Acid test for Pep Guardiola next season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Acid test for Pep Guardiola next season

Post by airwolex »

spastic wrote:
King Futcha wrote:We can't for 'your club' to start off hot next season, you to brag, them to collapse, you to dissapear.
You've got me confused. I didn't brag at all. But if our team is set this summer, ill be excited.

Not a fan of some of our links, but Bernado Silva and Ederson Moraes is liquid gold!

Not so excited about the fullback links. But if we can top off the fullback acquisitions with Sanchez or Mbappe. Then fosho, I think we'll be in it on final day of the league and an outside chance to make the CL finals.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Checkbook Pep wants Sanchez as well. Willing to pay 1 billion dollars for his signature.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

spastic wrote:I see the anti-Pep crew are in full flare:

Anyway, haters gonna hate. Cant wait for next season.

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

2 acquisitions done, 5 more to go. And for what its worth, the purchases are really an attempt to Challenge for Champs League. Not the league. We failed to achieve our goal of winning the league last year. but the problems were easy to spot:

Worst save per goal ratio in league
2nd worst save ratio by a goalie in the league- simply put Bravo lost form this year. had we had the save ratio of a mid-table keeper, we'd have finish a point behind Chelsea. the acquisition of Moraes should fix that. I worry about his ball skills though.

Aging fullbacks
we went into the season knowing we had a problem at fullback last year, tried to move Kolarov and Zabaleta to Inter and Fernabache respectively, but both deals fell thru. So we couldn't bring in younger fitter fullbacks who fit the mode. fortunately 3 of our 4 over 30 fullbacks were on their last year. So a clear out this season was always on the card. Albeit I am not impressed with the interests I am seeing. Walker is Ok. I'd have gone for Benjamin Henrichs, Ricardo Perreira or Nelson Seemed myself. Dani Alves is a Champions League and "he knows how I think" link. As an ageist myself, I am strictly anti buying players over.30. I think its a risk and they are often worse for moving. Besides it is easier to play in Italy where the game is slow as hell.Past their prime players can look mint playing in Italy.

At LB I'd have considered Alex Grimaldi, and Jonas Hector over Mendy, I am nt a big fan of average technical player, I think Mendy is not that technically sound. He is an attacking force , a physical specimen and probably will easily be the best crossing fullback if we get him. But his general football intelligence and tactical wawareness needs a lot of work. Betrand might actually be the safest of all 4 interests. An all round good player who isn't exceptional at anything.

I think solving there weakness at keeper and fullback should put us right there at the end of the coming season challenging Tottenham and Liverpool for the Title. If Chelsea sort tut there striker issue, they may be in it too. But I genuinely think its a 3 way race, especially if we are able to make the Sanchez deal happen. As that move will automatically end Arsenal's chances.

Anyway, just popping in to see the guys :D

Another EPL myth, often propagated by folks who on close examination do not watch the league...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

airwolex wrote:
spastic wrote:
King Futcha wrote:We can't for 'your club' to start off hot next season, you to brag, them to collapse, you to dissapear.
You've got me confused. I didn't brag at all. But if our team is set this summer, ill be excited.

Not a fan of some of our links, but Bernado Silva and Ederson Moraes is liquid gold!

Not so excited about the fullback links. But if we can top off the fullback acquisitions with Sanchez or Mbappe. Then fosho, I think we'll be in it on final day of the league and an outside chance to make the CL finals.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Checkbook Pep wants Sanchez as well. Willing to pay 1 billion dollars for his signature.
Checkbook Pep? I take it that is as opposed to others who strictly play academy players :? Some of this ysbbis set :boo: :boo: :boo:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Javi...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

txj wrote:
benteke wrote:
txj wrote:
benteke wrote:
txj wrote:
benteke wrote:
txj wrote:Paul Pogba £89.25m
Henrikh Mkhitaryan £35.70m
Eric Bailly £32.30m
Zlatan Ibrahimovic: 12.5m (Yes, free transfer, but we know nothing is for free! How much is his annual salary? 240k/wk, which is 12.5m)

Total: 169.75
:rotf: Zlatan is free free free, no signing on fee, simply free.

I am surprised how you are clutching straws.

Otherwise you will have to include everyone else's wage bill because they are not playing for FREE :laugh:

* Plus for Pep's signings i took great care to use the lowest figures i could ever spot on the internet because i was expecting trouble on CE :thumbs:
True there is no transfer fee involved, but you compensate for that in salaries. Salaries, as in wages, compensation.... Understand?

That's how 'free transfers' work, bro...

12.5m pa.
NOOOO , you are not wriggling out of this one.

Zero transfer fees for Zlatan.

Otherwise please include the annual wages of everyone else, stop ignoring my simple request :thumbs:

The point that appears lost to you is that there is no such thing as a 'free' transfer...and indeed the fact that no money exchanges hands between the two clubs is often reflected in the wages'

Same for Zlatan at Uniyed; same for Matip at Liverpool.

And yes, we can include wages for everybody (or remove Zlatans' and you are still ahead of City!). That just increases the total expenditure for everybody...

