Acid test for Pep Guardiola next season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Acid test for Pep Guardiola next season

Post by cic old boy »

spastic wrote: True. But in fairness that might be a function of their schedule. They are yet to play any good teams 8-)
Pep said Bournemouth are the best side they've played so far and the rest just played long balls. Could be a dig at you-know-who. :lol:
http://www.naijiant.com/
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

spastic wrote:
oloye wrote:Unless disaster strikes....Pep is gonna walk away with the league title.
Oh lawd! Oloye you said the same after City's first 5 games last year too. Let's calm down a bit and take it game by game. Season still long.
Read carefully not ignoring the if.... It is about the form, two teams have been playing in a direct effective and frightening way....Mancity and Liverpool, if they can sustain the form,no one can stop them. It is that easy....teams simply do not have answers for such a display.

City started well last season and then suffered a terrible sip in form...and then the shenanigan of announcing the incoming of Pep right in the middle Of The season...the distraction was too much.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

OK...I admit, Pep and City have really surprised me. Despite getting rid of some of the big players, and being without Kompany, they are playing some really sweet footie! No Yaya, Hart, Bony, Mangala - no problem. Aguero suspended? Doing just fine. And they are playing well and tough with a bunch of small players with heart and talent....Aguero, Silva, Sterling. Even Fernandinho looks deceptively light-weight.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:OK...I admit, Pep and City have really surprised me. Despite getting rid of some of the big players, and being without Kompany, they are playing some really sweet footie! No Yaya, Hart, Bony, Mangala - no problem. Aguero suspended? Doing just fine. And they are playing well and tough with a bunch of small players with heart and talent....Aguero, Silva, Sterling. Even Fernandinho looks deceptively light-weight.
For now i am not too surprised, remember last season City started the season with 5 straight wins, impressive ones too.
Even the season before it was an even better start with new manager Pellegrini.

Fernandinho is an underrated guy, you can't even tell that he is 31 this year.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

benteke wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:OK...I admit, Pep and City have really surprised me. Despite getting rid of some of the big players, and being without Kompany, they are playing some really sweet footie! No Yaya, Hart, Bony, Mangala - no problem. Aguero suspended? Doing just fine. And they are playing well and tough with a bunch of small players with heart and talent....Aguero, Silva, Sterling. Even Fernandinho looks deceptively light-weight.
For now i am not too surprised, remember last season City started the season with 5 straight wins, impressive ones too.
Even the season before it was an even better start with new manager Pellegrini.

Fernandinho is an underrated guy, you can't even tell that he is 31 this year.

To be honest, I expected Man U to deal with them.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

[
I was a little shocked to read you didn't think we were one of the favorites. Once we got Silky, and JS I knew we'd be hard to play. Then Bravo pretty much sold it for me. We will be a hard out for any team with our squad.

Frankly, Pep Klopp and Tuchel are probably the 3 best coaches in football today. And Klopp's Liverpool is the only team I fear from a tactical point of view. Poch's Spurs from a talent point of view. Everyone else will need luck and a poor performance from City to cope.

We'll get beaten. But I just think we are the most talented team in the league. Have been for 5 straight years now.So when motivated and finally with a true Possession/Gengenpressing, we'd be hard to beat by less talented teams. And almost everyone in the Prem is less talented.. United and Chelsea almost have as good, but their managers don't have the balls to cut baggage. So we are better than them because we have a manager who will chop you regardless of you Rep if you are not up to par!
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

To be honest, I expected Man U to deal with them.
I'm shocked 8-)
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:Pep's never had a start as good as this in Spain or Germany. Anyway, still early doors.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

spastic wrote:[
I was a little shocked to read you didn't think we were one of the favorites. Once we got Silky, and JS I knew we'd be hard to play. Then Bravo pretty much sold it for me. We will be a hard out for any team with our squad.

Frankly, Pep Klopp and Tuchel are probably the 3 best coaches in football today. And Klopp's Liverpool is the only team I fear from a tactical point of view. Poch's Spurs from a talent point of view. Everyone else will need luck and a poor performance from City to cope.

