SPURS 2016/17 GAMES: EPL - Hull 1 v 7 SPURS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SPURS 2016/17 GAMES: EPL -W'Ham 1 v 0 SPURS (Fri)

Post by toyin133 »

5 added minutes
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur and the Spurs go marching on
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
Danny Blanchflower
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Well done guys. 2nd place in a season where we were selected to finish 6th. Solid advancement and improvement in the team with Poch. Next season might be tougher with Wembley. I look forward to seeing how we look next season.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

The fans at the stadium were singing all through the match and we at the bar sang along. It was a special moment for me to be in the company of fans of the club, many who had rich history to tell. We even had some memorabilia to take away to mark the day.

I was very impressed with the professionalism on display. We took United apart in the first half even though we were cruising in 2nd gear all the way. DeGea had one of his best days despite chopping 2 goals. Dele was not as effective as he could be though he put in a shift in the defensive end, Son either shines or fades and today wasn't one of his best performances. Eriksen is the talisman and I hope he stays another season. Wanyama the beast, what more can I say? Walker came in for Trippier who had an above average game and he showed his quality. Walker must not be allowed to leave and as one of the longest serving member of the team he should be one of the top earners of the club.

What should we do with the last 2 matches now that 2nd place is secured? Play the fringe players so that they can first team experience? Players like Nkoudou, Janssen and Onomah need some playing time. Leicester is going to be tough while Hull is already relegated.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39915228

A lot has been said about Mesut Ozil. Love him or hate him - and I love him - there is no denying he is a wonderful footballer. Is he in the right team? Probably not. A player with his talent would be more appreciated at a club like Tottenham. Now at this moment I may have Arsenal fans foaming at the mouth at the very thought of Ozil defecting to White Hart Lane but frankly it is a better fit.

When Sol Campbell decided to move to Arsenal from Spurs it was because the player was desperate to win trophies. A perfectly acceptable position for a professional footballer to take and a fact that Spurs fans have never been able to come to terms with. However, Ozil's style of football is perfect for Spurs and he has already won things with Arsenal. His overall performance against Stoke, which is always a hard nut to crack, was superb while his goal was sublime.

Only at Spurs will the fans accommodate players like Ozil. You see, at Spurs it is all about the football while at Arsenal it is all about the winning.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

Great atmosphere in the pub outside WHL and we tried to break into the ground. Wanyama was a beast as usual. Kane, Son and Eriksen should have scored more. Trippier and Davies played well. We seemed to lose concentration after 75 mins. We managed to maintain the result and can't believe we let Rooney scored against us.

I watched the farewell ceremony video and that was emotional though I have experienced worst moment than the best at WHL. But that was great to see Ardiles, Villa, King, Keane, Waddle, Hoddle, Ginola, Sheringham, Chivers even Anderton etc but not the likes of Nielsen, Crooks, Edinburgh, Samways - those guys ruined my childhood experiences as a Spurs supporter. Shame there was no Gascoigne, Lineker, Kilnsmann, Graves, Bale at WHL etc. I observed Walker's body language like he is desperate to leave.

Nice seeing the rainbow over WHL yesterday.

Looking forward to next season.

THFC 4 LIFE
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

Its a Goal wrote:The fans at the stadium were singing all through the match and we at the bar sang along. It was a special moment for me to be in the company of fans of the club, many who had rich history to tell. We even had some memorabilia to take away to mark the day.

I was very impressed with the professionalism on display. We took United apart in the first half even though we were cruising in 2nd gear all the way. DeGea had one of his best days despite chopping 2 goals. Dele was not as effective as he could be though he put in a shift in the defensive end, Son either shines or fades and today wasn't one of his best performances. Eriksen is the talisman and I hope he stays another season. Wanyama the beast, what more can I say? Walker came in for Trippier who had an above average game and he showed his quality. Walker must not be allowed to leave and as one of the longest serving member of the team he should be one of the top earners of the club.

What should we do with the last 2 matches now that 2nd place is secured? Play the fringe players so that they can first team experience? Players like Nkoudou, Janssen and Onomah need some playing time. Leicester is going to be tough while Hull is already relegated.
No chance. Let him go for £40mil in the summer. Man City want him? Let him join them and we hope to get Kelechi and maybe Tosin Adarabioyo. Then, we better a RB to compete with Trippier.
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

Cristao II wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39915228

A lot has been said about Mesut Ozil. Love him or hate him - and I love him - there is no denying he is a wonderful footballer. Is he in the right team? Probably not. A player with his talent would be more appreciated at a club like Tottenham. Now at this moment I may have Arsenal fans foaming at the mouth at the very thought of Ozil defecting to White Hart Lane but frankly it is a better fit.

