Azubuike Okechukwu (U23 Captain) Highlights

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Azubuike Okechukwu (U23 Captain) Highlights

Post by wale1974 »

Baller :clap: :clap:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Damunk wrote:
DAgrin wrote:The boy undeservingly fell off the radar in recent months even though he was promoted to the Turkish Super League with his team and plays regulary.
I think he is one of our best central midfielders.
Rohr should give him a look in and see if he can compete with Agu and Ogu what I'm convinced he can.
Apparently he is just recovering from injury.

I found this interesting piece of info:

One of the best in the Turkish league...................Check his stats on whoscored.com

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:You guys are forgetting that Ogu is 29, Onazi 24 while Azubuike is only 20. The law of averages dictates that sooner rather than later, Ogu and Onazi will give way to the likes of Azubuike :!:

Cheers.
it is frustrating that he hasn't even been given a chance.
In my opinion our olympic midfield of Usman, Azubuike and Mikel was better balanced than any of the midfield combinations played by Rohr thus far.
Azubuike was key to the success of that Rio midfield.

Simply put we need a holding midfielder in midfield. Unless Rohr intends to play the counterattacking strategy against every teams we face
Without one we will never be comfortable keeping possession, never comfortable playing the ball out of defence and unable to sustain pressure on the opposition when we are in search of a goal.

I hope Rohr recognizes this by playing mikel deeper or inviting Azubuike to be part of the team

Wilfred Ndidi is our holding midfielder and one of the best players to ever fill the role. other than Muda Lawal and Sunday Oliseh, can you think of two better holding midfielders Nigeria has ever had?
ndidi is not a great holding midfielder
I can think of two better holding midfielders that are currently active
Mikel and Azuibuike
Azubuike is way down the list:

[1] Wilfred Ndidi
[2] Ogenyi Onazi
[3] Joel Obi
[4] John Ogu
[5] Mikel Agu
[6] Oghene Etebo
[7] Anderson Esiti
[8] Raheem Lawal
[9] Abdul Ajagun
[10] Ibrahim Alhassan

In my opinion, he not even among our top 10 holding midfielders.
You are wrong again......................Ajagun is an attacking midfielder not holding.

[1] Wilfred Ndidi
[2] Mikel
[3] Azubuike
[4] Ifeanyi Mathew
[5] Nwakeli
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Azubuike is currently on against Besiktas.
First start after his injury.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

I watched the first half.
I like what I see so far.
The boy has not played one single bad pass. 100% pass accuracy so far.
Keeps possession well and finds good solutions under pressure.
One great final pass that wasn't converted and one chance with a header.
He has features we are missing sometimes. Our players tend to give the ball away to easily. Azubuike is a player who lives from his passing accuracy.

Naija 4 life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

DAgrin wrote:I watched the first half.
I like what I see so far.
The boy has not played one single bad pass. 100% pass accuracy so far.
Keeps possession well and finds good solutions under pressure.

One great final pass that wasn't converted and one chance with a header.
He has features we are missing sometimes. Our players tend to give the ball away to easily. Azubuike is a player who lives from his passing accuracy.
We can certainly do with a MF who keeps possession and passes the ball with such high accuracy.
I like him....even from his old Youtube clips.
Those qualities were quite obvious.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

I rate him, very highly. I believe we would have won the Olympics, if he was available for the match against Germany. Simply vibrant player.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

okidoki wrote:I rate him, very highly. I believe we would have won the Olympics, if he was available for the match against Germany. Simply vibrant player.
Abeg, anyone that can catch Rohr's attention should mention Azubuike.
That kine ball retention nor be beans.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Damunk wrote:
okidoki wrote:I rate him, very highly. I believe we would have won the Olympics, if he was available for the match against Germany. Simply vibrant player.
Good player but I get the feeling Rohr already invited those he liked (Imoh, Etebo, Sadiq) from the olympic team. Didn't like Imoh and Sadiq after inviting them and looking at them closely.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/e ... er-eagles/

The problem with international football is that some players are great at taking their single chances while others who may be very good may take time to settle (e.g. Onyekuru).

It'll be hard to displace any of the current crop of midfielders we have. Some obvious names have different special strengths (For instance Ogu has experience, good ball-holding, good long shots and has a presence in the dressing room and Etebo can play across multiple positions very well). Also if he's better than any of them it's probably marginal too.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

niyi wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Good player but I get the feeling Rohr already invited those he liked (Imoh, Etebo, Sadiq) from the olympic team. Didn't like Imoh and Sadiq after inviting them and looking at them closely.

The problem with international football is that some players are great at taking their single chances while others who may be very good may take time to settle (e.g. Onyekuru).

It'll be hard to displace any of the current crop of midfielders we have. Some obvious names have different special strengths (For instance Ogu has experience, good ball-holding, good long shots and has a presence in the dressing room and Etebo can play across multiple positions very well). Also if he's better than any of them it's probably marginal too.
What about replacing Mikel Agu?
He is yet to establish himself and I do not see what he necessarily brings to the table ahead of others.

Naija 4 life!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The commentators (ex pro players) were raving about him at the Olympics. He is one of those players that only the "educated" fans appreciate because he does things that are hard to "see", but are nonetheless really important to his team (intercepting, breaking up play, retaining possession). He does not score prolifically, dribble, or hit 35 yard free kicks into the top corner, so fans do not always realise how good a player he is. A bit like how Kante was a lower league player in France until EPL teams took a gamble on him, and 2 consecutive EPL titles later...
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

DAgrin wrote:
niyi wrote:
Damunk wrote:

What about replacing Mikel Agu?
He is yet to establish himself and I do not see what he necessarily brings to the table ahead of others.
Honestly, I've really never watched Agu closely but he was good at interceptions and tracking players when he came on vs Zambia. I can't speak on this... I wonder if anyone who's watched both players closely can.

