Have you noticed more teams playing three at the back?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Have you noticed more teams playing three at the back?

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) Have you all noticed the trend this season of more teams playing three at the back?
(2) Last season, virtually everyone was playing a back four but they had changed now
(3) Last season, almost everyone played 4-3-3 with one main striker
(4) Today we are seeing a mixture of line-ups
(5) Most teams play a combination of a back four and a back three
(6) Havd you also noticed that teams are prepared to risk playing two strikers again?
(7) Come the World Cup, I expect to see a diversity of formations
(8) So far, Gernot Rohr has stuck to 4-3-3 but he may need to give himself more options
(9) I expect him to try out 3-6-1 and 3-5-2 in certain friendlies
(10) For me, this will speed up his search for wingbacks and a playmaker
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Have you noticed more teams playing three at the back?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Could it have more to with the lack of top quality full backs? Particularly on the left. Btw, Rohr Knows he has one of the highest rated up and coming RB in the world in Nura Abdullahi. He just renewed his contract at Roma till 2021. A 343 with Nura as RWB is top quality but we don’t have a LWB yet. Joel Obi could certainly play that role but we’d have to sacrifice one of onazi or Ndidi, assuming Mikel is the other MF.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) Have you all noticed the trend this season of more teams playing three at the back?
(2) Last season, virtually everyone was playing a back four but they had changed now
(6) Havd you also noticed that teams are prepared to risk playing two strikers again?
(8) So far, Gernot Rohr has stuck to 4-3-3 but he may need to give himself more options
Ayo,

Rohr regularly plays 4-2-3-1 not a 4-3-3. Defensively, as was seen in Yaounde, he played a 4-5-1.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...we will see if that will translate at 2018 wc.
Back 3 is suited for club level, where players know each other more and play frequently.
May be top national teams will adapt better because of their top and experienced players.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) Have you all noticed the trend this season of more teams playing three at the back?

Do you mean in EPL or across the European leagues or international football.

I did notice that in the EPL fixtures this past weekend, it seems to be on fashion.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I notice that playing 3 at the back is in vogue now. Although he didn't invent it, Conte has made playing 3 at the back and using wingbacks popular. Teams are trying to copy the success he achieved at Chelsea last season. We'll see if formations like 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 are hear to stay, or if they are just a passing fad.

In my opinion, the wingbacks can make or break the 3-5-2. If you don't have wingbacks with the stamina and speed to play both ways, the formation falls apart. Communication among the back 3 is also paramount when you have 3 at the back.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

You mean 5-3-2? :sneaky: :winking:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

olu wrote:I notice that playing 3 at the back is in vogue now. Although he didn't invent it, Conte has made playing 3 at the back and using wingbacks popular. Teams are trying to copy the success he achieved at Chelsea last season. We'll see if formations like 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 are hear to stay, or if they are just a passing fad.

In my opinion, the wingbacks can make or break the 3-5-2. If you don't have wingbacks with the stamina and speed to play both ways, the formation falls apart. Communication among the back 3 is also paramount when you have 3 at the back.
In recent times, Mancini tried it with City in his last season, and players rejected it.
I think the likes of Redknapp used it a lot during time at Spurs if I'm not mistaken.
Brendan Rodgers also tried it at Liverpool, it got him the sack.
Then Van Gaal also tried it and it was rejected by United fans.
It's just in fashion right now, maybe until the next exciting formation comes along, and that one would be nothing new either.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

3 at the back might be in vogue but it is not for everybody. You need tactically astute and intelligent players to make it work, but if executed properly, it strengthens the defense relative to 4 at the back

Wha choo looking at?!