Eagles to Play All Home Games in Abuja

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Eagles to Play All Home Games in Abuja

Post by Robotnik »

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/20 ... -in-abuja/
The Super Eagles will play their World Cup 2018 home qualifying matches at the National Stadium, Abuja, THISDAY checks revealed last night.

The return will be the first time the national team will be playing at the nation’s capital since they defeated Sudan 3-1 on October 15, 2014, in an Africa Cup of Nations (Equatorial Guinea 2015) qualifier.

Nigeria is pitched in an onerous “Champions League’’ Group B made up of Algeria, Cameroun and Zambia- all former winners of the Africa Cup of Nations- following last Friday’s draw in Cairo by CAF.

The Eagles will begin their bid for a sixth World Cup slot, when they travel to Zambia on October 3 for the opening group encounter before they host the Indomitable Lions of Cameroun on September 2, 2017 at the National Stadium, Abuja.

THISDAY scooped that Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung, monday at a meeting with the NFF leadership, instructed that all three home fixtures be played in Abuja.

The basis of his directive is hinged on security in addition to allowing many Nigerian spectators watch the fixtures in view of the profile of opposing teams.

Apart from that ‘Glasshouse’ is cautious of a poor decision of organising a match of high magnitude in a stadium with little capacity for large spectators.

The federation is still smarting from the consequences of the security breaches and poor crowd control that marred the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier between Nigeria and Egypt in Kaduna on March 25.
That shoddy arrangement where over 40,000 fans were packed into a stadium that could barely contain 15,000 spectators made CAF to impose a $5,000 fine on NFF, with a warning of stiffer sanctions in the event of a repeat in the future.

Eagles played all their Brazil 2014 home matches at the U.J. Esuene Stadium, Calabar, which has a limited space for only 20,000 spectators.

The National Stadium, built in 2003 for the All Africa Games same year, has a capacity for 60,000 and was the theatre when Nigeria realised her dream of qualifying for the first World Cup held on African soil at South Africa 2010.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Eagles to Play All Home Games in Abuja

Post by paj »

No brainer
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Abuja is the easies place to beat SE. Rarely full and fickle crowd,they'll start booing fast.
OCCUPY NFF!!
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Looks like the minister has taken over the NFF. Abuja makes sense but what about the new Akwa Ibom one?
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Most countries have their national stadium and history and reputation is built during the course of using that stadium.
Such stadium must be used for hosting our national game. At least 90% of our games should be played there and in particular, games that matters, important games. Friendly games can be taken around the country.

Surulere earned it's reputation and was our fortress for many years. As is stands we have no formidable home and we have missed a lot of competitions since Surulere was out of the scene and we move up and down. Apart from playing in Nigeria we are not the home team because we are not familiar with every curve and every blade of grass of the stadium we play at.

We need to have a national identity. Why build Abuja stadium if we won't use it?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Then they need to do what they have to do to fill the place up.
Nothing worse than playing in an empty stadium.
Personally I feel more confident playing in Uyo.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:Then they need to do what they have to do to fill the place up.
Why do you prefer Uyo?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Why do you prefer Uyo?
1. The stadium is world class - hopefully, pitch too.
2. There is a football 'culture' in the region which does not appear to be the case in the FCT.
3. As a result of (2), people might be less willing to pay to watch a match, thus poor attendance is a real danger.
4. (3) above can be remedied if the gates are thrown open, but I am not confident that low prices (as against open gates) will guarantee sufficient crowds.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Abuja is the easies place to beat SE. Rarely full and fickle crowd,they'll start booing fast.
The problem with the NFF is laziness, when the SE played in Abuja against Kenya and Tunisia in the 2010 WCQs, the stadium was filled to capacity. All they need to do is dust up the blueprint that was used then. I remember it involved working with the supporters club and fortunately, the present DG of the SC, Rafiu Oladipo is still in charge. The matches were played on Sundays and in the evening and buses were put in place to get supporters from all over the country to and fro. So with proper preparation, the Abuja stadium can be filled.
I am happy
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Why do you prefer Uyo?
2. There is a football 'culture' in the region which does not appear to be the case in the FCT.
3. As a result of (2), people might be less willing to pay to watch a match, thus poor attendance is a real danger.
4. (3) above can be remedied if the gates are thrown open, but I am not confident that low prices (as against open gates) will guarantee sufficient crowds.
The magnitude of the games should result in bigger attendances. I believe Abuja stadium has been filled up one many occasions in the past.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Abuja actually has not been a bad place for Nigeria to host games going by the records. Here is piece on how Nigeria has done in various cities used for hosting games:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2016/03/q ... y-and.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Why do you prefer Uyo?
The bidding war for our football is not in the best interest of the game. We need a national identity. We need a home turf that we are so used to, it actually offers us a "home advantage"

It will take a while to get that through constant use. All the organizers need to do is try and fill the place.

Friendly games can be taken around the country once in a while but every team should have a home and in a federal setup, that should be the national stadium.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
brigadoon
Egg
Egg

Post by brigadoon »

Maybe I'm out of the loop here but what's wrong with the Surulere stadium? Intimidating atmosphere and guaranteed to be full to the brink.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Same here. There is still time to repair the Abuja pitch though and build the games up well enough to fill the place up. From what I have seen of the Nigeria professional league, it looks like floodlit games attract more fans to stadiums. They should probably consider playing at night. It is also cooler then which suits the players.
yes o
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

brigadoon wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop here but what's wrong with the Surulere stadium? Intimidating atmosphere and guaranteed to be full to the brink.
You are
yes o
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Abuja is the easies place to beat SE. Rarely full and fickle crowd,they'll start booing fast.

That is a myth, my brother. I have watched games there live. In any case, how many games has Nigeria lost in Abuja compared to other places besides Ibadan, PH, and Enugu? You would be surprised. The data just does not support the statement about.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

papilo wrote:
brigadoon wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop here but what's wrong with the Surulere stadium? Intimidating atmosphere and guaranteed to be full to the brink.
You are
Completely. :lol:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

papilo wrote:

Same here. There is still time to repair the Abuja pitch though and build the games up well enough to fill the place up. From what I have seen of the Nigeria professional league, it looks like floodlit games attract more fans to stadiums. They should probably consider playing at night. It is also cooler then which suits the players.
Excellent suggestion. I have always said this. Some of the best games I have ever watched in the Lagos National stadium were played in the cooler evening atmosphere under foodlights.
NFF have just got to think out of the box, like many have suggested.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

I am 100% on board with this plan. Abuja it is...Make one place a home and begin a winning culture there...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Enugu II wrote:

That is a myth, my brother. I have watched games there live. In any case, how many games has Nigeria lost in Abuja compared to other places besides Ibadan, PH, and Enugu? You would be surprised. The data just does not support the statement about.
KPOM KWEM!
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Was it not at Uyo with full capacity that South Africa divorced us? Play in Abuja there is nothing wrong with Abuja...but i can hazard a guess before the qualifier is over the need for money would see one or two matches being offered to the highest bidder.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Playing in an empty stadium.

These idiots should just put their pride on hold and sell the National stadium in Lagos to private investors.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx