EPL Has the Best Referees in the World

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
EPL Has the Best Referees in the World

Post by wiseone »

I despair at times when watching the organised banditry that goes by the name "refereeing" in La Liga and other leagues (even at Champions League level). Last night's Champions League games were demonstrative of the poor refereeing outside the EPL. Mistakes are made in EPL games, but rarely of this magnitude.

Madrid had THREE penalties in their match against Shakhtar Donestk. The most scandalous of which was given by the Croatian referee Ivan Bebek after CR7's shot hit Dario Srna on the back. When did the ball hitting a player on the back become a penalty offence? :shock: Srna clearly turned his back on the ball and did not raise his hands:

Then in the PSV -v- Man Utd game, poor Luke Shaw had his leg broken after a shocking horror tackle in the box by Hector Moreno. The ref did not even book Moreno (let alone give a red card as he deserved), or award Man Utd a penalty. The challenge was reckless and Moreno went in with excessive force (AKA red card offences). The image I saw of Shaw's shattered leg bone protruding out at an angle is horrifying.

[/video]
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: EPL Has the Best Referees in the World

Post by YUJAM »

Best refs my yansh..:lol:

They are competent. I'll give you that but they allow to much physical contact. They do not defend the skilled players.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

Not again
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

You guys need to make up your minds. Had he not broken his leg most EPL fans will tell you that that's a foul only in the soft #$% la Liga. That no ref calls that in the EPL.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

bonecrusher wrote:You guys need to make up your minds. Had he not broken his leg most EPL fans will tell you that that's a foul only in the soft #$% la Liga. That no ref calls that in the EPL.
It is colo-mentality at its worst! :twisted: :P
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

That Luke shaw injury was a hard tackle and unfortunately he got injured. That is the right call from the Ref.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

mmeny wrote:Not again
:clap: :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

the only solution for now is for EPL teams to get their act together on the pitch, adopt an us against the world mentality, and win CL games convincingly, ignore refs injustices and knockout these La Liga teams make it an all EPL Final.

That would be the way to shove it in these refs faces :biggrin:
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

benteke wrote:.
the only solution for now is for EPL teams to get their act together on the pitch, adopt an us against the world mentality, and win CL games convincingly, ignore refs injustices and knockout these La Liga teams make it an all EPL Final.

I will give the fighting part :D to the kung fu league..................they are really so good at fighting. :mrgreen:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

I think they need to concentrate on playing football locally. you cannot do a rugby-football hybrid game week in week out and expect to consistently beat teams that play pure football.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Molue Conductor wrote:

I think they need to concentrate on playing football locally. you cannot do a rugby-football hybrid game week in week out and expect to consistently beat teams that play pure football.
we will come back to this topic in the latter stages of CL :thumbs:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Ref is favouring Barcelona, as usual
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Ref is favouring Barcelona, as usual
I thought I was the only one that saw Mascherano pulling someon down from the back in the box and getting away with it
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The weak "penalties I see weekly in La Liga are jaw dropping. Most forms of physical contact in the box are deemed penalties, and the ball hitting defenders on the shoulder and in the stomach are deemed "handball" offences.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

I understand that some decisions (the Srna penalty!) were bad, why would EPL referees any better? How many times did EPL refs show a red card to the wrong player last season? Also remember the World Cup final 2010 (especially the Nigel de Jong kick)? Wasn´t an English referee that showed Simunic three yellow cards in one game at the World Cup 2006? Or the Tottenham offside call last season?
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

kofi86 wrote:I understand that some decisions (the Srna penalty!) were bad, why would EPL referees any better? How many times did EPL refs show a red card to the wrong player last season? Also remember the World Cup final 2010 (especially the Nigel de Jong kick)? Wasn´t an English referee that showed Simunic three yellow cards in one game at the World Cup 2006? Or the Tottenham offside call last season?
Mentioning the WC final example is weak. Most people agreed that that decision was purely based on discretion and it was best for the match.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: @ an all english final. Our man at the top Platini will make sure this doesnt happen. For the sake of true football fans of course. Nooone wants a final in which balls fly at 100mph over midfielders heads, some wrestling in both 18 yard areas and aimless shooting for 90 mins :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Samora Machel wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: @ an all english final. Our man at the top Platini will make sure this doesnt happen. For the sake of true football fans of course. Nooone wants a final in which balls fly at 100mph over midfielders heads, some wrestling in both 18 yard areas and aimless shooting for 90 mins :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is a myth and you now that. You guys often use this as an argument but that's not really the case. Most teams put the ball on the ground in the EPL. I don't know which side plays kick and follow in the EPL. It only exists in prejudicial and biased imaginations.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

