The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tactical
Egg
Egg
Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Post by Tactical »

Match Stats

Atletico vs Bayern: 24-76
Bayern vs Atletico: 77-23
Barcelona vs Atletico: 74-26
Atletico vs Barcelona: 23-77

And this is in a way a defensively well organized club is. They ride roughshod over teams that aren't that solid in possession football but they sit back, defend and look for the odd chance here and there against teams who make them chase the ball.

By the way, the possession of the Real - Atletico game was 52 - 48 in favour of Atletico. Where's the un-Leicester difference. The way it had been presented here make Real look like slouches and that they won by outright luck. Real actually had the clearer chances.
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Tactical wrote:Match Stats

And this is in a way a defensively well organized club is. They ride roughshod over teams that aren't that solid in possession football but they sit back, defend and look for the odd chance here and there against teams who make them chase the ball.

By the way, the possession of the Real - Atletico game was 52 - 48 in favour of Atletico. Where's the un-Leicester difference. The way it had been presented here make Real look like slouches and that they won by outright luck. Real actually had the clearer chances.
You should read the thread from the beginning before responding.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

There is no comparison. Atleti play a distinct style on both sides of the ball that is very different from how LC play.

Atleti can defend in very interesting ways if they want to even when they face the best players in the world. If they need to attack, they are capable of imposing their passing game against even the best teams out there.

Atleti is class. They are among the top sides in the world. LC are still unproven at the bigger stage and they are yet to show they possess the capabilities of a top team.
Tactical wrote:Match Stats

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

benteke wrote:I have a sneaky feeling we will be bumping this thread up a lot during next season's Champions League campaign, like how we kept bumping up the thread where naysayers declared that Leicester is water that will find it's level in the EPL season :biggrin: :taunt:
First bump. 3-0 away :thumbs:

Is it too early to bump ? :mrgreen:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Gudo wrote:I have a feeling Yujam and other haters of the EPL are going to get very upset in the champions league next season. Please bookmark this thread :taunt:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

benteke wrote:
benteke wrote:I have a sneaky feeling we will be bumping this thread up a lot during next season's Champions League campaign, like how we kept bumping up the thread where naysayers declared that Leicester is water that will find it's level in the EPL season :biggrin: :taunt:

Wicked man,they might top this group and who knows :thumbs: :thumbs:
You don't go away on your debut and win 3-0 if you not good in CL
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Vincent and YUJAM did you all watch the Atleti game yesterday in CL away and Leicester game today away in CL?
They both play very similar style, difference was one coach dancing with his hands all game and the other coach sit down like mafia talk just when he need to
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:

indeed it is. It is ONLY Club Brugge

LCFC were compared to Eibar by our foot-constantly-in-mouth Gambian

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

benteke wrote:

You do realize that the rules have been changed since these predictions were made? Leicester is not in the same situation that Manchester City was for three years, when it was unseeded and thus had at least two heavyweight teams in its group every year and had difficulty qualifying.

The rule change means that all league champions are automatically the top seeds in their groups, which also means that Leicester does not find itself in a group with European heavyweights.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:

You do realize that the rules have been changed since these predictions were made? Leicester is not in the same situation that Manchester City was for three years, when it was unseeded and thus had at least two heavyweight teams in its group every year and had difficulty qualifying.

The rule change means that all league champions are automatically the top seeds in their groups, which also means that Leicester does not find itself in a group with European heavyweights.
Excuse #1

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

tfco wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:

Excuse #1
:rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Lets quit all this jaw-jawing...

Let those who predict Leicester is "an Atleti" and would go all the way to the final say so now...

Either Leicester is "an Atleti" or they are not...

My opinion: Leicester is nowhere an equivalent of Atleti.

However, that does not imply Leicester cannot make the final of the 2016/17 Champions League.

It implies Leicester will not make the final of the 2016/17 Champions League.
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Lets quit all this jaw-jawing...

Let those who predict Leicester is "an Atleti" and would go all the way to the final say so now...

However, that does not imply Leicester cannot make the final of the 2016/17 Champions League.

