The Arsenal FC-Related News & Developments for 2016/2017

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal FC-Related News & Developments for 2016/2017

Post by Gooner1 »

Waffiman wrote:Good sources now claiming Wenger has signed a new 2 year deal with promises from the Board to make funds available for major squad overhaul.

If true. It is the ultimate F**k you to the Wenger outers who have done so much damage to the club this season.

IMHO, AFC fans have reaped what they've sown. All the s**t off field is now being reflected on it. No confidence.
dude, seriously, you sound like a child, chill

...and who are your good resources anyway? the same that said Kante, and all the other nearly signed were going to AFC?

maaan.....keep your sources in your ladder cupboard.....no one cares :roll:
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Good sources now claiming Wenger has signed a new 2 year deal with promises from the Board to make funds available for major squad overhaul.

If true. It is the ultimate F**k you to the Wenger outers who have done so much damage to the club this season.

IMHO, AFC fans have reaped what they've sown. All the s**t off field is now being reflected on it. No confidence.
oh waffi you do love entertaining narratives ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I told you ages ago this was a done deal, that Arsenal had 0 succession plan for AW , AW 2 year extension was fait de complete, whilst you stated results would decide AW's fate... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This has nothing to do with a youtube channel, social media or sending a message to fans..this is about straight cash homie, and in Stan Kroenke eyes Mr. Wenger is a godsend..no more and no less.
Assuming the stories are true. Because nothing is official and I tend to be cautious about these things.

On the contrary. Like you, I felt from the outset that he will sign his contract eventually. But I also heard from good sources that he had not signed because of a disagreement with funds for the squad from the Board in the light of the spending by the competition following the failure of FFP which the Arsenal Board and Wenger banked on to level the spending field. For example, Chelsea's wage bill for the 2014/15 season was £23m more than Arsenal wage bill for the 2015/16 season. ManU's was £37m more for the 2015/16 season. This, despite Arsenal additions to the squad.The irony is, Arsenal finishing above Chelsea and ManU influenced the Board with their spending decision and they expected Wenger to improve despite the competition outspending us once again in the summer. I was also one of those who expected us to improve in terms of points and finish 1st or 2nd. I was wrong this time around.

You cannot continue to get away, season after season, with putting yourself in an inferior competitive position. We all know what wage bill of sport men tell us in all sports. The best sport men get paid the most money in wages and everything else. Arsenal wage bill is clear, it is telling us bar 2 or 3 players, we do not have anything close to the best, but we have somehow come to expect to compete and beat the best with the sort of wages disadvantage I mentioned above. We have gotten away with it for too long. It is no coincidence that we cannot cope with the top teams when we are missing 2 or 3 of our best players. This season, like last season is now showing we cannot also expect to beat the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th placed teams when missing 3 to 4 of our best players.

With growing fans expectations, Wenger pressed for more funds to sign better quality proven players in the EPL. He got no support from the Board, and he did not sign his contract. This was a big mistake, because it gave Ozil and Sanchez the ready excuse to hold the club and their team mates hostages. It is no secret that Sanchez and Ozil do not think much of a few of their team mates playing abilities, while Ozil has been less vocal, he has been petulent on the pitch when a team mate he does not rate tries to point out anything to him. Sanchez has been down right disrespectful to all.

With the players, the excuses got better as they hid behind the fans who went after the Manager in social media and certain elements of the press. But at the Emirates stadium, Wenger still held sway, the fans did not turn against him. Instead, it is the players that got it game after game as fans turned against them. When the Away support grew in numbers to sing, 'we want Wenger out' at the Bayern game, I felt, Wenger's time was up. I felt the fans will turn at the Emirates, I also felt Wenger will walk because he will not want to see the fighting amongst the fans. But I was wrong, the protests and protesters were an embarrassment. One even protested against Vic Akers - the Kit Manager. They were goaded, booed and insulted at the Emirates stadium. At best there were 200 of them, although many in the press say 100.

