Cybereagles
http://forum.cybereagles.com/

The English press now comparing LC and Atleti
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=271390
Page 1 of 6

Author:  YUJAM [ Tue May 03, 2016 10:50 pm ]
Post subject:  The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season

Author:  benteke [ Tue May 03, 2016 10:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

I have a sneaky feeling we will be bumping this thread up a lot during next season's Champions League campaign, like how we kept bumping up the thread where naysayers declared that Leicester is water that will find it's level in the EPL season :biggrin: :taunt:

Author:  Chimurenga Rebel [ Tue May 03, 2016 10:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


Yujam I think it's a valid comparison. Both teams of limited means punching above their weight.

Author:  YUJAM [ Tue May 03, 2016 11:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Nah man. The comparison is about style which is not valid IMO. But the English love to inject themselves in the success of others 8-)

Here is what I just read on the Telegraph:

Quote:
Just like Leicester City, the speed and incision of Atlético’s sudden attacks was also striking and there was an early scare when Torres broke behind the Bayern defence and had his shot deflected onto the crossbar before the assistant referee’s offside flag had been noticed. Gabi twice also tested Manuel Neuer with powerful strikes from just outside Bayern’s penalty area.


Truth is Atleti's counter style is far more sophisticated and varied than LC's. I love La Liga and have watched enough of LC this season to know that the comparison above is simply not valid

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... avy-penal/
Gudo wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


Yujam I think it's a valid comparison. Both teams of limited means punching above their weight.

Author:  truetalk [ Tue May 03, 2016 11:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


I won't call it mediocre, and I don't care about this Laliga vs EPL nonsense.

Man City and Liverpool are still in the mix in Europe.

The Leicester side has 5-6 world class players. Players who just failed to make the grade 6-10 years ago in top clubs (e.g. Huth) and players like Schmiechel, Kante and Mahrez who were still growing and maturing when Leicester got them.

I'm not saying they are as good as Athleti, but they are similar. Like Athleti, The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (synergy), and in the second half of the season, they have become very difficult to score against.

I won't bet against Leicester and Spurs making it out of the group stages of the Champions league, if the teams are not broken up, and key additions can be made to account for the increased number of games.

Author:  amafolas [ Tue May 03, 2016 11:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

truetalk wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


I won't call it mediocre, and I don't care about this Laliga vs EPL nonsense.

Man City and Liverpool are still in the mix in Europe.

The Leicester side has 5-6 world class players. Players who just failed to make the grade 6-10 years ago in top clubs (e.g. Huth) and players like Schmiechel, Kante and Mahrez who were still growing and maturing when Leicester got them.

I'm not saying they are as good as Athleti, but they are similar. Like Athleti, The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (synergy), and in the second half of the season, thy have become very difficult to score against.

I won;t bet against Leicester and Spurs making it out of the group stages of the Champions league, if the teams are not broken up, and key additions can be made to account for the increased number of games.


I will. managing UCL and EPL is not easy oh. Your squad has to get much bigger. I will be shocked if LC does anything in next years champs league.

Author:  Globero [ Tue May 03, 2016 11:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

amafolas wrote:
truetalk wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


I won't call it mediocre, and I don't care about this Laliga vs EPL nonsense.

Man City and Liverpool are still in the mix in Europe.

The Leicester side has 5-6 world class players. Players who just failed to make the grade 6-10 years ago in top clubs (e.g. Huth) and players like Schmiechel, Kante and Mahrez who were still growing and maturing when Leicester got them.

I'm not saying they are as good as Athleti, but they are similar. Like Athleti, The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (synergy), and in the second half of the season, thy have become very difficult to score against.

I won;t bet against Leicester and Spurs making it out of the group stages of the Champions league, if the teams are not broken up, and key additions can be made to account for the increased number of games.


I will. managing UCL and EPL is not easy oh. Your squad has to get much bigger. I will be shocked if LC does anything in next years champs league.


