The Arsenal FC-Related News & Developments for 2016/2017

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal FC-Related News & Developments for 2016/2017

Post by amafolas »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Anikulapo, your boy Szczesny again: "I have learned more in four months under Spalletti than 10 years in England".

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/szcze ... 00309.html

Never liked him as a GK.
See what the yeye boy says
"I learned more in four months under Spalletti than in 10 years in England," Szczesny said in quotes reported by Il Tempo.
"He puts a lot of importance on playing the ball with your feet. One day we trained for more than 45 minutes just on goal kicks."

Maybe if he had actually watched tapes of his own game, he would have seen much earlier that ball-distribution and lack of concentration were his biggest weaknesses from day one. So he needs a coach to remind him to work on that.

I have always like Szczesny more than you though. I thought he had talent or maybe that was just because I was ready for anybody not named Almunia. Chei! Almunia was horrible. He shouldn't even have been keeping in div 3. With him, we always had the worst goalie in the entire EPL.
Last edited by amafolas on Sat May 21, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Anikulapo, your boy Szczesny again: "I have learned more in four months under Spalletti than 10 years in England".

Never liked him as a GK.

Haven't you heard the insanely stupid things his father says? The apple clearly hasn't fallen far from the tree. Smh
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.
I do. But I heard from a good source that Arsenal have accepted a bid from Roma for him. If it is true, I will miss him. But it does suggest to me that rumours I heard of Wenger getting rid of him because he became a big head and a problem was true.

Also, I hope it means Ospina stays and he gives Cech a good run for his money. I believe he is almost good as Cech. Besides, having 2 top class goalies helps with winning silverware.
Chezzer chain smoking did not go over well.
Wenger is a patient man. But if the stories I heard are true, I am not surprised. I like the guy, he is a Gooner and I want him back.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
zoldsasok
Egg
Egg

Post by zoldsasok »

Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.
I do. But I heard from a good source that Arsenal have accepted a bid from Roma for him. If it is true, I will miss him. But it does suggest to me that rumours I heard of Wenger getting rid of him because he became a big head and a problem was true.

Also, I hope it means Ospina stays and he gives Cech a good run for his money. I believe he is almost good as Cech. Besides, having 2 top class goalies helps with winning silverware.
Wenger is a patient man. But if the stories I heard are true, I am not surprised. I like the guy, he is a Gooner and I want him back.
Waffiman I thought the ramford pele autobiography is not out yet but looks like you already read it or is there another one?
And what do you (or any other gunner wey don read am) think about the book by John cross on arsene. Thanx
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Never liked him as a GK.
I hope he also learned how not to smoke cigarettes.

Clearly he isn't coming back.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

amafolas wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
anikulapo wrote:Has Arsenal signed Morata yet? Worst mistake ever was letting that kid go to Juve :curse: Madrid will probably buy him back and charge 50 mill. Those dudes know how to extract maximum bucks for their players. Should have signed him then even with the buy back clause :curse:

Could have won two league titles with him in the lineup :curse:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: i always say that it is more important to watch football than it is to read fora

Morata would have won Arsenal what? ? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: My goodness. The same Morata at juve? Or another morata? These are his numbers:

2015-16 - 7 league goals
2014-15 - 8 league goals
2013-14 - 8 league goals

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This guy has mever scored more than 8 and he is going to win 2 titles 4 a team :rotf: :blush: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
By that token AW should have never bought Henry from Juve and Dein should have never bought DB 10 from Inter,

I have seen average CF like Adebayor and Giroud score 20-30 goals in a season at Arsenal.

Say what you want about AW but his philosophy is a wet dream for a CF with a modicum of talent. Morata comes to Arsenal and that kid will bag goals for fun.
TG, he is a troll, do not waste your time with him.