I think many of the 'Wenger Outers' got it wrong, they thought their campaign will gather support and the Manager will be forced out, so far they have failed. What they have done is make many now defend Wenger because of their tactics. Indeed, they have turned a lot of the support against them and it has got to the point where Arsenal fans now stand and hurl insults at the 'Wenger Outers and protesters. I have seen this at the last 2 games at the Emirates. What I have observed is, and I posted this here when I gave a breakdown of how I saw the split in the fan base, even those who feel Wenger's time is up have developed a deep hatred and resentment for those fans who they see as not speaking for them because of how they have conducted themselves.

I actually now believe is Wenger, who is known as a real fighter - go read the books of his ex-players - has now realised he made a mistake not signing the contract cos it has led to the uncertainty at the club and both players and fans have now taken advantage. I think the Board and Wenger have now decided arrest the situation and show who is in real control. I gave an example with the Fergie situation and ManU those years ago a few weeks ago. I also feel, Wenger instead of walking away has realised he must stand up to the 'Wenger Outers' and take them head on. I personally applaud this move.

I believe strongly that the Board and Wenger have not come this far to see all what they have worked so hard in the past 12 years disintegrate, especially when they are on the verge of making the final leap in terms of finances. The new sponsorship deals for example are almost due, the club cannot put itself in a weak position of not being in the CL. They have come together, sending a clear message to their detractors that we are the ones in control of this club. For me, the question now is, is it all too little too late?

Having said the above, let us not get away from one fact, all the problems we have now, is the makings of the Manager and the Board. When you have a wage bill deficit of £37m on a close rival, you have so much scope to do better than we did in the summer. We had even more scope when you consider the amount of money the rivals spent. Clubs we have always dismissed like Liverpool and Spuds improved by buying proven EPL quality. We were arrogant and we made mistakes. We had to get Kante, we had to give Ozil and Sanchez new deals, we had to improve the overall quality by taking a loss on one or two under performing players and letting them go to make room for new proven and better players in the EPL or top money for top players outside of the league. When our competitors spent money, we did, but we spent far less on mainly development players. We failed to get the balance right. We also kept at least 2 under performing players which we should have shipped out, via loan or sold for better players. We have gotten away with it for too long but this season, it has caught up with us both in the dressing room and on the pitch. In the dressing room, it has gotten nasty as the players who have been carrying the under performers have hit out. Not saying they were right because they have been unprofessional. I bet they would have handled things better had they foreseen the consequences of their actions.

On top of all of this, we have a Manager who set the way by creating uncertainty with his contract situation, we may have gotten away with this sort of contract situation in the past but the Board and Manager were too arrogant and dismissive of the threat this situation posed in certain sections of the fan base till it was all too late. When three years ago, Gazidis raised the fans’ hopes when he boasted, “We should be able to compete at a level like a club such as Bayern Munich. We can do some things which would excite you. I say that this is an extraordinarily ambitious club.” You then start missing out on number one targets in the transfer market, to rub salt into injury, we see the same Bayern Munich outclass us in every dept of the pitch, you create trouble for yourself. Just be honest and let the fans know the truth. Arsenal have a waiting list for Season Tickets of over 12 years. There is no chance of them not selling the STs, so why tell fibs and create grief for yourself? Arsenal are fortunate with me, I am financially secure enough to say, I will have a ST for the rest of my life. I know many like me, the club knows it, so why the BS?

For me, I have loyalty to the Manager because of his loyalty to us in our deepest time of need. I have faith in the Board and Manager because of their achievements in the last 12 years. I also believe the Board is right to stick with the Manager because they know their role in this mess of a season we are experiencing. I also believe that one poor season where we are performing below expectation and resources is not enough to panic. I see far too many great and good things at Arsenal, what we must not do is throw the baby away with the bathwater. I am glad we have a Board that is wise enough to this.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Gooner1 wrote:

...and who are your good resources anyway? the same that said Kante, and all the other nearly signed were going to AFC?

