Rohr Impressed by NPFL Stars in SE Camp....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rohr Impressed by NPFL Stars in SE Camp....

Post by Enugu II »

Rohr’s assessment of Super Eagles’ 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers
https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/rohrs-a ... lncggs81qg
Gbenga Adewoye
@Gregoal001
Last updated Apr 02, 2021
20:33 Apr 01, 2021

The German tactician has expressed his delight with the performances of the three-time African champions in the campaign
Nigeria national team Gernot Rohr has taken time to give an appraisal of his side in the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers and thanked fans for their support.

The Super Eagles ended the qualifying campaign unbeaten, recording four wins and two draws to finish top of the Group L table.
They also qualified for the biennial tournament with two games to spare after Lesotho and Sierra Leone played out a draw on matchday five, before the three-time African champions faced the Republic of Benin.

Thereafter they had a dead-rubber outing against Lesotho in their last qualifying game in Lagos.
Rohr has expressed his satisfaction with the displays from his side during the campaign and promised fans they will see the Super Eagles play more good football.
“It was a good result to win 3-0 against Lesotho. We did not concede a goal and we wanted to be more solid after our two games in November [against Sierra Leone],” Rohr told the media.
“We did two clean sheets it is good for the team’s stability. To also score four goals was also interesting. We recorded four wins and two draws, same as we did for the [2018] World Cup qualifiers.
"We thank Nigerians for the support, even after the two draws against Sierra Leone. The World Cup qualifiers will start soon, I think we will be able to do well.
“Nigerians should expect good football again and on a good pitch I hope. Lagos did very well but they still have to improve especially in the area of traffic.”
Enyimba duo John Noble and Anayo Iwuala, and Abia Warriors defender Adekunle Adeleke made Rohr’s team against Benin and Lesotho.
The 67-year-old has now revealed his satisfaction with the Nigeria Professional Football League stars.
"Iwuala is a good player, he played two games. In his first game, a lot of people were surprised by his performance. Noble and Adeleke also gave a good impression in training," he continued.
Rohr also explained he enjoys a free hand in the selection of his team without interference from the president of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick.
“I’m working with him now for five years, and there is confidence, trust, and also for me, it’s important that he lets me work in my independence. I can choose my players, I can do my list, and I also appreciate his loyalty,” he told Hip TV.
Nigeria have now qualified for two consecutive Africa Cup of Nations under the guidance of Rohr, finishing third at the last edition of the continental tournament in Egypt.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr Impressed by NPFL Stars in SE Camp....

Post by vancity eagle »

I suspect there is still a strong element behind the scenes lobbying for the inclusion of home based players and even perhaps a 2 or 3 player quota.

It was good to have the homebased guys as backups with all the Covid nonsense going, but I suspect that once all that wahala has stopped it will be back to the norm, unless those in the shadows truly have their claws on Rohr.

Rohr even hinted that these guys were just called up because of Covid.