Also, if you have a clue about football, you know Morata has the sort of potential Wenger can unlock.
Like he unlocked Welbeck and Walcott :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Any legit danfo driver knows that sometimes you turn the key and nothing happens, engine refuse to start. that's when you motion to conductor and passengers to help you give it a running start.
That's the case with both Walcott and Welbeck. BMW engine, ford transmission, dodge computer module.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

LVG gets sacked barely minutes after winning the FA Cup.

If you ever needed any proof that the FA Cup is a crap trophy then this is it. :lol:

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

amafolas wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.
"I learned more in four months under Spalletti than in 10 years in England," Szczesny said in quotes reported by Il Tempo.
"He puts a lot of importance on playing the ball with your feet. One day we trained for more than 45 minutes just on goal kicks."

Maybe if he had actually watched tapes of his own game, he would have seen much earlier that ball-distribution and lack of concentration were his biggest weaknesses from day one. So he needs a coach to remind him to work on that.

I have always like Szczesny more than you though. I thought he had talent or maybe that was just because I was ready for anybody not named Almunia. Chei! Almunia was horrible. He shouldn't even have been keeping in div 3. With him, we always had the worst goalie in the entire EPL.

Never liked the foolish boy, despite Wenger's Almumu. Mannone was better than all those clowns put together. Szczesny has the attributes, but is missing a few parts of the brain.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

theYemster wrote:LVG gets sacked barely minutes after winning the FA Cup.

If you ever needed any proof that the FA Cup is a crap trophy then this is it. :lol:

Are you saying FA cup is not a major trophy? Man U hadn't won it since '04!
AFCON 2019 sweet o

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Simply because we focused on important targets :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

lol. I'm not saying it, ManU is saying it. Man U sacking VGaal is like Arsenal sacking the very next coach who wins them the EPL...barely minutes after winning the league.

The UCL doesn't factor in here cos as we all know the next time Arsenal wins the Champions League will be the first time.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

zoldsasok wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

Waffiman I thought the ramford pele autobiography is not out yet but looks like you already read it or is there another one?
And what do you (or any other gunner wey don read am) think about the book by John cross on arsene. Thanx
Get it here. I ordered mine ages before it came out. I have met Ray many a time. I can say if he sees me in public, he will call me out because I have known him and he has known me since the 90s. As you can imagine, I had his book on order well before it came out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Romford-Pelé-o ... 1780895054

John Cross book is really good because there has been so many similar books about Wenger but Cross was about Arsenal and not Wenger. The 2nd part of the book focuses on the move to Ashburton Grove (Emirates stadium) and the lack of funds and the stress it placed on the Manager and club. He even says the club came close to bankruptcy. I knew it was close because an Agent of one of the players then said the players flew by budget airlines.

But, it's the second part that is perhaps the most interesting and indeed the most illuminating. The move to Ashburton Grove (no sponsors plug here), the lack of cash, departure of David Dein and ultimately the talent drain are all covered in detail. Mr Cross does enlighten me on a key issue, he claims Arsenal had to sell off part of its property to meet its loan repayment obligation, thus preventing the banks from stepping in and taking over the club.

I think I better stop before I spoil it for you. The general gist is clear, he blames the club and Wenger for not winning trophies during this period. He also says Wenger's stubbornness cost him winning titles but it is less convincing because he does not present evidence but his opinion from his research for the book. A good read I say because it gives you fresh info about Wenger and the club in its most crucial stage of its recent development.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

danfo driver wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
anikulapo wrote:Has Arsenal signed Morata yet? Worst mistake ever was letting that kid go to Juve :curse: Madrid will probably buy him back and charge 50 mill. Those dudes know how to extract maximum bucks for their players. Should have signed him then even with the buy back clause :curse:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: i always say that it is more important to watch football than it is to read fora

Morata would have won Arsenal what? ? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: My goodness. The same Morata at juve? Or another morata? These are his numbers:

2015-16 - 7 league goals
2014-15 - 8 league goals
2013-14 - 8 league goals

This guy has mever scored more than 8 and he is going to win 2 titles 4 a team :rotf: :blush: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Shhhhhh take a deep breath and hang on the side of your bus and keep shouting "Race Course/CMS"

Try and watch the games and take your advice and stop looking at numbers :idea:

I guess based by Girouds scoring tallies he should be worth more than three times Alvaro right? Gosh you belong on a tree :mrgreen:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: i have watched morata for years. I know him very well.

