Acid test for Pep Guardiola next season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Acid test for Pep Guardiola next season

Post by tfco »

it is a results business

Ask any Bayern fan today what they think about the past 3 seasons and i do not think it will be good news.

YUJAM wrote:You would be well served by going out and doing some learning before jumping to respond. You should learn more about Pep's coaching methods. :idea:
tfco wrote:
YUJAM wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pep will be fine. The guy is tops when it comes to getting his team to play at a high tempo and interesting tactical variances. He will be fine and will revolutionize English football
Scipio Africanus wrote:Pep will find it difficult to make top 4 with Man City next season. In fact, I don't think he will.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

...by getting City to play the ball on the ground (the right way) contrary to the kick/rush they've been playing under their previous colo-mental managers

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Three league titles among other titles and three semis in the Champs league. Plus an exciting brand of football.

tfco wrote:it is a results business

Ask any Bayern fan today what they think about the past 3 seasons and i do not think it will be good news.

YUJAM wrote:You would be well served by going out and doing some learning before jumping to respond. You should learn more about Pep's coaching methods. :idea:
tfco wrote:
YUJAM wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pep will be fine. The guy is tops when it comes to getting his team to play at a high tempo and interesting tactical variances. He will be fine and will revolutionize English football
Scipio Africanus wrote:Pep will find it difficult to make top 4 with Man City next season. In fact, I don't think he will.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

...by getting City to play the ball on the ground (the right way) contrary to the kick/rush they've been playing under their previous colo-mental managers
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Pep is going to win trophies at Man City. He has world class players in most positions apart from defence. Apart from their defence, Man City cannot improve their squad by buying players from any other EPL team. Which EPL players at other clubs are better than Man Citys midfielders and attackers? Hazard is about the only one. It is criminal how much their hugely talented squad has under-achieved.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

YUJAM wrote:Three league titles among other titles and three semis in the Champs league. Plus an exciting brand of football.
Quite right.

I wonder how they fared the season prior to his arrival.

Would you care to check?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

femibyte
Egg
Egg

Post by femibyte »

tfco wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Three league titles among other titles and three semis in the Champs league. Plus an exciting brand of football.
Quite right.

Would you care to check?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

tfco wrote:
Quite right.

Would you care to check?
:laugh: is he still checking
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Bayern was the best team in Europe when they hired Pep, and he took them backwards in CL, that team was a monster that should have dominated CL for 2 or 3 more years and be remembered amongst the greatest, but Pep Guardiola happened.

City hasn't done anything in Europe, they have zero pedigree, so whatever Guardiola does there will most likely be an improvement, money is awash there.
Potential free ride for Pep :biggrin:
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

One season? Maybe you should check the league standings of Bayern before Pep arrived. Pep is the only Bayern coach since 2000 to win the league three times in a row

tfco wrote:
Quite right.

Would you care to check?
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

nice.

i'm sure that's why he was hired. take them to the NEXT LEVEL of winning the treble (3-in-a-row)

YUJAM wrote:One season? Maybe you should check the league standings of Bayern before Pep arrived. Pep is the only Bayern coach since 2000 to win the league three times in a row
tfco wrote:
Quite right.

Would you care to check?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

let's not take MY word for it

There's a little online poll on kicker magazine. Scroll down and see the result

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:

Bayern was the best team in Europe when they hired Pep, and he took them backwards in CL, that team was a monster that should have dominated CL for 2 or 3 more years and be remembered amongst the greatest, but Pep Guardiola happened.
but they play 'exciting brand of football' now, unlike before Pep's arrival. :D

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

cyrilndo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cyrilndo »

tfco wrote:
cyrilndo wrote:All Pep needs to do is buy the right players to complete his team.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ok capain obvious.

name which of the other managers 'does_not_need_to_buy_the_right_players...'

a dumb comment if ever there was one. But that could be the starting point for the Pep-apologists

midget you are too short to understand the comment... :taunt:
Move on to trolling other threads...
" The best way to have a fair judgement on anything is to imagine yourself sitting somewhere in space watching planet earth with the beings that inhabit it, especially those who call themselves homo sapiens. You have no nationality or tribe, you are not a fan of Arsenal, Barca, Inter Milan, Manchester United etc. You won't see a booty or huge boobs if they walk pass you. Money is like tissue to you. what is your opinion? "

This post has been made by camex whom I have ignored.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

oloye wrote:
green4life wrote:He will do fine in England though he and city fans may have to endure some temporary growing pains mostly because their squad needs a revamp and the tangible effects likely won't be seen in his first season.
Let us see him build a team from the scratch, as opposed to the re-engineering he did at Barca and Bayern. Chai i am already drooling at what awaits us footy lovers next season. May Baba God keep us all till then. :thumbs:
Amen to that, Chief.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

tfco wrote:let's not take MY word for it

Was Guardiola a failure in Bavaria? 64% voted yes :scared:
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Of course they did. Bayern was CL finalist in 2010, 2012 and CL winner in 2013. Pep arrived and Bayern was thrashed by Real in 2014 and Barca in 2015 and now lost to Atletico.
If you had to name the top 3 in Europe in the past three seasons an honest answer would be Barca, Real and Atletico (finalist in 2014 and 2016).