Its not impossible, especially if their goal in the EPL is not necessarily to win it like they did this year.
Plus as EPL winners, they get to be seeded, which means they "probably" will get one other big team at best.
Not saying they will make it out, but its not impossible if their group is favorable.

Author:  Chimurenga Rebel [ Wed May 04, 2016 12:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

I have a feeling Yujam and other haters of the EPL are going to get very upset in the champions league next season. Please bookmark this thread :taunt:

Author:  Vincent. [ Wed May 04, 2016 12:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

truetalk wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


I won't call it mediocre, and I don't care about this Laliga vs EPL nonsense.

Man City and Liverpool are still in the mix in Europe.

The Leicester side has 5-6 world class players. Players who just failed to make the grade 6-10 years ago in top clubs (e.g. Huth) and players like Schmiechel, Kante and Mahrez who were still growing and maturing when Leicester got them.

I'm not saying they are as good as Athleti, but they are similar. Like Athleti, The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (synergy), and in the second half of the season, thy have become very difficult to score against.

I won;t bet against Leicester and Spurs making it out of the group stages of the Champions league, if the teams are not broken up, and key additions can be made to account for the increased number of games.

Who are these world class players? :rotf: :rotf:

As for the comparisons, Leicester and Atletico are not similar. The problem people have is that they watch Atletico a couple of times in the Champions League and a couple of times against Barca and Real Madrid and start drawing conclusions. The style of play is different. Atletico don't play a lot of long balls - they prefer to pass their way out of defense, preferably along the touch-line. Their counter-attacks are swift and speedy, but the ball is mostly on the ground and it involves a lot of quick passes (that is not the same as Leicester launching the ball to Vardy). Their level of intensity is also insane.

Another difference is that Atletico, unlike Leicester, did not just come out of nowhere. They are traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid, although they struggled for about 10 years before they started winning the Europa League about 5 years ago and raised the bar when Simeone arrived. This is their second Champions League final in three years. They won La Liga two years ago.

In short, Leicester is an underdog that came from nowhere to win the EPL while Atletico is a Spanish giant that recently woke from its slumber (as I said, they traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid). There is very little comparison with Leicester in terms of status and style of play.

Author:  YUJAM [ Wed May 04, 2016 12:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Yup. Only folks who haven't watched Atleti a lot would make such a comparison. They aren't similar at all. Their styles could not be more different

Vincent. wrote:
truetalk wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


I won't call it mediocre, and I don't care about this Laliga vs EPL nonsense.

Man City and Liverpool are still in the mix in Europe.

The Leicester side has 5-6 world class players. Players who just failed to make the grade 6-10 years ago in top clubs (e.g. Huth) and players like Schmiechel, Kante and Mahrez who were still growing and maturing when Leicester got them.

I'm not saying they are as good as Athleti, but they are similar. Like Athleti, The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (synergy), and in the second half of the season, thy have become very difficult to score against.

I won;t bet against Leicester and Spurs making it out of the group stages of the Champions league, if the teams are not broken up, and key additions can be made to account for the increased number of games.

Who are these world class players? :rotf: :rotf:

Leicester and Atletico are not similar. The problem people have is that they watch Atletico a couple of times in the Champions League and a couple of times against Barca and Real Madrid and start drawing conclusions. The style of play is different. Atletico don't play a lot of long balls - they prefer to pass their way out of defense, preferably along the touch-line. Their counter-attacks are swift and speedy, but the ball is mostly on the ground and it involves a lot of quick passes (that is not the same as Leicester launching the ball to Vardy). Their level of intensity is also insane.

Another difference is that Atletico, unlike Leicester, did not just come out of nowhere. They are traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid, although they struggled for about 10 years before they started winning the Europa League about 5 years ago and raised the bar when Simeone arrived. This is their second Champions League final in three years. They won La Liga two years ago.

In short, Leicester is an underdog that came from nowhere to win the EPL while Atletico is a Spanish giant that recently woke from its slumber (as I said, they traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid). There is very little comparison with Leicester in terms of status and style of play.

