2017 Nigerian Premier League - Plateau United Champions!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2017 Nigerian Premier League

Post by oloye »

Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:Currently in Naija and was privileged to watch my Rangers get mauled in Makudi by Lobi stars. The saving grace for Rangers was that Lobi were wasteful in front of goals....it could easily have been six.

I don't know if Rangers were poor ni o or Lobi were simply too good. But the game was entertaining and standard of play quite impressive, especially Lobi. They have a boy in their midfield he plays as DM, but he bossed the middle with his calmness,vision and fighting ability. I hope he is not a flash because he stood out above the others in the park.
Rangers came in with a nonsense approach trying to kill the game with the shenanigans of going down from every niggling touch. It was a stupid approach in a game that they had the edge in the opening minutes. I did not see anything special about Rangers nor did I spot any player that caught the eye save for one short winger they had.
I can see why they were bundled out of the continent and why they have struggled. By the way I also noticed an unhealthy heavy presence of the ex players. They even have their own bus which brought them down to Makurdi, this cannot augur well for the team. It appears they all hover around the club like vultures looking for scraps. I hope am wrong,the criteria for coaching or working for Rangers should not solely be because you an an ex, it should be closely tied to competence. The guy I saw prancing the touchline like a tout cannot be Rangers coach... Nooo....the status of Rangers is bigger than that image I saw on the touchline.

Anyway I am enjoying naija,they say recession..what recession, joints are packed full every night. Isi-ewu has suffered from my hands down here..Amadioha fire all the harbingers of fake and hate news!
Oloye,

Did you write all this based on watching one game? I am indeed surprised as it appears to capture all that people have complained about.
Let us just say I try to savour everything around me, especially in the football environment. When you are able to come close to the management you see a lot more.

I was acknowledged by the Lobi team so I got to sit right beside their management, most of whom were friends and colleagues. Everything I wrote,I saw..the ex players bus caught my eyes as it was parked beside the team bus. I saw CCC in the VIP box with a team of ex...I walked over to shake his hands, he remains my hero since childhood,I still gush with excitement just seeing him.

If I am right I think Akuneto is the coach, I recognise him as one of those players I played against before. The bench was all former boys. They have some Enugu ish going on around the team..this I got from the comment of a friend around.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:Currently in Naija and was privileged to watch my Rangers get mauled in Makudi by Lobi stars. The saving grace for Rangers was that Lobi were wasteful in front of goals....it could easily have been six.

I don't know if Rangers were poor ni o or Lobi were simply too good. But the game was entertaining and standard of play quite impressive, especially Lobi. They have a boy in their midfield he plays as DM, but he bossed the middle with his calmness,vision and fighting ability. I hope he is not a flash because he stood out above the others in the park.
Rangers came in with a nonsense approach trying to kill the game with the shenanigans of going down from every niggling touch. It was a stupid approach in a game that they had the edge in the opening minutes. I did not see anything special about Rangers nor did I spot any player that caught the eye save for one short winger they had.
I can see why they were bundled out of the continent and why they have struggled. By the way I also noticed an unhealthy heavy presence of the ex players. They even have their own bus which brought them down to Makurdi, this cannot augur well for the team. It appears they all hover around the club like vultures looking for scraps. I hope am wrong,the criteria for coaching or working for Rangers should not solely be because you an an ex, it should be closely tied to competence. The guy I saw prancing the touchline like a tout cannot be Rangers coach... Nooo....the status of Rangers is bigger than that image I saw on the touchline.

Anyway I am enjoying naija,they say recession..what recession, joints are packed full every night. Isi-ewu has suffered from my hands down here..Amadioha fire all the harbingers of fake and hate news!
Oloye,

Did you write all this based on watching one game? I am indeed surprised as it appears to capture all that people have complained about.
Let us just say I try to savour everything around me, especially in the football environment. When you are able to come close to the management you see a lot more.

I was acknowledged by the Lobi team so I got to sit right beside their management, most of whom were friends and colleagues. Everything I wrote,I saw..the ex players bus caught my eyes as it was parked beside the team bus. I saw CCC in the VIP box with a team of ex...I walked over to shake his hands, he remains my hero since childhood,I still gush with excitement just seeing him.