BTW Magath was the Bayern coach for 2 1/2 seasons, he won the league and the cup two times in a row (which was a first for Bayern). Bayern was unhappy with his CL performance
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

kofi86 wrote:Of course they did. Bayern was CL finalist in 2010, 2012 and CL winner in 2013. Pep arrived and Bayern was thrashed by Real in 2014 and Barca in 2015 and now lost to Atletico.
shhhh, that was gonna be my next card :D

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

femibyte
Egg
Egg

Post by femibyte »

Pep Guardiola needs EIGHT new players to knock these Manchester City slackers into shape

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... wide%20p$4

Pep Guardiola needs EIGHT new players to knock these Manchester City slackers into shape
20:00, 6 MAY 2016
OPINION BY ROBBIESAVAGE
Mirror Sport columnist Robbie Savage feels Guardiola may have bitten off more than he can chew with at City

Now we are going to find out whether Pep Guardiola is a genius – or whether he has bitten off more than he can chew at Manchester City.

If he didn’t know it before City’s whimpering exit from the Champions League semi-finals, he will know it now after their lacklustre performance against Real Madrid.

He is inheriting an ageing squad and, in my opinion, he will need EIGHT new players to make City a force in both the Premier League and Europe.

One shot on target in 180 minutes in a major semi-final is simply not good enough. They let a huge opportunity to reach the final pass them by.

I was absolutely hammered earlier this season when I said I would pay good money to watch Gareth Bale or Cristiano Ronaldo but not necessarily to watch £54 million Kevin De Bruyne.

What we saw in the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday night highlighted exactly what I was saying. Bale showed up on the big occasion, but De Bruyne – who has had a fine season at domestic level – was only a marginal influence.

City were excellent in Moenchengladbach, Seville and Kiev on their travels, but when the stakes were highest, their big players didn’t come to the party.

Even Sergio Aguero, as good as he is, has now gone 526 minutes without a shot on target in the Champions League. That’s a ridiculous stat for a player of his calibre.

Guardiola inherited well-oiled winning machines at Barcelona and Bayern Munich, but the same can’t be said of City.

He needs to rebuild the team, establish his method on the pitch and win trophies. That’s not going to be a walk in the park.

Jurgen Klopp has brought a new lease of life to some of his Liverpool players in seven months at Anfield – let’s see whether Guardiola can improve City simply through the quality of his coaching, or whether he needs to make wholesale changes.

Any talk of replacing Joe Hart in goal is pure madness. He is still one of the best in the world, and he proved it again in Madrid. On another night, against a lesser keeper, Ronaldo would have had a hat-trick.

If he is 100 per cent fit, Vincent Kompany is still one of the best defenders in Europe. But his fitness record over the last 18 months has not been great, and Guardiola may need to invest in a top-class centre-back – or two, if he doesn’t fancy Eliaquim Mangala or Nicolas Otamendi.

Are Fernandinho and Fernando going to win you the title or the Champions League as holding midfielders? Probably not – so more Pep spending power will be required there.

Will Guardiola stick with £49m Raheem Sterling?
Sorry, but the writing’s on the wall for Sterling after he couldn’t make the starting XI in either leg against Real Madrid.

Wilfied Bony, Martin Demichelis, Aleksandar Kolarov, Jesus Navas?
They don’t look like first-choice Guardiola players to me, while Bacary Sagna, Gael Clichy, Pablo Zabaleta and David Silva have all turned 30.

We are not just talking about a lick of paint here or a new floorboard there: Manchester City’s squad is going to need major surgery to keep their house in order.

It’s by no means certain Guardiola will even be taking over a club in the Champions League next season.

With West Ham and Manchester United still within range of the top four, City dare not lost at home to Arsenal this weekend.

I can’t wait to see a Guardiola team play in the Premier League. And I can’t wait to see how he goes about his work.

On the evidence of a big missed opportunity on Wednesday night, I think the task is bigger than he first imagined
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

wiseone wrote:Pep is going to win trophies at Man City. He has world class players in most positions apart from defence. Apart from their defence, Man City cannot improve their squad by buying players from any other EPL team. Which EPL players at other clubs are better than Man Citys midfielders and attackers? Hazard is about the only one. It is criminal how much their hugely talented squad has under-achieved.
You obviously haven't been paying attention.
- ManCity have no fullbacks. Kolarov/Zabaleta are done (Clichy and Sagna are old)
- Mancity have 1 quality CB and he is nowadays often injured. Mangala and Otamendi are not very good.
- At best, one of F&F is good enough.
- they have not one but 2 brainless speedstars (yes I'm talking about Navas and Sterling)
- Aguero + Nacho is all they have upfront. Aguero is Aguero but he won't go a whole season without injuries.
- Silva hasn't played much this season. Who knows what form he will be in next season?