Author:  Bigpokey24 [ Wed May 04, 2016 12:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

They both play the same way, but madrid is a much better team

Author:  juventuss [ Wed May 04, 2016 12:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

LC is your MBenz E-550 Very good,
Atleti is your MBenz E63 AMG-S. Faster, louder, meaner.

Author:  benteke [ Wed May 04, 2016 12:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Vincent. wrote:
truetalk wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


I won't call it mediocre, and I don't care about this Laliga vs EPL nonsense.

Man City and Liverpool are still in the mix in Europe.

The Leicester side has 5-6 world class players. Players who just failed to make the grade 6-10 years ago in top clubs (e.g. Huth) and players like Schmiechel, Kante and Mahrez who were still growing and maturing when Leicester got them.

I'm not saying they are as good as Athleti, but they are similar. Like Athleti, The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (synergy), and in the second half of the season, thy have become very difficult to score against.

I won;t bet against Leicester and Spurs making it out of the group stages of the Champions league, if the teams are not broken up, and key additions can be made to account for the increased number of games.

Who are these world class players? :rotf: :rotf:

As for the comparisons, Leicester and Atletico are not similar. The problem people have is that they watch Atletico a couple of times in the Champions League and a couple of times against Barca and Real Madrid and start drawing conclusions. The style of play is different. Atletico don't play a lot of long balls - they prefer to pass their way out of defense, preferably along the touch-line. Their counter-attacks are swift and speedy, but the ball is mostly on the ground and it involves a lot of quick passes (that is not the same as Leicester launching the ball to Vardy). Their level of intensity is also insane.

Another difference is that Atletico, unlike Leicester, did not just come out of nowhere. They are traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid, although they struggled for about 10 years before they started winning the Europa League about 5 years ago and raised the bar when Simeone arrived. This is their second Champions League final in three years. They won La Liga two years ago.

In short, Leicester is an underdog that came from nowhere to win the EPL while Atletico is a Spanish giant that recently woke from its slumber (as I said, they traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid). There is very little comparison with Leicester in terms of status and style of play.




I think the real problem here is actually that some of you don't watch Leicester a lot, these days in the EPL even your traditional notorious long ball teams like Stoke City are playing a lot of crisp passing football,

There is a big debate currently going on as to how Leicester have pulled this off, but it's not far fetched to say there are some similarities with Atletico.

Author:  truetalk [ Wed May 04, 2016 1:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

YUJAM wrote:
Yup. Only folks who haven't watched Atleti a lot would make such a comparison. They aren't similar at all. Their styles could not be more different

Vincent. wrote:
truetalk wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


I won't call it mediocre, and I don't care about this Laliga vs EPL nonsense.

Man City and Liverpool are still in the mix in Europe.

The Leicester side has 5-6 world class players. Players who just failed to make the grade 6-10 years ago in top clubs (e.g. Huth) and players like Schmiechel, Kante and Mahrez who were still growing and maturing when Leicester got them.

I'm not saying they are as good as Athleti, but they are similar. Like Athleti, The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (synergy), and in the second half of the season, thy have become very difficult to score against.

I won;t bet against Leicester and Spurs making it out of the group stages of the Champions league, if the teams are not broken up, and key additions can be made to account for the increased number of games.

Who are these world class players? :rotf: :rotf:

Leicester and Atletico are not similar. The problem people have is that they watch Atletico a couple of times in the Champions League and a couple of times against Barca and Real Madrid and start drawing conclusions. The style of play is different. Atletico don't play a lot of long balls - they prefer to pass their way out of defense, preferably along the touch-line. Their counter-attacks are swift and speedy, but the ball is mostly on the ground and it involves a lot of quick passes (that is not the same as Leicester launching the ball to Vardy). Their level of intensity is also insane.

Another difference is that Atletico, unlike Leicester, did not just come out of nowhere. They are traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid, although they struggled for about 10 years before they started winning the Europa League about 5 years ago and raised the bar when Simeone arrived. This is their second Champions League final in three years. They won La Liga two years ago.

