Mourinho criticizes players and Ref after Derby Loss

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Mourinho criticizes players and Ref after Derby Loss

Post by txj »

José Mourinho questioned whether some of his players were able to cope with the pressures of the Manchester derby, accusing them of “really poor individual performances” after a 2-1 defeat that finished with him heavily criticising the referee, Mark Clattenburg, as well as his own team.

Mourinho was incensed that Clattenburg did not award his team a penalty and show a red card to Claudio Bravo after Manchester City’s new goalkeeper, at fault for Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s goal, dived into a challenge on Wayne Rooney 11 minutes into the second half.

However, the Manchester United manager also turned on his own players for the first time since taking the job in the summer. Henrikh Mkhitaryan was substituted at half-time on his first start since signing from Borussia Dortmund. Jesse Lingard was also substituted during the interval but Mourinho said there were other players who had performed badly.

“I didn’t change after 20 minutes because I didn’t want to destroy the players,” Mourinho said. “I didn’t want to make three changes at half-time, but if it was a sport with a free number of changes I would have done it after 20 minutes. I made a couple of decisions [with the starting lineup] because I thought the individual qualities of certain players would give me what I wanted. But I didn’t get it.

“But it is not just about them. We lost the ball very easily. Even our central defenders [Eric Bailly and Daley Blind], who were top-class until today, lost easy balls. What I told them at half-time was: ‘For some of you, it looks like you are trying to do what I told you not to do.’ I had told the players 20 times never to play a first-station ball – ‘never, because they [City] want to press, so never do that’ – and they did it 20 times.

“I think some of the boys felt the dimension of the game. Everything around the game – the derby, the big game, Man United, Man City, the focus, the attention. Some of the guys, they felt it. But it had nothing to do with inexperience or age because we have the kid [Marcus Rashford] in the second half and the kid looked like he was playing in the under-18s against Salford City. It’s about the individual and how everyone reacts to the dimension of the occasion in different ways. It’s difficult to predict.”

Kevin De Bruyne had opened the scoring for City and Kelechi Iheanacho doubled their lead in the 35th minute before Ibrahimovic capitalised on Bravo’s mistake to score the goal that set up a thrilling second half. Bravo, signed from Barcelona to replace Joe Hart, had a difficult debut but Pep Guardiola was supportive of his new signing.

“Claudio Bravo’s personality showed me a lot today,” the City manager said. “Sometimes when that happens maybe the player can think: ‘It is my fault.’ Instead Claudio said: ‘OK, it’s football, we were unlucky, the situation is unlucky,’ and in the second half look what he did – he played again and again with the ball. He was amazing with his feet – saves, going to attack the ball. I am happy for him. It was not an easy first game, after two training sessions, coming here to Old Trafford, and to play with that personality means a lot.”

Mourinho was less impressed and thought the goalkeeper should have been sent off. “I know the rules of the game. It’s obvious it was a penalty and a red card for Bravo. If it was outside the box, a direct free-kick and a red card. Inside the box, it is more difficult [for a referee] because it’s a big decision and sometimes referees are like us, human, and think twice before big decisions.

“If he [Clattenburg] doesn’t think twice, it’s a penalty and a red card with a big possibility of 2-2 and a lot of time to go. We could have been talking about a completely different story. We were punished by our bad first half, my responsibility, and we were punished by Mark with his bad decisions in the second half.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... le-penalty
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
tunde72
Egg
Egg
Re: Mourinho criticizes players and Ref after Derby Loss

Post by tunde72 »

He don start.
YOU CAN ACHIEVE MORE ON YOUR KNEE THAN SPEAKING.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

tunde72 wrote:He don start.
I think he is in the right.

That was a Penalty IMO and also his players were pathetic.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
tunde72
Egg
Egg

Post by tunde72 »

Tbite wrote:

He may be right on the penalty. ManCity too have one that was not given. But why is he criticizing his players in the press? Same thing he did that caused his downfall in Chelsea and Real Madrid.
YOU CAN ACHIEVE MORE ON YOUR KNEE THAN SPEAKING.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Tbite wrote:

It wasn't a penalty. Bravo got the ball. Aside from that, he has has lost 9 times to Pep and won 3 times. He should be looking at himself. ..... Who saw the boy from guinea?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Mou is the reason why Bailly and Blind were exploited. In fact it took Mou a little while to recognize that DeBruyne was creating problems by stacking the CDs from midfield. This resulted in Bailly and Blind following DeBruyne when no one in midfield picked him up, resulting in openings behind the CDs that City attackers exploited