anointed wrote:
kofi86 wrote:I understand that some decisions (the Srna penalty!) were bad, why would EPL referees any better? How many times did EPL refs show a red card to the wrong player last season? Also remember the World Cup final 2010 (especially the Nigel de Jong kick)? Wasn´t an English referee that showed Simunic three yellow cards in one game at the World Cup 2006? Or the Tottenham offside call last season?
Mentioning the WC final example is weak. Most people agreed that that decision was purely based on discretion and it was best for the match.
There is no descretion in that example. Also Howard Webb himself said that he did not show a red card, because he did not really see it.
He admits for the first time that had he had a better view of the incident where the Dutch midfielder Nigel de Jong kicked Spain's Xabi Alonso in the chest he would have reached for a red card rather than yellow. "Having seen it again from my armchair, I would red-card him," the 39-year-old Yorkshire official said.

"The trouble in the actual game was that I had a poor view of that particular incident. I was looking through the back of Alonso and though I could see the foot was high, I could not be certain of the extent of the contact. It wasn't that I didn't want to send anyone off because it was a World Cup final, though I was mindful of the fact that the game was the pinnacle of the players' careers as well as of mine. I just wasn't prepared to take a guess 25 minutes into the game."
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -cup-final
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

anointed wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:

This is a myth and you now that. You guys often use this as an argument but that's not really the case. Most teams put the ball on the ground in the EPL. I don't know which side plays kick and follow in the EPL. It only exists in prejudicial and biased imaginations.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You are right but i do enjoy taking digs at the english style. Fair enough they keep the ball on the ground but their style is rarely pleasing to the eye. Its mainly hoof the ball upfield and hope it lands kindly for your strikers :rotf: :rotf:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Maybe EPL teams should start beating Croatian, Bulgarian or Swiss teams first before you dream of beating La Liga teams :idea:
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

kofi86 wrote:
anointed wrote:
There is no descretion in that example. Also Howard Webb himself said that he did not show a red card, because he did not really see it.
He admits for the first time that had he had a better view of the incident where the Dutch midfielder Nigel de Jong kicked Spain's Xabi Alonso in the chest he would have reached for a red card rather than yellow. "Having seen it again from my armchair, I would red-card him," the 39-year-old Yorkshire official said.

"The trouble in the actual game was that I had a poor view of that particular incident. I was looking through the back of Alonso and though I could see the foot was high, I could not be certain of the extent of the contact. It wasn't that I didn't want to send anyone off because it was a World Cup final, though I was mindful of the fact that the game was the pinnacle of the players' careers as well as of mine. I just wasn't prepared to take a guess 25 minutes into the game."
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -cup-final
End of the day, it was discretion and was the best decision for the final. Anyway, I was talking of fans' impression of how he handled that incident before he went to confession and restituted.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Samora Machel wrote:

i remember how unhappy the UEFA officials looked in the VIP area during that all EPL final ,Man U vs Chelsea in '08 :laugh:

I remember Platini also made some comments about English football domination around that time, he was scared they would dominate totally because of the new riches, he only toned down when PSG was bought by Qataris.

Michael Platini has launched a surprising attack on the foreign ownership of English football clubs.

Platini, the president of Uefa, has revealed his dislike for the increasing foreign investment in the Premier League.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa are among a number of top flight clubs who have been taken over by owners from abroad and Platini insists that something must be done.

"I can't understand how so many English clubs are owned by foreign people," Platini told Sky Sports News.
Identity

"I think we can do something. I don't know why Americans come to buy some clubs. You need your identity.

"I can't understand why some English clubs are owned by Americans because they do not come for the beauty of the game, for the romance of the football in England.

"They come because they want to make money. We need to defend that.

"If you have Manchester against Liverpool it is part of the population of the cities.

"But now if you have an owner from America against an owner from Russia, I don't like it."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ign-owners