Using whoscored stats are tricky but Mikel Agu is rated higher. These stats are arguably boosted by his offensive actions (goals and assists) and the fact that he plays for a better team.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

wiseone wrote:The commentators (ex pro players) were raving about him at the Olympics. He is one of those players that only the "educated" fans appreciate because he does things that are hard to "see", but are nonetheless really important to his team (intercepting, breaking up play, retaining possession). He does not score prolifically, dribble, or hit 35 yard free kicks into the top corner, so fans do not always realise how good a player he is. A bit like how Kante was a lower league player in France until EPL teams took a gamble on him, and 2 consecutive EPL titles later...

U gotta be kidn. Kante? Gerrarrahia mehn! :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

niyi wrote:Good player but I get the feeling Rohr already invited those he liked (Imoh, Etebo, Sadiq) from the olympic team. Didn't like Imoh and Sadiq after inviting them and looking at them closely.

when did rohr take a look at sadiq? I dont think he has ever seen Sadiq up close.
I have watched Agu, Ogu and Azubuike closely and i can safely tell you Azuibuike is the best DM and Holding midfielder out of the lot
None of those players is as comfortable in possession or makes better passing judgements on the ball than Azubuike
Who scored clearly rates Azubuike above than Agu in terms of pass completion and interceptions
Only area i wouldnt say he is clearly superior to Agu is tackling. Azubuike has never been a clean tackler.
John Ogu's only advantage is his versatility. He can play as a CM or AM if needed.
But he belongs on the bench. Azubuike imho belongs in the SE first team
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

smartbrother wrote:
niyi wrote:Good player but I get the feeling Rohr already invited those he liked (Imoh, Etebo, Sadiq) from the olympic team. Didn't like Imoh and Sadiq after inviting them and looking at them closely.

when did rohr take a look at sadiq? I dont think he has ever seen Sadiq up close.
I have watched Agu, Ogu and Azubuike closely and i can safely tell you Azuibuike is the best DM and Holding midfielder out of the lot
None of those players is as comfortable in possession or makes better passing judgements on the ball than Azubuike
Who scored clearly rates Azubuike above than Agu in terms of pass completion and interceptions
Only area i wouldnt say he is clearly superior to Agu is tackling. Azubuike has never been a clean tackler.
John Ogu's only advantage is his versatility. He can play as a CM or AM if needed.
Are you suggesting Mikel, Ndidi and Azubuike as the first team trio? If so, I would agree with you as I do not have great confidence in Onazi. I however doubt Rohr would go for Azubuike or even Joel Obi at this late stage.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sheikh wrote:
smartbrother wrote:

Are you suggesting Mikel, Ndidi and Azubuike as the first team trio? If so, I would agree with you as I do not have great confidence in Onazi. I however doubt Rohr would go for Azubuike or even Joel Obi at this late stage.
I am not entirely convinced Rohr will consider November 2017 as the 'late stage' for next year's World Cup.
There's lots to play for by all concerned.

Rohr has made it clear that he is still looking for players to take the team to an even higher level.
It seems as if it is the fans that are becoming complacent and allowing sentiment to rule.
The hard truth is that our team can still be so much better if we keep looking, trying out new players, new formations.

No room for sentiment in football. It seems Rohr wants to make a statement for both Nigeria and himself.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Sheikh wrote:
smartbrother wrote:

Are you suggesting Mikel, Ndidi and Azubuike as the first team trio? .
Yes
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Azu was a part of the u17 team that won the world cup in 2013 but he was dropped because the NFF has a policy against inviting NPL players to the u17 national team.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

niyi wrote:Azu was a part of the u17 team that won the world cup in 2013 but he was dropped because the NFF has a policy against inviting NPL players to the u17 national team.
Mehn, that squad continues to throw up ballers.
Every time a new SE name arises, there's a link to that U17 team! :clap:
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Everyday new players are suggested for World Cup. Omo, we can have an entire new 11 by June.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

smartbrother wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:You guys are forgetting that Ogu is 29, Onazi 24 while Azubuike is only 20. The law of averages dictates that sooner rather than later, Ogu and Onazi will give way to the likes of Azubuike :!:

Cheers.
In my opinion our olympic midfield of Usman, Azubuike and Mikel was better balanced than any of the midfield combinations played by Rohr thus far.

Simply put we need a holding midfielder in midfield. Unless Rohr intends to play the counterattacking strategy against every teams we face
Without one we will never be comfortable keeping possession, never comfortable playing the ball out of defence and unable to sustain pressure on the opposition when we are in search of a goal.

I hope Rohr recognizes this by playing mikel deeper or inviting Azubuike to be part of the team
Kai. I love CE. The comic relief na helele :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

green4life wrote:
smartbrother wrote:

Cheers.

Kai. I love CE. The comic relief na helele :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Unbelievable :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

john12 wrote:Everyday new players are suggested for World Cup. Omo, we can have an entire new 11 by June.
Azu played well at the Olympics and he is still playing well than some of those players in that spot, I don't see any reason he shouldn't get an invite for some friendly matches.