The truth about SE preparation for Zambia

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: The truth about SE preparation for Zambia

Post by 1naija »

fabio wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
KPOM. Pa Jimoh, you stated it all.

Negotiation is not something you go in to beg. Nike, of course, will claim that the SE's status has fallen because such a claim gets them in spending little. But a good NFF negotiator would have raised the points raised here by Pa Jimoh instead of Pinnick swallowing Nike's take.
I hope you are not falling for 1naija trap....

My great grand mother would have negotiated a better deal. Pinnick didn't take anyone from the marketing department, went alone to london and signed a piss poor deal. When challenged he started crying about a weak position. AFCON winner, Confederation Cup participation, World Cup second and a minus of not qualifying for AFCON is not a weak position.
No kit manufacturer gives you money because you won those tournaments. Show them how many jerseys have sold in the last 2 years to start with.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

1naija wrote:
fabio wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Negotiation is not something you go in to beg. Nike, of course, will claim that the SE's status has fallen because such a claim gets them in spending little. But a good NFF negotiator would have raised the points raised here by Pa Jimoh instead of Pinnick swallowing Nike's take.

My great grand mother would have negotiated a better deal. Pinnick didn't take anyone from the marketing department, went alone to london and signed a piss poor deal. When challenged he started crying about a weak position. AFCON winner, Confederation Cup participation, World Cup second and a minus of not qualifying for AFCON is not a weak position.
No kit manufacturer gives you money because you won those tournaments. Show them how many jerseys have sold in the last 2 years to start with.
Pinnick did not talk about jerseys sold. He mentioned Gabon. He could have, at worst, taken a performance related contract. We sell this amount and we get this amount. All he need do is sweat a little by informing all SE loving fans to patronize the kit so the team can be liquefied. In response to your earlier question, I buy Nigeria jersey as a matter of pride. I even had the useless lime green made by Nike, covered with signature from the naija team that played at Watford a while back
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:
fabio wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

1naija,

No national team is involving in selling the kit and no kit manufacturer expects them to do so directly. What the kit manufacturers pay for is to be associated, as much as possible, with elite teams and brands with the hope that such association will ultimately lead to sales. Association with Nigeria and Nigerian footballers who play all over the world is certainly far more valuable than getting a conditional $500,000 (only if you reach the World Cup finals!) in a 3-year contract. Winning the CAN will have photos going all over the world and the Nike logo is prominently displayed for fans all over the world.

Bros, TBH, there is very little defense that you can offer for the deal reportedly signed by Pinnick. It was a poor deal and don't be surprised that a better deal gets signed even with the CAN win, Confed Cup, 2014 WC further distanced from the team.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

pajimoh wrote:
1naija wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
1naija wrote:
Cellular wrote:
pajimoh wrote:1Naiara is a worn out record. He expects everyone to go get the info on the deal Nigeria signed.

When your own chief is retweeting the soundbite Nike gave him to drive down the deal in their favor then you know he's clueless. It is possible even countries who don't have the tradition and the population of Nigeria has negotiated better deals.

Here 1Naira, feast on this
Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) President, Amaju Pinnick has admitted that the organisation negotiated the current kitting deal with Nike from a weak point of strength and that she is currently finding it difficult to raise fund for all the national teams representing the country in different international championships because it is broke.

The NFF also disclosed that the present board is battling to repay a huge debt portfolio, which it inherited from the former board led by Aminu Maigari.

He said that the board has serious financial challenges, even as it works hard to ensure that the national teams get the best preparations to enable them do well in championships.

Pinnick, however, noted that the huge debt was not as a result of their recklessness, but because they were determined to give the national teams quality preparations for international championships, which yielded positive results with the victories Nigeria recorded within the past four years. “We are facing very difficult times preparing all the national teams with little fund.

For example, to bring about 20 Super Eagles players to camp for a match takes between $80, 000 to $90, 000. Things are very difficult for us at the federation. In spite of that we are still trying to put certain things in order,” he said.

Pinnick also explained the situation that compelled the federation to sign the $750, 000 kit contract with Nike, admitted that the federation entered into negotiations with the sports kitter from a weak position in terms of strength.

He revealed that the NFF did the deal just for the purpose of securing kit sponsorship for the national teams after all other companies it earlier approached rejected it. You will recall we told you that Puma rejected Nigeria.

Pinnick also stated that the current position of the Super Eagles, as well as the fact the national team did not qualify for the last Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea also counted against the federation in the deal, where Nike’s responsibility would only be to supply kits worth $750,000 to the national teams for three and a-half year period.