I see you are sore already. Well you just got started. It is looking like it is going to get worse. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Waffiman wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:

I see you are sore already. Well you just got started. It is looking like it is going to get worse. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
...dude on the contrary......the only person who is going to be sore after this is the board + Wenger + the Wengerbabes

he has not got the tactical acumen to win the EPL/UCL....FA Cup + top 4 is his priority.....and he can't even achieve that.....sad
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

oh waffi you do love entertaining narratives ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I told you ages ago this was a done deal, that Arsenal had 0 succession plan for AW , AW 2 year extension was fait de complete, whilst you stated results would decide AW's fate... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

This has nothing to do with a youtube channel, social media or sending a message to fans..this is about straight cash homie, and in Stan Kroenke eyes Mr. Wenger is a godsend..no more and no less.
Assuming the stories are true. Because nothing is official and I tend to be cautious about these things.

On the contrary. Like you, I felt from the outset that he will sign his contract eventually. But I also heard from good sources that he had not signed because of a disagreement with funds for the squad from the Board in the light of the spending by the competition following the failure of FFP which the Arsenal Board and Wenger banked on to level the spending field. For example, Chelsea's wage bill for the 2014/15 season was £23m more than Arsenal wage bill for the 2015/16 season. ManU's was £37m more for the 2015/16 season. This, despite Arsenal additions to the squad.The irony is, Arsenal finishing above Chelsea and ManU influenced the Board with their spending decision and they expected Wenger to improve despite the competition outspending us once again in the summer. I was also one of those who expected us to improve in terms of points and finish 1st or 2nd. I was wrong this time around.

You cannot continue to get away, season after season, with putting yourself in an inferior competitive position. We all know what wage bill of sport men tell us in all sports. The best sport men get paid the most money in wages and everything else. Arsenal wage bill is clear, it is telling us bar 2 or 3 players, we do not have anything close to the best, but we have somehow come to expect to compete and beat the best with the sort of wages disadvantage I mentioned above. We have gotten away with it for too long. It is no coincidence that we cannot cope with the top teams when we are missing 2 or 3 of our best players. This season, like last season is now showing we cannot also expect to beat the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th placed teams when missing 3 to 4 of our best players.

With growing fans expectations, Wenger pressed for more funds to sign better quality proven players in the EPL. He got no support from the Board, and he did not sign his contract. This was a big mistake, because it gave Ozil and Sanchez the ready excuse to hold the club and their team mates hostages. It is no secret that Sanchez and Ozil do not think much of a few of their team mates playing abilities, while Ozil has been less vocal, he has been petulent on the pitch when a team mate he does not rate tries to point out anything to him. Sanchez has been down right disrespectful to all.

With the players, the excuses got better as they hid behind the fans who went after the Manager in social media and certain elements of the press. But at the Emirates stadium, Wenger still held sway, the fans did not turn against him. Instead, it is the players that got it game after game as fans turned against them. When the Away support grew in numbers to sing, 'we want Wenger out' at the Bayern game, I felt, Wenger's time was up. I felt the fans will turn at the Emirates, I also felt Wenger will walk because he will not want to see the fighting amongst the fans. But I was wrong, the protests and protesters were an embarrassment. One even protested against Vic Akers - the Kit Manager. They were goaded, booed and insulted at the Emirates stadium. At best there were 200 of them, although many in the press say 100.

I think many of the 'Wenger Outers' got it wrong, they thought their campaign will gather support and the Manager will be forced out, so far they have failed. What they have done is make many now defend Wenger because of their tactics. Indeed, they have turned a lot of the support against them and it has got to the point where Arsenal fans now stand and hurl insults at the 'Wenger Outers and protesters. I have seen this at the last 2 games at the Emirates. What I have observed is, and I posted this here when I gave a breakdown of how I saw the split in the fan base, even those who feel Wenger's time is up have developed a deep hatred and resentment for those fans who they see as not speaking for them because of how they have conducted themselves.

I actually now believe is Wenger, who is known as a real fighter - go read the books of his ex-players - has now realised he made a mistake not signing the contract cos it has led to the uncertainty at the club and both players and fans have now taken advantage. I think the Board and Wenger have now decided arrest the situation and show who is in real control. I gave an example with the Fergie situation and ManU those years ago a few weeks ago. I also feel, Wenger instead of walking away has realised he must stand up to the 'Wenger Outers' and take them head on. I personally applaud this move.