Dude, you still at it !

When you include wages for every single transfer you are working on double the amount for those who were signed on big monies.

For Zlatan iBrahimovic, the transfer money is big fat ZERO, basically we working on half what everyone else is paying in total, according to your flawed logic.

Sheezus :biggrin:

Zlatan came on a free transfer, whereas everyone else was signed for big money or some big fee, you can't argue against that. :laugh:
You are a pretty slow guy!

In your club's accounting for 2016, there will be a line item for 12.5m for Zlatan. While it may not be under transfers, it will be accounted for...In otherwords, it is not free...
Tjx's point all along...
https://www.theguardian.com/football/th ... rket-myths
To further illustrate why net spend doesn’t tell you anything about how clubs do business, consider United’s signing of Zlatan Ibrahimovic on a free transfer. While the “net spend” on that deal is zero, he adds well over £10m to Manchester United’s player costs this year.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

the argument was about transfer fees, what Team A pays Team B for a player

transfers + salary = different topic bc then you'd have to add the salaries of ALL the [non-free] transfers

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

tfco wrote:the argument was about transfer fees, what Team A pays Team B for a player

transfers + salary = different topic bc then you'd have to add the salaries of ALL the [non-free] transfers
Why do you waste your time?

they want to be smart but sound stupid. What about bonuses? What about subtracting the money the player makes for the club.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

tfco wrote:the argument was about transfer fees, what Team A pays Team B for a player

Wasn't the argument about what "pep" had spent that season?

The example below shows why it is disingenuous to avoid including the wages of the players in computing what the club spent in a year. The transfer fee alone, (or absence of it) is not the entire picture.
Let’s compare the Mkhitaryan deal to that of another recent Premier League signing from the Bundesliga: Arsenal’s £30m purchase of Granit Xhaka from Borussia Mönchengladbach. Xhaka signed a five-year deal and will reportedly earn around £125,000 per week at Arsenal. The transfer fee will be spread out over Xhaka’s contract at £6m per year (£30m divided evenly over five years). So including Xhaka’s wages, the overall cost to Arsenal is £12m per year.

While the transfer fees for Mkhitaryan and Xhaka are similar, Mkhitaryan is costing Manchester United 50% more than Xhaka is costing Arsenal on an annual basis.
This is how the argument started:
benteke wrote:
Vincent. wrote:
benteke wrote:Pep has already spent £150 million this season transfer window, more than any other manager
Which players did he buy for £150 million?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap:

continue digging

so future discussions about player transfer fees will_have_to_include
a) player wages
b) bonus
c) agent fees
d) insurance costs
e) etc.

gotcha

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

tfco wrote::clap: :clap:

continue digging

so future discussions about player transfer fees will_have_to_include
a) player wages
b) bonus
c) agent fees
d) insurance costs
e) etc.

gotcha

Sure. That can be future discussion, however, we are talking about this 11 page thread. What was the discussion about?

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

How much the Inheritance Merchant spent.

Transfer Fees to acquire his players

What he spent to buy Player A from the selling Team....NOT how much he's paying the player

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Cristao II wrote:

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

2 acquisitions done, 5 more to go. And for what its worth, the purchases are really an attempt to Challenge for Champs League. Not the league. We failed to achieve our goal of winning the league last year. but the problems were easy to spot:

2nd worst save ratio by a goalie in the league- simply put Bravo lost form this year. had we had the save ratio of a mid-table keeper, we'd have finish a point behind Chelsea. the acquisition of Moraes should fix that. I worry about his ball skills though.

Aging fullbacks
we went into the season knowing we had a problem at fullback last year, tried to move Kolarov and Zabaleta to Inter and Fernabache respectively, but both deals fell thru. So we couldn't bring in younger fitter fullbacks who fit the mode. fortunately 3 of our 4 over 30 fullbacks were on their last year. So a clear out this season was always on the card. Albeit I am not impressed with the interests I am seeing. Walker is Ok. I'd have gone for Benjamin Henrichs, Ricardo Perreira or Nelson Seemed myself. Dani Alves is a Champions League and "he knows how I think" link. As an ageist myself, I am strictly anti buying players over.30. I think its a risk and they are often worse for moving. Besides it is easier to play in Italy where the game is slow as hell.Past their prime players can look mint playing in Italy.

At LB I'd have considered Alex Grimaldi, and Jonas Hector over Mendy, I am nt a big fan of average technical player, I think Mendy is not that technically sound. He is an attacking force , a physical specimen and probably will easily be the best crossing fullback if we get him. But his general football intelligence and tactical wawareness needs a lot of work. Betrand might actually be the safest of all 4 interests. An all round good player who isn't exceptional at anything.

I think solving there weakness at keeper and fullback should put us right there at the end of the coming season challenging Tottenham and Liverpool for the Title. If Chelsea sort tut there striker issue, they may be in it too. But I genuinely think its a 3 way race, especially if we are able to make the Sanchez deal happen. As that move will automatically end Arsenal's chances.