We'll get beaten. But I just think we are the most talented team in the league. Have been for 5 straight years now.So when motivated and finally with a true Possession/Gengenpressing, we'd be hard to beat by less talented teams. And almost everyone in the Prem is less talented.. United and Chelsea almost have as good, but their managers don't have the balls to cut baggage. So we are better than them because we have a manager who will chop you regardless of you Rep if you are not up to par!

I was probably not paying attention to your additions, but was more focused on the mass clearance of core players. Additionally, I didn't count on Sterling playing like Messi...
AFCON 2019 sweet o

spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

I was probably not paying attention to your additions, but was more focused on the mass clearance of core players. Additionally, I didn't count on Sterling playing like Messi...
To be fair, I've been saying it for a while now ( granted, not here but on Bluemoon) that it's the system. We've always had some of the most talented players in the league. But the system and focus aids us greatly now.

There are 3 requirements:
1) High energy
2) Possession skills
3) positioning

Once those 3 are satisfied, you can let talent do what it does best. Yaya failed at 1, Joe Hart and Mangala failedd at 2, so all 3 had to go. Yaya stayed but he is deep down the pecking order.

Even Konpany doesn't make the team. And he is captain. He has been healthy for 2 games now. Pep pretends it's health related, but deep down its coz Ota, JS and Kolarov have owned the CB position. Komp is really surplus to requirement as a full time starter.

I don't know if we'll win the league, but so far the only obstacle we haven't faced are the following:

1) a true Gengenpressing team: Liverpool will be the first test of that
2) Superior talent. Barca will be the first of that
3) And then playing from being behind. We haven't been behind yet this season. So I don't know how we'll react.

But the performance from our players have been spectacular. Folks really need to take time out to watch City. It's unprecedented type of football in the Prem. 8-)
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Spastic, Kompany will step back into that defence in due time and hold it for as long as his body allows. As for true tests, Beloved will be the biggest test of Guardiola's ideology and with be the first ch*k in the armour.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

spastic wrote:

To be fair, I've been saying it for a while now ( granted, not here but on Bluemoon) that it's the system. We've always had some of the most talented players in the league. But the system and focus aids us greatly now.

1) High energy
2) Possession skills
3) positioning

Once those 3 are satisfied, you can let talent do what it does best. Yaya failed at 1, Joe Hart and Mangala failedd at 2, so all 3 had to go. Yaya stayed but he is deep down the pecking order.

Even Konpany doesn't make the team. And he is captain. He has been healthy for 2 games now. Pep pretends it's health related, but deep down its coz Ota, JS and Kolarov have owned the CB position. Komp is really surplus to requirement as a full time starter.

I don't know if we'll win the league, but so far the only obstacle we haven't faced are the following:

3) And then playing from being behind. We haven't been behind yet this season. So I don't know how we'll react.

But the performance from our players have been spectacular. Folks really need to take time out to watch City. It's unprecedented type of football in the Prem
8-)
City won their 1st 5 games last season with big scores, demolishing teams in breathtaking fashion.
They also scored the most goals in the league last season.
I believe it was the same situation the season before.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

spastic wrote:

1) High energy
2) Possession skills
3) positioning

But the performance from our players have been spectacular. Folks really need to take time out to watch City. It's unprecedented type of football in the Prem. 8-)
Not a mention for Arsenal? The only team to beat a Pep era City? :scared: :taunt: :taunt:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

cchinukw wrote:
spastic wrote:

1) High energy
2) Possession skills
3) positioning

Not a mention for Arsenal? The only team to beat a Pep era City? :scared: :taunt: :taunt:
Has Wenger already outmanouvred Pep ? :biggrin:
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

With mourinho, Manchester United should win the league easily
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Guardiola and Yaya at war

Pep Guardiola says he will not pick Yaya Toure for Manchester City again until he apologises to the club and his team-mates for comments made by his agent.