When Sol Campbell decided to move to Arsenal from Spurs it was because the player was desperate to win trophies. A perfectly acceptable position for a professional footballer to take and a fact that Spurs fans have never been able to come to terms with. However, Ozil's style of football is perfect for Spurs and he has already won things with Arsenal. His overall performance against Stoke, which is always a hard nut to crack, was superb while his goal was sublime.

Only at Spurs will the fans accommodate players like Ozil. You see, at Spurs it is all about the football while at Arsenal it is all about the winning.
There are better players to sign than 'Has anybody seen Mezut Ozil?'. Ozil is not suited to the Premier League environment.
@ highlighted red - I'd rather to see a team winning trophies than play football and dancing around mid-table/relegation a la Spurs in the 90s.
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

By the way, worst pitch invasion I have seen in a football match. The pitch invasion at Shelhust Park in 1999 was much better.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

kenmega wrote:By the way, worst pitch invasion I have seen in a football match. The pitch invasion at Shelhust Park in 1999 was much better.
Celebratory Invasion. :tic: Anywayz, shortco manure fell yesterday and the bulldozers move in today

Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Pajimoh, change title.

I also love this post from another board.
Ah, nail on the head! You said it, brother. I can't stand fans who says it's all about winning this or that trophy. Winning a trophy is obviously the greatest achievement, but you must be a pretty sad fudge if you think winning trophies are the only thing to following a football club. And all this gonads about "this team won't be remembered if they don't win anything" flimflam - maybe not by flavour of the month pundits or your average neutral, but I'm pretty fudging sure every Tottenham fan on the planet will remember the team we've had these last few seasons. Heck, I even remember the bricky team that finished 14th back in 1999 and Klinsi's 4 against Wimbledon! It was ace! Do I remember who won the Premier League in 2005? fudge, no, couldn't care less.
Thousands of people faithfully turn up to watch their clubs in the lower leagues when there is no prospect of winning things and their clubs have existed decades, often more than a century, without ever winning anything. They go for the entertainment, the comradery, as an escape, etc. Winning something is a bonus.

Reading and hearing people's memories about WHL is refreshing. Stories about childhood memories, reminiscences about lost parents and grandparents or first experiences with children and grandchildren, great moments and bad moments from games, players that gave pleasure beyond just churning out wins, the myriad reasons why people watch the game, all show that football is more than just a game. Vacuous comments like they've got to win something if they are to be remembered show how out of touch some of the pundits are.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... ave-stage/

Tottenham show the world how to leave a stage

This is the way to leave a stage: with a 17th home win in an unbeaten league campaign at a classic English ground, soon to be swallowed by a super stadium.

With this victory over Manchester United in game No 2,533 at White Hart Lane, Mauricio Pochettino’s team confirmed what Tottenham are really all about: less girders and concrete than silk and steel. The whole point in coming to these places is to watch fine footballers. That was always the Spurs religion, and moving to a colossal new arena a few dozen yards away will not change that faith.

This could have been a day of mourning for another title race lost, this time to Chelsea, after last year’s stumble in the face of Leicester’s unstoppable ascent. But there was nothing to grieve for here, as Spurs finished second in the top flight for the first time since 1963.

A very good Premier League team was edged out by a better one in this year’s title race, and now Spurs are joining the big league of English arenas, after a brief exile at Wembley that is bound to test the progress made over the last two years. When the closing ceremony was over, Glenn Hoddle pointed his umbrella at a perfect rainbow above the East Stand.

For the first time since 1964-65, Spurs went through a league season undefeated on their own turf. Then that grass was invaded by delirious supporters who had to be asked countless times by a stressed announcer to clear the pitch for the Farewell Ceremony.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cristao II wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... ave-stage/

Tottenham show the world how to leave a stage

This is the way to leave a stage: with a 17th home win in an unbeaten league campaign at a classic English ground, soon to be swallowed by a super stadium.

With this victory over Manchester United in game No 2,533 at White Hart Lane, Mauricio Pochettino’s team confirmed what Tottenham are really all about: less girders and concrete than silk and steel. The whole point in coming to these places is to watch fine footballers. That was always the Spurs religion, and moving to a colossal new arena a few dozen yards away will not change that faith.

This could have been a day of mourning for another title race lost, this time to Chelsea, after last year’s stumble in the face of Leicester’s unstoppable ascent. But there was nothing to grieve for here, as Spurs finished second in the top flight for the first time since 1963.

A very good Premier League team was edged out by a better one in this year’s title race, and now Spurs are joining the big league of English arenas, after a brief exile at Wembley that is bound to test the progress made over the last two years. When the closing ceremony was over, Glenn Hoddle pointed his umbrella at a perfect rainbow above the East Stand.