Their squad needs major refurb. There are like 4 or 5 players (Hart, Kompany, KDB, Aguero, Nacho, Silva). The rest are so so.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

green4life wrote:

You are surprised. I'm not. I'm surprised it is only 64%.

He has not been popular in Germany for a while now. Many of his signings have not taken them to the next level of Barca and Real Madrid.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Waffiman wrote:
green4life wrote:

You are surprised. I'm not. I'm surprised it is only 64%.

He has not been popular in Germany for a while now. Many of his signings have not taken them to the next level of Barca and Real Madrid.
The problem is that before he took over Bayern eliminated Madrid in 2012 and thrashed Barca in 2013. Most would have been happy if Bayern just stayed at the same level relative to Barca or Madrid. But Atletico has arguably passed them.

And while many are happy about Vidal or Kimmich, there are a lot of concers about Thiago and Götze so far.

Most Bayern fans I know are relieved that Pep leaves as the negatives (begin to) outweigh the positives.
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
femibyte
Egg
Egg

Post by femibyte »

Fantastic article outlining the scale of the task awaiting Guardiola.

Pep Guardiola needs to adapt his style for Manchester City after latest Champions League loss (but tiki-taka isn't dead yet)

We've been here before. Tiki-taka has undergone a number of deaths in the last few years. And don't forget that Pep Guardiola hates the phrase itself. 'I loathe all that passing for the sake of it, all that tiki-taka' he once said. 'It's so much rubbish and has no purpose.'
But in the wake of Diego Simeone's Atletico Madrid knocking out the second-best team in Europe, having already disposed of the best, and now with opportunity, finally, to dispose of neighbours and rivals Real Madrid in the final, it is apposite to ask whether Guardiola needs to move on.
Leicester City winning the Premier League adds heft to the argument. A raft of Premier League teams, infinitely inferior to Barcelona and yet trying to ape the way they play, have been caught out this season on the counter by a bog standard 4-4-2.

But think back to 2012. Chelsea won the Champions League playing the Simeone way. Think back to the 2014 World Cup and Holland 5 Spain 1, back to the days when Louis van Gaal was hailed a tactical visionary. The cracks in Guardiola's vision as to how the game should be played appeared long ago. Indeed, since the beginning of modern football, if you really want to trace it deep to Helenio Herrera and catenaccio. And with delicious irony, Herrera, the original Sith Lord of counter-attacking football, coached Barcelona twice in his career, in the days before they became the Jedi knights of possession football.
To attack or to counter is one of the fundamental questions of football. Which way you go may, of course, be determined by your resources. Guardiola has always had the best, so he has been able to indulge his idealism. But he really does see something slightly wrong with winning the game reactively. You imagine that he would view a victory secured with 27 per cent of the possession as somehow dirty. And there is a streak of intransigence in him.

Let's be clear, before this descends into one of those discussions as to how Guardiola has 'failed' at Bayern Munich or how he has been 'found out' as a coach: Guardiola has changed football in the last eight years and not just through possession football. The intensity and direction of his passing is what rebooted Spanish football. Yet even his supporters would have to admit that there has been a degree of failure at Bayern, because the Champions League has been their goal and they have fallen short.
That said, if he stayed on, as Bayern wished him to, for another two years, he would probably get there. You don't reach three successive semi-finals simply on the basis of your status as world's most-iconic manager. It takes some doing: likewise, seven Champions League semi-finals in seven years of coaching. Just the two wins in the Champions League, of course. Now you can view that as five failures if you wish, but you'd have to be peculiarly small-hearted.