Reacting to criticisms that had trailed the contract last week in some big media organisations, Pinnick said the deal was the best the federation could get, stressing that it was in a very pitiable situation that even lesser companies were rejecting the country’s proposals. “I kept that contract to myself for a long time before I decided to share it with the secretariat. I can tell you that the last four years has been the best period of Nigerian football.’

Now we are supposed to be a choice candidate for corporate kit sponsors, but regrettably no sponsor wants to identify with us.

That is food for thought; we would not want to go into details. I spoke with almost every kit manufacturing company but no one was able to pen a deal with us. So when Nike came with their conditions, we said okay, why not. We had serious challenges securing kit sponsors for our various teams,” he revealed.

He spoke during a parley with members of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, FCT chapter on Tuesday. The NFF boss made a passionate appeal to the media to always have it in mind that the country is bigger than every individual and that the interest of the country must override every sentiment or personal ambition.

“I am here simply to make a passionate appeal to you all, to always seek to know, to ask and to understand before going to press. We have seen a couple of articles in the media in recent weeks that showed clearly, a lack of understanding of the workings of the Federation.

“I am not saying that the media should not criticise the NFF; that is not possible. Criticisms make us stronger, make us better and makes us wiser. But destructive criticisms are not in the best interest of anyone or the country, because whatever you people write goes round the world and is taken serious by people in diverse places.”

Pinnick shed more light on the recent kit sponsorship agreement the NFF signed with American company NIKE, insisting that global best practice was observed every inch of the way and that negotiating from a weak position, and having been rejected by several other brands, did not make things easy for the Federation.

He reiterated that he is not supposed to resume at the NFF Secretariat on a daily basis, as day-to-day administration is left in the hands of the General Secretary, who is the Chief Operating Officer. If I am not around, there is the 1st Vice President, and if he’s not around, there is the 2nd Vice President, that way down the line. My absence should not generate any furore, moreover I went on a medical trip and this was made known.

“This country is bigger than all of us put together. We should always first consider the interest of the country in anything we say or do.”

Pinnick also decried criticism of the Federation’s renovation of the Glass House.

“The Sunday Dankaro House is government property, and the money we got for the furnishing from Governor Godswill Akpabio is government money, so due diligence is mandatory. If the building was private property and we had private funds, we could have moved into the place long ago. But there is due process to be followed in everything we wish to do there and we are being guided by the Bureau for Public Procurement. Also, we have to renovate the old building because the Leagues will move there once the Secretariat moves to Sunday Dankaro House.”

Also at the briefing were members of the NFF Executive Committee, Hon. Suleiman Yahaya-Kwande, Alhaji Yusuf Ahmed Fresh, Mrs Dilichukwu Onyedinma and Alhaji Ahmad Kawu, General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, Deputy General Secretary, Dr. Emmanuel Ikpeme and Director of Finance and Administration, Mr. Chris Andekin.
Make up your own damn mind
Your post have been flagged for Internet bullying.. :D :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Actually, the post states nothing. It only confirms what I have been saying. The deal was based on the current marketability value of the team. He should provide data that show otherwise and not confirm what I have been saying.
You've been saying nothing. I once told you there are trained negotiators. Is Pinnick a trained negotiator? What does he mean by "pI kept the contract to myself for a few days before sharing it with the secretariat?" I mean what da feck? Is there no such thing as a board? Should they not have reviewed the contract in the presence of an expert? He thinks he knows it all. In fact he sounded like a Nike employee telling Nigeria why we should take the deal.

He talked about not qualifying for Gabon. How about the fact that we are 2013 champion, 5 times wc participants. One of 2 African countries to make the second round of the wc.
You then have ask, is the kit deal for the male senior team only? If the answer is no, then add the most successful female team in Africa. The most successful u27 team in the world. The most successful u20 team in Africa. Ladies u17/u20.

You realize we send a monkey yo negotiate and he came back with bananas.