I believe strongly that the Board and Wenger have not come this far to see all what they have worked so hard in the past 12 years disintegrate, especially when they are on the verge of making the final leap in terms of finances. The new sponsorship deals for example are almost due, the club cannot put itself in a weak position of not being in the CL. They have come together, sending a clear message to their detractors that we are the ones in control of this club. For me, the question now is, is it all too little too late?

Having said the above, let us not get away from one fact, all the problems we have now, is the makings of the Manager and the Board. When you have a wage bill deficit of £37m on a close rival, you have so much scope to do better than we did in the summer. We had even more scope when you consider the amount of money the rivals spent. Clubs we have always dismissed like Liverpool and Spuds improved by buying proven EPL quality. We were arrogant and we made mistakes. We had to get Kante, we had to give Ozil and Sanchez new deals, we had to improve the overall quality by taking a loss on one or two under performing players and letting them go to make room for new proven and better players in the EPL or top money for top players outside of the league. When our competitors spent money, we did, but we spent far less on mainly development players. We failed to get the balance right. We also kept at least 2 under performing players which we should have shipped out, via loan or sold for better players. We have gotten away with it for too long but this season, it has caught up with us both in the dressing room and on the pitch. In the dressing room, it has gotten nasty as the players who have been carrying the under performers have hit out. Not saying they were right because they have been unprofessional. I bet they would have handled things better had they foreseen the consequences of their actions.

On top of all of this, we have a Manager who set the way by creating uncertainty with his contract situation, we may have gotten away with this sort of contract situation in the past but the Board and Manager were too arrogant and dismissive of the threat this situation posed in certain sections of the fan base till it was all too late. When three years ago, Gazidis raised the fans’ hopes when he boasted, “We should be able to compete at a level like a club such as Bayern Munich. We can do some things which would excite you. I say that this is an extraordinarily ambitious club.” You then start missing out on number one targets in the transfer market, to rub salt into injury, we see the same Bayern Munich outclass us in every dept of the pitch, you create trouble for yourself. Just be honest and let the fans know the truth. Arsenal have a waiting list for Season Tickets of over 12 years. There is no chance of them not selling the STs, so why tell fibs and create grief for yourself? Arsenal are fortunate with me, I am financially secure enough to say, I will have a ST for the rest of my life. I know many like me, the club knows it, so why the BS?

For me, I have loyalty to the Manager because of his loyalty to us in our deepest time of need. I have faith in the Board and Manager because of their achievements in the last 12 years. I also believe the Board is right to stick with the Manager because they know their role in this mess of a season we are experiencing. I also believe that one poor season where we are performing below expectation and resources is not enough to panic. I see far too many great and good things at Arsenal, what we must not do is throw the baby away with the bathwater. I am glad we have a Board that is wise enough to this.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
oh...waffi, waffi, waffi

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Gooner1 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:

...dude on the contrary......the only person who is going to be sore after this is the board + Wenger + the Wengerbabes

he has not got the tactical acumen to win the EPL/UCL....FA Cup + top 4 is his priority.....and he can't even achieve that.....sad
The people making the decisions that matter seem to have spoken. The only place you can hurt them is their wallets and there is no chance of that happening. When results change, the fans will change and that will be the end of that. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Ahh Arsenal.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

platinum wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Ahh Arsenal.
Wenger is staying, so get used to it. :sneaky:
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Waffiman wrote:

Ahh Arsenal.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Gooner1 wrote:

Hmm... are you saying wafoolishman is also, waSHORTman? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Waffiman wrote:

Ahh Arsenal.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

If Wenger signs on for two more years the end result will be on and off field mayhem. Yet he is delusional and the Club craven to put his employment interests and ego ahead of Arsenals real interest. AW could not get any mileage from the current squad despite spending close to £100 million.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

I for one, I am happy Wenger signed the extension. Apart from my selfish reason, the man is too important to be disgraced out. Let him start the process of winding down his regime by leaving a better, more confident team for the next coach.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

balo wrote:I for one, I am happy Wenger signed the extension. Apart from my selfish reason, the man is too important to be disgraced out. Let him start the process of winding down his regime by leaving a better, more confident team for the next coach.
On the contrary, he had two opportunities in 2014 and 2015 to walk away a hero, after winning the FA cup, but decided to stay and earn another an £8 million.