If I am right I think Akuneto is the coach, I recognise him as one of those players I played against before. The bench was all former boys. They have some Enugu ish going on around the team..this I got from the comment of a friend around.
The sad thing for the club is that the insularity was a factor in making the club trophyless. Now after a championship, everyone wanted back in. But one must also acknowledge that there are serious money issues with the club as well.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Oga Oloye, the highlighted is one of the mysteries I've always mused about concerning the Nigerian league...
Everytime a team plays away, the team plays crap...Lobi Stars that you gushed about; watch them play an away game and you won't believe its the same team you saw at Makurdi...

Maybe, someone like you who played in the domestic league could give an insight to the reason our clubs always play way below their level at away games...
Surely, the reason cannot solely be the poor welfare of players..?

To be sure, this is a new phenomenom; I followed the local league in the 80s and this was not the case...

How can Nigerian clubs do well in the continent when they cannot even perform well in away games within Nigerian shores...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

FATHER TIKO wrote:

Oga Oloye, the highlighted is one of the mysteries I've always mused about concerning the Nigerian league...
Everytime a team plays away, the team plays crap...Lobi Stars that you gushed about; watch them play an away game and you won't believe its the same team you saw at Makurdi...

Maybe, someone like you who played in the domestic league could give an insight to the reason our clubs always play way below their level at away games...
Surely, the reason cannot solely be the poor welfare of players..?

To be sure, this is a new phenomenom; I followed the local league in the 80s and this was not the case...

How can Nigerian clubs do well in the continent when they cannot even perform well in away games within Nigerian shores...
It is a psychological thing,teams go away games expecting to be robbed. So they approach the game in a negative manner. An away draw is as good as a win..so the target is usually a draw.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

oloye wrote:Anyway I am enjoying naija, they say recession..what recession, joints are packed full every night. Isi-ewu has suffered from my hands down here..Amadioha fire all the harbingers of fake and hate news!
Oloye, an economy being in recession does not mean the number of rich people is now zero. It doesn't even necessarily mean the number of rich people reduces. Depending on which economy you are talking about, the nature/length of the recession, and what you mean by "middle class", there might not even have been an overly significant alteration in the size of the "middle class" by the end of the recession, relative to what it was the recession started.

However, Nigeria is not rich enough (even in those years when our economy is supposedly "booming"), nor are we politically managed well enough (regardless of who is in charge), to afford to be in recession for long (or at all).
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The Eagle wrote:
oloye wrote:Anyway I am enjoying naija, they say recession..what recession, joints are packed full every night. Isi-ewu has suffered from my hands down here..Amadioha fire all the harbingers of fake and hate news!
Oloye, an economy being in recession does not mean the number of rich people is now zero. It doesn't even necessarily mean the number of rich people reduces. Depending on which economy you are talking about, the nature/length of the recession, and what you mean by "middle class", there might not even have been an overly significant alteration in the size of the "middle class" by the end of the recession, relative to what it was the recession started.

However, Nigeria is not rich enough (even in those years when our economy is supposedly "booming"), nor are we politically managed well enough (regardless of who is in charge), to afford to be in recession for long (or at all).
My brother am not talking of rich people oh.....am talking of average naija joints. The last time I was in naija was in 2014, to be honest the level of flenjoing and igbaladun I see this time around has left me confused as to the real situation on the ground. There are joints everywhere unlike before where most would be empty, they are full and alive every night. Maybe the people are drinking away their despair or maybe they have simply chosen to drown it with bottle of beer.

ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Dean Oloye, well done oo! Yes, this is the story of Rangers 2017, back to the habits that kept us down for 32 years. Abeg, enjoy your leave, Rangers will rise again...soon.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

ukwala wrote:

Dean Oloye, well done oo! Yes, this is the story of Rangers 2017, back to the habits that kept us down for 32 years. Abeg, enjoy your leave, Rangers will rise again...soon.
Thanks my broda...yes oh Rangers must rise and live forever!

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Well done Bros Oloye.... :clap:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Gotti wrote:

OLOYE Baba:
Abeg make sure you land in Enugu on Sunday (July 9th) because the Oluyole Warriors will be the guests of your agbero Rangers that day. It will be great for you to see how Oluyole Warriors will walk out of Coal City with 3 points on Sunday. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Toxicarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

OLOYE Baba:
Abeg make sure you land in Enugu on Sunday (July 9th) because the Oluyole Warriors will be the guests of your agbero Rangers that day. It will be great for you to see how Oluyole Warriors will walk out of Coal City with 3 points on Sunday. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Nigeria's El clasico :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Toxicarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

OLOYE Baba:
Would have been tempted to travel down to Enugu to watch, but who wants to watch a one sided encounter?