**shakes head**

It doesnt take skill to spend the most money to buy as many world class players as one can buy. People do it regularly on FIFA, PES and Football Manager. Let Pep develop a player to success. Man City's academy has been expensively put together.
You mean like Arsene is developing Lacazette, Lemar or Mahrez? Or United Pogba, Big Nose or Lukaku? Or Chelsea with Kante, Costa, Willian or Fabregas. The idiotic notion that one manager is a checkbook manager as another while others who are equally spending to the best of their ability aren't is idiotic at best.

It takes skill to determine who to spend your money on to buy into and fit your philosophy better than the other guys purchases fit their philosophy.

At the highest levels, everyone spends. And those who don't, don't stick around long enough. Ask Leicester.

Spending is necessary for sustained success or better put, sustained opportunity at success. It is not sufficient but necessary. knowing who to spend that money on, how that player fits your philosophy and hoping some good luck comes your way is what is sufficiently required.

Why is Arsenal who doesn't have Champions league tooling up? Why are they after Lacazette, Lemar and Mahrez all at once? Why is Chelsea Matching the offer for Lukaku? It's because everyone buys talent.But here is the truth. There is enough similar talent to be shared amongst the very best. and more are being created every season.

So, yes you have to spend first, then try to out do your opponents with what you've bought.

Pep is no different. Albeit somehow that's unique to some silly folks here.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

txj wrote:

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

Aging fullbacks

Another EPL myth, often propagated by folks who on close examination do not watch the league...
Its not a myth at all. Statistically average distance covered is lowest in the Italian league amongst the top 5 leagues. It's not a myth my friend, its a statistical fact!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

spastic wrote:
txj wrote:

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

Aging fullbacks

Its not a myth at all. Statistically average distance covered is lowest in the Italian league amongst the top 5 leagues. It's not a myth my friend, its a statistical fact!
post the stats please. thanks in advance.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

spastic wrote:
txj wrote:

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

Aging fullbacks

Distance covered vs pace ('slow as hell') = quality of league....

What a statistical relationship!!!

spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

txj wrote:
spastic wrote:
txj wrote:

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

Aging fullbacks

That's in your head bro. The quality may not be lower, the intensity definitely is.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

spastic wrote:
txj wrote:
spastic wrote:
txj wrote:

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

Aging fullbacks

That's in your head bro. The quality may not be lower, the intensity definitely is.
The quality is as high as others, but 'past their prime players look like mint'...
Ok....

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Strong rumor that Dani Alves has rejected Man City and chosen to join PSG. The revolution cannot even attract his old student. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

txj wrote:
spastic wrote:
txj wrote:
spastic wrote:
txj wrote:

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

Aging fullbacks

The quality is as high as others, but 'past their prime players look like mint'...
Ok....

quit trying to be half smart. Part of what makes them look mint is intensity. With a lower intensity, older player who rely more on experience and less on athleticism look better.

Serie A had 147 players over the age of 30 last year. The average for all other leagues? 102. With the Prem at 116 as the high and Bundesliga at 76 at the low end. By nature of just the share numbers, the Italian league is just simply less intense.

Players say it. When you watch it you see it. Distances covered supports it. And it's the haven for the Oldest players in the top 5 leagues. I mean when all the facts start to dovetail, its' time to give up your unresearched position you rushed to coz you saw the name of the poster.

You should have known better :idea:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

First it was slow as hell
Then it was distance covered
Finally it is intensity

Ok o....

spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

txj wrote:First it was slow as hell
Then it was distance covered
Finally it is intensity

Ok o....
Wait you can't see the connection?

When the intensity of play is higher, the game is played at a faster pace (I.e. opposite of slower pace) which leads to more ground covered (i.e. more distance covered in the same amount of time) Say over an average of a 90 minute period. The disproportionate number of older players accumulating in the Italian league also supports this notion. I.e players get slower when they get older. I don't know if I had to spell that out too. But just in case, I did. Since you are trying hard with your "I'm going to play dumb" antics. OK :|

These are all connected ideas that support each other. But not to worry, let's go with your support free "It's a myth" theory instead.

:agree: it's more likely you are right 8-)
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

tfco wrote:How much the Inheritance Merchant spent.

Transfer Fees to acquire his players

What he spent to buy Player A from the selling Team....NOT how much he's paying the player
The original question was not limited to transfer fees alone. You inserted this limitation. Wages are part of what a team spends on a player.

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Sanchez
Walker
Dani Alves
Mendy
Bertrand
Bernardo Silva*
Ederson Moraes*

Aging fullbacks

Dear Mr. Lilly Livered, here you go again with premature stuff. You obviously haven't learnt a thing from last season where City was blown out of the title race long before Christmas notwithstanding your premature ejaculation after Pep won his first 10 games. I warned you back then to pipe lowly but you no gree calm down until the losing streak which sent you into hiding. Now you are back for more abi? :mrgreen: ... I love how you have written off ManU, Arsenal and Chelsea in July. Carry on buddy :lol: