WHY IS MIKEL "NATURAL" CHOICE FOR CAPTAIN ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bully12
Egg
Egg
Re: WHY IS MIKEL "NATURAL" CHOICE FOR CAPTAIN ?

Post by bully12 »

Solowe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I think the answers can be found in the following:

1. The fact that Keshi actually consulted with Mikel most times during the former's tenure tells a lot. Go and look at why coaches are successful and how that is related to work with certain players and the qua;cities of such players. There is no evidence of this..keshi consulted with everyone and critiqued Mikel for not stepping up

2. Go back and look at Mikel's importance in a lot of issues leading players on various issues off the field along with Vincent. particularly. I dont see it. That's why i am questioning his "Natural" selection

3. Ask who was the most influential player on the field in the run to the 2013 ANC win. EMENIKE !!! MOSES !! Mr Solowe you are blatantly wrong. It was brazen obvious even to Steve Wonder that 2013 ANC championship team revolved around Mikel. But that was not this same in 2014 World Cup .

4. Read the recent interview at U23 camp with Umar Sadiq. Umar is suffering from the glittering lights of meeting a fading star.. When all of that wears off, he will understand he has to carry his own load and Mikel wont show up to help him

I think over the years people have made claims about the supposedly inappropriateness of Mkel as team leader without knowing much about the guy's work in the background. When he was ignored by Oliseh many said that Mikel had rejected the armband because he was not up to it (not the type to step up). This was far far from the truth as has been proven. Mikel rejected Oliseh because of other issues that will likely become public in the months to come. Let's leave it at that.

So I am not the only one saying it ??? :biggrin:

And what is all this great leadership he is doing in "background" ?? Is he like rumplestiltskin or secret santa ??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let cut the crap about the myth and deal with the facts, Mike is not a naturally born leader...and there is nothing wrong with that... lets stop thrusting responsibilities on the boy that he doesn't want !! His "natural leadership" is just wishful thinking on our part when we all have seen him for years and he has displayed no such abilities.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

All I remember is nothing being done post Onazi's injury in the France game and the difference in his energy level for Chelsea vs. Nigeria.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Cristao II wrote:All I remember is nothing being done post Onazi's injury in the France game and the difference in his energy level for Chelsea vs. Nigeria.
What about the elbow he took to the face from Giroud in front of the ref.. or the hot slap Odemwingie is rumored to have given him without reply :mrgreen:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Solowe wrote:
Edu wrote:
Solowe wrote:I really dont understand this thinking from Siasia or people in Nigeria about Mikel ??

What is so compelling about Mikel that makes him such a "natural" choice. Mikel has never exhibited any real leadership qualities on or off the football field. He is not captain at chelsea or even captain material, he is not a leader on the field like keshi, he is not vocal about anything, anywhere like Oliseh,... and has not supported any real causes or shown any inclination to lead like Odegbami. What makes him such a natural Choice ??

Solowe,
Im not sure where you get your info from bro, but let me tell you this.
I was with the team on wednesday. Yes just 1 day, but what I observed in Mikel'relationship with the team was a big brother and leader who happens to be also very humble. They obviously look up to him but yet he jokes around and is playfull with his team mates, including even the teenagers like Awoniyi etc.
He doesn't try to assume all the responsibilities either.

Azubuike took corners while etebo took free kicks..they are a true team.

Edu...Your eyewitness account just provided the smoking gun that proves my point. :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you have told me he wasn't joking around with anyone, that he displayed a seriousness of purpose at all times in training as an example to the teenager, and he was motivating all of them to be at their best, and he assumed more responsibility than he was given... then I know we have a leader !

Instead, you ascribed his "humility" as some sort of virtue, his delegating responsibilities as another virtue, and worst of all, his ability to joke around when he should have been showing a seriousness of purpose.

... Sorry my brother, you just proved my case for me. As I said, Mikel is not leadership material...I rest my case
Solowe

What you listed above shows you are unaware of what constitutes leadership. Really, someone who jokes around with others is not a good leader? I have heard it all but that statement certainly is a shock.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

Mikel is the most overrated SE player in my time and an example of the tribalism, corruption, low-self esteem and general lack of talent of Nigerian Football. Management and personnel. He is the definition of old glory, resting on one's laurels. He may have been serviceable once but he's been substandard for at least three years. All the stats point to this. Nigeria's performance points to this. He can't even pass sideways anymore and father time has caught up with him; He is slow.....so slow. He's not strong enough to shield the ball and this adds to his aversion to taking risks, (shots on goal, forward passing, free kicks).

He's not coming back to Chelsea. He'd be lucky to get an Italian or Turkish team. Everybody has moved on from this bust but Nigeria keeps holding on to losers and expecting victory.

