So he has a fair understanding of Pidgin and by the time he comes progressively into camp, I’m sure he’s going to get better."
Pidgin is not that difficult to pick up - because the only rule it has is that the one you are communicating with understands you.

I'M NOT ONE THAT'S EASILY IMPRESSED BUT...

...I'm totally impressed by the senior Iwobi - loves his son and loves his country. Very frank too, insisting that his son is not the finished product and openly admitting that he had a hand in his son opting for Nigeria. His commitment to humility can be seen as he used every opportunity to stress humility. And something very unusual among Nigerian parents overseas, including those who wore Nigeria's colors: he's encouraging them to put on the uniform. I would love to run into him in Russia. I've only been a very lukewarm Arsenal supporter but now I wish the young man plenty of luck. BTW, I think playing for Nigeria is good for his growth and confidence.
Bell
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Papa and Mama Alex, may your yam barn and pammy calabash never stop overflowing.

"What Alex has achieved I cannot take credit for........"
"What I tell Alex every day is believe."
:clap:

Next year will our grand overture. If not we still have 2022, 2026........
Advocating rational thought since 1987
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Everything Waffiman used to tell us about the family is true. I have great respect for them.
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923