Tomorrow I will research other African teams kit deals. I suspect if Pinnick was sent to negotiate on behalf the likes of Rwanda, Uganda, South Africa etc they'd probably be paying Nike instead of the other way round.
One simple question ... do you own an official SE jersey? One that you bought through an NFF authorized dealer and not one you bought at airwolex t-shirt shop?
fishing in the dark mate. If you want to sell your house, give to Pinnick. You'll end up owing the buyer

I am not defending Pinnick or any decision he may or may not have made, I am just asking the supposedly smarter Nigerians to put up some data to back of their claims. You can't claim something is bad if you don't know what good is. Based on the discussion so far I don't see how you would have been any better than pinnick when you can produce any data to support your position.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

EII, moreover, some of this kit manufacturers would make the SE kit readily available. You have to search high and low just to get one
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote: This says nothing. You need data like shown for clubs in the link below for African countries. You are a stats guy, so you the know the value of such information. Only such data can tell us if whether even Bafana Bafana got a good deal or not. It could turn out that Bafana Bafana's deal is even worse than Nigeria.

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/cl ... irt-sales/
The guy negotiated the contract himself. Hid it from his board and sold it to his board that it is the best deal for him. I actually was aware of efforts to get him to retain a team to help Naija get the best kit deal that is out there. He refused. He wanted a known brand like Nike. Fact was that he went begging to Nike.

As far as the marketability of our brand is concerned, just go to any online retailer of soccer jerseys (soccer.com, worldsoccershop.com, etc). They don't have any in stock because ours routinely sell out. The deal is so bad that we are not even listed on Nike website as one of the countries they sponsor or whom you can purchase their kit on the site.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

@1Naija, please keep Uganda out of it, because a bare footed and shirtless Uganda Cranes team will beat a well kitted 9ja eagles any day. :twisted:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

1Naija do you really think we are the only one asking the same questions? Do you think Pinnick is so clued up that everyone is wrong and he negotiated the best deal? The fact that he negotiated the deal and I insist, unless he's a trained negotiator, then we were already disadvantaged. Even trained negotiator would often think they could have done better, how much more Pinnick, coming back with just kit and no money? He might as well gave signed with a local manufacturers from Abia
For the love of the SE and not hating on Pinnick, he did not try at all. He's sold us down the river for the next 3 years. He's probably adversely affect our next deal
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:
I am not defending Pinnick or any decision he may or may not have made, I am just asking the supposedly smarter Nigerians to put up some data to back of their claims. You can't claim something is bad if you don't know what good is. Based on the discussion so far I don't see how you would have been any better than pinnick when you can produce any data to support your position.
He had the data and he had funds to source additional data if he wanted. If you expected any CE person to have better data than Pinnick, then it will be gravely disappointing considering that we are talking about an NFF President here.

Yet, with the little data that we have put forward, it is probable that a better deal would have been obtained. There were options available to him, BTW. Instead, Pinnick obtained a deal that was barely better than what Zimbabwe and the other far weaker soccer nations have obtained in Africa.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Maybe Delta Airlines can come to the rescue...again.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Mankinka wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Mankinka wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Mankinka wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Mankinka wrote:We are waiting for you. After Sunday we do not want any excuses. Nigeria is awash with money I am not buying all this stuff about financial difficulties.
MIND GAMES. :idea: :taunt:
No mind games at all Nigerians are swimming in it. :rotf: :rotf:

One only needs to attend a Nigerian function to see how affluent our Nigerian brethren and sistern are
Funds or no funds, the pussycats will be given a smack down..nonsense and ingredients..
Lord Jesus's please do not hide on Sunday. Mr Shows I will be be looking for you on Sunday. Chipolopolo! BULLET!!!
Once we have handled the plastic bullets, we will be on to you.. :taunt:
Please show your face here on Sunday! Jesus Christ!
:bump: :bump: :sneaky: :tic:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

bump
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

1naija wrote:bump
Why are you bumping? This actually highlights the folly of what Pinnick signed. Think about it. Nike are not obliged to pay NFF for the first 3 years of the contract.
They have now come up with serious kit that would rake them money. Everyone one wants to buy it and I'm sure a few non Naija fans will too. So now back to that contract - how much will NFF receive from this swanky kit?

I await your reply0, Mr. Bump :sneaky:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

pajimoh wrote:
Why are you bumping? This actually highlights the folly of what Pinnick signed. Think about it. Nike are not obliged to pay NFF for the first 3 years of the contract.
They have now come up with serious kit that would rake them money. Everyone one wants to buy it and I'm sure a few non Naija fans will too. So now back to that contract - how much will NFF receive from this swanky kit?

Check the terms of the contract, not the hear say version.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

1naija wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Then tell us the terms of the contract :?: :?:
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

pajimoh wrote:
1naija wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Then tell us the terms of the contract :?: :?:
Pajimoh is right, unless you are also 1-eyedNaijaman. You can't have it both ways; abeg tell us the terms of the contract.