In short, Leicester is an underdog that came from nowhere to win the EPL while Atletico is a Spanish giant that recently woke from its slumber (as I said, they traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid). There is very little comparison with Leicester in terms of status and style of play.


You and I were not talking about attacking style. But they are similar in terms of grit, synergy and now, being difficult to score against. It is on the defensive side of the ball, playing without possession and breaking up play in around the danger area, that they are similar. Anyone who does not see this, is not very deep in their analysis of football.



http://statsbomb.com/2016/02/atletico-m ... -the-ball/
Toughest to progress the ball into the danger zone against
Toughest to actually complete a pass in the danger zone
Toughest to carry the ball into the danger zone
Toughest to play a short pass to set up a chance against
2nd (booo!) toughest to get a close shot against
Toughest to get a shot clean through on goal against
Athletico has been spending a lot recently. They have relatively deep pockets and were able to get guys like Mandzukic from Bayern in recent years.

Liecester has now come into some money and if they are able to keep these players, stay injury free like this season, and reinforce the team, they might just be able to compete in Europe next year.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Let me play the Agama Lizard falling from the palm tree a bit.

Especially glad Ndidi is coming into his own in trying to fill the huge vpod left by Kante.

Author:  kajifu [ Wed May 04, 2016 1:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

juventuss wrote:
LC is your MBenz E-550 Very good,
Atleti is your MBenz E63 AMG-S. Faster, louder, meaner.

:agree: :agree: For any one to say they don't share something in common is lying.
they are both hard to beat

Author:  YUJAM [ Wed May 04, 2016 2:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

I am not even sure about the things you listed (grit, synergy etc). Atleti plays very differently from Leicester. Their defensive style is very different too.

Yes Atleti have the best defense in Spain and Europe but that's nothing new

truetalk wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Yup. Only folks who haven't watched Atleti a lot would make such a comparison. They aren't similar at all. Their styles could not be more different

Vincent. wrote:
truetalk wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Unbelievable! :lol:

But that's typical. Not to take anything away from LC but they haven't proved anything other than win a title in a rather mediocre league this season


I won't call it mediocre, and I don't care about this Laliga vs EPL nonsense.

Man City and Liverpool are still in the mix in Europe.

The Leicester side has 5-6 world class players. Players who just failed to make the grade 6-10 years ago in top clubs (e.g. Huth) and players like Schmiechel, Kante and Mahrez who were still growing and maturing when Leicester got them.

I'm not saying they are as good as Athleti, but they are similar. Like Athleti, The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (synergy), and in the second half of the season, thy have become very difficult to score against.

I won;t bet against Leicester and Spurs making it out of the group stages of the Champions league, if the teams are not broken up, and key additions can be made to account for the increased number of games.

Who are these world class players? :rotf: :rotf:

Leicester and Atletico are not similar. The problem people have is that they watch Atletico a couple of times in the Champions League and a couple of times against Barca and Real Madrid and start drawing conclusions. The style of play is different. Atletico don't play a lot of long balls - they prefer to pass their way out of defense, preferably along the touch-line. Their counter-attacks are swift and speedy, but the ball is mostly on the ground and it involves a lot of quick passes (that is not the same as Leicester launching the ball to Vardy). Their level of intensity is also insane.

Another difference is that Atletico, unlike Leicester, did not just come out of nowhere. They are traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid, although they struggled for about 10 years before they started winning the Europa League about 5 years ago and raised the bar when Simeone arrived. This is their second Champions League final in three years. They won La Liga two years ago.

In short, Leicester is an underdog that came from nowhere to win the EPL while Atletico is a Spanish giant that recently woke from its slumber (as I said, they traditionally the third biggest team in Spain after Barca and Real Madrid). There is very little comparison with Leicester in terms of status and style of play.