I don't think Moi should be throwing his players under the bus at this point. He should lead by example and accept responsibility when he screws up. The supposed PK was debatable but truth is his team did not play well enough to win the game or get a draw. So him moaning about PKs is pretty lame
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This short clown don start,hopefully his players turn on him and force him out like Chelsea players did.
He is Pep official wife,no shame in that,he should man up and accept that.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

He should bring in Neymar and Messi during the January window to solve the riddle.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
peppersoup
Egg
Egg

Post by peppersoup »

The interview I listed to, he blade himself for the choice of player in the first half and blamed the referee for the second haff
"His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

nemi2002 wrote:
Tbite wrote:

It wasn't a penalty. Bravo got the ball. Aside from that, he has has lost 9 times to Pep and won 3 times. He should be looking at himself. ..... Who saw the boy from guinea?
Should be. It was dangerous, studs were raised.

It makes no sense if that is not a penalty, but if it was an outfield player...the outfield player would be given a red card.

Refereeing is a joke because there is no consistency.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Dr. Wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

YUJAM wrote:Mou is the reason why Bailly and Blind were exploited. In fact it took Mou a little while to recognize that DeBruyne was creating problems by stacking the CDs from midfield. This resulted in Bailly and Blind following DeBruyne when no one in midfield picked him up, resulting in openings behind the CDs that City attackers exploited

I don't think Moi should be throwing his players under the bus at this point. He should lead by example and accept responsibility when he screws up. The supposed PK was debatable but truth is his team did not play well enough to win the game or get a draw. So him moaning about PKs is pretty lame
Mourinho may not be at Man U next season if he starts putting his players under too much pressure. Let it go and just move on....
--- Let brotherly love continue ---
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Tbite wrote:

I suppose he's completely blameless.

There penalty was iffy. Bravo got the ball clean despite showing studs. That's not the reason his team lost.

Lingard apparently was just returning from injury so perhaps he wasn't physically or mentally ready. And maybe some of the new players also needed time to settle into the physicality of the EPL before having to play in a derby.

Point is we don't know and it was Mourinho's job to figure that out...something he (and not the players) failed at. Besides his tactics in the first half doomed the team to playing catchup in the second half.

This is my problem with him...he takes all the credit for his success yet refuses to accept responsibility for his failures...just like Wenger.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

And welcome to an all new episode of the "I win, they lose" show starring Jose Mourinho.

Good manager but his pre and post game shtick is getting is so stale.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

peppersoup wrote:The interview I listed to, he blade himself for the choice of player in the first half and blamed the referee for the second haff
Yeah I saw that too. He said the players didn't handle it well but it was his fault because he is the manager and his decisions... It wasn't a throw-them-to-the-dogs rant or anything... He actually sounded and looked humbled for a change.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Borinho the 'football-coward' don come again oo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I could have sworn he blamed everyone INCLUDING himself. But he should know better that this us what the narrative is going to be. This is Mou for you sha. The man speaks his mind a little too much.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Mourinho is spot on 100%. There were a number of players out there that didn't know what it means to play for Man Utd. They should have scored a goal or two in that 2nd half. That's why Fergie was shaking his head towards the end.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

felarey wrote:Mourinho is spot on 100%. There were a number of players out there that didn't know what it means to play for Man Utd. They should have scored a goal or two in that 2nd half. That's why Fergie was shaking his head towards the end.
Nonsense and idiotic rantings from a .............'coward of a coach'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Mourinho to make New signing in January

Oya back to the matter
open and close
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Tbite wrote:

It wasn't a pk. Perfect side footed tackle by Bravo. One problem with a good manager like Jose is over analyzing and over planning for every possibility. Some players won't respond well due to over thinking things as opposed to just playing their natural game. In any event, Jose shouldn't have blamed the 2 chaps who were subbed at HT.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Borinho and Manure should consider themselves lucky that the decision making of Kelechi, Nolito and Sterling needs major improvement, not to mention the missing Aguero. City should have been 6-0 in the first half.

If he and Pep had switched teams, the result would most likely have been the same. One coach is proactive and set up his team to play football, using space and movement. While the other coach set up his team to be reactive and try and capitalise on the other side's mistakes. So the fault for handing over the initiative to City is the coach's and it didn't matter which players he picked.

City took the game to Manure and were rewarded for their positivity.
http://www.naijiant.com/
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Prince wrote:Mourinho to make New signing in January

:rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

kajifu wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This short clown don start,hopefully his players turn on him and force him out like Chelsea players did.
He is Pep official wife,no shame in that,he should man up and accept that.
Exactly. Wenger is however official wife to Pep and Mourinho :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”