And many at Bayern, from fans in the stands to executives in the boardroom, will tell you that their football has moved on to another level under Guardiola. He introduced ways of playing and concepts they wouldn't have considered. Some fans are grumpy: witness the banner reading 'Pep was never our thing,' displayed after his move to Manchester City was announced. But others have appreciated the infinite variety of the team's creativity.
On a more base level, there is no doubt Bayern are more of a global player than they were even when winning the Treble under Jupp Heynckes. It's not right that the handsome, young, elegant coach should attract more attention than the old, experienced hand who actually achieved more. But there it is. He did and clubs have to weigh these factors, even if you hope that football success will always be the predominant criteria.
On the down side, Guardiola is being caught out by the same trick repeatedly. You can trace it back to Roberto Di Matteo's Chelsea in 2012. That should have been an exceptional semi-final, but it has actually become the default for opponents of teams schooled by Guardiola.
Guardiola quit Barca that summer but his successor, the late Tito Vilanova, took over and followed pretty much the same blueprint. Bayern, under Heynckes, overwhelmed them in the 2013 semi-final, 7-0 on aggregate. In the game they won 4-0, Bayern had 37 per cent of the possession playing in a style that had been more influenced by Jurgen Klopp's Borussia Dortmund, who in turn had been influenced by Ralf Rangnick's Hoffenheim. There was intensity in the pressing and far more early balls than Barca would ordinarily consider.
Guardiola was back in the competition in 2014, but his Bayern side experienced the same kind of drubbing that his old Barca team had, beaten 5-0 on aggregate by Carlo Ancelotti's Real Madrid. Wily old Carlo. He's not really a natural counter-attacker but he knows how to win a game. When Real Madrid won 4-0 at the Allianz Arena, they had 36 per cent of the possession. And, that year, all of the glory.
Last year it was Barcelona who did for Guardiola. The aggregate score of 5-3 looks close. And it is true that the tie was in the balance at 0-0 in the first leg. But in reality, once Lionel Messi and then Neymar took control with those glorious late goals in the last 13 minutes at the Nou Camp, it was all over at 3-0. And you might argue this was therefore a reassertion of tiki-taka, or of Guardiola's and Barca's values; just that they had turned their guns on him.
Except that because of the pace and style of Luis Suarez, Luis Enrique's Barca are more likely to play an early ball than Guardiola's Barca were. They have never been a team looking to win on the counter-attack. But they have nuanced their style.

So actually this year's performance by Guardiola represented an upgrade. At least Bayern were in with a shout of making the final until the last kick of the game. If you count Vilanova's team as a team largely built by Guardiola – a little unfair, I know, but it helps makes the point – Guardiola teams have suffered five successive Champions League semi-final knockouts. And three of those have been overwhelming defeats.
Against Chelsea in 2012 and Atletico in 2016 they at least stayed in the game. But ever since Guardiola's Barca changed football, good coaches have been planning the antidote. Guus Hiddink almost strangled Guardiola's baby at birth, back in 2009, when but for the erratic refereeing of Tom Henning Ovrebo, Guardiola might not have progressed to his first Champions League final, which Barca won comfortably against Manchester United.
On some nights – Wembley 2011, for example – Guardiola's team look unplayable. But that is largely when teams try to take them on, as Sir Alex Ferguson did that night. Johan Cruyff always loved that. 'They tried,' he said. 'They did what they had to do. Make their club proud. That's perfect. He (Sir Alex) did what he had to do - go for it - which means he can be proud.' Cruyff was sincere in his sentiments, He really believed that was how you should play. But the dark side of your brain always thought: 'Of course you loved United's approach that night. It played straight into Barca's hands.'
So tiki-taka isn't dead just yet. It ebbs and flows as it always has done in football, until one dominant, charismatic personality – Cruyff, Guardiola – comes to give it a fresh injection of life. And playing on the counter isn't new. But when possession football thrives, like an equal and opposite reaction, a fresh wave of excellent countering teams will be born.
Guardiola is beatable and rather like the courtiers urging King Canute to hold back the tide, we were foolish to idolise him so much to suggest that he ever wasn't. But he isn't a fool and a failure. What he does need to do now is nuance his style to suit a Premier League which has been won by Leicester. That task will surely mould him into a coach making more direct passes than he would in Spain and even conceding possession at times. He may find his teams are stronger for it.
And if they are, then, of course, we'll be able to claim for evermore that we taught him all he ever knew in England.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z48KHK52zT
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... d-yet.html
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

People need to dead this tiki-taka nonsense, Pep doesn't play tiki-taka in fact he hates the term.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

amafolas wrote:
wiseone wrote:Pep is going to win trophies at Man City. He has world class players in most positions apart from defence. Apart from their defence, Man City cannot improve their squad by buying players from any other EPL team. Which EPL players at other clubs are better than Man Citys midfielders and attackers? Hazard is about the only one. It is criminal how much their hugely talented squad has under-achieved.
You obviously haven't been paying attention.
- ManCity have no fullbacks. Kolarov/Zabaleta are done (Clichy and Sagna are old)
- Mancity have 1 quality CB and he is nowadays often injured. Mangala and Otamendi are not very good.
- At best, one of F&F is good enough.
- they have not one but 2 brainless speedstars (yes I'm talking about Navas and Sterling)
- Aguero + Nacho is all they have upfront. Aguero is Aguero but he won't go a whole season without injuries.
- Silva hasn't played much this season. Who knows what form he will be in next season?

Their squad needs major refurb. There are like 4 or 5 players (Hart, Kompany, KDB, Aguero, Nacho, Silva). The rest are so so.
Pep history of buying wrong players might be expose again.He will struggle and will be fighting hard to win the league.