For the first time since 1964-65, Spurs went through a league season undefeated on their own turf. Then that grass was invaded by delirious supporters who had to be asked countless times by a stressed announcer to clear the pitch for the Farewell Ceremony.
Who says places don't have spirit? The old girl made sure no team would leave her terrain with all 3 points. Even a rainbow came to bid her farewell. Ironically, it was the devils that was put to the sword in the finale. How biblical - How prophetic. Good bye old girl. We welcome your new incarnation with a glorious body
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SPURS 2016/17 GAMES: EPL -SPURS 2 v 1 Man Utd (Fri)

Post by Cristao II »

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cristao II wrote:Image
Someone will come in and mention "Leicester" in 5,4,3,2,1.... but they'll conveniently ignore Blackburn and Leeds.

Bottom line, we are heading the right way. A systematic growth and not a one off hit and long term bust.

The stadium should improve our financial prospect in the long term.
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

This is all well and good but Levy has to start paying some of the better players their market worth or they will justifiably want to move.
Danny Blanchflower
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Did I hear Wenger complaining about teams having a "breather" and taking games easy because they are safe from the drop? Well, he didn't complain last year when every team wanted to play Spurs like we were villains of the peace and most were willing Leicester on and failing to turn up against them.

Welcome to the new EPL Monsieur Wenger
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

toyin133 wrote:
This is all well and good but Levy has to start paying some of the better players their market worth or they will justifiably want to move.
I am strongly with Levy on whatever he chooses. We have lost Modric, Bale et al and yet who would imagine that the team would get stronger.

We are not going to pay the crazy monies that City, Utd and Chelsea pay their players. That is suicidal. Lingard is on almost 100k per week!! That is a waste.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

pajimoh wrote:Did I hear Wenger complaining about teams having a "breather" and taking games easy because they are safe from the drop? Well, he didn't complain last year when every team wanted to play Spurs like we were villains of the peace and most were willing Leicester on and failing to turn up against them.

Welcome to the new EPL Monsieur Wenger
Leave him. He keeps on finding new excuses. If I were him, I would state that this year was a blip and a chance for the team to get stronger mentally and that the team would be stronger next year.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Cristao II wrote:
toyin133 wrote:
I am strongly with Levy on whatever he chooses. We have lost Modric, Bale et al and yet who would imagine that the team would get stronger.

We are not going to pay the crazy monies that City, Utd and Chelsea pay their players. That is suicidal. Lingard is on almost 100k per week!! That is a waste.
Then you had better be prepared to watch a team full of players who are not good enough to play for your main rivals and one of the most coveted managers in European football leave for a club who do not regularly sell their best players. Why should players like Alli, Toby, Rose et al who are amongst the best in their positions play for relative peanuts when scrubs like Lingard are raking it in at other clubs?
This team has to stay together until the completion of the new stadium and the revenues it brings. Spurs will more than recoup the benefits in improved sponsorships and tv money.
Danny Blanchflower
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

toyin133 wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
toyin133 wrote:

Then you had better be prepared to watch a team full of players who are not good enough to play for your main rivals and one of the most coveted managers in European football leave for a club who do not regularly sell their best players. Why should players like Alli, Toby, Rose et al who are amongst the best in their positions play for relative peanuts when scrubs like Lingard are raking it in at other clubs?
This team has to stay together until the completion of the new stadium and the revenues it brings. Spurs will more than recoup the benefits in improved sponsorships and tv money.
If they dont want to earn the 'peanuts', then I can accept them going. No way will I welcome Spurs paying the ridiculous wages I see at certain clubs. Modric, Bale, Berbatov, Sheringham left .. The so called other clubs are welcome to continue wrecking the game by overpaying players and killing their spirit of ambition.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Rose and Lamela went through surgery.

Tottenham are without Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose and Kyle Walker for tomorrow's trip to Leicester.

Mauricio Pochettino says he may change formation for the game.

"We have different options, maybe we will change the formation. It is good for us to be creative. We want to win our last two games, that is important.

"We can not change the table butwe want to finish well. To finish second was a good thing now we need to finish the last two games with a good feeling."
kenmega
Egg
Egg
Re: SPURS 2016/17 GAMES: EPL -Leic'ter 0 v 0 SPURS (Wed)

Post by kenmega »

pajimoh wrote:Rose and Lamela went through surgery.

Tottenham are without Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose and Kyle Walker for tomorrow's trip to Leicester.

Mauricio Pochettino says he may change formation for the game.

"We have different options, maybe we will change the formation. It is good for us to be creative. We want to win our last two games, that is important.

"We can not change the table butwe want to finish well. To finish second was a good thing now we need to finish the last two games with a good feeling."
Looks like we will be playing Eric Dier at RB even Kyle Walker-Peters is not available.