You and I were not talking about attacking style. But they are similar in terms of grit, synergy and now, being difficult to score against. It is on the defensive side of the ball, playing without possession and breaking up play in around the danger area, that they are similar. Anyone who does not see this, is not very deep in their analysis of football.



http://statsbomb.com/2016/02/atletico-m ... -the-ball/
Toughest to progress the ball into the danger zone against
Toughest to actually complete a pass in the danger zone
Toughest to carry the ball into the danger zone
Toughest to play a short pass to set up a chance against
2nd (booo!) toughest to get a close shot against
Toughest to get a shot clean through on goal against
Athletico has been spending a lot recently. They have relatively deep pockets and were able to get guys like Mandzukic from Bayern in recent years.

Liecester has now come into some money and if they are able to keep these players, stay injury free like this season, and reinforce the team, they might just be able to compete in Europe next year.

Author:  analyzer [ Wed May 04, 2016 3:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Yujam and vincent doing their best to distance their beloved la liga team from LC.

Abeg Vincent, how many times have you watched LC outside of games vs top opposition.. :taunt: :taunt:

Athleti is a glorified LC with significantly better players.. Foundation of their football - tight defense and counter attack is similar IMO.
How they decide to execute can be put up for debate.

Author:  YUJAM [ Wed May 04, 2016 3:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

My brother: I dunno what type of tactics LC play. I simply cannot identify a world class style or pattern, nada. :lol:

One thing is for sure. It is poles apart from the way Atleti play.

I think it is just a big fairy tale and when they jam up with the big boys in Europe next season, maybe I'll be proven wrong :-)

analyzer wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Yujam and vincent doing their best to distance their beloved la liga team from LC.

Abeg Vincent, how many times have you watched LC outside of games vs top opposition.. :taunt: :taunt:

Athleti is a glorified LC with significantly better players.. Foundation of their football - tight defense and counter attack is similar IMO.
How they decide to execute can be put up for debate.

Author:  benteke [ Wed May 04, 2016 7:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

analyzer wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Yujam and vincent doing their best to distance their beloved la liga team from LC.

Abeg Vincent, how many times have you watched LC outside of games vs top opposition.. :taunt: :taunt:

Athleti is a glorified LC with significantly better players.. Foundation of their football - tight defense and counter attack is similar IMO.
How they decide to execute can be put up for debate.


:rotf: true my brother, it's actually funny to watch our resident La Liga overlords getting hot under the collar over this one.

Author:  benteke [ Wed May 04, 2016 7:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Gudo wrote:
I have a feeling Yujam and other haters of the EPL are going to get very upset in the champions league next season. Please bookmark this thread :taunt:


:laugh: my thoughts too sekuru Gudo.
We may be bumping this thread all the way to the Semis :sneaky:

Author:  femibyte [ Wed May 04, 2016 9:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

My brother Yujam hating on the EPL again. What's new ? Peep this though Yus, could any of the pretenders in La Liga do a Leicester ?
This is what makes the EPL exciting. That a Leicester could happen. And with the new TV deal, the EPL is only gonna get more competitive. More teams like Stoke can afford to buy better players. I predict that the number of points required to win the EPL is going to fall and the gap between the top 3 and the rest will be much less as time goes on. Unlike the trifecta in La Liga who have a stranglehold on the title. Watch this space.

Author:  green4life [ Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

analyzer wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Yujam and vincent doing their best to distance their beloved la liga team from LC.

Abeg Vincent, how many times have you watched LC outside of games vs top opposition.. :taunt: :taunt:

Athleti is a glorified LC with significantly better players.. Foundation of their football - tight defense and counter attack is similar IMO.
How they decide to execute can be put up for debate.


I couldn't have said it better except to add that both LC and Athleti have similarly achieved big success in leagues where the traditional powers outspend them 10 to 1 apiece. Yep. The LC / Atleti comoarison is very apt :thumb:

Author:  airwolex [ Wed May 04, 2016 12:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The English press now comparing LC and Atleti

Well said Truetalk,

I'm sure if you offered Simeone Kante, Mahrez and Casper he wouldn't say no. Also, if he can use Tores he can use Vardy.

Page 1 of 6 All times are UTC + 1 hour
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/