Toure, 33, has made one appearance for City this season and was left out of their Champions League squad by Guardiola earlier this month.

Toure's agent, Dimitri Seluk, said the midfielder had been "humiliated" by Guardiola's decision and that if City did not win the Champions League this season, the former Barcelona manager should "have the balls" to apologise to the midfielder.

"He must apologise to his team-mates. He must apologise to the club," said Guardiola. "If he doesn't, he won't play."
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

spastic wrote:

That game will depend on this who can make the most of that gengenpressing in the 1st half and who gets tired first, Pep's team was there for the taking 2nd half vs Man Utd.

Here's what Ferguson has to say about such tactics:
Alex Ferguson on Jurgen Klopp's tactics

"In the technical report, he praised Liverpool for knocking Sevilla out of their stride in the first half of last season’s final in Basel, which they lost 3-1.

But he said that they were incapable of sustaining their intense pressure. “In the second half Liverpool had no energy, they could not get to the ball,” he said. “The space in midfield became bigger.

I never had a team who could press a ball all season.”

Liverpool led after 35 minutes in Switzerland, through Daniel Sturridge, but lost to second half goals from Kevin Gameiro and Coke.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 44046.html
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

benteke wrote:
spastic wrote:

That game will depend on this who can make the most of that gengenpressing in the 1st half and who gets tired first, Pep's team was there for the taking 2nd half vs Man Utd.

Here's what Ferguson has to say about such tactics:
Alex Ferguson on Jurgen Klopp's tactics

"In the technical report, he praised Liverpool for knocking Sevilla out of their stride in the first half of last season’s final in Basel, which they lost 3-1.

But he said that they were incapable of sustaining their intense pressure. “In the second half Liverpool had no energy, they could not get to the ball,” he said. “The space in midfield became bigger.

I never had a team who could press a ball all season.”

Liverpool led after 35 minutes in Switzerland, through Daniel Sturridge, but lost to second half goals from Kevin Gameiro and Coke.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 44046.html
Pep and Klopp know each other very well from the Bundesliga, so they cannot surprise each other tactically. The only question is how well their new teams will be able to express their tactical ideas on the pitch.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

spastic wrote:But the performance from our players have been spectacular. Folks really need to take time out to watch City. It's unprecedented type of football in the Prem. 8-)
:lol: :lol: GTFOH

Congratulations on beating West Ham, Stoke, and Bournemouth with unprecedented football.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

CONTE: GUARDIOLA ONLY BETTER THAN ME BECAUSE HE HAS IT EASY AT MAN CITY

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte believes Pep Guardiola's perfect start to life at Manchester City is down to the Catalan having it easy at the Etihad Stadium.

The former Italy coach believes that friendlier surroundings, aided by a strong Spanish presence, meant Guardiola was always more likely to enjoy a superior start.

"I think that Manchester City they are playing similar football to what they played in the past," Conte told reporters. "You must see what type of tactical situation you find [when taking over a club].

"That is because the directors of football are Spanish and they bought a lot of players who are used to this idea of football and these tactics. I think it is a bit easier for his players to get stuck into his ideas."

http://m.goal.com/s/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... ook.com%2F
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

The YeyeMan wrote:
spastic wrote:But the performance from our players have been spectacular. Folks really need to take time out to watch City. It's unprecedented type of football in the Prem. 8-)
:lol: :lol: GTFOH

Congratulations on beating West Ham, Stoke, and Bournemouth with unprecedented football.
notice how he has been absent from the forum

lol

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

must be part of The Revolution we've been reading here on CE

City (1-1) Everton

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by tfco on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Even the Greats borrow from the Gods. Sam "lightyears ahead" Allardyce would've bagged the points deep into the twelfth round. Whipped cross from Stelios, drilled cut back by d#$% Gardner, did someone day long throw? Kevin Davies on the keeper, only one winner.

Twas never going to be easy for Peperende and after Barca dash am sugar, sugar, baby o...ehennnnn!