Why should Leicester go all the way to the Final at their first attempt at the CL competition, did Atletico achieve that feat ?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
tfco wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:

Excuse #1
:rotf:
Hiding behind rule changes :laugh:
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

So you just answered the issue here. Leicester is no Atletico Madrid, not when it comes to how they play or status. A victory over Bugges does not come close to validating this ridiculous comparison

This news article is a typical example of the English press's tendency to hype their teams up when in fact they aren't as good as the hype target - in this case Atleti

benteke wrote:

Why should Leicester go all the way to the Final at their first attempt at the CL competition, did Atletico achieve that feat ?
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

YUJAM wrote:So you just answered the issue here. Leicester is no Atletico Madrid, not when it comes to how they play or status. A victory over Bugges does not come close to validating this ridiculous comparison

This news article is a typical example of the English press's tendency to hype their teams up when in fact they aren't as good as the hype target - in this case Atleti

benteke wrote:

Did Altetico Madrid go all the way to the Final on their first attempt at the CL ?
Besides that has nothing to do with how similar both play.

Anyway all i see here is the start of excuses and moving of goalposts :biggrin:
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

benteke wrote:
YUJAM wrote:So you just answered the issue here. Leicester is no Atletico Madrid, not when it comes to how they play or status. A victory over Bugges does not come close to validating this ridiculous comparison

benteke wrote:

Did Altetico Madrid go all the way to the Final on their first attempt at the CL ?

The comparison is ludicrous.
Atleti has earned their place at the table of the elite in Europe.
Atleti is one of the most feared sides at the moment...

Leicester is a one-season anomaly.

Comparing Leicester with Atleti is like comparing Greece with Italy simply because Greece at 2004 Euros successfully employed a version of catennacio...

BTW didn't the English media once declare Sterling better than Ozil?
- Bill Shankly
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:

benteke wrote:

Comparing Leicester with Atleti is like comparing Greece with Italy simply because Greece at 2004 Euros successfully employed a version of catennacio...

Stop shifting goalposts lads.
Nobody said Leicester is of the same status as Atletico Madrid
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:

benteke wrote:

Stop shifting goalposts lads.
Thank you for the clarification, assuming by status you mean quality.

Otherwise, the comparison is ludicrous.

And I'll gladly eat humble pie if another anomaly occurs and Leicester makes the final of the Champs League 2016/17.
Keyword: anomaly.
- Bill Shankly
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote: Stop shifting goalposts lads.
:clap:

People should go back to page 1 and read the quote that got our Gambian foaming at the mouth
Even if their match ended Atletico (5-0) LCFC.....
It still will not change my opinion that both styles are similar - surrender possession and hit them on the counter.

Just like Leicester City, the speed and incision of Atlético’s sudden attacks was also striking and there was an early scare when Torres broke behind the Bayern defence and had his shot deflected onto the crossbar before the assistant referee’s offside flag had been noticed. Gabi twice also tested Manuel Neuer with powerful strikes from just outside Bayern’s penalty area

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

@FATHER TIKO so if Leicester make the Cl final then you will say they play similar to Atleti?
Can you even bet that the same Atleti can make this year 2016/2017 CL final?
Atleti is a better team with good quality but they are similar team interms of style of play,Arsenal used to be compare with Barca is ball possession in England that does not mean Arsenal is same level with Barca interms of quality.Bayern under Pep is playing too much possession like his Barca and same now with City playing possession like Barca,it can be compare....
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

kajifu wrote:@FATHER TIKO so if Leicester make the Cl final then you will say they play similar to Atleti?
Can you even bet that the same Atleti can make this year 2016/2017 CL final?
Atleti is a better team with good quality but they are similar team interms of style of play,Arsenal used to be compare with Barca is ball possession in England that does not mean Arsenal is same level with Barca interms of quality.Bayern under Pep is playing too much possession like his Barca and same now with City playing possession like Barca,it can be compare....
My bro, if Leicester makes the Champs League Final 2016/17, I'll happily eat humble-pie...

But Leicester is one million miles away from Atleti...Atleti's playing style is way more intricate than Leicester's...
The gulf in quality is like the Grand Canyon...

Arsenal & Barca is a plausible comparison...Comparing Leicester & Atleti is like comparing Swansea with Barca...

Mind you, I'm rooting for Leicester in this season's Champs League...I loooovee the under-dog!!
- Bill Shankly
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

tfco wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:

Excuse #1
It is not an excuse. You may not like it, but it is a fact. When people make predictions, it is based on how the rules are constituted at that time of the prediction. The draw for this year's CL is based on the new rules: league champions are automatically seeded.

Even the rule changes still don't guarantee that Leicester will make it out of the group, but it is significantly easier than being grouped with Juventus, Sevilla, and Monchengladbach (which were in Man City's group last year when the EPL champions were not automatically top seeds).