Mikel and Onazi is not a winning midfield. It hasn't been for 4 freaking years.......try something new folks. Think outside the box
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

Mikel will be Team Nigeria's flag bearer at the Rio Olympics.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Enugu II wrote: Solowe,
Im not sure where you get your info from bro, but let me tell you this.
I was with the team on wednesday. Yes just 1 day, but what I observed in Mikel'relationship with the team was a big brother and leader who happens to be also very humble. They obviously look up to him but yet he jokes around and is playfull with his team mates, including even the teenagers like Awoniyi etc.
He doesn't try to assume all the responsibilities either.

Azubuike took corners while etebo took free kicks..they are a true team.
[/quote]

Edu...Your eyewitness account just provided the smoking gun that proves my point. :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you have told me he wasn't joking around with anyone, that he displayed a seriousness of purpose at all times in training as an example to the teenager, and he was motivating all of them to be at their best, and he assumed more responsibility than he was given... then I know we have a leader !

Instead, you ascribed his "humility" as some sort of virtue, his delegating responsibilities as another virtue, and worst of all, his ability to joke around when he should have been showing a seriousness of purpose.

... Sorry my brother, you just proved my case for me. As I said, Mikel is not leadership material...I rest my case
[/quote]

Solowe

What you listed above shows you are unaware of what constitutes leadership. Really, someone who jokes around with others is not a good leader? I have heard it all but that statement certainly is a shock.[/quote]
I dont know what leadership means for you, but I know the description that Edu provides suggest what I fear about his leadership abilities.

They are in training...He is supposedly the leader of the group...and he is Joking around...?? ... the leader of the group sets the mood in camp...He has to set the tone for seriousness of the mission at hand..Do you see Keshi joking around in training, do see Chukwu Joking around in training ?.. Let him joke on his own time...Mikel is not leadership material !!
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Because the issue of LEadership is now in focus, During these Olympics in RIO i will solely focus on Mikels leadership abilities game by game and will score his performance...after every game...( Scale of 1-10 )

Here are the top Qualities expected of Sports Leaders:

6. THE BEST CAPTAINS ARE THE HARDEST WORKERS
5. THE BEST CAPTAINS ENCOURAGE THEIR TEAMMATES
4. THE BEST CAPTAINS ARE HONEST AND TRUSTWORTHY
3. THE BEST CAPTAINS RESPECT OTHERS
2. THE BEST CAPTAINS CARE PASSIONATELY
1. THE BEST CAPTAINS ARE RELENTLESSLY COMPETITIVE AND COMPELLED TO WIN

Enugu II ...do you see joking around as one of the top qualities on that list ????

http://www.janssensportsleadership.com/ ... -captains/
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Solowe

There are a few things an effective leader needs. They are as follows:

1. Full understanding of who his/ her followers are.
2. Build strong relationship with followers. This is what generates trust. Without trust there is no strong effective leadership.
3. Persuade followers to accomplish task as independently as possible.

If Mikel jokes freely with the players who describe him as a role model then he is likely meeting #2 above.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Enugu II wrote:Solowe

2. Build strong relationship with followers. This is what generates trust. Without trust there is no strong effective leadership.

If Mikel jokes freely with the players who describe him as a role model then he is likely meeting #2 above.
Joking with people may have unintended consequences, it may put people at ease or it may make then not take you seriously, ...its a double edge sword. You dont need to be joking with people to build strong relationships...there other more effective ways.
Edu
Egg
Egg

Post by Edu »

Solowe wrote:

Joking with people may have unintended consequences, it may put people at ease or it may make then not take you seriously, ...its a double edge sword. You dont need to be joking with people to build strong relationships...there other more effective ways.

Lol. Solowe, I'm Not sure whether to laugh with you or at you. Anyways, since you provided the list, let me add that the fact that he doesn't jump on every set piece or attempts to do it all means he respects the abilities of his team mates/the young guys he is leading.
Thats # 3 for you.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Edu wrote:
Solowe wrote:

Lol. Solowe, I'm Not sure whether to laugh with you or at you. Anyways, since you provided the list, let me add that the fact that he doesn't jump on every set piece or attempts to do it all means he respects the abilities of his team mates/the young guys he is leading.
Thats # 3 for you.
Sorry Edu...Case don close o! Verdict has been rendered. :mrgreen:

Anyway, keep you eye out for my game-by-game analysis of his leadership qualities. I will be analysing the game around his leadership actions on the field.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Edu... you are right..see Mikel or is it now Michael playing and joking with the young ones at the airport in Brazil,,,, this guy is not serious men.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

All while this is going on, a player revolt has happened according to allnigeriasoccer.com. The upset players have possibly abandoned the leadership and are now following the guidance of Mikel. Although, other reports have refuted the claims of player unrest, so who knows how accurate that may be.

Thankfully the team is finally off to the airport just 28 hours ahead of their opening match.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Bump
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?