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

zee wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

OLOYE Baba:
Nigeria's El clasico :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

oloye wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

OLOYE Baba:
Would have been tempted to travel down to Enugu to watch, but who wants to watch a one sided encounter?
Hmmm....excuse don dey happen. Abeg say the truth: fear dey catch you that Rangers would be disgraced.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Match Day 28 full-time scores:
Wikki 2-0 Pillars
Rangers 1-1 3SC
Katsina 2-1 Lobi
Enyimba 3-0 Tornadoes
Plateau Utd 3-0 Akwa Utd
Gombe Utd 2-0 El-Kanemi
Abia Warriors 2-0 Nasarawa Utd
ABS 2-4 Sunshine Stars
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Toxicarrow wrote:
oloye wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

OLOYE Baba:
Hmmm....excuse don dey happen. Abeg say the truth: fear dey catch you that Rangers would be disgraced.
So, Oloye, did you see how Oluyole Warriors torture Rangers yesterday?
For two seasons in a row, Rangers have not recorded any victory over 3SC.
It has been Oluyole Warriors' affairs all through - 2 wins and 2 ties. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Be careful how you flash pounds O!

Holla if you come to Lagos.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Toxicarrow wrote:So, Oloye, did you see how Oluyole Warriors torture Rangers yesterday?
It has been Oluyole Warriors' affairs all through - 2 wins and 2 ties. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

truetalk wrote:

Be careful how you flash pounds O!

Holla if you come to Lagos.
Hahaha I wish I have pounds to flash. Thanks for the offer unfortunately I won't be coming anywhere near Lagos. No plans to do so on this trip. Spending quality time with my in-laws ,stuffing myself with piundo somewhere in Benue state :D

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Gotti wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:So, Oloye, did you see how Oluyole Warriors torture Rangers yesterday?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
How I wish the result could help Shooting,unfortunately not so. These Ibadan stars are about tone dimmed for another season

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I think it is time for MFM to look at building a bigger stadium to generate more revenue. Sell stocks to help finance the new stadium. Government must be banned from owning stocks or any interest in the club. Must remain a strictly privately owned club.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote:I think it is time for MFM to look at building a bigger stadium to generate more revenue. Sell stocks to help finance the new stadium. Government must be banned from owning stocks or any interest in the club. Must remain a strictly privately owned club.
Bros, very few clubs have become viable in the long term as stock companies, let alone having this type of ownership in the Nigerian environment.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Probably NPFL's best coach for some years now. Others include Boboye and Ogunbote.
'Akwa Utd play best football in NPFL'
by Sammy Wejinya 14 July 2017, 19:48
https://www.supersport.com/football/nig ... ll_in_NPFL

Akwa United head coach Abdu Maikaba reckons his side play the most aesthetic brand of football in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).

The experienced trainer has hit great heights with the Promise Keepers this term following his departure from Wikki Tourists at the end of last season.
United currently occupy fourth spot on the NPFL standings and have suffered only two defeats in their last 11 domestic matches.

“Yes, I agree that we are playing some of the best football in the NPFL currently,” Maikaba told supersport.com.

“But I cannot mark my own exams script myself but since people are saying it too (that Akwa United plays some of the best football in the division), it is not far from the truth.

“I am happy that people are rating us high,” he said.

Akwa United sit just three points away from the Caf Champions League qualification spots in the NPFL standings and they have played a game less than the three sides currently above them on the log.

With just 10 more rounds of matches to go this season, the Uyo club are within striking distance of a place on the continent next term.

Maikaba however insists that only total focus from all stakeholders of the club will see them achieve set objectives at the end of the season.

“If we want to achieve our objectives this season (of getting a Caf Champions League ticket), we have to remain focussed.

“We also have to continue working hard as we have from the beginning of the season.

“I believe we got to our present position through focus and hard work and to maintain it, we must continue on that path,” he concluded.

Akwa United return to NPFL action on Sunday when they face Gombe United at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium as the competition enters Matchday 29.

A win for United on Sunday in Uyo could see them move to second on the standings, depending on results elsewhere.