Waffiman wrote: Having said the above, let us not get away from one fact, all the problems we have now, is the makings of the Manager and the Board. When you have a wage bill deficit of £37m on a close rival, you have so much scope to do better than we did in the summer
Last edited by realtrouble on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

realtrouble wrote:
balo wrote:I for one, I am happy Wenger signed the extension. Apart from my selfish reason, the man is too important to be disgraced out. Let him start the process of winding down his regime by leaving a better, more confident team for the next coach.
On the contrary, he had two opportunities in 2014 and 2015 to walk away a hero, after winning the FA cup, but decided to stay and earn another an £8 million.

[quote: Waffiman]
Having said the above, let us not get away from one fact, all the problems we have now, is the makings of the Manager and the Board. When you have a wage bill deficit of £37m on a close rival, you have so much scope to do better than we did in the summer
[/quote]
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
RB........ you are going to start an argument between waffi and waffi CE does not need the Wahala:lol:

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

platinum wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Ahh Arsenal.
Seriously! Wenger can sign a ten year long contract, it will mean nothing of he does not start reversing the results of the last 4 league games from the City game. I am 100% certain, the Emirates loyal supporters will turn if we lose to City and IMHO, there will be no way back - contract or no contract.

However, if Wenger reverses results win some big games and finish in the top 4 and wins the FA Cup, it will be like nothing happened this season. The fact is, I get this sense more than ever, there is that core who are desperate for the man to turn things around. Afterall, we are all Arsenal supporters and nothing beats winning football matches.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Best thing for goon is for Wenger to stay. Lay a decent foundation and plan a structured hand over. In fact before he leaves Arsenal will do well to make his replacement work with him for a year. You don't run a place for over 20 years, remove yourself and expect things to carry on smoothly
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Waffiman wrote:
platinum wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Ahh Arsenal.
Seriously! Wenger can sign a ten year long contract, it will mean nothing of he does not start reversing the results of the last 4 league games from the City game. I am 100% certain, the Emirates loyal supporters will turn if we lose to City and IMHO, there will be no way back - contract or no contract.

However, if Wenger reverses results win some big games and finish in the top 4 and wins the FA Cup, it will be like nothing happened this season. The fact is, I get this sense more than ever, there is that core who are desperate for the man to turn things around. Afterall, we are all Arsenal supporters and nothing beats winning football matches.
....dude wishful thinking.....winning the FA Cup? highly unlikely......4th maybe, but wouldn't count on it
the team are not good enough point blank period.....wenger has surrounded himself with a bunch of fairies who know that he is loyal
to his players no matter what.....

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

pajimoh wrote:Best thing for goon is for Wenger to stay. Lay a decent foundation and plan a structured hand over. In fact before he leaves Arsenal will do well to make his replacement work with him for a year. You don't run a place for over 20 years, remove yourself and expect things to carry on smoothly
Wenger is no fool, he is aware of the unrest around him and the club, but not as a fan would be. All his ex-players talk about his fighting qualities, he will take his current adversity as a spur to prove people wrong. He has always done this, I am convinced he will prove everyone wrong once again.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Waffiman wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Best thing for goon is for Wenger to stay. Lay a decent foundation and plan a structured hand over. In fact before he leaves Arsenal will do well to make his replacement work with him for a year. You don't run a place for over 20 years, remove yourself and expect things to carry on smoothly
Wenger is no fool, he is aware of the unrest around him and the club, but not as a fan would be. All his ex-players talk about his fighting qualities, he will take his current adversity as a spur to prove people wrong. He has always done this, I am convinced he will prove everyone wrong once again.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

Waffiman wrote:
He does not have players to that. And looks incapable of raising morale and fighting spirit of his players.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

bouncino wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
He does not have players to that. And looks incapable of raising morale and fighting spirit of his players.
Like I said my bro, for him it is now about results. He can sign whatever contract, only results can save him now, not the contract.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Waffiman wrote:
No one is doubting that. The question everyone has is: Can he do it?

Yes can but will he do it is the bigger question? Well not as long as he keeps his loyalty with those players that are letting him down.