Then it's clear you have eyes that don't see and a mind that needs a tune up :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: you seem very excited about possibilities. As an arsenal fan, this must be a yearly occurence for you - premature excitement :rotf: :rotf: :taunt: :taunt:

Hey Genius you might wanna check who won Copa Italia for Juve today :woot:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

anikulapo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

2015-16 - 7 league goals
2014-15 - 8 league goals
2013-14 - 8 league goals

Shhhhhh take a deep breath and hang on the side of your bus and keep shouting "Race Course/CMS"

Try and watch the games and take your advice and stop looking at numbers :idea:

I guess based by Girouds scoring tallies he should be worth more than three times Alvaro right? Gosh you belong on a tree :mrgreen:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: i have watched morata for years. I know him very well.

Then it's clear you have eyes that don't see and a mind that needs a tune up :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: you seem very excited about possibilities. As an arsenal fan, this must be a yearly occurence for you - premature excitement :rotf: :rotf: :taunt: :taunt:

Hey Genius you might wanna check who won Copa Italia for Juve today :woot:
I watched the match and you aré right, after Moratas performance, Arsenal das awarded 2 League titles :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Waffiman wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

Get it here. I ordered mine ages before it came out. I have met Ray many a time. I can say if he sees me in public, he will call me out because I have known him and he has known me since the 90s. As you can imagine, I had his book on order well before it came out.

John Cross book is really good because there has been so many similar books about Wenger but Cross was about Arsenal and not Wenger. The 2nd part of the book focuses on the move to Ashburton Grove (Emirates stadium) and the lack of funds and the stress it placed on the Manager and club. He even says the club came close to bankruptcy. I knew it was close because an Agent of one of the players then said the players flew by budget airlines.

But, it's the second part that is perhaps the most interesting and indeed the most illuminating. The move to Ashburton Grove (no sponsors plug here), the lack of cash, departure of David Dein and ultimately the talent drain are all covered in detail. Mr Cross does enlighten me on a key issue, he claims Arsenal had to sell off part of its property to meet its loan repayment obligation, thus preventing the banks from stepping in and taking over the club.

I think I better stop before I spoil it for you. The general gist is clear, he blames the club and Wenger for not winning trophies during this period. He also says Wenger's stubbornness cost him winning titles but it is less convincing because he does not present evidence but his opinion from his research for the book. A good read I say because it gives you fresh info about Wenger and the club in its most crucial stage of its recent development.
strange enough, regardless of what was going on privately, their public books were showing record level profits and pissing away money paying huge taxes during that very same period. Who's deceiving who? I used to be baffled by Arsenal's financial statements, but I had no insider information and no accounting knowledge back in those days. Now I know better.

The cynical me thinks declaring huge profits was a ploy for the owners to cash out, which they did. The less cynical me thinks it also could have just been them trying to convince banks/potential creditors that they were running a financially viable enterprise and were therefore worthy borrowers.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
zoldsasok
Egg
Egg

Post by zoldsasok »

Waffiman wrote:
zoldsasok wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

K

Thanx, I tried Amazon (USA) already. Paperback release date June 28, hardcover September 27 and no kindle edition. I guess I will have to wait.
Thanx again for the insight
slyk
Egg
Egg

Post by slyk »

amafolas wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

You guys and your penchant for revisionism. So all that talk years ago (while he was still at Arsenal) about Almunia being eligible and under consideration for England was because he was the worst goalie in the entire EPL? I tire for some of una sha.
slyk
Egg
Egg

Post by slyk »

I do not blame you and other arrogant, glory-hunting Arsenal fans of your ilk that spout this kind of rubbish. You will NEVER hear an Englishman say this. The oldest association cup in the world is a crap trophy. SMH. Winning the country's cup is one of the highlights of any professional footballer's career. Van Gaal's sacking has long been on the cards and it has very little do with the prestige of the Cup. Ancelloti was sacked by Chelsea after winning the league and the cup, so going by your logic the league must be a crap trophy too.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

slyk wrote:
amafolas wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

You guys and your penchant for revisionism. So all that talk years ago (while he was still at Arsenal) about Almunia being eligible and under consideration for England was because he was the worst goalie in the entire EPL? I tire for some of una sha.
Haha that was Wenger's delusion around when Almunia first became Arsenal's first choice and people were still clueless about useless of a goalie he really was. Subsequent seasons, once people saw how truly useless he was, such crazy talks stopped!

Proof: Almunia became Arsenal's first choice goalie in 2008/2009. Wenger made the comment about Almunia for England in April of that season. He was Arsenal's first choice for 2 more seasons after that. Show me anywhere where anybody recommended him for England after that initial season.

Almunia is by far the worst Arsenal goalkeeper since I have been following.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

slyk wrote:
amafolas wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

Don't mind us jare. Almunia was a phenomenal GK...one of the best in the league. Arsenal fans failed to notice he was as good, if not better than Peter Cech.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

slyk
Egg
Egg

Post by slyk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
slyk wrote:
amafolas wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

Don't mind us jare. Almunia was a phenomenal GK...one of the best in the league. Arsenal fans failed to notice he was as good, if not better than Peter Cech.
I know your remark is made tongue-in-cheek but you guys do not have to go to extremes in your opinion of Almunia. All I am asking is that you give a fair, objective and accurate opinion of him. He was not the best and neither was he the worst on the league. The Almunia I remember was an excellent shot stopper and reflex goalie. Yes he made mistakes but that does not make him "the worst goalie in the entire EPL"
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

slyk wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
slyk wrote:
amafolas wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

I know your remark is made tongue-in-cheek but you guys do not have to go to extremes in your opinion of Almunia. All I am asking is that you give a fair, objective and accurate opinion of him. He was not the best and neither was he the worst on the league. The Almunia I remember was an excellent shot stopper and reflex goalie. Yes he made mistakes but that does not make him "the worst goalie in the entire EPL"
:agree: :clap: :clap:
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Waffiman wrote:
slyk wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
slyk wrote:
amafolas wrote:

Never liked him as a GK.

:agree: :clap: :clap:
Waffi you no dey sleep.

Slyk please don't bring back bad memories. I still have PTSD from Almunia. Yes Almunia was that horrible. He was a good shot stopper but that doesn't make you a goalie. Naija league is full of shot-stoppers. At best, he should have been life-long backup goalie at a mid-level club at the top leagues playing than the random odd game. Calling him the worst goalie in the EPL might be an exaggeration but not by much.

I remember how people would routinely post goalkeeper stats that would show him as #17/20 only beating out goalies at relegation-threatened clubs. I would watch Bolton with Jussi Jaskalinan (sp) and get jealous, watch Everton with Tim Howard and smh, watch Blackburn with Brad Friedel and start fasting, watch Newcastle with Shay Given and start praying. Then I go to Porstmouth and there was David James. Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs each had multiple better goalies. ManU had VDS. Heck yeye Fulham had Schwarzer who was miles better. Off the top of my head and almost a decade later, I have listed 12 of his contemporaries that were better than him. Ask yourself how many goalkeepers from lower placed teams would you replace Cech/Ospina with today? Almost none. Could you have said the same about Almunia?

Almunia at his peak will not start for any current EPL team. The man tried his best and had his moments. I appreciate that. But he just did not belong at the EPL level much less a top team in the EPL. He was the Igor Stepanov of goalkeeping.